Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,353 members, 7,808,235 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone (20432 Views)

Why Should The North (with 230 Tribes) Plot Against Just 1 Tribe- Yoruba? / Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN / Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Go Down)

Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by KnowAll(m): 3:02pm On Oct 23, 2009
My wife and inlaws are all Akata. . . And I am still alive and kicking your stupid tribalist butt!

I am sure u don’t wake your wife up every morning with the derogatory words u have use against the creoles on  this forum neither do u remind her that her stock is less than that of other humans, hers being that of West African slaves.

I can see the similarity between u and that gentleman that was stabbed, all mouth.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by KnowAll(m): 3:19pm On Oct 23, 2009
@Uche

Its a sensitive issue alright but not one we can hide from. Actually, its one of the points that the African Americans will raise anytime U enter into any kind of discourse with them on issues concerning race and heritage.

The topic on this thread is not about African- Americans but about Yoruba Muslims I suggest u go read the link file on Page 1.

Why sweep it under the rug? It happened, it happened and yes, we as a race have to bear some of the responsibility or at least acknowledge that we didnt do our best to protect our own. That our fore fathers were involved in slave trade didnt and wouldnt in anyway make it right and it is not self defeacation in any form or manner if someone decides to discuss about what happened.

All what u are talking about here is completely different from the Afro-America experience, here we have uncovered a treasure of information about the mystery of this muslim Yoruba’s who have being living in isolation in SL. I think anybody who has a vague interest in anthropology will find this topic to be exciting and incredible.

I will suggest u familiarise your self with the story they are not in my own words.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 3:21pm On Oct 23, 2009
KnowAll:

I am sure u don’t wake your wife up every morning with the derogatory words u have use against the creoles on this forum neither do u remind her that her stock is less than that of other humans, hers being that of West African slaves.

I cannot see the similarity between u and that gentleman that was stabbed, all mouth.

Why do you continue talking stupidly, do you really have to? So acknowledging the part we played in slavery is derogatory to our victims? No wonder your user id is "knowall"; you know what they say about fools. . .

I have acknowledged that we must share the shame of the predicament placed on the blacks in the diaspora. I really want to refrain from calling people like you who see nothing wrong with selling their own into slavery, beasts.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 3:34pm On Oct 23, 2009
mukina2:

This is not true abeg.

see eh Fulatown people do not call themselves Yoruba but Oku, you are making it seem like., they want to call themselves that and they fear the Government.

Krio is the language, Creole is the tribe and majority of Creolea are Christians.

Foulah Town people are called Oku and not krio.

Even the words you say kaboh and Ekushe are only used by really old people, the only words that are normally used are 'komojadeh', Eleykew' and few others.

They are sierra Leoneans full Sierra Leoneans.

Tell them my sister.

@knowall

Thats from a Sierra Leonean.
What part of your forlorn argument is left? Both the moral and tribalistic angles have been neutered.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Kennyblues(m): 3:43pm On Oct 23, 2009
“e Karroh” (Yoruba word for ‘how are you’)
E ka ro is good morning , while Bawo nio is how are you in Yoruba. smiley smiley
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by mukina2: 4:36pm On Oct 23, 2009
Beaf and Simplychic

can you take it easy on the insults?

Please? you can make your point without insults.

I just read through the last pages again, please guys
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 5:16pm On Oct 23, 2009
mukina2:

Beaf and Simplychic

can you take it easy on the insults?

Please? you can make your point without insults.

I just read through the last pages again, please guys

I hear you my dear.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by MandingoII(m): 6:01pm On Oct 23, 2009
Creoles are French & Black.

They are moreso a "RULING CLASS" than actually French/Black.

In other words, they were the sycophants of the the whites.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by illusion2: 7:01pm On Oct 23, 2009
Beaf:

This is why I keep calling you FOOL.

My wife and inlaws are all Akata. . . [b]
Akata is a derogatory term my friend. . . how does it sound. . .'My wife & inlaws are African Americans? undecided
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by becomrich15: 7:06pm On Oct 23, 2009
knowall, leave beaf and his gang of mossop, they believe anything yoruba is not good, they are tribalist. They also believe anything white is not good. they are sick human. i normally never read the nonsense they write.

krios are yoruba go read your book. bankole is a yoruba name and even nigeria speaker name is bankole.

