Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

The River - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The River (38018 Views)

Romance On The River - Book Review / Cries From The River “nun” Poem, Dedicated To Gabriel Imomotimi Okara / Murica: My River Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The River by elskillful: 10:34am On Nov 24, 2016
Money must be made whatever way.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 11:10am On Nov 24, 2016
cc jagugu88l1, girlhaley, elskillful, Adesina12, prinxxdave, mozb

Chapter 9

Fred Bennet looked up as Terry Elgin sauntered over to the meeting table in the far corner of the office floor where he was sitting with two other members of the team.

‘Did you know we were getting a new person?’ Fred asked.

‘No, but we have been telling Devine we need extra resources’ sitting down opposite Fred.

‘How long do you think she will last in there, then’ Elgin said, nodding towards the room the newbie had been given.

‘The longest any one has lasted in that room was one and a half days’ Bennet replied.

‘Well that was my record. But I did try; I would have tried to stay longer if I knew there was a sweepstake going on’ Terry said.

‘I doubt that, your last day in there, you were as white as a sheet’ Bennet smirked.

‘What’s in the pot so far?’ as Elgin tried to look into the office.

‘I really do not know why that part of the office has not been blocked off’ Andy Brown said as he walked over to the table, the local DC who came in twice a week to go over reports with the rest of the team.

‘I thought you guys were not going to put anyone in there anymore?’ Andy continued.

‘The official line Andy, is that there is nothing wrong with that room’ Bennet responded.

‘When I went in there earlier she still looked quite chirpy, all her things were still on the table’ Bennet said.

Jenkins, who had been studying a report while the banter had been going on, looked up.
‘You guys were just imagining things. There is a rational explanation’. Jenkins remarked,

That is what he had told himself when the strange things had happened to him in the office under debate.

‘We should get Health and Safety to do an assessment, well that is if they can survive the onslaught’ Andy said.

‘But they did survive it, Andy’ Fred responded.

‘Nothing happened to them, which is why I’m inclined to take on board what Debra said, that room has problems with Police officers. The room does not like Police officers’ Fred continued.

‘Well here’s a fiver, she will not last more than a day, before she asks to be moved from there’ Elgin said as he took out a five pound note from his wallet.

‘By the way, anyone knows where she was before she came down here’ putting his wallet back in his pocket.

‘I wanted to ask, when I went to drop those files, but once I noticed how cold it was in there, I wanted to get out of there pretty damn quick’. Bennet said.

‘How come Devine did not tell us we were getting a new team member’ Fred moaned.

‘Exactly, replied Elgin. ‘Especially as he interviewed Pat only last week’

The other two shrugged, equally baffled about the lack of communication.

‘It would have been nice to have been told’ Fred grumbled.

‘It always starts with the cold. One thing I can tell you though, she sounds more like Chelsea than Towie’

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The River by Winters22: 12:11pm On Nov 24, 2016
tongue[color=][/color]i wanted to do something like this... Maybe later...
I dey ur side....
Re: The River by Prinxxdave: 2:30pm On Nov 24, 2016
Am loving dis
Re: The River by girlhaley(f): 8:22pm On Nov 24, 2016
A young girl......this people don't just fear God

Tj asking for justice.......

People can gossip o......I thought its for females o......

Who won't be frightened...seeing a ghost ..... but i hope Eliora won't be scared.....poor thing....*sad*

May d evil deeds of Baba and Edward be revealed soon

Lucifer's children

Ma'am Lleigh......I'm short of words

More oil to ur soup tho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Adesina12: 9:11pm On Nov 24, 2016
Hummmm!!!!
Rituals in Western world!!!
Following

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by MozB: 12:55am On Nov 25, 2016
i have so many silly questions shaa... Plenty. Very plenty.

1). Lleigh what is baba doing in a western setting? Lol

2). Are u a Nigerian? if 'yes', have u settled in the western part of the world before? Cos this work is purely fictional, that means u must have been there or currently there to have those pictures on your mind.

