Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,858 members, 7,806,430 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her (18228 Views)

Femi Fani-Kayode Curses Sowore, Sahara Reporters Over Reports About His Marriage / Diezani Alison-Madueke's Lagos Properties In Pictures - EFCC / Diezani's Alison-Madueke's Banana Island Edifice Seized By FG (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by Ahmadgani(m): 6:31am On Oct 19, 2016
When an American journalist and author, Anya Schiffrin, was working on her book, Global Muckraking: 100 Years of Investigative Journalism From Around the World, she thought it was expedient for her to exclude from it an investigative series from Nigeria on alleged corrupt practices of the then petroleum minister in the country, Diezani Alison-Madueke.

The book, published in 2014, showcases the outstanding works of investigative journalists in different parts of the world. The series on Mrs.
Allison-Madueke was published in 2011 by the rested NEXT newspaper. They were republished last year on PREMIUM TIMES, with permission from NEXT.
Today, Mrs. Schiffrin, who is also a journalism professor at Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs, expresses regret for her decision on Mrs. Allison-Madueke, who remains one of the most controversial public officers in Nigeria, since she left office more than a year ago.
Mrs. Schiffrin, 54, said she took the decision because the then minister threatened her with a lawsuit.

“(We) got a series by a terrific, highly respected Nigerian journalist named Musikilu Mojeed saying that a government official, Alison Madueke, was corrupt,” Mrs. Schiffrin said in an interview with Guernica magazine, last year.

“I Googled (Madueke) and found an article by a British journalist saying that she was working to clean up corruption. So I contacted him and asked, ‘Do you realize that this extremely well-respected Nigerian journalist said (Madueke) is corrupt?’ The British journalist was not at all defensive and said, ‘I’ll get back to you.’

“In the meantime, I began asking people I knew in Nigeria. I started getting these very guarded and cryptic emails and messages. I think no one wanted to commit themselves in writing, but they said things like, ‘(Mojeed) is really reliable.’ They didn’t say, ‘That woman is corrupt,’ but rather, ‘The newspaper is reliable.’

“Someone I knew also contacted Madueke’s office. But the next thing that happens is I get a letter from her lawyer (asking not to publish these stories) because they are libelous. Meanwhile, the British journalist got back to me and said he did not stand by his original story anymore.

Mrs. Schiffrin said by the time they had a rethink and decided to include the series on Mrs. Allison-Madueke, there wasn’t any more space in the book. It was a tough call for her, she said
“Once I got the lawyer’s letter, of course, I regretted the decision not to include the series even more,” she said.

Mr. Mojeed, who is currently PREMIUM TIMES’ Editor-in-chief, was working with NEXT then, and co-authored the series on Mrs. Allison-Madueke.
The series portrayed Mrs. Allison-Madueke as corruptly enriching herself and her cronies through suspicious, and sometimes secret, multi-million dollars oil deals at the country’s expense.

In one of the reports, the then minister was alleged to have violated Nigerian laws and regulations, and awarded multi-million dollars oil-lifting contracts to ‘briefcase companies’ owned by her U.S-based jeweller, Christopher Aire.

Mrs. Allison-Madueke was arrested late last year in London by the UK National Crimes Agency for offences related to bribery and corruption, but was later released on bail, alongside four other persons arrested with her.

Back home in Nigeria, the former minister has been under investigation by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/213055-alison-madueke-intimidated-drop-reports-alleged-corruption-columbia-professor-anya-schiffrin.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by Wizzyblack3(m): 6:36am On Oct 19, 2016
No Nigeria politician is a saint.

7 Likes

Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by ezechueze(m): 7:17am On Oct 19, 2016
OK
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:19am On Oct 19, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by Flyingngel(m): 7:25am On Oct 19, 2016
Ok

1 Like

Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by Aufbauh(m): 7:26am On Oct 19, 2016
Will Diezani going to be sick through out the 4 years tenure of Buhari?

I think we should organize national day fasting and prayers for her quick recovery & also do judicial cleansing for our top judges before she face the inevitable..