Do you know Nobel prize Prof wole soyinka and fela kuti. ?
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 7:07pm On Oct 23, 2009
illusion2:

Akata is a derogatory term my friend. . . how does it sound. . .'My wife & inlaws are African Americans? undecided

News to me.
That is another argument, but I'll edit that post.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by sjeezy8: 8:06pm On Oct 23, 2009
Whats all the argument for ?
How would they consider themselves "yoruba" when the word yoruba was used by the british? Back then yorubas didn't call themselves yorubas they refered to eachothers town or common sayings.

Oku is shorten from the Yoruba word Oku- o used in sierra leone to refer to creoles of yoruba descent. ajayi crowther born in oyo raised in sierre leone.
http://books.google.com/books?id=z6MU26QTvbIC&pg=PA401&lpg=PA401&dq=oku+in+sierra+leone&source=bl&ots=sRJ9sxgxxJ&sig=LTesINMz6lL2a1W6UySku1nXqPk&hl=en&ei=H_rhSsq8KJDtlAeYz-SKBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CBkQ6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=oku%20in%20sierra%20leone&f=false

Just as :"Nago" is used in brazil.
"lucumi" is used in cuba

"Yoruba" word isn't from oduduwa orignal language
Im not understanding the argument here we all know of the yorubas in Lagos state and Ogun who bear english/portuguese surnames. We all know how yorubas are yorubas from sun up to sun down, and how clingy they are.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 8:24pm On Oct 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

Whats all the argument for ?
How would they consider themselves "yoruba" when the word yoruba was used by the british? Back then yorubas didn't call themselves yorubas they refered to eachothers town or common sayings.

Oku is shorten from the Yoruba word Oku- o used in sierra leone to refer to creoles of yoruba descent. ajayi crowther born in oyo raised in sierre leone.
http://books.google.com/books?id=z6MU26QTvbIC&pg=PA401&lpg=PA401&dq=oku+in+sierra+leone&source=bl&ots=sRJ9sxgxxJ&sig=LTesINMz6lL2a1W6UySku1nXqPk&hl=en&ei=H_rhSsq8KJDtlAeYz-SKBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CBkQ6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=oku%20in%20sierra%20leone&f=false

Just as :"Nago" is used in brazil.
"lucumi" is used in cuba

"Yoruba" word isn't from oduduwa orignal language
Im not understanding the argument here we all know of the yorubas in Lagos state and Ogun who bear english/portuguese surnames. We all know how yorubas are yorubas from sun up to sun down, and how clingy they are.

The argument is that nobody from any ethnic group has the right to be proud that the Oku were originally from their ethnic group. Reason? They were sold into slavery and have survived without recompense by the now suddenly "proud" ethnic group. Someone here suggested earlier that we bury what is not and cannot be hidden; that we sold each other, wives, lovers, kids, sons etc.
Let's cut out the "Yoruba" here, because the same conclusion applies to every part of Nigeria.

We need to apologise to our kith and kin that were sold and we need to compensate them in some way. Ghana has done things like giving them land and their govt is engaged in several campaigns to welcome them back home.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by sjeezy8: 8:39pm On Oct 23, 2009
Beaf:

The argument is that nobody from any ethnic group has the right to be proud that the Oku were originally from their ethnic group. Reason? They were sold into slavery and have survived without recompense by the now suddenly "proud" ethnic group. Someone here suggested earlier that we bury what is not and cannot be hidden; that we sold each other, wives, lovers, kids, sons etc.
Let's cut out the "Yoruba" here, because the same conclusion applies to every part of Nigeria.

We need to apologise to our kith and kin that were sold and we need to compensate them in some way. Ghana has done things like giving them land and their govt is engaged in several campaigns to welcome them back home.

The fact of the matter is they are proud of their heritage and this isn't a nigerian thing its a yoruba thing. Thats like saying black americans should not be proud of being of african descent. Eko/Lagos/abeokuta was the home for repatriated yoruba slaves.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by ikeyman00(m): 8:40pm On Oct 23, 2009
@@@@@@@@@@@@@

[size=32pt]trait!!![/size] for real

now lets face it; how many of these people as we are talkin wll agree to relate to oduduwa

no way; not the seirra leone i know; no way!!! but becomerich and co does otherwise lipsrsealed

not even mukina; what, nigeria? no way

to say that becomerich dnt need mental help hmmmmm. .  . . hope aint too late; we are watchin
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by bawomolo(m): 8:42pm On Oct 23, 2009
nigerians want to claim everything
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by ikeyman00(m): 8:43pm On Oct 23, 2009
The fact of the matter is they are proud of their heritage and this isn't a nigerian thing its a yoruba thing. Thats like saying black americans should not be proud of being of african descent. Eko/Lagos/abeokuta was the home for repatriated yoruba slaves.

