Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,556 members, 7,809,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:18 PM

Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar (20539 Views)

Binta Garba: My Primary Constituency Is To Be In The Kitchen & Other Room / Aisha Buhari's Interview With BBC Hausa (Full Text) / Asiwaju Tinubu : The Limits Of Political Influence By Joseph Edgar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by BarryX(m): 1:38pm On Oct 17, 2016
That's too much painting and garnishing for one woman. I cannot sense any intellectual ish.

She is married to a dullard still
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by Firefire(m): 1:38pm On Oct 17, 2016
Ok
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by yinkslinks(m): 1:42pm On Oct 17, 2016
Yes
Smoke2015:
I am an ardent supporter of the President although not of his Government and most of his policies so far but on this issue I beg to distance myself from him.

His response to the very seminal queries raised by his wife especially standing beside a strong female personality as the German Chancellor leaves much to be desired. I think he should have just kept quiet and allowed the matter to slide than to give such a response which in my mind has further boosted his wife's currency as a true Nigerian Amazon in the mould of Kudirat Abiola.

The issues she raised in her BBC interview have taken us down to the very core of the Nigerian experience. She touched on Nepotism, favoritism, incompetence and the seeming hijack of Government apparatus by those who do not share the vision that overwhelmingly threw the Government into power. This in my minds eye are grave issues only a very courageous warrior would dare to bring up talk less of a woman brought up in a society steeped in conservative ethos.

For one I admire the President who despite his religious outlook and conservative mien would allow a person in the mould of Aisha exist. This interview did not just happen on us, it is a continuation of a person who has been given the freedom to build a personality and have an opinion by her husband for this I say thank you. For she could have been muzzled into silence and with religion limit her potentials. But that said, her interview shows a major breakdown in communication between she and her husband and a cry for help to save her husband from enemies within.

Her statement that she would not support any reelection bid is telling. It comes from the mind of a very morally upright personality. Before I read the interview the headline to me suggested that like most political wives she was taking that position for very selfish reasons which usually involves the husband not spending more time with the family or for health reasons. It was the Presidents response that made me go back to it. This was an almost accurate reading of the political situation especially with the ongoing travails of Asiwaju Tinubu.

This interview lays credence to all the conspiracy theory that has been going on on social media. Daily we are forcefully fed with all sort of stories of the Kaduna Mafia and how they have come back very strongly.to seize the apparent controls of government. When she says that her husband is surrounded by those who did not fight for the electoral victory and who do not share the vision of change, one can only just try to tie this to the theories of hijack of power by the Presidents 'uncle' and other shadowy figures.

So the President's remarks only served to trivialise these very serious national issues that the beautiful Hajia brought up and shove them aside without really addressing the issues. This is not the correct position and with the kind of high respect I have of the person of the President and his position I will refrain from getting too heavy on him. But what I cannot leave out is the derogatory feel of his response even though it was meant to be a light banter I want to believe and this leads me to the question that where are the feminists. So her role in the bedroom and the other room is as sexist as can be and very well vested in Trumplike vestiges.

By that statement basically, Aisha despite her education, clarity on issues and strong support of the electoral movement and government should just 'shut up' and concentrate on other 'crucial things' that women are supposed to do. Things like cooking and keeping the house clean while leaving politics for the men. This is laughable my Oga, then you really do not know the woman you have married all of these years.

This is fire, this is strength that those words will not mute. I have watched her since she came into national limelight and her tussle with Fayose of Ekiti more than showed that this was an Amazon with the intellectual depth that would not be limited by religious shallow boundaries or an authoritarian matrimonial attempt at gagging. This is not just a political wife who would be satisfied with all those petty things First Ladies usually busy themselves with. This was an adept strategist with the Beaty and boldness to embark on any journey her well curated mind will lead her to. This to me is just the beginning of a journey that would outlive her husbands foray into politics.

I see an Aisha incursion on a very high moral platform with this kind of positions. Her fearlessness and courage plus the depth of her thinking would definitely not end after her husbands foray into power. She would most likely jump into the pool on a different progressive platform if she continues to be frustrated by the parochialism that surrounds her. I suspect this one will not be caged in the living room or any other room.

