Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,031 members, 7,807,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:02 AM

Nollywood And Animal Cruelty - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood And Animal Cruelty (3608 Views)

How Nollywood And Hollywood Almost Killed Me! (+PICS) / Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? / Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by LoverBwoy(m): 11:05am On Dec 29, 2006
"No animals were harmed in the production of this film" this is the kind of statements that usually appear in films where animals are involved in other parts of the world!

In nollywood for some reason most animals are killed without thinking of the impact if can have on other people  angry angry

I just watched this Nigeria film "Eemo"/Emoo". the film is average as usual until the remaining part where they do the usual- money rituals. The  Voodoo guy basically ripped the head off chicken with his  teeth!!!!

There is this other movie i watched before, as usual it involved another ritual scene, the actor killed a goat (probably only a month old) and buried it on the street.

There are several Nollywood movies that involve killing animals for whatever reason, the thing is that viewers do not necessarily have to see the actual act, they can even avoid killing the animals- just put a knife near it or take it into the voodoo place and we'll get the message.

If Nollywood is to grow they really have to do something about making people physically ill. It is absolutely unecessary,barbaric and plain wrong. If the[b] RSPCA [/b] and other animal rights group start viewing these films, they'll probably have it banned in some countries and worst case scenario - animal rights campaigners can physically attack Nigerian movie makers/actors. they do this company directors and universities already!

Orikinla please tell your people o
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by naijacutee(f): 2:19pm On Dec 29, 2006
Since when did animal cruelty become a problem in a country where some human lives are worth less than the price of a bag of salt? Go into any Lagos market and steal a packet of maggi cubes off the shelf of any store and see whether or not they won't put 3 car tyres on your head and burn you without asking for any explanations.

Please let us value humans first before attaching unecessary propaganda to animals. Our major problem is hunger, therefore we won't deal with 'animal cruelty' the same way the RSPCA would. If any dog dares to stray, be sure that there would be a Calabar man nearby to take care of the problem. Same goes for goats, chickens, monkeys and even snakes. No need worrying about what oyinbo people would think when food is staring you in the face.
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by LoverBwoy(m): 2:34pm On Dec 29, 2006
It's not really about what oyinbos think, these are meant to be films whatever happen in real life is different but in a film where real life issues are "replicated" to erm "teach" us some moral lesson* they really do not have to kill any animal,they dont have to BITE the head of a chicken just to tell us the viewers they are making a sacrifice! It's gross i really dont see the difference between that and those that beahead humans angry angry

Well theyve turn me into a vegetarian overnight!

Imagine someone biting the head of a chicken right infront of you a live chicken!
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by naijacutee(f): 2:38pm On Dec 29, 2006
Aw, I see where you are coming from but I don't think things like that worry many nigerians - the main audience. Just because they try to depict what hapens in real life as accurately as possible, no matter how unbelievable it is.
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by mamaput(f): 2:41pm On Dec 29, 2006
As long as Nigerians have not started buying froozen chickens and are killing meatin their backyard, they will not care about killing of animals in a film
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by Raymand(m): 6:59pm On Dec 29, 2006
Makes me sick when i see such shit angry 'Oww look at me, am killing a chicken. . .reality. . .reality. . .!' like WTF you know!!

. . . sometimes i ask, is all that gore really nessesary for the plot? or if it's really nessesary at all!!
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by gbadex1(m): 8:12pm On Dec 29, 2006
Truth is, Nigerian producers/directors don't give a sh*t about Nigerian viewers, and in turn and as a whole, Nigerians don't give a sh*t about animals or animal rights. In a country where the government doesn't give a sh*t about human rights, the Bleep would do you expect them to care less about animals.
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by Seun(m): 5:00pm On Jan 08, 2007
I promise to spare a thought for the animals after human rights are established.
I just don't understand how a non-vegetarian could claim to be concerned about animal rights.

In the West,
- it's alright to eat fish, chicken and turkey,
- but it's wrong to test make-up or drugs on these same animals.
- it's alright to depict violence and murder of human beings
- but it's "wrong" to depict the killing of apet.