Those are my very plenty questions o.
Re: The River by Creeza(m): 1:31am On Nov 25, 2016
Every race has voodoo and witch doctors.. just because she said baba doesn't mean there arent any abroad.. They are called witch doctors.. I can recount movies av seen a few of these voodoo sacrifices

Nice update Lleigz

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Nobody: 4:06am On Nov 25, 2016
I know that "The black witch" resides in California, just don't know her exact location. She is actually white but prefers wearing black length clothes. Witch-Kidnapped 8 kids and driven out of the "white community"

Buccaneer was played on international television, a reality documentary by Princeton College Masters Degree students. An old research documentary about a supposed "myth" that one forest swallows anyone who circles a certain river thrice. Cut shot because one if them disappeared "mysteriously". White community

I know that the word VOODOO is western and it means the same thing as witch doctor.

I have stepped on all corners of this planet. Witchcraft exist, its the degree I'm not sure of.

The most devastating is when sane people believe that bad luck is a curse, not getting the desired job is man made work, death is solely related to witchcraft etc etc. We have bad days, we have better days

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Nobody: 8:54am On Nov 25, 2016
An exquisitely put work of art tainted with the ever alluring touch of horror........
The demonic has always been very thrilling to expose!!!!!! Lleigh from one writer to another.........your work is as valid as they come
Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 9:04am On Nov 25, 2016
MozB:
i have so many silly questions shaa... Plenty. Very plenty.

1). Lleigh what is baba doing in a western setting? Lol

2). Are u a Nigerian? if 'yes', have u settled in the western part of the world before? Cos this work is purely fictional, that means u must have been there or currently there to have those pictures on your mind.

Those are my very plenty questions o.

Mozb I hope you stay with me till the end of this story. Keep a note of those questions and I will answer them.
Let's go

They are not silly questions

But thank you for asking these questions

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by MozB: 9:37am On Nov 25, 2016
Lleigh:

Mozb I hope you stay with me till the end of this story.
am following ma

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Adesina12: 8:15am On Nov 28, 2016
jagugu88li:
I know that "The black witch" resides in California, just don't know her exact location. She is actually white but prefers wearing black length clothes. Witch-Kidnapped 8 kids and driven out of the "white community"

Buccaneer was played on international television, a reality documentary by Princeton College Masters Degree students. An old research documentary about a supposed "myth" that one forest swallows anyone who circles a certain river thrice. Cut shot because one if them disappeared "mysteriously". White community

I know that the word VOODOO is western and it means the same thing as witch doctor.

I have stepped on all corners of this planet. Witchcraft exist, its the degree I'm not sure of.

The most devastating is when sane people believe that bad luck is a curse, not getting the desired job is man made work, death is solely related to witchcraft etc etc. We have bad days, we have better days

Wow!!!
I really love your sense of reasoning and blf in your submissions to some extent
Though it depends on individual upbringings and association, show me your friend and I will tell you whom you are!
The witchcraft thing is everywhere name it African and in all the continents of this globe
Prayer is the solution

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by girlhaley(f): 9:34am On Nov 28, 2016
Lleigh.... embarassed

Come and update nw.....Don't leave us hanging na

Ayam waiting o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by MozB: 11:34am On Nov 29, 2016
Lleigh we are waiting impatiently o... Please come and update oo.. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 7:35pm On Nov 29, 2016
MozB:
Lleigh we are waiting impatiently o... Please come and update oo.. Thanks

Mozb working on it at the moment. ..

Thanks for the patience

1 Like

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 11:31pm On Nov 29, 2016
Chapter 10

cc Creeza, Mozb, girlhaley

Eliora sat in her office trying to concentrate on the current file she was reading regarding a missing dentist, but her thoughts kept straying back to her encounter with the boy she had seen in her office, two days before.

She had read his file; it had been a difficult one to digest. But she had earmarked his as the next file she would review, in the meantime she had asked for another DNA test.

It was part of the protocols set up by the cold case team, periodic DNA tests on the remains to check against new additions that might have been added to the database.

She had read so many files in the last two days she had been at the Cold Case Unit; it was like she knew most of the victims personally.
The rest of the team were not very welcoming, she had picked up on the vibe that someone else had been lined up for the job and she had turned up instead.

She had promised herself she would stick it out, and endeavour to keep a low profile. The job wasn’t too demanding and it was low profile enough for her to remain anonymous.

That morning she decided to follow up on some questions on one of the cases she was currently reviewing.

