Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,922 members, 7,799,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? (21310 Views)

What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? / Daddy Freeze: "Pastor Said I Will Die In 24 Months Over Tithe, Free The Sheeple" / What Does The Name Jesus Mean To You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Danmaiduguri(m): 8:24am On Oct 23, 2016
ilynem:

Typical Muslims. They knit pick what agrees with the Quran and discard the rest that go against them. Just the same way they pick what makes their religion sound cool from the Hadiths and discard the ones that make them look like utter fools forgetting that these Hadiths where written by Muslim "scholars". And yet they call us the confused ones.

Atleast we have seperating God's Word with prophet words unlike u christians Jampacked Everything all together, Word of God, word of prophets, words of historians, scholars as well as uncountable scientific errors and Condradictions.

Which bible do u believed as the true word of God KJV,RSV,ASV,DOAY,NIRV, etc. these are the few i can think of because their are dozen and dozen of bibles.

Why do u keep panelbeating it time to time? Or did u get New revelation from God. Eg KJV 1john 5:7 "There are three that bear record in heaven father, sin and holy ghost". This verse is removed from d RSV. why?? There are thousands of contradictions and errors but i wont some brothers will find it insulting.

The Quran is 1400yrs old but not even a single word has not been changed. Alhamdulillah. Islam is the Truth religion.

3 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by africanusvu(m): 8:24am On Oct 23, 2016
He means.he NEVER CHANGES.wat he was yestday.he is today and he wil remain tomorow.his words is amen.his promises neva fails.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by collinsfhk(m): 8:24am On Oct 23, 2016
Heresy!

godunia:
2 Corinthians 4:4 among whom the god of this system (Satan) of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, (chrstaindom) so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, (not God) might not shine through.Jesus is not God Almighty (Jehovah') and he never claimed he is. He was created Col 1:15 like every thing else. Even as a perfect creature with prehuman existence, he never considered himself to be equal to God (Jehovah) Matt 12:29 ,he said there's only one God why is Satan causing wahala with this simple truth. Jesus said he is a son, Satan world insist he is Jehovah, can God be born, can God die, can anyone see God and yet live, who did Jesus prayed to, who resurrected Jesus? Make I stop.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Maximus85(m): 8:28am On Oct 23, 2016
Splinz:
Certainly yes, Jesus did declared Himself God, and indeed He is!

Here is the unmistakably prove of it: "God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'" (Exodus 3:14). Also, this is another solid prove that Jesus Christ is the God of the Old Testament.

Please show us where Jesus referred to himself as I AM.
Thanks.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by atoleybaba(m): 8:29am On Oct 23, 2016
Btruth:
It will be surprisingly to the un-believers, because to them, it will be impossible for the son to be the same as the Father. Father & son are the same. So Jesus' claim was right that He is the Father & the Lord too.
egbon calm down and reason is it logical to be a father and d same time son of urself? Y are u making it look like a daft person wrote the bible for stupid people....u are d reason y people become atheist ahn ahn....God is not stupid and wrote d bible for it to be understandable and not twisted as u are putting....all in d name of ur clergy men trying to cover up their wring teaching that Jesus is God dy bring stupid ideology that is not even in d bible....egbon be humble enough ooh sorry u are too blinded by ur religious leaders if not u ought to just accept a change in ur old belief. Jesus isn't God he is the son of God....God doesn't av a beginning and no end. Jesus has a beginning Buh no end.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by eyekaynoble: 8:30am On Oct 23, 2016
Stop all these confusions! Haba!! JEHOVAH is the Almighty God and Jesus Christ is HIS messenger. Remember d bible states that Jesus always say "He that sent me" and don't forget when He was baptised, a voice from heaven said "This is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased" or the verse that says "For GOD so loved d world, that HE sent HIS only begotten son..." So, why all these arguments? Jesus is a god but not the almighty GOD. Simple!
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by tintingz(m): 8:30am On Oct 23, 2016
George2016:

May God forgive you and have mercy on you.
You should ask God for forgiveness because you believe a man to be God.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by africanusvu(m): 8:31am On Oct 23, 2016
Wiy waste ur MB?This is neva d answer to d question.we arnt here to compare bible to quran.we arnt here to compare jesus to mohammed.we arnt here to compare jihad to crusade.we arnt here to compare isreal to mecca.we ar here as a family to relate social and ease the tensions nature presents to us each day.dnt add more tension by religion pls
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by whiteprince(m): 8:32am On Oct 23, 2016
tintingz:
It's obvious the former is still referring to the latter in same context. Something like "God has sent me unto you"

he LORD said to Moses, “I am the LORD; tell Pharaoh king of Egypt all that I say to you.”(Exodus 6:29)

It has been concluded.

