Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,033 members, 7,807,064 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic (3193 Views)

How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija / A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw / Lagos Economy Bigger Than Kenya And Cote D Ivoire, Now Oil Has Come!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic by DaudaAbu(m): 10:13pm On Oct 19, 2016
Yay
Re: Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic by Orikinla(m): 7:28am On Oct 20, 2016
SuperS1Panther:
Who God has blessed, no man can curse.

Osus, Ojukwus, Ugandan Developers and Relatives of Netanyahu can only hate and be envious, their settlements will always be at par with Mogadishu.

They can still catch up if they use the templates of Lagos and Dubai.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic by mandarin: 7:48am On Oct 20, 2016
24SEVEN:

So technically, Nigeria is impeding on Lagos growth. cheesy cheesy

I dont know why i do not believe this report. I think the analyst failed to observe that Nigeria has literally put almost all her eggs in one basket, and that basket is Lagos.

Lagos did not achieve its position without help from the FG. Its huge infrastructures were invested on it by the FG over a period of 30yrs and some govt policies have favoured her especially.

Granted, Lagos proximity to the atlantic ocean has set it apart from Abj(another city with huge federal investment) but Lagos has no known natural resource and doesn't have the landmass for industrial agriculture or animal husbandry. Lagos only has proximity to the ocean, something half a dozen other states have.

The writer failed to realise that Nigerias skewed system of governance cannot carry-on for long and when this system collapses and eventually gives way to true fiscal federalism, some monopolies and special treatment enjoyed by Lagos will cease and wealth will be more evenly distributed amongs the states who are currently being deprived by the unfortunate situation we find ourselves.

Instead of actually rising, there may just be a decline in the growth forecasts of Lagos. Any growth forcast done when the correct system is in place can actually be considered to be real. Else, every forecast is lopsided, and therefore unsustainable.

I feel you didn't do your critical assessment on economic terms. Businesses follow opportunities and that's what Lagos gives you. The metropolitan population is awesome and Lagos headstart advantage will continue to give it an advantage whether Nigeria resort to fiscal federalism which will make Lagos income run into trillions of naira or regionalism which will sustain her huge population.
That Los Angeles grew in the West of USA never upturned New York remember, Lagos will keep evolving

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic by Omololu007(m): 9:30am On Oct 20, 2016
mandarin:

I feel you didn't do your critical assessment on economic terms. Businesses follow opportunities and that's what Lagos gives you. The metropolitan population is awesome and Lagos headstart advantage will continue to give it an advantage whether Nigeria resort to fiscal federalism which will make Lagos income run into trillions of naira or regionalism which will sustain her huge population.
That Los Angeles grew in the West of USA never upturned New York remember, Lagos will keep evolving
they love talking about lagos been favoured....what about ogun state then,with oil ogun is generating more revenue than most of the southern state,and is more industrialise than 95% of the southern state

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic by Orikinla(m): 12:59pm On Oct 20, 2016
Omololu007:
they love talking about lagos been favoured....what about ogun state then,with oil ogun is generating more revenue than most of the southern state,and is more industrialise than 95% of the southern state
You forget Rivers State with the biggest LNG company in Africa and if there is a seaport in Port Harcourt, Rivers can become industrlized.
Re: Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic by Blue3k(m): 1:58pm On Oct 20, 2016
Orikinla:

You forget Rivers State with the biggest LNG company in Africa and if there is a seaport in Port Harcourt, Rivers can become industrlized.

Every state has that potential. There's nothing magical about lagos. If the same formula is followed with infastrure, rule of law and ease of business. Every state will do crazy numbers.

Rivers already has 2nd IGR and economy. There's plenty of potential in if steps are taken by our state govrnments to attract investment with business friendly atmosphere. Industrialization is our future, mechanicized farming and services are future economicly.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic by Orikinla(m): 4:11pm On Oct 20, 2016
Blue3k:

Every state has that potential. There's nothing magical about lagos. If the same formula is followed with infastrure, rule of law and ease of business. Every state will do crazy numbers.

Rivers already has 2nd IGR and economy. There's plenty of potential in if steps are taken by our state govrnments to attract investment with business friendly atmosphere. Industrialization is our future, mechanicized farming and services are future economicly.

But the governor is not a visionary.
To me, he acts more like he is running a local government.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic by 989900D: 4:51pm On Oct 20, 2016
Blue3k:

I agree with everything else, but the 'spirit' of Lagos is magical.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic by asorocker: 5:26pm On Oct 20, 2016
the only way this can happen is if Nigeria contnues to be a land locked country with only one maritime gateway
Re: Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic by Orikinla(m): 6:03pm On Oct 20, 2016
asorocker:
the only way this can happen is if Nigeria contnues to be a land locked country with only one maritime gateway

Nothing stops Rivers State, Cross River State and Bayelsa State from building seaports.
But as I said the state governors think they are running local governments.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic by Blue3k(m): 6:18pm On Oct 20, 2016
989900D:

I agree with everything else, but the 'spirit' of Lagos is magical.

I agree Lagos has a spirit. When your outside you don't want the lifestyle but ounce your there you never want to leave. My mom told me about it.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic by chibuzorAbia: 6:56pm On Oct 20, 2016
Lagos wey we don buy finish!
Re: Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic by Omololu007(m): 7:52pm On Oct 20, 2016
Orikinla:

is there a port in ogun?
Re: Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic by Blue3k(m): 8:06pm On Oct 20, 2016
Omololu007:
is there a port in ogun?

I don't think so.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Real Condition Of Bad Roads In Anambra State(am In Tears!) / Ekiti Breaking News Obasanjo Lands / A Little Political Throwback. PDP The Party That Loves To Marginalize.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.