We await the movement of Aisha Buhari, meanwhile when will we get answers to her queries. Who are these people that the President does not know and how did they get to these positions. Can we find answers in the other room?

http://josephedgarng..com.ng/2016/10/aisha-buhari-kitchen-and-other-room.html?m=1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by Mactons(m): 1:44pm On Oct 17, 2016
I hope her interview with BBC will not cost her, her marriage
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by OlaSpeaker(m): 1:46pm On Oct 17, 2016
why are Nigerians making issues out of these is Aisha a politician?, must she know all the appointee of the president? Aisha statement shows a frustrated wife who want to be in the know but was shut out by a man who neither share or joke with state matter unlike her predecessor who force herself into the corridor of power and became more influential than her husband however President Buhari as made it clear "i am well inform" off course he should be well inform than her saying it is only those who help the president into that should be his appointees only is a misconception because Nigeria is for all, had the president done this Nigerians will still label him all sort of names and unwanted titles for heaven sake what did Aisha want? just as the president said her primary role is in the kitchen living room and the other room even if she is working.
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by highwaist: 1:47pm On Oct 17, 2016
'She belongs to my kitchen and other room' wasn't a derogatory statement. Scripturally and culturally, women are the custodians of men's properties.

The hypocrisy of the western world shouldn't restructure our encephalon from embracing and accepting truth.

1 Like

Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by czaratwork: 1:51pm On Oct 17, 2016
She is trying to use the public against her husband. She should have known Buhari's pedigree. Buhari said it time without numbers that he does not want office of the first lady. She feels irrelevant unlike Patience who was teleguiding her husband.

She pretends to be talking for the masses that voted Buhari but she is talkimg for herself. She has noticed that what she discusses with Bubu does not see the light of he day and this frustrates her.

Now Nigerians are fighting for her. okay o lets see who will change Buhari at this his age.

He has repeated what he earlier said for those who said it was a joke.

BuBu all the way.

Lastly, what do nigerians really want?

1 Like

Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by flysly(m): 2:00pm On Oct 17, 2016
Pls enough of the kitchen and the other room already undecided
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by madjnr: 2:02pm On Oct 17, 2016
megareal:
Truly, it was this interview that really gave me an indepth look into Aisha Buhari. I always thought of her as just another muzzled, subservient Muslim wife.

But the contrast to what I had believed is that she is smart and understands what goes on about her. I think she may have raised those issues with her husband, probably offered suggestions on how to tackle them and may have been rebuffed or chided.

That interview was her way of letting those hijackers know she is aware of them and their agenda, it was also a call to her husband to sit up and do something.
abeg commot....bihari didn't take her for any campaign...was her name on d ballot box? if you're married do you tell your husband how to about his biz at his place of work ?
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by themmydhayhor(m): 2:04pm On Oct 17, 2016
Pope22:
Room room room room room room all the time, please is it flat or a duplexxx

it's a free world bro... u can ask buhari himself
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by tiwiex(m): 2:07pm On Oct 17, 2016
jimi4us:
Buhari is old and dry, I doubt he can satisfy Aisha.

She already cleared that up in a tweet fight with Fayose. I can't remember her exact words.

1 Like

Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by abbey621(m): 2:09pm On Oct 17, 2016
I can only blame Babaginda for this! There should have never been anything like the office of the first lady. This office has allowed a lot of things to get out of hand including the misuse and outright corruption of the nation's budget. This was overwhelmingly evident with the previous administration! While it is easy to criticize Buhari for making such a statement on the world's stage, we must also understand where he is coming from. Most of us would feel insulted if our wives started telling people outside about what goes on internally, this is where the president's statement can be forgiven. What the president meant is that Aisha's main responsibility is to the home and any other thing is secondary!

1 Like

Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by tiwiex(m): 2:10pm On Oct 17, 2016
madjnr:
abeg commot....bihari didn't take her for any campaign...was her name on d ballot box? if you're married do you tell your husband how to about his biz at his place of work ?