How hypocritical!! What cruelty can be greater than the termination of a life?
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by mazaje(m): 5:41pm On Jan 08, 2007
well said seun
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by choongtin(f): 6:27pm On Jan 08, 2007
the reason they say that "no animals where bla bla bla"is becuase in othe r parts of the world some people r vegetraians and some people dont like seeing animals killed because they llike animals and as well it is against the law to kill animals in some countries but in nigeria their is no law against animal killing and no one really gives a shit if an animal is killed or not it is NIGERIA!!! come to reality the way we do our things is diffrent from the way people in other countires do init
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by bluenubian(f): 7:21pm On Jan 08, 2007
Seun:

I promise to spare a thought for the animals after human rights are established.
I just don't understand how a non-vegetarian could claim to be concerned about animal rights.

In the West,

in this case, its alright to eat these animals cause they were killed in a manner were the animals did not suffer, thats why they allow hunting in seasons jus for game cause it balances the ecosystem and hunters "shoot to kill". make up testing is cruelty, these animals spend their lifetime enduring it.
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by my2cents(m): 7:38pm On Jan 08, 2007
I knew it - that sooner or later the opinions of tree huggers and "animal rights activists (who detest killing animals, yet wear them and also have no problem in killing plants)".

Guys give us a break grin
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by waleleader(m): 12:17am On Jan 09, 2007
i am shocked, Loverbwoy is an animal lover grin grin, Bros, i hope u become vegetarian so i can have all ur meat portion to myself grin

Seriously, i agree that some of those things should not be shown on TV,
Hold on *maybe thats even why i dont watch nollywood movies*
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by miky(m): 1:19am On Jan 09, 2007
if you have eaten a chicken u know ur relative killed just outside ur house, u aint got sh8t to say, as far as government and killing chickens, make u tell them to buy ur pata first. people are making money in that country and we dey cry for job, una don work for usa abi, how will it fill going to make 10 naira an hour in nigeria with equal economic standards to america.this is so annoying, we dont have to copy everything america, chickens are more valuable in america than blacks if u dont know.
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by Babalegba(m): 2:09am On Jan 09, 2007
Hi all,
this is my first post here although i lurk here everyday.I do feel that the callous way with which Nigerians treat animals ought to be tackled because in doing so they would be able to treat human beings better.
I was at the sun's news site yesterday and read an article,link below
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/abujareports/2007/jan/08/abujaroport-08-01-2007-001.htm

I was completely horrified when i got to paragraph fifteen where the man was describing his process of killing a dog for food,to paraphrase him,he said that they garotte the dog to death and that it could take an hour for the dog to die of strangulation.
Now just what kind of humans would strangulate "anything" for an hour in order to kill it.It completely beggars belief in a civilized country.I am not really against the man for selling dogmeat but the cruelty of their strangulation is mind boggling and if Nigerians dont reject this kind of cruelty then you would always see people being set on fire for stealing Maggi cubes and what not.
It is the same callousness and cruel behaviour that embolden Nigerian office holders to embezzle public funds and therefore make life intolerable for the masses.By curbing cruelty to animals Nigerians will be able to extend goodwill to their fellow humanbeings and there will be a better live all round for everybody.If you cannot be cruel to an animal then you will find it more difficult to be cruel to a human being.
Nigeria has become a country where fiftyman robbery gangs roam about killing,raping and maiming with impunity.That is part of the reward of a society that tolerates cruelty.
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by Ndipe(m): 3:51am On Jan 09, 2007
Some of you guys are quite funny. What is the difference between killing a dog by strangulation and killing a cattle with a knife? Are they not the same? Someone might advocate for a 'humane' killing, but seriously, what is the difference between 'humane' killing and killing a dog by force? And the same people who come in here and advocate for animal rights, I suspect, are not even vegetarians.

So, what is the next agenda? That humans should not consume plants/vegetables, because they are living things? Why is PETA not calling for the total ban for the consumption of fruits and vegetables, being that, they also have life? Oh, I see, PETA is against humans eating animals, and as such eschew eating meat, in favor of consuming vegetables, when these plants are also living things.