As for John: " Before Abraham I am" to clear it " before Abraham God"? That didn't flow.

Even Jehovah witness don't support it, they know it was misinterpreted by some Christians.

There are many verses Jesus denied being God.

The writter of John as really done good job to portray Jesus as God.

Ahh guy,I don't know where u re coming from but all ur comments are not making sense atall.
You re confusing urself,I never wanted to quote you but seeing you are commenting a lot of nonsenses and rubbish,I have to quote you.
So if you don't have any idea abt something jst shutup and read comments and quotes instead of saying nonsense...

Jesus is not God the first,remember there is three persons in trinity,God the father,God the son and God the holy Ghost,He is God the son,"for God so love the world that he sent His only begotten son"
Jesus is the son of God,in other words God in human flesh,so when he said I AM,He is not referring Himself as God the first,bt He's indirectly because He's the second person in trinity which is also God but in different form,which means He has been there from day one even before Adam...

So when He said before abraham I AM,no b lie,he is very much correct...it will take you wisdom to understand...

See let me tell you,it will take you ur life time to study God finish and wisdom to understand Him
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by cescky(m): 8:33am On Oct 23, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
Did Jesus declare Himself to be God by saying 'I AM'?

Yes he did,Iam is the name of God
When God said to Moses Iam 'that' Iam he meant he was the all encompassing i.e. Everything in everything.

God is a spirit and can't be seen just like u can't see spirit with ur naked eye.

Evil and Godly spirits are constantly on earth looking for a vessel to use, because the modus operandi on earth Is a human body or flesh.

So we can say Jesus was God and is God because he was Gods all encompassing vehicle.

That's why when Philip asks Jesus to show them the father....Jesus says have u a been with me and yet haven't seen the father? Just like we are spirits and can't see our spirit with the naked eye...Jesus was the fullness of God. Just like Coke the content is the real thing not the bottle (body)so in a sense if we are Coke, (spirit) was the real or Almoghty Coke..

To further buttress the point.. The bible is a book written to spirits not physical humans hence when u try to understand it with ur brain it may not make sense... But if u look at it from the spiritual it makes sense, that's why when you pray ur enjoined to believe.. Physically it's hard to but spiritually its easier believing you have recived
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by phranq(m): 8:34am On Oct 23, 2016
Rilwayne001:

Does that make him Allah?

Well well, i used to hold that view before, but not any longer. Could you now please answer my question?

a simple illustration to your question...... do u hv a shadow?? r u different frm ur shadow??
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by atoleybaba(m): 8:35am On Oct 23, 2016
Splinz:

I can see that you're crawling on all four scripturally. Such needless show of ignorance.

Anyways, if by any chance you want your darkness enlightened, you can as well humble yourself and ask for it.
enlightened with d rubbish u preach? No thanks...u guys preach what is not in d bible, the main reason y people leave christian homes to become atheist all in d name of covering ur false teaching, u twist d bible to ur taste and u Dont even twist it sensibly, u twist it in a way that educated interested person just look at d bible and call it trash.... U guys are d main cause. I will advise u to contact d witnesses let them sharpen ur mind spiritually and drop ur ego
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by adegeye38(m): 8:36am On Oct 23, 2016
Jesus is God
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by ilynem(m): 8:37am On Oct 23, 2016
Danmaiduguri:

Atleast we have seperating God's Word with prophet words unlike u christians Jampacked Everything all together, Word of God, word of prophets, words of historians, scholars as well as uncountable scientific errors and Condradictions.

Which bible do u believed as the true word of God KJV,RSV,ASV,DOAY,NIRV, etc. these are the few i can think of because their are dozen and dozen of bibles.

Why do u keep panelbeating it time to time? Or did u get New revelation from God. Eg KJV 1john 5:7 "There are three that bear record in heaven father, sin and holy ghost". This verse is removed from d RSV. why?? There are thousands of contradictions and errors but i wont some brothers will find it insulting.