Shaznay had been missing for the past three years, she had left home after work to see her family and had never returned. She had not arrived at her parents place either.

She had been reported missing after her house mate Sandra Brown, had called her parents house to find out if she was ok, when she did not come back to the flat they shared, on the Sunday night in question.

The parents the father a doctor, the mother a housewife and a brother who was a Customs officer had all been questioned extensively by the police, but they had not been able to move the case forward, they all had iron tight alibis.

All the review notes in the case file testified to this fact. There had been no friction in the family.

Shaznay had worked in a local dental practice hoping to use the experience as a springboard to open her own dental surgery in the future. She had been a confident and highly intelligent young woman. Her mother had called the station every week in the initial stages of the enquiry just to make sure they were still looking for her daughter.

She had not taken her car which had been left in front of the house she shared with her old school friend, which in itself was not unusual as Shaznay often took the train to her parent’s house.

Eliora decided to go and visit Sandra Brown in Tonbridge, she had called the day before and luckily Sandra had said she would be on a late shift at the hospital where she worked.

Eliora had decided to drive to Tonbridge; it was on the other side of the county and was not the most straightforward place to get to by train. It was notorious for traffic though, if she remembered correctly, as she encountered her first delay, while fiddling with the radio to find a decent music station. The traffic eased and she managed to make it in 90 minutes, with five minutes to spare for her appointment.

The house a pretty cottage was set away from the houses towards the end of Fork Road Village, which was made up of a village hall, a shop and most probably one of the few red telephone boxes in this part of Kent.

She parked her car a few feet away from the front door. Locked the car and walked up the path to the front door. She knocked on the door and studied the surroundings, the front garden looked very well tended, not a weed in sight. Sandra must either be a keen gardener or she had someone who came in and did it for her.

She recalled from her notes that Sandra was an A and E Doctor, from her experience, shifts did not follow regular patterns in that line of work.

She was about to knock the door again, when a feeling of light headedness overwhelmed her.

That’s when she noticed someone standing next to her. It had to be Shaznay, she had shoulder length black hair with an Asian complexion. She was very pretty around 5.5 and she was dressed in jeans and a green jumper. She was holding some kind gardening tool in her hand; she smiled at Eliora before passing through the door.

Why was this happening to her now, Eliora thought to herself, as she rang the bell and worked on getting her heart beat back to normal while waiting for Sandra to open the door.

She had hoped to put all that type of stuff behind her; it had got her in enough trouble, it was the main reason she had ended up on the island.

The door was opened a minute later; Sandra was quite tall, 5’10 with brown hair and grey eyes, which still reflected sadness and fatigue. She was dressed in jeans, a blue jumper, with pink socks on her feet.

‘Officer Lucas’ she said holding out her badge.

‘Come on in’ she said, allowing Eliora to pass through into the hallway.

The cottage itself had a nice bright and warm feel to it, the walls were yellow, more like the colour of daffodils the exposed beams added character to the hallway, as Eliora followed Sandra into the bright kitchen.

‘You don’t mind us talking in here, I hope’ as Sandra busied herself clearing up dishes in the sink.

‘No, that’s alright’ as Eliora pulled out her notebook, pencils and a tape recorder, which looked more like a phone than a recording device, from her bag and put them on the table in the kitchen.

The kitchen was painted a light green colour; the walls were adorned with pictures of herbs and vegetables, the window sill had a few herbs and flowers on it soaking up the sunlight. The kitchen window looked out onto the garden, which was in tip top condition.

Eliora had a strong feeling that there was someone else in the room with them, she looked up and saw Shaznay, watching them from a door in the kitchen that Eliora guessed led out into the garden.

‘Would you like a cup of tea, before we begin? I am having one’ Sandra asked Eliora.

‘That would be nice’ Eliora said, dragging her attention back to Sandra.

‘How do you take it?’ Sandra asked..

‘Slightly milky with two tea spoons of sugar please’

Five minutes later they were both sitting at the breakfast table, when Sandra started ‘I don’t know what I can tell you now that’s any different to what I have told the other officers in the past’

‘The file is still open and we are always reviewing cases to see if the passage of time throws up new pieces of information’ Eliora stared intently at Sandra and tried to see if Shaznay was still around.

