Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,853 members, 7,802,737 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

Why Did You Tell Me? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did You Tell Me? (2222 Views)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: How Dare You Tell How Long We Stay In Church / Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? / When And Why Did You Change The Church You Were Born Into? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did You Tell Me? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 15, 2016
I saw this meme and it actually got me thinking about the actions of religious people. Apart from the ones that believe in reincarnation, most religions say that if you didn't get to hear the 'truth' (their own version of the truth) in your lifetime, as long as you lived a good life, you would go to whatever form of eternal bliss that awaited you in the 'afterlife'. Then, if that is so, why are you so eager to share your religion with me? Knowing that I'll be skeptical of the outlandish claims which seem ridiculous to me on hearing it, are you not actually reducing my chances of 'salvation' to whatever god you serve?

I gave this scenario
A little boy was born into a small tribe in the heart of central africa. He obeyed his elders, worked on the farm with his dad, and fetched water from the stream for his mom. He also joined them to perform their clan's sacred ritual dance every night. One day, when he was about 10 years old, he went down with tuberculosis after staying up all night in the cold, trying find his beloved pet dog. Having no access to medicine, he dies and is sent to a realm of eternal torment for not knowing Jesus Christ.
And some Christians told me that for the fact that he didn't know Jesus, he would still 'make heaven'. Come to think of it, doesn't that mean that all people who preach to others, knowing that they'll not accept it, are just trying to reduce the population of 'paradise'?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by yorhmienerd(m): 4:28pm On Oct 15, 2016
Lol. Nice try

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by DoctorAlien(m): 4:30pm On Oct 15, 2016
"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen." Matt. 28:18-20.

We preach the good news of the gospel all over the world at the behest of our Lord. We have found joy and a great treasure. We cannot contain it. We must, as a matter of necessity, share this joy with others.

We also preach this good news because we are "looking for and hasting unto the day of the Lord..." 2 Pet. 3:12. We can actually hasten the day of our Lord by spreading the good news!

"...This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then the end shall come." Matt. 24:14

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 15, 2016
I'm tried of answerin athiests...

They never wanna learn

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 15, 2016
DoctorAlien:
"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen." Matt. 28:18-20.

We preach the good news of the gospel all over the world at the behest of our Lord. We have found joy and a great treasure. We cannot contain it. We must, as a matter of necessity, share this joy with others.

We also preach this good news because we are "looking for and hasting unto the day of the Lord..." 2 Pet. 3:12. We can actually hasten the day of our Lord by spreading the good news!

"...This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then the end shall come." Matt. 24:14
OK, you do so because you were instructed to by your book. That's alright. But, did you consider the implications of doing that as relating to the op? Indirectly 'Sending people away from heaven'.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Oct 15, 2016
Smallville10:

They never wanna learn
Could you quote wherever I made a post on nairaland, stating that I'm an atheist?
Or can you upload the video or audio recording of me declaring that I'm an atheist?
If not, please contribute to the thread or leave.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by EyeHateGod: 5:12pm On Oct 15, 2016
Smallville10:

They never wanna learn
Look at this one

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 15, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Could you quote wherever I made a post on nairaland, stating that I'm an atheist?
Or can you upload the video or audio recording of me declaring that I'm an atheist?
If not, please contribute to the thread or leave.
guy me no get much to tell u... Maybe u should read ur own topics and posts again...

Your words 'Define' you, my brother...

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by DoctorAlien(m): 5:21pm On Oct 15, 2016
AnonyNymous:

OK, you do so because you were instructed to by your book. That's alright. But, did you consider the implications of doing that as relating to the op? Indirectly 'Sending people away from heaven'.

It was the same Holy Book that told you that Heaven exists.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 15, 2016
EyeHateGod:
Look at this one
Chief-Athiest I hail o...
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 15, 2016
Smallville10:
guy me no get much to tell u... Maybe u should read ur own topics and posts again...