The Quran is 1400yrs old but not even a single word has not been changed. Alhamdulillah. Islam is the Truth religion.
The many versions are for easy understanding. And all you Muslims saying Christians have changed the Bible over time is just pure ignorance. Even your Muslim scholars have searched the ancient manuscripts of the new testament and have seen that nothing has been changed. Thier new argument is now that the followers of Jesus actually portrayed Him as what He was not which is very laughable. But you will agree that your Quran referred you to the Bible. Wonder why if the Quran was sooooooo complete? And why do you all need the Hadiths which contradicts each other? There is actually a Hadith that said Muhammad saw his adopted son's wife half naked And after that married her. And this was written by a Muslim scholar!!!! But you will say, nooooo this makes Muhammad look bad, let us reject this and accept the ones that make us look really cool. Confused human beings.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Rilwayne001: 8:39am On Oct 23, 2016
phranq:

a simple illustration to your question...... do u hv a shadow?? r u different frm ur shadow??

Pray tell, how is this an illustration to my post?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by tintingz(m): 8:47am On Oct 23, 2016
whiteprince:

Ahh guy,I don't know where u re coming from but all ur comments are not making sense atall.
You re confusing urself,I never wanted to quote you but seeing you are commenting a lot of nonsenses and rubbish,I have to quote you.
So if you don't have any idea abt something jst shutup and read comments and quotes instead of saying nonsense...

Jesus is not God the first,remember there is three persons in trinity,God the father,God the son and God the holy Ghost,He is God the son,"for God so love the world that he sent His only begotten son"
Jesus is the son of God,in other words God in human flesh,so when he said I AM,He is not referring Himself as God the first,bt He's indirectly because He's the second person in trinity which is also God but in different form...

See let me tell you,it will take you ur life time to study God finish and wisdom to understand Him
Lol, you are the one confusing yourself.

I only believe God is one NO partner and there is no one equal with him.

You in the other believe God is three(trinity)?

What is God the first, God the second? Does that make any sense to you. Why is the holy spirit always left out when Jesus is talking about God.?

Can God be the same as the son? Can God really begot a son? Can God be a man and die? How many sons did God had? please use your brain and reason.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by melejo(m): 8:48am On Oct 23, 2016
Brigham:
One funny observation about the major theme of Christianity is that it's self defeating.

Why should an 'all powerful' god have to sacrifice 'himself' to 'himself' before men could be forgiven.

That's magnanimous
Where did you get the word 'self-defeaing'? Obviously you don't know the meaning.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Omooba77: 8:52am On Oct 23, 2016
Brigham:
One funny observation about the major theme of Christianity is that it's self defeating.

Why should an 'all powerful' god have to sacrifice 'himself' to 'himself' before men could be forgiven.

That's magnanimous

1Cor 1:18..God will open your understanding sir
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Omooba77: 8:54am On Oct 23, 2016
tintingz:
Lol, you are the one confusing yourself.

I only believe God is one NO partner and there is no one equal with him.

You in the other believe God is three(trinity)?

What is God the first, God the second? Does that make any sense to you. Why is the holy spirit always left out when Jesus is talking about God.?

Can God be the same as the son? Can God really begot a son? Can God be a man and die? How many sons did God had? please use your brain and reason.

Holy Spirit has never been left out, 1John 5:7, John 14, John 17. Genesis 1:1-3

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by mychelyte(m): 8:55am On Oct 23, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
Did Jesus declare Himself to be God by saying 'I AM'?
Ask your mum & dad at home first.

Wetin make u reason this kind rubbish this morning?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by tintingz(m): 8:57am On Oct 23, 2016
phranq:

Rilwayne001 see the illogical question this man is asking you.

Shadow is a result of light, take the light away the shadow fade away, shadow is not a clear. This shows one is superior than the other because the other one only appear when there is light.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by melejo(m): 8:57am On Oct 23, 2016
Seun, Lalasticlala and every other mode well done ehn. When it touches the basic doctrine of Christianity you guys will make it open. Anyone will be allowed to contribute unhindered. But whenit has to do with the religion of peace, then everyone that must comment must first accept Allah as the only true god and Mohammed last and greatest prophet. Whatever you guys are trying to achieve let me tell you that those who for centuries were terribly against Christianity using all means have passed on and Christianity remains. Why must Christianitybe subject to open discussion while Islam is not. Your guess is as good as mine, they are religion of p.........

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by greatjoey: 8:58am On Oct 23, 2016
Rilwayne001:

Does that make him Allah?

Well well, i used to hold that view before, but not any longer. Could you now please answer my question?

My brother, if the qoran you so believe did admit that Jesus Christ is the word of God (Sallatu Allah) and spirit of God (Ruhu Allah), what is more convincing to concluding that He is God himself, knowing that your spirit is and your word cannot be separated from you? You were taught simple logic in school right?

