Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,855 members, 7,802,741 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council (697 Views)

How Guys Use Marriage To Plunge Themselves Into Perpetual Poverty. / My 14-Year-Old Daughter Was Caught In Hotel With Boys, Smoking, Drinking / Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council by Abbeyme: 6:25am On Oct 14, 2016
Emir’s marriage to 14-year-old irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council

THE Katsina Emirate Council on Thursday declared that the marriage between 14-year-old girl, Habiba Isa, and the Emir of Katsina, Alhaji Abdulmumin Usman, was irreversible.

The council said the marriage and Isa’s conversion to Islam were voluntarily and willingly entered into by the girl.

The council told officials of the Katsina State chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria, who visited Usman in his palace over the issue, that there was no evidence that the 14-year-old girl was forced to act against her wish.

The family of Isiyaku Tanko of Warkaza community in the Kudun Kankara Local Government Area of Katsina State on Wednesday alleged that Usman forcefully abducted their 14-year-old daughter and forced her into marrying him.

She was said to have been abducted on August 16, 2016, by one Jamilu Lawal, an aide of the emir, who worked in the palace. She was converted to Islam and held incommunicado.

Isa is expected to clock 15 years on Saturday, October 15, 2016, and would have resumed school for the new academic term, but for her abduction.

She was said to have passed her Junior Secondary School Certificate Examination and was expected to start Senior Secondary School.

The incident was blown open when the father of the victim lodged a complaint with Stefanos Foundation, a humanitarian civil rights organisation, which took over the matter.

Isa was allowed to appear before CAN officials and others in the palace on Thursday, and was asked three questions by the Kaora Katsina, Alhaji Nuhu Abdulkadir, on behalf of the emirate council.

She was asked whether she was forcefully converted to Islam, to which she replied no.

She was also asked whether the emirate council or any other person forced her into the marriage with the emir, to which she also answered no.

The third question was whether by the time she met her husband, she was already experiencing menstrual period, to which she answered yes.

The Kaora Katsina said, “The three questions are in line with the dictates of the Islamic religion. Since Isa has voluntarily answered the three questions in our presence, there is no going back on her marriage.”

Abdulkadir explained that in as much as the emirate council would not want to be involved in the controversy surrounding the marriage, the palace of the emir was open to all Nigerians irrespective of religion and tribe.

A letter purportedly written by Isa’s father was read to the gathering, apologising to the emirate council for any embarrassment the issue might have caused it (the council).

The CAN Chairman for Katsina State, Very Rev. Nelson Ugochukwu, however, told the emirate council that Isa’s marriage did not have the consent of her parents, who he said, were crying for justice in Abuja.

The CAN leader said the association was not in support of the marriage and her conversion to Islam.

He said, “This girl (Isa) standing before us is 14 years. She is supposed to be in school and not given out in marriage.

“We are not pleased and we demand justice. Her parents are in Abuja, crying for justice. In my religion, you cannot give out any lady in marriage without the consent of her parents. This marriage does not have the consent of this little girl’s parent. The parents are not happy with what has happened.

As the CAN chairman in Katsina, I am the father of all Christians in the state. Our people are not happy. The parents told me that the girl is 14 years. She is supposed to be in school. I want justice to be done in this matter. I want the emirate to look into the matter. To us, the girl is still a Christian.

http://punchng.com/emirs-marriage-14-year-old-irreversible-katsina-emirate-council/

Re: Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council by ademasta(m): 6:25am On Oct 14, 2016
undecided
Re: Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council by saintkel(m): 6:33am On Oct 14, 2016
14 years? God! Dis guys r evil n wicked. So a 14 year old girl is old enough to take decision?, omo make I go look for 16 year old muslim girl sef. Mad people. Just imagine d kind of people we wana live with

1 Like

Re: Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council by thunder74(m): 6:37am On Oct 14, 2016
How did we get to this level oh Lord? Please forgive our sins and do the needful in this nation.

1 Like

Re: Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 14, 2016
Children of now a days na WA for them.... Does it mean d series of children who happen to be Muslims are finished for them to dim it fit to convert a 14 year old Christian girl for marriage?what Is this world turning into? Hmmmm, Ese Oruru comes to Mind
Re: Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council by hopeforcharles(m): 6:38am On Oct 14, 2016
Interesting even the elites are doing it, then what should we expect from the lower class, Islam hmmm, God knows I can't even in the dreams give it a second thought, if their mind can't tell them they are wrong i wonder.
Re: Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council by cindyrocks(f): 6:49am On Oct 14, 2016
This is statutory rape.
Re: Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council by Tallesty1(m): 6:55am On Oct 14, 2016
These guys have no shame at all
Re: Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council by abtywo(m): 7:00am On Oct 14, 2016
How can u marry somebody without her parent consent... This is abduction, rape etc Telling us is her wish they have hypnotised her. Justice must be done
Re: Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council by loomer: 7:13am On Oct 14, 2016
But why these people useless like this?
Re: Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council by Abbeyme: 7:23am On Oct 14, 2016
These people would just act and talk as if all power actually belong to them.

How could they ever change? How.
Re: Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council by Abiagirl777(f): 9:01am On Oct 14, 2016
God punish all of you,how can I raise my child then a stranger abducts her,converts her,marries and still stand up to my face to tell me its in line with their godforsaken religion,2 ppl must die that day.is our girl children still safe,what is all these nonsense?

1 Like

Re: Emir’s Marriage To 14-year-old Irreversible – Katsina Emirate Council by Nobody: 2:25pm On Oct 14, 2016
If the parents of this underaged girl refuses to give their daughter in marriage to you, is it by force?!

And the irony of this is that most of these men will never give out their own daughters till she finishes school abroad and it's even the now mature lady that will bring back her fiance to meet her father for approval and blessings.

The North has a really huge social divide. They are so unfair to the poor/average family. Can you imagine? Taking someone's daughter by force because you are an Emir!

(1) (Reply)

Festival Of Tears : 6 Children Poisoned To Death To Be Buried November 5th / Help / On 12.12 Lucky Day, What Do They Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.