Your words 'Define' you, my brother...
Maybe YOU should read my own posts and topics, my brother and find out what I believe in instead of thinking everyone that disagrees with you is an atheist.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Oct 15, 2016
DoctorAlien:

It was the same Holy Book that told you that Heaven exists.
I'm saying for the sake of this discussion, let us assume heaven exists. Now, why would you go to someone who has never heard about Jesus, and tell him, knowing the implications it could have on his salvation. . . when you yourself are pretty sure he won't swallow your whole story hook, line and sinker.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 15, 2016
yorhmienerd:
Lol. Nice try
Its only immature people like you that jump from thread to thread looking for insults to trade.
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by 4kings: 7:36pm On Oct 15, 2016
Nice thought.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by yorhmienerd(m): 7:40pm On Oct 15, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Its only immature people like you that jump from thread to thread looking for insults to trade.
Check all my post, I don't trade insult. I'm only complementing your efforts in proving 'FACTS'
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:02pm On Oct 15, 2016
AnonyNymous:

I'm saying for the sake of this discussion, let us assume heaven exists. Now, why would you go to someone who has never heard about Jesus, and tell him, knowing the implications it could have on his salvation. . . when you yourself are pretty sure he won't swallow your whole story hook, line and sinker.

1. Jesus is the most loving Person ever! It would be a crime against my conscience to refrain from introducing people to this loving Friend.

2. Jesus is Salvation. Receiving Jesus is receiving Salvation.

3. You don't need to understand everything in the Bible before you make Heaven. Just accept Jesus.

4. I cannot bear to see somebody doing something wrong, and refrain from telling the person that GOD doesn't like what he's doing.

5. If I convert the person, he will become a co-labourer, and this good news will be spread to all the nations quickly, and then the end will come quickly, and we will go to Heaven.
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 15, 2016
DoctorAlien:

1. Jesus is the most loving Person ever! It would be a crime against my conscience to refrain from introducing people to this loving Friend.

2. Jesus is Salvation. Receiving Jesus is receiving Salvation.

3. You don't need to understand everything in the Bible before you make Heaven. Just accept Jesus.

4. I cannot bear to see somebody doing something wrong, and refrain from telling the person that GOD doesn't like what he's doing.

5. If I convert the person, he will become a co-labourer, and this good news will be spread to all the nations quickly, and then the end will come quickly, and we will go to Heaven.
You still don't get it. Yes, all this depends on IF you convert the person. But to someone who believes that the Sun is his god, and has had visions revealed to him by the sun in his dreams, you yourself know that it'll be hard for him to accept your story that a man who lived millions of miles away and turned water into wine is the human form of god. Also, before you told him any of that, if he was a good person, Christians tell me that if you had no access to Jesus, but lived a good life, you'd still go to heaven. But now that you told him, and h chooses not to believe because it doesn't make sense to him, all his goodness has gone to waste, he's going to hell.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Oct 15, 2016
4kings:
Nice thought.
Thanks
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:49pm On Oct 15, 2016
AnonyNymous:

You still don't get it. Yes, all this depends on IF you convert the person. But to someone who believes that the Sun is his god, and has had visions revealed to him by the sun in his dreams, you yourself know that it'll be hard for him to accept your story that a man who lived millions of miles away and turned water into wine is the human form of god. Also, before you told him any of that, if he was a good person, Christians tell me that if you had no access to Jesus, but lived a good life, you'd still go to heaven. But now that you told him, and h chooses not to believe because it doesn't make sense to him, all his goodness has gone to waste, he's going to hell.

Is worshiping the sun god good?

Except the person is prejudiced towards Christianity, I don't think it's hard to accept the fact that Christ loves you and that He, despite being GOD, sacrificed His life just to make sure you spend eternity in the most wonderful Place ever known.
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Oct 15, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Except the person is prejudiced towards Christianity, I don't think it's hard to accept the fact that Christ loves you and that He, despite being GOD, sacrificed His life just to make sure you spend eternity in the most wonderful Place ever known.
To you, worshiping the sun is bad. To him, worshiping a man who claims to be god is bad. There's so much to be skeptical about in Christianity. If there wasn't, there would be no atheists. But since you don't want to admit that, then have a nice day. My question is asking what would happen next, after you told someone who was going to heaven previously because of his good deeds, but is now going to hell because one stranger told him to believe in a man from a million miles away.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by DoctorAlien(m): 9:06pm On Oct 15, 2016
AnonyNymous:

To you, worshiping the sun is bad. To him, worshiping a man who claims to be god is bad. There's so much to be skeptical about in Christianity. If there wasn't, there would be no atheists. But since you don't want to admit that, then have a nice day. My question is asking what would happen next, after you told someone who was going to heaven previously because of his good deeds, but is now going to hell because one stranger told him to believe in a man from a million miles away.