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by redsun(m): 9:00am On Oct 23, 2016
That is all you need to say to yourself to be free from the bondage of subjective ignorance and perpetual dependency. The words have been used thousands of years before christ by earlier sages and he tapped into it to free himself from the confusion and indoctrinations of his time.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by gj22(m): 9:06am On Oct 23, 2016
Brigham:

The logic is not archaic,if god created me, he must be happy that I'm using my mental faculty which he sew into my being.

Why does an almighty god requires sacrifice to forgive,god must really love meat.

The wisdom of man is foolishness in God's eyes.

Our logic and way of thinking only works or applies to things in our own little bubble. God exists outside our bubble. He is almighty.

Philosophy will tell you that something cannot be and at the same time not be. But we know that God is, was and will be. He is eternal.

You first have to accept the Supreme nature of the creator before you can understand what I am trying to say.

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by MrDojo(m): 9:09am On Oct 23, 2016
Good day everyone...this is off topic but I wanted to ask if what is said in Matthew 24:35 can be taken literally

"Heaven and Earth shall pass way, but my word shall not pass away."

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by nmreports: 9:10am On Oct 23, 2016
madjnr:
GOD Almighty in Exodus 3 Spoke to Moses in Hebrew, while Jesus in John 8:58, spoke it in Aramaic, and the original Aramaic is lost. All what he have today is a Greek translation for the original.
The "I AM" in John 8:58 is a desperate mistranslation, because even if we take it to be right, it still doesn't say "I am what I am" .
If Jesus truly wanted to say "I AM" in reference to Exodus 3, then he should've said before Adam or humanity I AM WHAT I AM ; not Abraham.

Well.... Oh well.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by greatjoey: 9:10am On Oct 23, 2016
tintingz:
It's obvious the former is still referring to the latter in same context. Something like "God has sent me unto you"

he LORD said to Moses, “I am the LORD; tell Pharaoh king of Egypt all that I say to you.”(Exodus 6:29)

It has been concluded.

As for John: " Before Abraham I am" to clear it " before Abraham God"? That didn't flow.

Even Jehovah witness(your fellow christians) don't support it, they know it was misinterpreted by some Christians.

There are many verses Jesus denied being God.

The writter of John as really done good job to portray Jesus as God.

It is that same book of John that the Muslims extracted a verse and misinterpreted it to mean that the coming of Mohammed was foretold in the bible. Here you are arguing the authenticity of the book of John which you so give credence to in order to support the divinity of your religion. How do you reconcile these?

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by sarutobie(m): 9:10am On Oct 23, 2016
melejo:
Seun, Lalasticlala and every other mode well done ehn. When it touches the basic doctrine of Christianity you guys will make it open. Anyone will be allowed to contribute unhindered. But whenit has to do with the religion of peace, then everyone that must comment must first accept Allah as the only true god and Mohammed last and greatest prophet. Whatever you guys are trying to achieve let me tell you that those who for centuries were terribly against Christianity using all means have passed on and Christianity remains. Why must Christianitybe subject to open discussion while Islam is not. Your guess is as good as mine, they are religion of p.........
seun and his godless mods are quick to push heretic topics against Christians to the front-page every Sunday morning to ridicule Christians, but they think such antics will deter Christians.. lol worse have been done for over a thousand years and yet the word of God stands true..
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by tintingz(m): 9:10am On Oct 23, 2016
Omooba77:

Holy Spirit has never been left out, 1John 5:7, John 14, John 17. Genesis 1:1-3
Am not saying the bible never mentioned holy spirit.

When I say the holy spirit was left out means, Where is the holy spirit message? Why is Jesus always refer his message from God only? and what is the Christian concept of holy spirit?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Nobody: 9:17am On Oct 23, 2016
melejo:
Where did you get the word 'self-defeaing'? Obviously you don't know the meaning.
Self defeating meanings futile.

Mutatis mutandis it'll make sense to you.

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Hdz4luv: 9:17am On Oct 23, 2016
Splinz:
Certainly yes, Jesus did declared Himself God, and indeed He is!

Here is the unmistakably prove of it: "God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'" (Exodus 3:14). Also, this is another solid prove that Jesus Christ is the God of the Old Testament.
guy ur mistaken did jesus said I AM GOD WORSHIP ME In d bible. Period

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Catholic Church Cautions El-Rufai Over Religious Bill / #whatif: Daddy Freez Is Correct About Tithe? / Why You Shouldn't Rejoice When A Wicked Man Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.