Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,798 members, 7,798,699 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:45 AM

Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! (14068 Views)

Rice Is The Common Food Cooked For Christmas- Why? / Mama Gold Rice Is The Number One Premium Brand In Nigeria / Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by MzBabs(f): 11:16pm On Oct 21, 2009
My hubby and I have been married for 7 months. 
Any stew he asks for, any soup he desires- I deliver!  Finger lickin good-serious! cheesy
BUT I have 1 problem.  I can't make my rice dry enough for his taste.   embarassed I'm American, and our rice is very very moist.
PLEEEEEZE, Double Pleease, Triple Please, ABEGGGGG Somebody teach me how cook some dry rice for my husband!!!
What exactly am I doing wrong?
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by Nobody: 11:35pm On Oct 21, 2009
Try paying attention to the rice and water ratio. Water should only be slightly above the rice. Hope it helps!
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by MzBabs(f): 12:46am On Oct 22, 2009
Okay, I'll try reducing the water i use in the rice.
Thank you!
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by Nobody: 12:53am On Oct 22, 2009
Its a common error.try with small water first&add more little by little till d rice get soft
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by MzBabs(f): 12:57am On Oct 22, 2009
Thank You Toba. That sounds like a great Idea.
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by MzBabs(f): 4:55am On Oct 22, 2009
Don't waste my time or yours. Life is too short for foolishness. You should apologize to ur family jo.

Stay Blessed Anyway. Take Care.
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by POSAKOSA1(m): 4:58am On Oct 22, 2009
what type of rice do you use ?

try using uncle bens/go to the African market to buy the African packaged rice or better yet, use the google search key.
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by MzBabs(f): 5:00am On Oct 22, 2009
Ok, I'll try ur suggestion. Hopefully it works!
Thank you.
Respectfully,
Mz. Babs
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by POSAKOSA1(m): 5:04am On Oct 22, 2009
yea, you have to use a particular rice grain and as people have already stated don't use too much water. Plus, you should per-boil the rice,
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by OgidiBoy(m): 5:06am On Oct 22, 2009
MzBabs:

My hubby and I have been married for 7 months.  
Any stew he asks for, any soup he desires- I deliver!  Finger lickin good-serious! cheesy
BUT I have 1 problem.  I can't make my rice dry enough for his taste.   embarassed I'm American, and our rice is very very moist.
PLEEEEEZE, Double Pleease, Triple Please, ABEGGGGG Somebody teach me how cook some dry rice for my husband!!!
What exactly am I doing wrong?

I don't know what you think Nigerians are ? we don't eat dry rice, only birds and rats eat dry rice. If you want your rice to be sticky and fluffy like the steamed Asian rice, when you out shopping buy the right kind of rice, preferably for me Uncle Ben's rice. If you still not sure go to Walmart or Target and pick up a freaking rice cooker and follow the instructions that come with it.
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by MzBabs(f): 5:13am On Oct 22, 2009
Oh boy,
Another bitter guy?
Let's see, Here, in the US, it's just about midnight. That mean in 9ja it's 5am. Have u nothing better to do than to insist that i dont know the difference between the love of my life, whom I have made a vow to love 4 ever and a rat? lol. I try to love and respect all people, as God has commanded. So out of respect for you- I will not go any farther, allowing you to be made a fool of because you are awake at 5am with nothing else to do.

God Bless you. May your hands be productive today. wink
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by OgidiBoy(m): 5:21am On Oct 22, 2009
I'm in Irving Texas dear and it's right there on my profile, I'm sure you don't even know where that is. So who's the fool now grin grin. Yep I know you just one of those dreamers that do come on here claim to be in the States or American when the know there stupid ass in in Nigeria grin grin.

And it don't matter now,  but I never called your hubby a rat, can you even read ?

MzBabs:

Oh boy,
Another bitter guy?
Let's see, Here, in the US, it's just about midnight. That mean in 9ja it's 5am. Have u nothing better to do than to insist that i dont know the difference between the love of my life, whom I have made a vow to love 4 ever and a rat? lol. I try to love and respect all people, as God has commanded. So out of respect for you- I will not go any farther, allowing you to be made a fool of because you are awake at 5am with nothing else to do.