Nobody is going to Heaven base on his/her good deeds.

He is to blame if, after I make him understand that the man one million miles away is in the Heaven he hopes to make(which is also 1 million miles away), he refuses to accept that man into his life.

Fun fact: Nobody is going to be in Heaven by accident.
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by hopefulLandlord: 10:22pm On Oct 15, 2016
DoctorAlien:

when you say things like these, you lose a bit of respect from many people, me included

it seems you are either not empathetic enough or didn't think deeply enough
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by hahn(m): 10:30pm On Oct 15, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

when you say things like these, you lose a bit of respect from many people, me included

it seems you are either not empathetic enough or didn't think deeply enough

You mean he had your respect? Seriously?

undecided
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by hopefulLandlord: 10:54pm On Oct 15, 2016
hahn:

You mean he had your respect? Seriously?
undecided
it actually takes very long for people to lose my respect for them
he still has it
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by Edenoscar(m): 11:00pm On Oct 15, 2016
DoctorAlien:

He is to blame if, after I make him understand that the man one million miles away is in the Heaven he hopes to make(which is also 1 million miles away), he refuses to accept that man into his life.

bro you have failed to answer the question
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Oct 15, 2016
DoctorAlien:

So in other words, is the example scenario I gave in the op true according to Christianity? Seems like god is biased then, after all we don't choose where we're born.
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by DoctorAlien(m): 11:04pm On Oct 15, 2016
Edenoscar:

Don't worry about the people that have not heard the gospel. You've heard it. Repent and live.
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by DoctorAlien(m): 11:07pm On Oct 15, 2016
AnonyNymous:

So in other words, is the example scenario I gave in the op true according to Christianity? Seems like god is biased then, after all we don't choose where we're born.

For you to do this argument, you have to have a proper knowledge of the character of GOD.

Consider, also, that no one will be in Heaven by accident.

Why are you worried, anyway? Why don't you repent and accept Jesus and live?
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by hopefulLandlord: 11:10pm On Oct 15, 2016
Edenoscar:

does he even sound like someone that would give an answer?

"is worshipping sun God good?"

"only someone prejudiced against Christianity would not accept that a Jew thousands of miles away who died millennia ago doesn't love him"

this ranks very high on my list of "not so good" posts and that's being generous

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 15, 2016
DoctorAlien:

For you to do this argument, you have to have a proper knowledge of the character of GOD.

Consider, also, that no one will be in Heaven by accident.

Why are you worried, anyway? Why don't you repent and accept Jesus and live?
Ok, I believe you have proper knowledge of the character of god. Explain how someone who devoted his life to serving the poor and helping the needy will burn in hell for all eternity, just because he was born in a place that had no access to the knowledge of your religion. And how that is fair. In other words, your basically telling me that all of our ancestors, everyone that existed on the continent of Africa from the year 1 AD till the first European settlers arrived are currently burning in hell.
Why am I concerned? Why I haven't just 'accepted' your god? Because apart from the fact that there is nothing I can see to show me that your god even exists at all, apart from the contradictions and inaccuracies people keep finding in your religious book, there is nothing to suggest that yahweh is as loving as you guys make him out to be. The old testament is full of blood and gore, and now you're even telling me here that no matter how good a person is, once he didn't hear about jesus, he's doomed, how does that sound like 'unconditional love' to you?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by DoctorAlien(m): 11:24pm On Oct 15, 2016
AnonyNymous,

LOL.

I cannot say who will go to Heaven, being only human. That, coupled with the fact that humans can do good deeds with hidden motives, makes it futile to guess who will go to Heaven. GOD will reveal the motives behind every works on the last day.

GOD was known in Africa long before now. Remember the children of Israel in Egypt?
Re: Why Did You Tell Me? by hopefulLandlord: 11:26pm On Oct 15, 2016
DoctorAlien:
AnonyNymous,

LOL.

I cannot say who will go to Heaven, being only human. That, coupled with the fact that humans can do good deeds with hidden motives, makes it futile to guess who will go to Heaven. GOD will reveal the motives behind every works on the last day.

GOD was known in Africa long before now. Remember the children of Israel in Egypt?

its now moved to "motive"

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos Of A Dwarf Nigierian Pastor Preaching At A Crusade In Kaduna(photos) / Is The Biblical Account Of The Flood Truthful? / 31st Night, Thank God,No Bombing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.