Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,877 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? (27599 Views)

Why Do Men Lose Interest In Their Wives After Few Years In Marriage? / Blind Couple Who Have Been Married For 40 Years Tell Their Love Story / Husbands Urged To Do This For Their Wives So Their Marriage Could Work. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by abike12(f): 7:17pm On Oct 18, 2016
buffalowings:

Where in Nigeria are you filing taxes?

Is being physically located in Nigeria a requirement to comment on this forum?

1 Like

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by namuguibe(m): 7:18pm On Oct 18, 2016
Tell her ... (how much you make) / 1.5

1 Like

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by nonjebose(m): 7:18pm On Oct 18, 2016
It is good for both of them know how much each earns, especially salary earners. Letting her have an idea of how much the husband saves a lot of issues
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by Mrjo(m): 7:19pm On Oct 18, 2016
eyinjuege:
Well, most men that don't want wahala will let their wives know how much they earn, otherwise the expectations will be too much.
Most people assume you earn more than you actually do and make unreasonable demands.
If as a man your salary isn't so great, and you can hardly keep up with payments, you had better let your wife know and face the reality. Her expectations and demands won't be unreasonable, and within your salary scale.
Some men even hand over their salaries to their wives. She supplements it with her own to run the house, pay household bills, school fees and all what not.
Though if you earn so much monthly, you can still get away with not letting her know cos you can always meet all demands. In fact, you see some really rich guys who live moderately, drive small cars, stays in a nice but small apartment who don't like an ostentatious lifestyle. Their wives will even be pitying them that they're demanding too much, not knowing they're wealthy cheesy.
But all in all, its a good idea to let your spouse know your earnings so you can all plan your spendings wisely.
She knowing how much you earn doesn't mean she's gonna be in charge of your finances especially if you don't trust her spending habits.
u said it all

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by Alegirl: 7:19pm On Oct 18, 2016
YES

1 Like

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by doskie(m): 7:20pm On Oct 18, 2016
1bkaye:
Different couples, different arrangements. I personally would want to know how much he earns and will also let him know of my earnings. I plan to have some sort of joint account with my spouse where we'll probably deposit agreed amounts monthly that will be used to settle common expenses. Separate to our own individual personal accounts.
k.
So when do we start
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Oct 18, 2016
Ideally you both should be willing to disclose such information, but practically, I would highly advice against it...if you have been following this discuss, you'ld have also discovered that women true to their nature consider ours what's the males' and hers alone what belongs to her...sharing is not natural to women, in the olden days our forefathers had to force them to share...but nowadays it is politically incorrect.

Concerning your income as a man, your attitude should be letting your yes be your yes and your nay, nay....and let your natural instinct to provide and protect your family dictate the rest...every pc monger should go to hell.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by buffalowings: 7:21pm On Oct 18, 2016
abike12:

Is being physically located in Nigeria a requirement to comment on this forum?

Sometimes I forget that Nigerians in the diaspora do comment.

2 Likes

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by Freksy(m): 7:24pm On Oct 18, 2016
Tinalex:
Its not a must,in so far as he takes care of the bills in the home. what do I need the amount he earns for?

It's your right to know how much he earns. It's not his money., but family's.

He should not even embark on any major expense without your knowledge - there should be family budget.

Everyone's role in the family is important. No one has anything & everything should be accounted for.

1 Like

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by rickyrex(m): 7:27pm On Oct 18, 2016
for me I will not want my wife to tender her salary neither do I expect her to know how much I have in my account. Reason been that most women change their taste immediately they know how much you earn.. Either they make request on frivolous things or they make you pay for thing you never planed for. Also same goes to the men pushing some key responsibilities meant for them to the woman.. Therefore I will suggest we open a joint account aside our individual accounts where we can save and use it when necessary
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 18, 2016
yes but no
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by Maximus85(m): 7:29pm On Oct 18, 2016
oloyede252:
sequence to this thread " Do You Think Married Women Should Tender Their Salaries To Their Husbands?.many females are of the opinion that husband's have No business with their wife salaries, which now beg the question "Do You Think Married men should tell their wife how much they earn"

It depends of the kind of wife. If she's materialistic and always want to spend, not thinking of tomorrow.... It's a NO NO NO.
But if it's a wife who encourages the husband to plan for the future.... Then it's a big YES.

2 Likes

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by kwinsliy(m): 7:31pm On Oct 18, 2016
Personally, i am not a man that plans to dpend on only one source of income like government work.
I will have multiple sources of income. And i will only tell her how much i earn from one of them. I dnt want my wife to start making unnecessary demands.
Not withstanding, i wont neglect her personal needs of course.
But letting her know my net worth and how much i earn is something i wont do.
Women can be one hell of a monitoring spirit

1 Like

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by trendyrammy(f): 7:31pm On Oct 18, 2016
eitsei:
that means your husband also has same rights to know how much you earn

There's nothing bad in couples telling each other how much they earn. Both the husband and the wife.

1 Like

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by Blitz888(m): 7:32pm On Oct 18, 2016
I stand for full disclosure.

1 Like

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by flamingREED(m): 7:34pm On Oct 18, 2016
realityone:
My wife knows how much exactly I earn and I know hers also. In fact we both have the pins to our ATM cards. We plan our monies together because we see the family as one. No hidden nor personal agenda. Adam and Eve were both naked yet they were not ashamed. A perfect home is when both the man and the woman are truly one in heart, in the body, in finances etc.

The one that knows God is the one that has accepted what God has given him, goes the saying.

My friends up there are busy telling me that they and their spouses will live like two tenants sharing the same apartment.

So, they accept one another but not necessarily into every fabric of their lives.

