Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike (11286 Views)

MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike / Ekiti State University ASUU Begins Indefinite Strike / ASUU To Resume Indefinite Strike On Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by Cornerstone99: 9:33am On Oct 18, 2016
The Academic Staff Union of University, Ebonyi State University, (EBSU) Chapter on Monday commenced an indefinite industrial action.

According to the Union, the strike is to press home their demand for the State Government to release the 2014 Professorial promotion and 2015 promotion of other cadres of academic staff of the institution and none gazetting of Academic Staff for the last 15 years.

Chairman of the union, Prof Ndubuisi Idenyi said that apart from the release of the promotion, the union is also protesting the slashing of their monthly salaries by the State government.

He also called for the sack of the university Vice Chancellor, Prof Francis Idike who he alleged have stayed beyond his stipulated tenure in office.

Prof Idenyi said that before now, the union had planned to embark on a warning strike but after deliberations, the general consensus was for them to embark on a total and indefinite strike action which commenced today.

According to him, before the commencement of the industrial action, the union had written to the institution management informing them of their intention to embark on the strike.

He said:”But unfortunately all the demands we presented to the management, none was meet and we had no other option than to commence the strike action”.

“We have eight point demand, one is the demand for gazzeting of the academic staff of the institution for the last 15 years, another is the Professorial promotion for 2014 and other caders for 2015 which government said the management are withholding, so we want it released immediately”.

“Another is the defective EBSU law, there is no where in the world that the law we are using in the university is being operated where a Vice Chancellor will serve for 2 terms of 8 years each”.

“What the law provided is a single term of 5 years, we want that to be enshrined in our own law and that we are demanding that it should be done immediately. I don’t know why they are finding it difficult to initiate this law so that things will move smoothly in the institution”.

Prof Idenyi accused the present state government of being pretentious about most of the issues raised by the union especially gazzeting of the academic staff of the institution adding that the previous administration had approved the sum of 4.1 million for the printing of the gazzete which was to have been done in Enugu before the present government came on board.

He regretted that since the inception of the new administration, the Governor have continued to insist that the gazzeteing did not follow due process.

“He was the Deputy Governor when the approval was done. The government is simply paying lip-service to our plight”.

Reacting to government allegation of the institution being over staffed, Prof Idenyi insisted that there are minimum benchmark by the National University Commission NUC on the number of staff that each institution must have before the school would have accreditation.
“With the exit of many lecturers for greener pastures, the institution would loose accreditation if the lecturers were not replaced”.
Prof Idenyi further stated that until all the demands are meet, the union would not shift ground and would resist any plan by the government to collapse the institution.

The ASUU Chairman noted that the union is not scared of the threat of “No work, No pay” policy of the state government and urged the government to urgently do the needful.

When our reporter visited the College of Agriculture (CAS) campus of the school as well as Presco and Ishieke campuses of the institution, all the classrooms were under lock and key while some students were seen in clusters discussing the industrial action.

http://thenationonlineng.net/ebsu-ASUU-begins-indefinite-strike/

Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by sammychimex(m): 10:13am On Oct 18, 2016
Am sure none of their demands will improve the lots of students in school. The only thing be say the strike Na opportunity for students to hustle

3 Likes

Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by Teedawg: 10:44am On Oct 18, 2016
this is not legit
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by israelboy1(m): 11:10am On Oct 18, 2016
hoping this is just not true to be believed.
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 18, 2016
They day my future wife gives birth is the day i start saving to ensure my children receive tertiary education in a western country.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 18, 2016
Source jare..... Cuz I'm seriously hoping this isn't true.
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 18, 2016
screenshot also modify your title to ASUU ebonyi state chapter goes on strike!
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by DONIYKE6(m): 1:04pm On Oct 18, 2016
Iffa hear, strike kor
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by OgaSirAde(m): 2:10pm On Oct 18, 2016
This thread is inciting Op u shld b specific, its a chapter of ASUU that is on strike not ASUU. Revert
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by superfelix: 2:40pm On Oct 18, 2016
copied frm palmchat ke? and abeg modify yur title..ASUU ebonyi uni chapter
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by policy12: 2:48pm On Oct 18, 2016
Op Ivan ppu to get HBP? Please modify d topic.. .
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by damiloladuke: 4:22pm On Oct 18, 2016
what a country.
read the next line jere
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 4:23pm On Oct 18, 2016
Under this recession undecided Anyway, farming has always been their preoccupation grin grin grin grin
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by biadaba: 4:26pm On Oct 18, 2016
sammychimex:
Am sure none of their demands will improve the lots of students in school. The only thing be say the strike Na opportunity for students to hustle