hahhaa aa grin grin grin
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by ikeyman00(m): 8:46pm On Oct 23, 2009
@@@@@

will the kwa group in congo accept they are igbos lipsrsealed

will ebos in oyo and co accept they are colonized by the oduduwa; will the yorubas accept that

i think we as nigerians need to look inwards first abi? before poking in sierra leone
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by sjeezy8: 8:51pm On Oct 23, 2009
You are not yoruba so lemmi clue you in

sjeezy8:

Ooni of ife in benin to visit benin yorubas:
In his response, Oba Sijuwade, who described the Award as a surprise, said that it was an honour done to the 246 million Yoruba inhabitants all over the world.

According to the Ooni, “We thank the President for the Award. We thank him for the honour done to the Yoruba Obas and the 246 million Yoruba inhabitants in Cuba, Argentina, Brazil, Trinidad and Tobago and other parts of the world.
The Ooni, who said that traditional rulers in West Africa were getting in touch with one another, stated that one of the rulers from Accra, Ghana had written a letter of proposed visit to Ile – Ife, claiming that his ancestors hailed from Yorubaland.

people of yoruba decent have always come back and forth to yorubaland. The ooni has been asked to visit many countries but due to health he is limited.
This isn't a Nigerian thing its a yoruba thing. Yoruba is bigger than Nigeria, so anything that concerns yorubas is not only exclusive to  yoruba Nigerians.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 8:53pm On Oct 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

The heritage that sold them? angry
It is a Nigerian thing. Something needs to be done to make things up properly with our folk in the diaspora. The past should never be blotted out, no matter how shameful, disgraceful or embarrassing.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 23, 2009
geez this bitterness and oneupmanship has eaten deep into the Nigerian psyche.

See how Beaf wants to scatter the place over people recognizing their Yoruba ancestry. Is the fellow well at all?

There are people of English, Scottish and Irish heritage in the US who have been there for generations. Some came as indentured labor while others came as free men. Do they have a problem with their ancestry and why should someone flog the issue the way Beaf and ikeyman are doing here?

what buffoons.

smh

I even mentioned an Igbo girl who says her Igbo ancestors came from Sierra leone yet these two pretenders still got their panties in a twist over this matter. And anyone who wants to apologize to the descendants of the freed slaves should do so nah- is someone preventing him?

There are people of diverse backgrounds in sierra leone- not only Nigerian. Other countries nationals' were also taken there.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 23, 2009
for those who dont know, creole refers to mixture.

Creoles are a mix of different peoples, to varying degrees. Many Nigerian tribes are also creoles but they dont know it.

Yoruba traditional culture doesnt recognize the term, so anyone mixed with Yoruba is regarded as full Yoruba if they want to be.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by ikeyman00(m): 10:02pm On Oct 23, 2009
^^^^^^^

see koni lipsrsealed

and have the yorubas accept that some of them are igbos(ebos)

u are a bloody hypocrite

idot u are for real and u know u it; hey like ur tactics in creditin the subject; u are quite clever,arent ya??
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by ikeyman00(m): 10:08pm On Oct 23, 2009
Yoruba traditional culture doesnt recognize the term, so anyone mixed with Yoruba is regarded as full Yoruba if they want to be

u are right!! so emm make em seirra accept . . . .

u are so full of hate; oduduwa peice of sh it haa
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Nobody: 10:21pm On Oct 23, 2009
ikeyman00:

^^^^^^^

see koni lipsrsealed

and have the yorubas accept that some of them are igbos(ebos)

u are a bloody hypocrite

idot u are for real and u know u it; hey like your tactics in creditin the subject; u are quite clever,arent ya??

and some Igbos are Yorubas.

get a life if thats possible.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by ezeagu(m): 10:44pm On Oct 23, 2009
tpia.:

for those who dont know, creole refers to mixture.

Creoles are a mix of different peoples, to varying degrees.

Not necessarily.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 10:54pm On Oct 23, 2009
tpia.:

geez this bitterness and oneupmanship has eaten deep into the Nigerian psyche.