Then you didn't watch the campaigns. I vividly recollect her in Edo state making a rally speech. Go research before you make comments.
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by FakeAccount(m): 2:13pm On Oct 17, 2016
I praised Aisha Buhari in her campaign to save Nigeria from the hands of a few selfish individuals because Mr. President is currently surrounded by sycophants, political gold-diggers, and political jobbers. As noted, some individuals in his cabinet and decision-making positions are under-qualified, incompetent, and lack substance. These individuals do not add any value to the social and economic development of the nation. In addition, most of Mr.President’s cabinet members got their position based on nepotism, tribal or religious sentiments and not by merit. This is why things are getting worse socially and economically by the day.
GEJ's administration was more honorable than this current deranged administration.World class professionals were involved and a PHD holder marshaled out the plans that made Nigeria's economy the best, biggest and largest in the whole of Africa and 5th biggest growing economy in the world.

2 Likes

Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by Mcowubaba: 2:13pm On Oct 17, 2016
Omotayor123:
Hypocrisy is when Buhari was taking Aisha Everywhere during Elections campaign And pledging to have at least 40% of Women in his Government.

Now he thinks she belong to the Kitchen and the other room and to better stay out of politics undecided lipsrsealed

The whole Saga is getting boring anyway, smiley keeping my Fingers crossed till 2019!
Keep your legs crossed too wink
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by Nobody: 2:25pm On Oct 17, 2016
Boringly Boring tongue tongue tongue

Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by Vek2015: 3:15pm On Oct 17, 2016
grin

1 Like

Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by cutiepie25(f): 3:23pm On Oct 17, 2016
[quote author=kings09 post=50275854]Oya run n go stay in d Other Room. Ur opinion doesn't count .

Thanks, ur noticed.
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by KardinalZik(m): 3:23pm On Oct 17, 2016
An why are some people angry and feeling bored for quoting the President?
If you want us to stop quoiting the President frequently out of context, tell him to treat his diarrhoea of the buccal cavity.
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by seguntijan(m): 3:28pm On Oct 17, 2016
Sometimes when I look at the way the media has ruined so many celebrities' marriage, it gives me a lot of concern on how self-destructive we've grown to become.
Without saying or citing examples, we know of how some trivial issues which are supposed to be strictly personal to some celebrities have been announced on top of the roof by the Social Media and bloated beyond proportion by critics, leading to so many breakups. Many public figures have had their marriages shattered beyond repair because of those who never mind their business.
Now, the lens has been zoomed on the President and his wife - two top socio-political celebrities.
A simple African statement that the President made with no intention to humiliate has been taken up by the media, and it is now regarded as sexism.
There's a saying that "I am responsible for what I say, but you are responsible for what you believe". Any man can literally say his wife belongs to the kitchen. It is African, but we are often times too civilized that we forget our descent.
Culturally, a woman has a vital role to play in the kitchen But she isn't confined to the kitchen. A woman isn't restricted to the kitchen.
More so, with all the academic qualifications Aisha Buhari has, with the women's projects she has engaged herself with hiterto, with all the international conferences she attends on behalf of the Nigerian women, with five kids who are already graduates, who no longer need someone to cater to their domestic needs, who should believe that Mrs Buhari belongs to the kitchen as her husband claimed. How often does the President himself stay at home to watch his wife pace about the kitchen cooking. What's the job of the many PhD chefs they have in the Aso Villa?
While Mrs Buhari has taken the remark lightly, the Media has glamourized it - trying every means possible to make sure a mountain comes out of a hill. I've read a number comments and criticism from social media gurus, public figures amongst others. Some are saying it's sexism, some saying it's a slap on the womanhood, others are saying it's a gaff that should be reversed.
The home has now been subjected to public scrutiny.
So among all the issues heating up on the nation at this time kitchen or no kitchen is what we should be deliberating on.
So the First Man should not have peace at home again with his First Bae because of your irrational inferences.
Just so you know, if Baba is not getting a rest of mind in his house so many bad decisions that may affect the country would be made.
Stop inciting two lovey-dovey against themselves.
Let the matter rest.
At age 56 we should know better.
# GovernmentOfTheDay
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by chrisj2(m): 3:32pm On Oct 17, 2016
Good article but this is almost unheard of in many political circles even the more progressive Western democracies: a first lady should not get herself that much involved in Real politics... It is dangerous and very distracting!

So what if she has political ambitions a la Hilary Clinton, it still does not excuse her almost un-endorsing (publicly) her husband on the issues of a second term - that should have been a private thing: she went too far with that part of her comments.

