Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,983 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Bible Quiz Game - Forum Games (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Forum Games / Bible Quiz Game (26107 Views)

Brain Quiz!!! / Bible Quiz / Dis Quiz Made 2 Guyz Throw Serious Blows On Themselves.lmao (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bible Quiz Game by Consultant(f): 3:46pm On Jan 03, 2007
Question:
(1) How many generations "actually" existed from "David up to carrying away into Babylon";
(2) Which peoples were missing from Matthew's account of the geneaology of Christ??
(3) What "actually" is the purpose of this geneaology of Jesus as given by Matthew?
Enjoy!!!

(1) I think there were actually 17 generations
(2) Between Joram and Uzziah in Matt 1:8, 3 kings were ommited - Ahaziah, Joash and Amaziah.
(3) I can't say i know the answer to that one.
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Genial(m): 4:17pm On Jan 03, 2007
Consultant:

(1) I think there were actually 17 generations
(2) Between Joram and Uzziah in Matt 1:8, 3 kings were ommited - Ahaziah, Joash and Amaziah.
(3) I can't say i know the answer to that one.

I agree.

Havila:

(3) What "actually" is the purpose of this geneaology of Jesus as given by Matthew?
Enjoy!!!

Your question presupposes that there is a single correct answer for your question. This is perhaps not the case. I can only tell you what I have observed from the genealogy. The purpose of this genealogy is determined by two things: 1. God's overall purpose for humanity. 2. God's specific purpose for the individual to whom that passage is revealed.

From the genealogy, I have observed the following:

1. There are a total 41 generations in the genealogy, and not 42. This may be interpreted to mean that the there is a missing generation - "who will declare his generation"(Isa 53:cool? We, adopted sons of God by faith in Jesus Christ, are that 42nd generation - "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name" (Jn 1:12), "For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren" (Rom 8:29).

2. When compared with the genealogy in the book of Luke, one thing is immediately obvious. This is the first of a two part series (if you will) showing "Jesus, the Son of Man" and "Jesus, the Son of God". His genealogy in Matthew is traced up to Abraham, and the introduction runs thus: "The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham". His genealogy in Luke is traced to God, and ends thus: ". . . the son of God."
Re: Bible Quiz Game by TayoD(m): 6:28pm On Jan 03, 2007
You cannot pull me in with a fishhook or tie down my tongue with a rope. You cannot put a cord through my nose or pierce my jaw with a hook. I will never  be in a position to beg you for mercy neither will I speak to you with gentle words.  l will never make an agreement with you to take me as your slave for life, and you can never make a pet of me like a bird or put me on a leash for your girls. Your Traders will have no opportunity to barter for me neither will they divide me among the merchants. My hide can neither be filled with harpoons nor my head with fishing spears. If you lay a hand on me, you will remember the struggle and never do it again! Any hope of subduing me is false; the mere sight of me is overpowering. No one is fierce enough to rouse me.

So who am I?
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Genial(m): 6:31pm On Jan 03, 2007
Leviathan (Job 41)
Re: Bible Quiz Game by TayoD(m): 6:42pm On Jan 03, 2007
Six things does the Lord hate; seven are an abomination unto Him.

What are they?
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Aggressa(m): 6:58pm On Jan 03, 2007
Havila:

In the Geneaology of Jesus according to Matthew, it's stated that: from Abraham to David was 14 generations; from David up to the carrying away into Babylon was another 14 generations; and from carrying into Babylon up to Christ was another 14. Questions:
(1) How many generations "actually" existed from "David up to carrying away into Babylon";
(2) Which peoples were missing from Matthew's account of the geneaology of Christ??
Enjoy!!!