God Bless you. May your hands be productive today. wink

It's not midnight in the US, grin grin it maybe midnight East coast time, or 11:00 Central time, 10.OO mountain time, and 9.00 West coast time so it's not midnight in America grin grin grin
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by MzBabs(f): 5:24am On Oct 22, 2009
Nope,
What u said Still doesn't justify a remark.
Just be blessed- and let me know if you have more rice ideas. kiss
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by OgidiBoy(m): 5:29am On Oct 22, 2009
MzBabs:

Nope,
What u said Still doesn't justify a remark.
Just be blessed- and let me know if you have more rice ideas. kiss

My friend take your lame ass to bed, I'm surprised NEPA never take una light, abeg which part of Lagos you dey sef grin grin
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by SeanT21(f): 5:37am On Oct 22, 2009
OgidiBoy:

I don't know what you think Nigerians are ? we don't eat dry rice, only birds and rats eat dry rice. If you want your rice to be sticky and fluffy like the steamed Asian rice, when you out shopping buy the right kind of rice, preferably for me Uncle Ben's rice. If you still not sure go to Walmart or Target and pick up a freaking rice cooker and follow the instructions that come with it.

undecided undecided undecided

@Topic

REDUCE THE WATER. Liberians call it "putaputa" rice. Most Africans in general hate soft or wet rice. Reduce the water and make sure the rice is not swimming in it. You have to master the art of cooking rice that is soften correctly.Rice can make or break the food.

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chinesecookingbasics/ss/cook_rice_photo.htm
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by mohawkchic(f): 10:30pm On Oct 24, 2009
SeanT21:

Liberians call it "putaputa" rice.

[size=13pt]~ grin Oh Really? I'm guessing its the same word but pronounced/spelt differently. . we call wet rice "Poor-tour Poor-tour" pronouced as i spelt it. . .[/size]
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by mohawkchic(f): 10:42pm On Oct 24, 2009
[size=13pt]~Since reduction of water has already been raised as one of the factors you end up w/ wet rice,i reckon it's also a worthy mention to pass on this tip i was given

[b]~Avoid Mixing The Rice While It Cooks:[/b]Mixing the rice while it cooks usually makes the rice wet. . altho i think this usually depends on the type of rice! Jasmine Rice is one to watch w/ this tip!

~I never cud cook rice in a basic Pot,always comes out wet/burnt! I dunno where i'd be w/o Rice Cooker! I measure the water to the rice,never mix & somehow the dependable Rice cooker gives me perfectly cooked rice Always!

~Women who cook rice in huge Pots for occassion/regular basic have my admiration! cheesy
[/size]
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by platinumnk(f): 10:48pm On Oct 24, 2009
my mom as this huge 30 gallon rice cooker she keeps for occasions grin grin
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by SeanT21(f): 1:22am On Oct 25, 2009
mohawkchic:

[size=13pt]~ grin Oh Really? I'm guessing its the same word but pronounced/spelt differently. . we call wet rice "Poor-tour Poor-tour" pronouced as i spelt it. . .[/size]

haha~~That's the actual spelling U wrote. I forgot how to spell it. When a rice is "Poor-tour Poor-tour" then its too soft.
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 25, 2009
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by MzBabs(f): 11:15pm On Oct 25, 2009
Thanks everyone! I made some yesterday and it was muuuuch better. He even noticed. He asked me "How'd u make this kind of rice?" That in and of itself was a compliment. I 'm beyond grateful to all of you. Thank you- a million.

-Mz. Babs
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by agathamari(f): 7:56pm On Oct 30, 2009
yeah i had that issue too. when it gets to where we would normaly take it off the stove, cook it another 5 min or so. drives my husband nuts when after i put my rice in a bowl i add water to it lol
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by MzBabs(f): 5:35am On Oct 31, 2009
lol. Mine too! Butt hat's the way our rice is done customarily! However I have successfully improved the rice that I cook. My husband loves it. Thanks to everyone who helped me, but a special thanks to those of you who chose to use KIND words. May God bless you greatly.
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by kolly4luv(m): 10:35am On Oct 31, 2009
Hay babs,dont waste ur time, the advise i have for u is RICE PER-BOILING dats all.[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b][/b][i][/i]
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 03, 2009
The key is a little water at a time.

Like someone said, no stirring till it's done

Good luck
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by mamagee3(f): 6:29pm On Dec 12, 2009
You put too much water on the rice. tongue
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by slimes(m): 1:17pm On Dec 17, 2009
mama-gee:

You put too much water on the rice. tongue

Mixing the rice while cooking is also a no no.
Re: Help Me Ladies! My Rice Is Too Wet! by chi21: 10:03pm On Aug 20, 2010
get a rice cooker to cook the rice on

(1) (Reply)

Wara (soft Cheese) / How To Eat Meat In Public? / Good Nigerian Restaurant In New York, New Jersey Or Philadelphia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.