What she has expressed is not new but is she expressing them as a concerned citizen or as someone who is now thinking above her station as a quasi-political actor. Some people have said that she is frustrated that some of her own choices were not favoured or that she felt ignored... If this is true, she is in danger of losing her shield and respect as the First Lady and the privileges and good that she could do with that post without being involved in dirty party/governmental politics...

I am not a big fan of Buhari because he had not done or delivered much before people start hailing him - typical! However, I do agree that he is a big modern powerful Muslim man - one that has allowed his spouse to have some independence and a voice where he did not need to have accommodated such things. She was gaining independence and even prominence well before Buhari came back into government...

Lastly, I do accept that Buhari was joking but it was a tasteless joke especially in front of Merkel and in front of the World's Press. What convinced me that it was a joke was the 'other room' part of the comment; that was a bit blue and dirty...

1 Like

Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by tosyne2much(m): 3:34pm On Oct 17, 2016
See people killing themselves over people's family affairs. Whether you like it or not, this couple will sleep on the same bed at night and will be laughing at your joblessness and gullibility cheesy
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by nasoweseeam: 3:49pm On Oct 17, 2016

1 Like

Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by lanreni: 3:51pm On Oct 17, 2016
megareal:
Truly, it was this interview that really gave me an indepth look into Aisha Buhari. I always thought of her as just another muzzled, subservient Muslim wife.

But the contrast to what I had believed is that she is smart and understands what goes on about her. I think she may have raised those issues with her husband, probably offered suggestions on how to tackle them and may have been rebuffed or chided.

That interview was her way of letting those hijackers know she is aware of them and their agenda, it was also a call to her husband to sit up and do something.
Public criticism between couples no matter how right the issues are or the private frustrations, is and will never be the way to address them.
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by kings09(m): 4:05pm On Oct 17, 2016
Na buhari talk am oo not me cheesy[quote author=cutiepie25 post=50278710][/quote]
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by unuane1(m): 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2016
If Aisha no cook for me I go enter kitchen myself.

1 Share

Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by lookingfly: 4:43pm On Oct 17, 2016
Bolustic:
The President has shown that he is not yet a politician, he needs some sort of oratorical training, his personality of being point blank is one of his Achilles heels. He needs mentoring from the likes of Lai Muhammed in order to save himself.

BTW, Aisha over blew this issue, can't imagine Mitchelle Obama publicly criticizing her husband.

And for those of you that will quote me wrong, just think of what you'd do if you were a pastor/imam and your wife condemns your action in the presence of the congregation.
don't be a hypocrite man. If someone is wrong, that lesson is wrong and he/she should be told the truth, simple. Aisha did that so forget this pastor and imam support from their wife's
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by Missmossy(f): 6:02pm On Oct 17, 2016
Things like these should be settled amicably between them. Aisha Buhari ought not to say such things at all she took it too far airing her thoughts to BBC news.

Who knows if they have settled it in the other room grin
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by megareal: 6:16pm On Oct 17, 2016
lanreni:

Public criticism between couples no matter how right the issues are or the private frustrations, is and will never be the way to address them.
Your opinion, hold unto it.
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by megareal: 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2016
madjnr:
Are you sure you watched the campaigns? Tell me how Buhari could have gotten the women's vote if his wife didn't go along during campaigns. Or your angst is simply that a woman dared to criticize your almighty President?
Btw, I am married and I do advise my husband on workplace issues and he listens because he is enlightened and values women. Now get out of here and stop quoting me.
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by Excuzeme: 6:35pm On Oct 17, 2016
Smoke2015:
I am an ardent supporter of the President although not of his Government and most of his policies so far but on this issue I beg to distance myself from him.[s]

His response to the very seminal queries raised by his wife especially standing beside a strong female personality as the German Chancellor leaves much to be desired. I think he should have just kept quiet and allowed the matter to slide than to give such a response which in my mind has further boosted his wife's currency as a true Nigerian Amazon in the mould of Kudirat Abiola.

The issues she raised in her BBC interview have taken us down to the very core of the Nigerian experience. She touched on Nepotism, favoritism, incompetence and the seeming hijack of Government apparatus by those who do not share the vision that overwhelmingly threw the Government into power. This in my minds eye are grave issues only a very courageous warrior would dare to bring up talk less of a woman brought up in a society steeped in conservative ethos.