See how Beaf wants to scatter the place over people recognizing their Yoruba ancestry. Is the fellow well at all?

There are people of English, Scottish and Irish heritage in the US who have been there for generations. Some came as indentured labor while others came as free men. Do they have a problem with their ancestry and why should someone flog the issue the way Beaf and ikeyman are doing here?

what buffoons.

smh

I even mentioned an Igbo girl who says her Igbo ancestors came from Sierra leone yet these two pretenders still got their panties in a twist over this matter. And anyone who wants to apologize to the descendants of the freed slaves should do so nah- is someone preventing him?

There are people of diverse backgrounds in sierra leone- not only Nigerian. Other countries nationals' were also taken there.

Some topics are too important for small minded personal issues.
Slavery is not an issue limited to Yoruba's. We need to deal with the past. Those of "English, Scottish and Irish heritage in the US " did not get there in boats, sold by their relatives in exchange for alcohol.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by ezeagu(m): 10:56pm On Oct 23, 2009
People arguing against the notion that the 'Oku' are Yoruba would be very surprised at the strength of the relationship they might have with their motherland, just like they'll be surprised to know there were probably 'Yoruba' unions in 1800's Sierra Leone. In fact [url=http://books.google.com/books?id=WuqvGbkiFR4C&pg=PA56&dq=yoruba+sierra+leone&ei=0CXiSr6XK5yAzgSds8H9Cw&i#v=onepage&q=yoruba%20sierra%20leone&f=false]this book[/url] implies that the Yoruba Sierra Leonean's were the first to identify as Yoruba.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Nobody: 11:00pm On Oct 23, 2009
Beaf:

Slavery is not an issue limited to Yoruba's. We need to deal with the past. Those of "English, Scottish and Irish heritage in the US " did not get there in boats, sold by their relatives in exchange for alcohol.

i dont see what your problem is. Actually I do, but let me act as if I dont.

Instead of screaming everywhere and spoiling the thread, why not head for one of the numerous I'm-AA-with-Igbo-DNA threads and go yell your head off there.

and some of the English, Scottish and Irish in the US were sold off by their relatives for whatever reason.

Not to mention which part of slave raids dont you understand? Wasnt it people like you who sold off individuals from other tribes you didnt like? So all the slaves[b] you[/b] read about were sold by their relatives?
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by ezeagu(m): 11:01pm On Oct 23, 2009
Beaf:

No, they got there for boats to sell other peoples relatives because they didn't even have enough money in Europe to buy alchol as mistreated peasants. BTW Irish people were sold as slaves by the English, hence the Irish influence in the Caribbean.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Nobody: 11:04pm On Oct 23, 2009
ezeagu:

People arguing against the notion that the 'Oku' are Yoruba would be very surprised at the strength of the relationship they might have with their motherland, just like they'll be surprised to know there were probably 'Yoruba' unions in 1800's Sierra Leone. In fact [url=http://books.google.com/books?id=WuqvGbkiFR4C&pg=PA56&dq=yoruba+sierra+leone&ei=0CXiSr6XK5yAzgSds8H9Cw&i#v=onepage&q=yoruba%20sierra%20leone&f=false]this book[/url] implies that the Yoruba Sierra Leonean's were the first to identify as Yoruba.

there was never a time when the Yorubas in SL didnt know who they were, to the best of my knowledge. This isnt a case of DNA testing.

The slave ships carrying them were raided by British abolitionists before they reached their destination in the Caribbean and Americas, and the "cargo" taken to Sierra Leone. Many of the slaves couldnt locate their original hometowns and/or for whatever reason, decided to stay in SL. Besides, many of the old hometowns had been destroyed and their families scattered or killed.

However, they still spoke their languages and remembered their names.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by becomrich15: 11:08pm On Oct 23, 2009
beaf, tribalist and racist.

let me explain that not all slave were sold. there were mostly kiddnap. very few slave were sold. It was more of kiddnap. What they call gbomo gbomo.
How many people would wait while you sale them. ? nobody.

If you call it slave trade. In any trade you exchange money or something. Who was paid this invisible money

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Nnamdi Kanu Is An Ojukwu, An Nzeogwu And An Azikiwe All Rolled Into One' - FFK / Buruji Kashamu Hugs Gbenga Daniels After Their Peace Meeting In Abuja / PDP Issues Statement On Oshiomhole's Corruption Case; Challenges Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.