Sandra stared into her tea for a minute as if trying to decide what to say.

‘It would have been our friendship anniversary today’ trying to smile.

She went on to tell Eliora how they had met in their first year of university.

Eliora watched as Shaznay came over to Sandra and ruffled her hair, like a lover would do, when walking past their loved one.

She gave Eliora a sad smile; she knew that Eliora could see her.

Eliora let Sandra finish talking and asked her what she knew about Shaznay’s family.

‘You’re not going down that route are you? You think it was an honour killing?’

‘We can’t rule it out’ Eliora replied.

Eliora could tell that there was something else Sandra was trying to hide, - I miss her soo much, her touch, her kisses

Moving onto a new page on her notebook, while seeming to write, Eliora debated on how to put her next question to Sandra.

‘You two were lovers weren't you?’ Eliora asked.

Sandra’s teacup fell over, spilling its contents on the table.

She quickly got up to get a tea towel to wipe up the mess.

‘We were flat mates and good friends’ she insisted, her hands shaking.

‘I need you to help me Sandra, if we are to get to the bottom of Shaznay’s disappearance. You can trust me, I will do my best to help bring closure to this case’ Eliora implored.

‘I know, how it feels not to get closure’ the sadness was evident in Eliora’s voice.

Sandra must have heard something in her voice.

That’s when the dam opened and Sandra started talking.

They had been lovers since university and had promised each other to get jobs in the same area once they finished.

Sandra had joined the local hospital and Shaznay had found a job at the local dental practice. Shaznay parents had been asking her when she would settle down and marry but she had always told them she needed to get her experience first then she would think of marrying.

They had wanted to arrange a marriage for her, but she had insisted she had lots of exams coming up in the coming years so they had backed off.

Blowing her nose, ‘the funniest thing is I just have a very strong feeling that she is dead. I see her a lot in my dreams, telling me stuff but when I wake up its all gone’ Sandra said, as she rolled the tissue in her hand.

Shaznay who was now sitting next to Sandra smiled when she heard that.

Sandra stared at Eliora suddenly ‘you have a way of drawing things out of people. The funniest thing is, sometimes I have a strange feeling that she is still around here’

‘We will do our best to find out what happened to her’ Eliora said, looking at Shaznay hoping she might give her some clues as to who her killer was. As it was quite obvious she was dead.

Eliora would have to figure out later why she was suddenly seeing soo many dead people. It was not a gift she wanted right now.

‘I also try to keep her favourite flowers around’ Sandra said, pointing to some flowers in a vase.

‘Did she like gardening?’ Eliora said, staring out to the garden.

‘What made you say that?’

‘I just noticed that the garden had a planned layout to its structure and you don’t seem to have a lot of weeds’ Eliora, quickly replied.

‘Yes, she did, I swear I believe she is here sometimes doing stuff in the garden’.

You must think I’m crazy. I’m sorry’ she quickly added.

‘Not at all’ Eliora replied.

‘Thank you for your time Sandra, I will be in touch if we get any more information’ Eliora said, gathering her stuff into her bag.

‘I have one thing to ask you, please don’t say anything to her parents about ---‘ her voice trailing off.

‘Please call me, if you remember anything else. Here is my card’ Eliora said, getting up ready to leave.

Once she got into her car, Eliora did not start the car immediately, she hoped that Shaznay would take the hint and come out and talk to her.

It worried her that in the space of a few weeks, she had seen and communicated with two dead people. The one person she would have been happy to see had not appeared to her. Other than in the same way Sandra described of dreaming about Shaznay sometimes.

She dreamt of Danny, but by the time she woke up the dream was gone, leaving a dull ache in her heart.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The River by Creeza(m): 11:47pm On Nov 29, 2016
Now she sees dead people like its normal

. Shaznay is a lesbian. No wonder the devil is black ! grin I pity Eliora, seeing dead people is not the best gift one can wish for. Lleigh ,another bomb here. kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 11:58pm On Nov 29, 2016
Creeza:
Now she sees dead people like its normal

. Shaznay is a lesbian. No wonder the devil is black ! grin I pity Eliora, seeing dead people is not the best gift one can wish for. Lleigh ,another bomb here. kiss

Creeza, Thank you for stopping by and reading. Have a wonderful day tomorrow
Re: The River by Creeza(m): 12:13am On Nov 30, 2016
Lleigh:

Creeza, Thank you for stopping by and reading. Have a wonderful day tomorrow
you bet I will. GOODMORNING, BED calls.
Re: The River by Nobody: 4:07am On Nov 30, 2016
Lovely story. It reminds me of the black young boy's torso found in River Thames many years ago. I think the boy was nicknamed Adam and the police thinks he is from Yoruba/Benin decent and was used for rituals.