For one I admire the President who despite his religious outlook and conservative mien would allow a person in the mould of Aisha exist. This interview did not just happen on us, it is a continuation of a person who has been given the freedom to build a personality and have an opinion by her husband for this I say thank you. For she could have been muzzled into silence and with religion limit her potentials. But that said, her interview shows a major breakdown in communication between she and her husband and a cry for help to save her husband from enemies within.

Her statement that she would not support any reelection bid is telling. It comes from the mind of a very morally upright personality. Before I read the interview the headline to me suggested that like most political wives she was taking that position for very selfish reasons which usually involves the husband not spending more time with the family or for health reasons. It was the Presidents response that made me go back to it. This was an almost accurate reading of the political situation especially with the ongoing travails of Asiwaju Tinubu.

This interview lays credence to all the conspiracy theory that has been going on on social media. Daily we are forcefully fed with all sort of stories of the Kaduna Mafia and how they have come back very strongly.to seize the apparent controls of government. When she says that her husband is surrounded by those who did not fight for the electoral victory and who do not share the vision of change, one can only just try to tie this to the theories of hijack of power by the Presidents 'uncle' and other shadowy figures.

So the President's remarks only served to trivialise these very serious national issues that the beautiful Hajia brought up and shove them aside without really addressing the issues. This is not the correct position and with the kind of high respect I have of the person of the President and his position I will refrain from getting too heavy on him. But what I cannot leave out is the derogatory feel of his response even though it was meant to be a light banter I want to believe and this leads me to the question that where are the feminists. So her role in the bedroom and the other room is as sexist as can be and very well vested in Trumplike vestiges.

By that statement basically, Aisha despite her education, clarity on issues and strong support of the electoral movement and government should just 'shut up' and concentrate on other 'crucial things' that women are supposed to do. Things like cooking and keeping the house clean while leaving politics for the men. This is laughable my Oga, then you really do not know the woman you have married all of these years.

This is fire, this is strength that those words will not mute. I have watched her since she came into national limelight and her tussle with Fayose of Ekiti more than showed that this was an Amazon with the intellectual depth that would not be limited by religious shallow boundaries or an authoritarian matrimonial attempt at gagging. This is not just a political wife who would be satisfied with all those petty things First Ladies usually busy themselves with. This was an adept strategist with the Beaty and boldness to embark on any journey her well curated mind will lead her to. This to me is just the beginning of a journey that would outlive her husbands foray into politics.

I see an Aisha incursion on a very high moral platform with this kind of positions. Her fearlessness and courage plus the depth of her thinking would definitely not end after her husbands foray into power. She would most likely jump into the pool on a different progressive platform if she continues to be frustrated by the parochialism that surrounds her. I suspect this one will not be caged in the living room or any other room.

We await the movement of Aisha Buhari, meanwhile when will we get answers to her queries. Who are these people that the President does not know and how did they get to these positions. Can we find answers in the other room?[/s]

http://josephedgarng..com.ng/2016/10/aisha-buhari-kitchen-and-other-room.html?m=1

Whenever someone starts his epistle with such hypocrisy, you know they are about to yarn rubbish!
Buhari's remarks was directed at HIS WIFE, not your wife, not my Wife.
When has it become your duty (or anyone's duty), to tell a man how or where to place HIS wife, in HIS HOUSE?
Re: Aisha Buhari, The Kitchen And The Other Room By Joseph Edgar by Excuzeme: 6:39pm On Oct 17, 2016
megareal:

Are you sure you watched the campaigns? Tell me how Buhari could have gotten the women's vote if his wife didn't go along during campaigns. Or your angst is simply that a woman dared to criticize your almighty President?
Btw, I am married and I do advise my husband on workplace issues and he listens because he is enlightened and values women . Now get out of here and stop quoting me.

And how come we have never read of one of your CRITICISMS of your husband, here on Nairaland?

Okay, you do it inside your house but you support Aisha doing her own on BBC?

SMH.sssh

All these fake girls sef, married indeed. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Blackout: Nigeria’s National Grid Collapses / PHOTO: Nigerians In Diaspora Joins #objwhereisthepower Trend / Defection: Ben Ayade To Know Fate On Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.