1 Like

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by Siscooh: 7:36pm On Oct 18, 2016
Woman hmm!

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by meetdavid: 7:37pm On Oct 18, 2016
fellis:

Marry a modern man with a very good heart then.
Many Nigerian men the minute they find out their wives have money they assume it is now time to share financial responsibilities 50/50 but these men will never ever decide to share child care and house keeping 50/50.
No. Na the wife work be that.

U are too quick to evade responsibility but u pple re on all d radio stations in Nigeria screaming gender equality..if he says 50/50 so what? Is it not your family, is it only his family?? If he now claims all d ryts some women wud now say *he doesn't AV d ryts*

2 Likes

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by tosyne2much(m): 7:37pm On Oct 18, 2016
carlosta:
So she will start calculating how much you've been spending on her? You earn 2m in a month and buy her handbag of 2k you think she will be happy with that knowledge. That's bad for business. Only spells doom
Hahahaha funny u cheesy
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by ChefKola: 7:39pm On Oct 18, 2016
I agree!
1bkaye:
Different couples, different arrangements. I personally would want to know how much he earns and will also let him know of my earnings. I plan to have some sort of joint account with my spouse where we'll probably deposit agreed amounts monthly that will be used to settle common expenses. Separate to our own individual personal accounts.
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by sherif4owo(m): 7:40pm On Oct 18, 2016
Akposb:
Seriously questions like this make one wonder what sort of expectations that people of this present age have on entering marriage. Salary on any ground shouldn't be a secret. Any attempt to make it so could be a recipe for trust issues. Marry someone you can call a companion so that you don't have to consider such issue like this as an option.

You make sense.. this is not suppose to even be a discussion
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by ChefKola: 7:40pm On Oct 18, 2016
1bkaye:
I agree
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by greateliso(m): 7:45pm On Oct 18, 2016
Its important for both parties to know each others salary. But in a situation when i notice my wife is not a good manager, i will change and dance along with her level of understanding. Wisdom is profitable to direct; in order to avoid wahala.

2 Likes

Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by seniorkachion(m): 7:46pm On Oct 18, 2016
fellis:

Wake up at night to carry crying baby as often as your wife does it, bathe and dress kids, clean and change diaper, prepare pap/baby formula to feed since you can't breastfeed, play with them when they are crying of boredom, take them to hospital when they are ill, take them to school and bring them back when they close from school, assist them with homework, teach them how to handle bullies, teach them how to do housework to help out at home, discipline them properly when they misbehave etc
All of these i have done. What more do i lack ?
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by jaybee3(m): 7:48pm On Oct 18, 2016
zicoraads:
Erm, I really don't know. I'll just observe the married ones and see what they say. Where is Jaybee3...coman comment grin

I remember my last girlfriend, funny girl wanted to play with my emotions and find out how much I was actually earning. I dodge her pass grin cheesy

I know how much she earns
I have access to her accounts
She has dedicated financial responsibilities
I don't question what she does with her money but that's probably because she is good with money

What else do you want to know?
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by Familyfirst: 7:49pm On Oct 18, 2016
oloyede252:
sequence to this thread " Do You Think Married Women Should Tender Their Salaries To Their Husbands?.many females are of the opinion that husband's have No business with their wife salaries, which now beg the question "Do You Think Married men should tell their wife how much they earn"
if your Marriage what it is should be,ONENESS then there will be no reason to hide income from each other. I read things like this on familyparliament.com
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by eitsei(m): 7:53pm On Oct 18, 2016
trendyrammy:

There's nothing bad in couples telling each other how much they earn. Both the husband and the wife.
no one is saying it's a bad thing.. But what ladies say is that their own money belongs to them only while their husbands money belongs to both of them... And they are now using how much a man earns to determine his responsibilities and roles at home, a man that's earning lesser than the wife will have to share from the wifely roles of his wife to complement the lapses
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by iamharkinwaley: 7:57pm On Oct 18, 2016
Just like some said earlier, different couples different arrangements
As for me I will prefer the couples to know how much each of their salary worth and with that there will be plans,better arrangement that will avoid conflicts.......
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by intrepid: 7:58pm On Oct 18, 2016
No big deal. Depends on the level of relationship between them which will dictate the level of trust and friendship they share.

Both have become one flesh.
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by chrisj2(m): 8:00pm On Oct 18, 2016
buffalowings:

Sometimes I forget that Nigerians in the diaspora do comment.

Furthermore, in the UK, most people can have a rough idea and good guestimate of what others earn - that is if you are an employee and do normal jobs not a merchant banker, or work for a multi-nationals or at the very high level in the entertainment/media industry.

For me, it is not about how much the spouses earn but how much investment and personal savings and assets they have - and their liabilities/debts should also be factored in.

I do not think it is necessary to fully disclose everything - being married does not stop the person being an individual and being an individual and does help (sometimes) in terms of financial management. Again, it could be negative - as the other half might be buried in debt without disclosure. I am very good with money and I do trust myself to invest in the future of myself and family. Full disclosure might help especially with folks wanting this and that and the other half might want to splash out on this or that..

Why should a woman or man submit his or her salary or wages in a marriage - this is why a joint account comes in: the contribution ratio depends on individual circumstances - the wife might earn more than the man or the income of one or both might vary if they are business people or freelance.

* You should always have a bit of you in every relationship!
Re: Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? by odigiri1983(m): 8:00pm On Oct 18, 2016
That's it.Most of them commenting have no experience about marriage. The married should be in a good position to share their experience on this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

''Together Since 1967'' Couple Celebrates 52nd Wedding Anniversary (Photos) / Should I Allow My Mum To Visit Us / Woman Flees Home In Owerri With Her Children Over Husband's Bad Attitude. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.