@Consultant and Genial,
Well, sorry you got questions 1 and 2 wrong (Genial got it wrong by consent! grin)

Actually, in the geneology of Jesus accroding to Matthew, there were 18 generations between King David up to carrying away into Babylon. Yes, in Matthew 1 vs 8 between Jehoram and Uzziah (also known as Azariah), three (3) kings were omitted - Ahaziah, Joash and Amaziah; but in addition in Matt 1 vs 11 between Josiah and Jechonia (also known as Jehoiachin), one more king was omitted- Jehoiakim.
Ref: 2nd Kings chapters 9 -24

Furthermore, with regard to the 3rd question, I agree there is not just one answer; probably it was how I framed the particular question. I also agree with Genial's submission, especially the second part. In fact, a whole textbook could be written about the purpose(s) of the geneology of Jesus according to St. Matthew, which is the "focus" of my question. For example, in addition to Genial's submission: this particular geneology could be taken as revealing that the singular theme of the whole Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, is Jesus Christ; because it provides a "bridge" linking the Old Testament of Jesus to the New Testament of Jesus. In addition, this particular geneology also revealed that the "Messianic promises" of God to King David's lineage, as written in Jeremiah 33 vs 14-16, is fulfilled in Jesus Christ; and Jesus is also the fulfillment of the covenant promises of God to Abraham, as written in Genesis 12 vs 3, 13:15, 22:18.
It also supports the prophesy in Revelations of the coming back of Jesus Christ to rule the world from Jerusalem, from the throne of David, etc, etc. Thanks
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Aggressa(m): 7:10pm On Jan 03, 2007
TayoD:

Six things does the Lord hate; seven are an abomination unto Him.

What are they?

Proverbs 6 vs 16-19
These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

(1) A proud look, (2) A lying tongue, (3) Hands that shed innocent blood, (4) A heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, (5) Feet that be swift in running to mischief, (6) A false witness that speaketh lies, (7) He that soweth discord among brethren.
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Genial(m): 7:32pm On Jan 03, 2007
Havila:

@Consultant and Genial,
Well, sorry you got questions 1 and 2 wrong (Genial got it wrong by consent! grin)

tongue grin
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Consultant(f): 7:42pm On Jan 05, 2007
@ Havila,

Thanks for the enlightenment. I love this thread.
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Genial(m): 8:14pm On Jan 05, 2007
How much time elapsed between the birth of Jesus and the visit of the Magi?
Re: Bible Quiz Game by TayoD(m): 8:57pm On Jan 05, 2007
How much time elapsed between the birth of Jesus and the visit of the Magi?

This is a tricky question. The answer is no longer than 2 years.  This is why Herod asked to kill all male babies 2 years and under!!!

My question: How many Magis from the east came to visit Jesus?
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Aggressa(m): 9:09pm On Jan 05, 2007
TayoD:

Well, this is also a tricky question: the bible says "wise men" or magoi came from the East to worship the child Jesus without mentioning a particular number, but tradition says 3; however that number is not supported by any scriptural, historical or archeological evidences. They gave three (3) types of gift, maybe that is why "tradition' assumes 3 wise men. They could have been 30 or 300 wise men, and gave 10 tons of each of Gold, Frankescence and Myrrh. grin
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Genial(m): 9:13pm On Jan 05, 2007
TayoD:

This is a trickish question. The answer is no longer than 2 years.  This is why Herod asked to kill all male babies 2 years and under!!!

Hmmm. . . my guess is that it was an entire convoy. These were no mean men, and they demanded and were granted audience by Herod. I wouldn't expect men of such calibre to travel for nearly 2years in a tiny group of, say, three.

My question: How did John the baptist know that Jesus was the Christ, the Messiah?
Re: Bible Quiz Game by TayoD(m): 9:13pm On Jan 05, 2007
@Havila,

Good answer.  Someone almost broke my head years ago when I tried to point out this fact to her.
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Aggressa(m): 12:10am On Jan 06, 2007
Genial:

My question: How did John the baptist know that Jesus was the Christ, the Messiah?

@Genial,
Jesus Christ simply quoted Isaiah 35:5 and 61:1 where it is written that the coming messiah will give the blind their sight and preach the gospel to the poor. By telling John that He is doing those things, Jesus Christ alluded to his Messiahship, thus John TB knew Jesus is the Messiah.
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Genial(m): 12:40am On Jan 06, 2007
Havila:

@Genial,
Jesus Christ simply quoted Isaiah 35:5 and 61:1 where it is written that the coming messiah will give the blind their sight and preach the gospel to the poor. By telling John that He is doing those things, Jesus Christ alluded to his Messiahship, thus John TB knew Jesus is the Messiah.