Hypocrisy!!!
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by Babalegba(m): 6:48am On Jan 09, 2007
Ndipe:

Some of you guys are quite funny. What is the difference between killing a dog by strangulation and killing a cattle with a knife? Are they not the same? Someone might advocate for a 'humane' killing, but seriously, what is the difference between 'humane' killing and killing a dog by force? And the same people who come in here and advocate for animal rights, I suspect, are not even vegetarians.

So, what is the next agenda? That humans should not consume plants/vegetables, because they are living things? Why is PETA not calling for the total ban for the consumption of fruits and vegetables, being that, they also have life? Oh, I see, PETA is against humans eating animals, and as such eschew eating meat, in favor of consuming vegetables, when these plants are also living things.

Hypocrisy!!!

The problem is that strangling a dog for an hour is callous and an act of wanton unnecessary wickedness, i think that until Nigerians recognize that being more humane to animals will encourage them to behave better towards other humans then they will continue to have problems in the social,political and and economic sphere of life.
In the U.K it is not an offence to kill animals but it is an offence to cause an animal needless suffering in killing it and i would say that strangulating a dog for one hour is causing needless suffering to a helpless creature.
If we dont get this then we will spend forever playing catchup with the rest of the world because callousness will be evident in our dealings with each other for example i read in a paper last year that the money allocated for drugs for H.I.V. positive people was embezzled in one of the delta states last year.
I see nothing wrong with eating meat but i do object to someone causing needless suffering,it is sadistic, barbarous and it dehumanizes the person.
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by Josh4ever9: 8:20am On Jan 09, 2007
The problem is that strangling a dog for an hour is callous and an act of wanton unnecessary wickedness, i think that until Nigerians recognize that being more humane to animals will encourage them to behave better towards other humans then they will continue to have problems in the social,political and and economic sphere of life.
In the U.K it is not an offence to kill animals but it is an offence to cause an animal needless suffering in killing it and i would say that strangulating a dog for one hour is causing needless suffering to a helpless creature.
If we don't get this then we will spend forever playing catchup with the rest of the world because callousness will be evident in our dealings with each other for example i read in a paper last year that the money allocated for drugs for H.I.V. positive people was embezzled in one of the delta states last year.
I see nothing wrong with eating meat but i do object to someone causing needless suffering,it is sadistic, barbarous and it dehumanizes the person.

Why is this a Nigerian problem? and in who's views are we considering this a moral problem that will cause us to forever play catchup with the rest of the world? How is killing an animal in whatever way humane or not depending on your view different from American policemen shooting an unarmed man 40 times? or shooting 50 bullets into a car and killing an innocent man on his wedding day? or forcing naked men to lay in a human pyramid? Or US soldiers killing unarmed civilians including women and children?
So who are we looking at for an example of humane behavior? we have much bigger problems in Africa than behaving in a "humane" way to animals. Preventing an actor from biting the head off of a chicken will not prevent robbers from killing a man or the government from doing what it usually does.
I propose that we stop judging ourselves by standards that a select part of the world has set and not try to be like the rest of the world, mainly the western world because then we will always be playing catchup.
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by LoverBwoy(m): 12:21pm On Jan 09, 2007
hypocrisy has different levels  wink

I'm talking about animal cruelty in the context of films! Films are meant to depict life story as in the case of nollywood. They might aswelll start killing humans just to get as real as possible.
Putting a knife next to an animal is enough- we'll get the message, killing an animal especially in that manner is a bit absurd and unnecessarily

and please this is not a case of west vs africa, it's a bit of common sense!
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by gbadex1(m): 1:03pm On Jan 09, 2007
^ Movies (with a few excaeptions) depict real-life situations. The sh*t is, if no one cares about human rights over here, then how do u expect them to care about the rights of an animal?
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by gbadex1(m): 1:04pm On Jan 09, 2007
^ Movies (with a few excaeptions) depict real-life situations. The sh*t is, if no one cares about human rights over here, then how do u expect them to care about the rights of an animal?
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by queen2(f): 4:48pm On Jan 09, 2007
I do agree with what loverbwoy has said about killing animals in Nigerian movcies, the most disgusting part is using ur teeth to strip the animal chicken or wateva. But loverbwoy now, Nigeria is not part of other countries campaigning for animal cruelty u know. Nigeria havent got to the stage of protecting animals yet so, ifthey do it or not, its their problem what i will advice viewers of ritual movies to do is, whenevr u see a scene like that, get urremote and fastword it, it might get some people squeamish that's why im saying that.
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by queen2(f): 4:49pm On Jan 09, 2007
Seun:

In the West,
- it's alright to depict violence and murder of human beings
- but it's "wrong" to depict the killing of apet.