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by DaudaAbu(m): 7:42am On Oct 19, 2016
Your book for sale wella for this change era
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by SpitsOnYoruba: 7:56am On Oct 19, 2016
Vvv
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by Brendaniel: 7:57am On Oct 19, 2016
Again
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by ThumbzTNA(m): 7:57am On Oct 19, 2016
Dear Colombian lady, You have drug lords, we have politicians

3 Likes

Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by Moreoffaith(m): 7:58am On Oct 19, 2016
God almighty.
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by kstix(m): 7:58am On Oct 19, 2016
very unfortunate indeed... and what is more unfortunate is that GeJ let this happen under his watch..(not that i trust this administration again either) i just want a total overhaul of democracy... our biggest flaw. epistocracy stands a better chance with drastically reduced cost of governance

9 Likes

Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by SuperBlack: 7:58am On Oct 19, 2016
Ok. Good morning Nairalanders.
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by farouk2much(m): 7:59am On Oct 19, 2016
Bring back our curroption
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by infogenius(m): 8:00am On Oct 19, 2016
Well you wouldn't have done otherwise unless you could prove beyond doubts that she was really corrupt.
You made the right decisions then maybe now you know better.
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by orlarbissy(f): 8:00am On Oct 19, 2016
shocked shocked Modueke again
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by iammdshola(m): 8:04am On Oct 19, 2016
noted
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by kcnwaigbo: 8:06am On Oct 19, 2016
This fool had no evidence to back up her libellous claims and thus had to back out!!! a bloody coward she is

5 Likes

Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by koladebrainiac(m): 8:06am On Oct 19, 2016
Its an obvious truth
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by Nobody: 8:07am On Oct 19, 2016
Ayam not understanding....
Ahmadgani:
there wasn’t any more space in the book
...as in paper finish or what

So you see Nigeria dying and you say book is full? Why not make part 2 since you have a lot of material and subtitle it "Nigeria in focus"

[size=16pt]Madam, permit me to say that you just joined Wailers club, Columbia coven.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by GodwinTobi(m): 8:07am On Oct 19, 2016
The beautiful face and eyes of corruption in Nigeria by Diezani Madueke..... Available now..
I used to crush on this woman....

2 Likes

Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by rusher14: 8:07am On Oct 19, 2016
farouk2much:
Bring back our curroption
I think it should be "bring back our education."

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by kcnwaigbo: 8:07am On Oct 19, 2016
Aufbauh:
Will Diezani going to be sick through out the 4 years tenure of Buhari?

I think we should organize national day fasting and prayers for her quick recovery & also do judicial cleansing for our top judges before she face the inevitable..

Diezani is in the UK.Remember that was where Alamieyesigha and Ibori were jailed.If the FG has any evidence against her she would have longed been in jail.Obviously Buhari can not intimidate the UK jurists hence she is still walking free

1 Like

Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by kstix(m): 8:09am On Oct 19, 2016
rusher14:
I think it should be "bring back our education."
lol... u're mean. i think so too.

3 Likes

Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by soberdrunk(m): 8:12am On Oct 19, 2016
Where are all those screaming "witch hunt" You all should come out oooooo!!! Come defend "Saint Allison" grin grin
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by NewDirectionn(m): 8:15am On Oct 19, 2016
We all know she's corrupt but wetin concern Columbian prof with Nigeria issue
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by soberdrunk(m): 8:15am On Oct 19, 2016
Wizzyblack3:
No Nigeria politician is a saint.

Alison is not a "Politician", she was "appointed" not "elected" or did you vote for her? angry

4 Likes

Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by focus7: 8:22am On Oct 19, 2016
The memory of Madueke and others like her is the proof that Jonathan was a curse for Nigeria, a punishment to Nigeria for our unrepentant sins.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by Orikinla(m): 8:33am On Oct 19, 2016
koladebrainiac:
Its an obvious truth

It is an Inconvenient Truth. grin
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by fendorf(m): 8:35am On Oct 19, 2016
Ok
Re: Schiffrin: Alison-Madueke Intimidated Me To Drop Corruption Reports About Her by Orikinla(m): 8:42am On Oct 19, 2016
NewDirectionn:
We all know she's corrupt but wetin concern Columbian prof with Nigeria issue
Plenty.

Corruption in the oil industry in Nigeria is part of the Togo Triangle of illegal export of stolen crude, import of arms and drug trafficking to and fro by pirates from West Africa to the Americas and Asia and Europe. From Colombia, the drugs enter the US.
Stolen crude is bought with US$ dollars, arms and drugs.

Read "The Ghosts of the Niger Delta" by a Nigerian journalist and foreign writer.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hassan Bako Dumps APC, Defects To PDP / ​Ossiomo Power Plant Begins 24-Hour Power Supply To Facilities In Edo State / More Pics From APC Presidential Town Hall Meeting On Mining & Security In Lafia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.