Hmmm. . . not so, Havila.

This is how John knew who Jesus was:

29The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' 31I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel."
32Then John gave this testimony: "I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. 33I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.' 34I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God."
John 1:29-34.
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Aggressa(m): 1:09am On Jan 06, 2007
@Genial,
hmmm,,,,,,,,,,,yes and no! Yes it is true John TB baptised Jesus as recorded in the passage you quoted, and also in Matthew 3 vs 11-17 (same story). But do you know that John TB later QUERIED/DOUBTED the messiahship of Jesus when he was imprisoned, in Matthew 11 vs 2-3: "Now when John had heard in the prison the works (of Jesus) he sent two of his disciples, And said unto him, Art though he that should come, or do we look for another?

And in response, Jesus now sent message back to John TB (that was my initial answer) in Matt 11vs 4-5 that:
"Go and show John those things which ye do hear and see. The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them."

The highlighted portions are Jesus's allusions to Isaiah 35:5 and Isaiah 61:1, where it is stated that these will be some of the works performed by the Messiah. Hence, Jesus was clearly vindicating his messiahship to John who questioned/doubted His messiahship, while wondering why Jesus left him in prison! Yes it is true John TB proclaimed Jesus the messiah at Baptism, but did he really "undoubtedly" believe it himself or really know it, until Jesus asserted it?
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Genial(m): 1:18am On Jan 06, 2007
I just gave you the answer to my question, Havila. I was very well aware of the portion you quoted when I asked my question. There is no record of John's response to his disciples' report of Jesus' miracles in response to his enquiry from the prison.

The portion I quoted is the place where it is stated unequivocally how John knew that Jesus was the Christ. Can you show me any other place that is a direct answer to my question?

My next question:

What was the name of Jacob (Israel's) daughter, and what was the name of the man who raped her?
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Nobody: 1:26am On Jan 06, 2007
Genial:

My next question:

What was the name of Jacob (Israel's) daughter, and what was the name of the man who raped her?

Gen 34

Dinah raped by Shechem the son of hamor

My question:
Where did Cain get his wife from?
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Genial(m): 1:32am On Jan 06, 2007
davidylan:

Gen 34

Dinah raped by Shechem the son of hamor

My question:
Where did Cain get his wife from?

From Eden. . . lipsrsealed

2 He created them male and female, and blessed them and called them Mankind in the day they were created. Gen 5:2

I'm listening if you have a better answer.

My question: What office(s) did Samuel occupy in Israel?
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Nobody: 1:35am On Jan 06, 2007
Called them mankind or Adam?

This question is leading me to my very next question. . .
Was Adam the first inhabitant of the earth?
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Genial(m): 1:40am On Jan 06, 2007
davidylan:

Called them mankind or Adam?

Mankind = Adam. Why do you think you sinned when Adam sinned, and you became righteous when Jesus atoned for the sin?

This question is leading me to my very next question. . .
Was Adam the first inhabitant of the earth?

Answer my question first! tongue

To your question: No, he wasn't, if you count the sheep and goats and dinosaurs, etc that were created before him.
Re: Bible Quiz Game by ajadrage: 11:06pm On Jun 19, 2007
Adam was not the first inhabitant of the earth as the chronology of Biblical accounts of creation explains. However, Adam represented mankind in creation and the generality of the god like creatures present during the infancy of mankind. The presence of others like Adam was confirmed when a curse was laid on Cain that none should strike him dead in the course of his sojourning. Thus, while closely following the Adamic lineage, the bible applies him as a personification of the promise between God and man
Re: Bible Quiz Game by TayoD(m): 2:04am On Jun 20, 2007
@ajadrage,