Strike is inevitable in Nigerian universities
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by misscall247: 4:28pm On Oct 18, 2016
recession.... .buhari why?
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by MadCow1: 4:29pm On Oct 18, 2016
Ebonyi get University? undecided

Wow!!
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by Biddypearl(f): 4:29pm On Oct 18, 2016
HMMM
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 18, 2016
The union is also protesting the slashing of their monthly salaries by the State government.
Dear SE Brothers,

You complain of marginalization by the FG but often times, many of you fail to acknowledge the fact that your leaders(governors and legislators) are the one really mortgaging your futures. It's funny some people are blaming recession alone when they knew it was corruption that is the root cause of your intractable problems.

It's ironic Same governor that could afford SUV jeeps for legislators who are already overfed can owe salaries.

Same workers voted for Umahi, let them enjoy him while it last.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 18, 2016
I saw it coming...but our brothers sentimentally shoved my opinion aside

1 Like

Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by Lanre4uonly(m): 4:36pm On Oct 18, 2016
It is well.
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by sungelsocco(m): 4:42pm On Oct 18, 2016
I choose to keep silent.

1 Like

Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by RentALodge: 4:45pm On Oct 18, 2016
[b]I am sorry to say this but even though the Federal and state governments in their usual manner of not meeting expectations is very incompetent, I dare say that 90% of lecturers in Nigerian Universities are pretty much useless or not fit for purpose. I can write a very lengthy post about this but for space and time, I won't. Currently there is no system of weeding out the truly useless lecturers as they can simply hide under the ASUU umbrella and get a pay rise when everyone else gets it. But like any other job that requires skill, talented people are always rare so it is perfectly normal for them to earn as much as is possible. To get this to happen, you will need to break up the ASUU system. The current seriously penalizes the lecturers who are actually very good and reduces their ‘discoverability’ to nothing more than word of mouth. The day ASUU becomes irrelevant, many people will be amazed that teaching will not stop taking place in Nigerian universities. Indeed, you’d be shocked at how teaching quality will go up when there’s no longer anyone to fight for the dross.[/b]

**If you are a student and you would like to work for RentALodge as a RentALodge contact in your school, see the signature for address. We are recruiting for all schools in Nigeria.**

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by ucee64(m): 5:01pm On Oct 18, 2016
am loving this drama wow so na next yr I go resume
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by princepee001: 5:07pm On Oct 18, 2016
MadCow1:

Wow!!

You are either foolish or extremely stupid

6 Likes

Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 18, 2016
Keneking:
Under this recession undecided Anyway, farming has always been their preoccupation grin grin grin grin
fellow igbos like u are the reasons for Igbo disunity....is it only Ebonyi indigenes that school in EBSU....am from Enugu but I get nauseated how u guys disgrace the igbo tribe on nairaland...tufiakwa

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 18, 2016
MadCow1:

Wow!!
na ur family get university...Afonja!

5 Likes

Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by MadCow1: 5:13pm On Oct 18, 2016
princepee001:

You are either foolish or extremely stupid

Wonderment..

Bros! Maka why? undecided

That really hurt Mt feelings you know.
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by MadCow1: 5:15pm On Oct 18, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

na ur family get university...Afonja!

Afonja kwa?

All these 042 touts no get respect again o.. angry
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by Holimallam(m): 5:21pm On Oct 18, 2016
Una don join..operation indefinite,,,,proudly ladokite
Re: ASUU, EBSU Chapter Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 18, 2016
MadCow1:

Afonja kwa?

All these 042 touts no get respect again o.. angry
oooo....I forgot u are okoawusa brother living in that dirty place they call owerri with highest prostitutes and bride price world over...owerri tout

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Meaning By "the Child Is The Father Of The Man" / World Bank Grants LASU 7million Dollars Funding / Good Gre Training Centres In Lagos Or Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.