Really, well said
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by waleleader(m): 5:00pm On Jan 09, 2007
queen2:

I do agree with what loverbwoy has said about killing animals in Nigerian movcies, the most disgusting part is using your teeth to strip the animal chicken or whatever. But loverbwoy now, Nigeria is not part of other countries campaigning for animal cruelty u know. Nigeria havent got to the stage of protecting animals yet so, ifthey do it or not, its their problem what i will advice viewers of ritual movies to do is, whenevr u see a scene like that, get urremote and fastword it, it might get some people squeamish that's why im saying that.

Maybe its time Nigeria joins the rest of the world and stop showing cruelty to animals in movies. This issue is not about having western or african orientation. Some people cannot just stand the gruesome scenes. I for one cannot stand the entire movies, plain crap grin
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by queen2(f): 5:05pm On Jan 09, 2007
walelead:

Maybe its time Nigeria joins the rest of the world and stop showing cruelty to animals in movies. This issue is not about having western or african orientation. Some people cannot just stand the gruesome scenes. I for one cannot stand the entire movies, plain crap grin

ok, if u dont want to see them try and find out if the movie u about to buy has some form of rituals in it. i do that
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by Seun(m): 5:42pm On Jan 09, 2007
Now we're getting to the real issue:
Personally, I can't stomach such gory scenes and I won't include them in my movies. That's a promise! kiss

So it's not really about animal cruelty:
It's about cruelty to the[b] people [/b]who can't tolerate such acts in movies. Now we understand!
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by waleleader(m): 8:34pm On Jan 09, 2007
@seun, so u are serious about this your movie thing? I will try and watch it if it ever comes out. And please make sure it is something i can watch, not like all those sterotyped movies they make in Nollywood.
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by Josh4ever9: 4:02am On Jan 10, 2007
i]hypocrisy has different levels

I'm talking about animal cruelty in the context of films! Films are meant to depict life story as in the case of nollywood. They might aswelll start killing humans just to get as real as possible.
Putting a knife next to an animal is enough- we'll get the message, killing an animal especially in that manner is a bit absurd and unnecessarily

and please this is not a case of west vs africa, it's a bit of common sense[/i]

I still dont see why this is an issue and I for one do not see your point in saying just put the knife next to an animal. How is that making a movie? If they do that, then the actors might as well put their face next to each other, we'll get the message that they are talking.
Why is killing an animal in a movie absurd and unneccessary? Or do you think that the dead animal will go to waste or the food will not be eaten? And like some people said, if it bothers you, then hit the fast forward button on your remote.
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by waleleader(m): 1:01pm On Jan 10, 2007
Josh4ever9:

i]I still don't see why this is an issue and I for one do not see your point in saying just put the knife next to an animal. How is that making a movie? If they do that, then the actors might as well put their face next to each other, we'll get the message that they are talking.
Why is killing an animal in a movie absurd and unneccessary? Or do you think that the dead animal will go to waste or the food will not be eaten? And like some people said, if it bothers you, then hit the fast forward button on your remote.
Typical Nigerian simpleton, U think its only u thats watching those movies. Scenes that upset other people may not upset u, that does not mean u should not feel thier pain and respect thier views.
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by sage(m): 5:09am On Jan 11, 2007
Human life and Chicken which is cheaper in Nigeria? grin cheesy
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by gbadex1(m): 9:39am On Jan 11, 2007
Lol, human life.
Re: Nollywood And Animal Cruelty by Seun(m): 11:18am On Jan 11, 2007
It's not the animals that we are to be concerned about,
it's the people that can't tolerate the depiction of such acts in a movie.
If we eliminate animal cruelty in movies, it will be for the benefit of sensitive people, not the animals.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Supernatural Memes Done Right / Movie Sequels Better Than The Originals / Download A Fall From Grace (2020)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.