Adam was not the first inhabitant of the earth as the chronology of Biblical accounts of creation explains. However, Adam represented mankind in creation and the generality of the god like creatures present during the infancy of mankind.
Adam was not the first inhabitant of the earth, though he was the first human on earth.  The Bible testifies that Lucifer was in Eden, the garden of the Lord at a time that Adam was not yet created. Ezekiel 28:13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

The presence of others like Adam was confirmed when a curse was laid on Cain that none should strike him dead in the course of his sojourning.
This does not prove that those that strike him will be humans. Afterall, fallen angels still walked the earth until the time of Noah when God finally bound them up in chains of darkness. God might have those in mind when He made that pronouncement. Besides, Cain had other brothers and sisters that could strike him dead at that time.

Thus, while closely following the Adamic lineage, the bible applies him as a personification of the promise between God and man
Again, all humans are direct descendants of Adam. Remember that Adam called his wife Eve because she would become the mother of all living. Acts 17:26 is eloquent testimony that mankind came from one source - Adam.  Acts 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
Re: Bible Quiz Game by TayoD(m): 2:24am On Jun 20, 2007
Question: Which biblical Prophet was said to exhibit madness?
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Nobody: 2:27am On Jun 20, 2007
Balaam
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Ndipe(m): 9:15am On Jun 20, 2007
How many wise men came to visit Jesus Christ, after His Birth?
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 21, 2007
@Ndipe

question has been discussed already , read back

Ans: we do not know, the number of men was not recorded just the types of gifts

Who was Ruth's second husband (talk abt a woman toasting a man very 21st century kiss I need tips)
Re: Bible Quiz Game by barikade: 9:45am On Jun 21, 2007
salsera:

Who was Ruth's second husband (talk about a woman toasting a man very 21st century kiss I need tips)

Boaz - Ruth 4:13.

-------------

How many sons did Abraham have besides Ishmael and Isaac?
Re: Bible Quiz Game by ajadrage: 10:18am On Jun 21, 2007
TayoD, sorry to burst your bubble, but it is clearly and explicitly documented in the bible that Eve did not bear further children until after Abel was murdered. Seth was born into the world after Cain had already taken a wife, so, it is most unlikely that Cain took as wife his sister, as there is no bible reference to that effect, thus lending further credence to the fact that there were other peoples inhabiting the earth simultaneously with Adam.

Coming to the issue of angels taking a fancy to earthmaidens, those events took place quite a while after the era of Adam and his nuclear family. At that time in the earths history, man had already started populating the world, thus, Cain was not expecting the Napthalim or their angel fathers to smite him, he was expecting fellow men to do such.

I still maintain that Adam was not the first inhabitant on the earth, in fact, he becomes somewhat of the most recent creation, but his status as a perfect man amongst other manlike creations is that of an earth god representing the almighty God in his creation and figurehead of all created.
Re: Bible Quiz Game by Nobody: 11:06am On Jun 21, 2007
@tayoD

didnt know you had a bubble grin

How many children did Abraham have after those one

dunno undecided
Re: Bible Quiz Game by barikade: 6:13pm On Jun 21, 2007
@ajadrage,

ajadrage:

TayoD, sorry to burst your bubble, but it is clearly and explicitly documented in the bible that Eve did not bear further children until after Abel was murdered. Seth was born into the world after Cain had already taken a wife, so, it is most unlikely that Cain took as wife his sister, as there is no bible reference to that effect, thus lending further credence to the fact that there were other peoples inhabiting the earth simultaneously with Adam.

The Bible makes plain that Adam was the first man to be created, though. It's interesting how you reason out your persuasion; but could you share as to why you make these assumptions?

ajadrage:

I still maintain that Adam was not the first inhabitant on the earth, in fact, he becomes somewhat of the most recent creation, but his status as a perfect man amongst other manlike creations is that of an earth god representing the almighty God in his creation and figurehead of all created.

That Adam is the first man created is what I read in the Bible. However, what would you mean by "other manlike creations"?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Post Your First Ever Comment On Nairaland Here. / How Many Locks Are Open? / Your Real Name(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.