More grease to your fingers!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by israel90: 6:40am On Nov 30, 2016
Intresting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by folario: 7:52am On Nov 30, 2016
I will be expecting ur reply. thank you
Re: The River by Adesina12: 8:46am On Nov 30, 2016
This is very interesting bae
Let's get going and see what happen next
Still have a bag full of popcorn with cold drinks here 'my slogan' undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by oluangelkay(f): 9:06am On Nov 30, 2016
Prinxxdave:
Am confuse who d fvck is Edward and where is uncle Charles.
Its adding up, Edward is TJs Uncle, and now they need d blood of a young girl to appease their god of money. I really wonder whose child they r going to murder

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Prinxxdave: 9:11am On Nov 30, 2016
[quote author=oluangelkay post=51503946] Its adding up, Edward is TJs Uncle, and now they need d blood of a young girl to appease their god of money. I really wonder whose child they r going to murder[/quote

hmm...................... Bt is Edward still Mr.charles

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Prinxxdave: 9:28am On Nov 30, 2016
Seeing dead people is a gift ooo...................... Jor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by girlhaley(f): 9:31am On Nov 30, 2016
Seeing d dead

Oh no!

That's not a gift to be proud of.......

Why is eliora not freaking out when she saw shanzay

I think shanzay disappearance has to do with baba and Edward

Lleigh.....I doff my cap.....btw.....its my birthday......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by rentalghost(m): 9:39am On Nov 30, 2016
[quote author=Lleigh post=50345784]Copyright @ Lani Leigh 2016
This novel is entirely a work of fiction. The names, characters and incidents portrayed in it are the work of the author’s imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or localities is entirely coincidental.

All rights reserved. No part of this publication maybe reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of Lani Leigh.

Prologue

Mother Teresa, the Mother Superior of Our Lady of Apostles sat back on her chair, staring at the papers lying on her desk. She was hoping for a quiet evening to catch up on the paperwork staring back at her on her desk.

She shifted slightly on her chair, to relieve the pain in her spine, rubbing it gently. A storm was brewing; she could always tell if a storm was coming by the type of aches coming from her bones, especially her back. The pain emanating from the bottom of her spine signified a bad one was brewing. She looked towards the windows; the autumn evening sunlight shining through the ancient glass window was still bright, with just a few clouds on the horizon. Her attention went back to the big open ledger on her desk, no matter how much she tried to juggle the figures, the Convent’s out-goings were more than the donations they received.

Rubbing her throbbing back unconsciously, people were not being as generous with their tithes these days, she thought to herself sighing heavily.

All of a sudden her office door flew open, Sister Mary, one of the novices, came rushing into the office looking agitated, her cheeks bright red with exertion and breathing heavily; some of her hair was out of her veil.
‘Mother, we think – ‘.

A bright bolt of lightning travelled through the stained 18th century windows, throwing the colours in the intricately designed window into sharp relief, for a brief moment. The awe inspiring sight was swiftly shattered by the loud clap of thunder following in its wake, a loud boom echoing through the room cutting off Sister Mary’s sentence and the large grandfather clock in the left corner of the office. They both turned in the dimly lit office and looked towards the window, the early autumn evening sky was now dark grey, the shadows created by the clouds swirling together, brooding, and alive, waiting to dispel the sunny cheerful clouds amongst them. The electrical sparks in the clouds were visible to both of them in the evening sky, sparkling like cheery fairy lights on a Christmas tree.

Mother Teresa started putting the papers on her desk away, as her back throbbed mercilessly with increased intensity, the ache heralding another streak of lightning that was soo bright, its light stabbing through the window, immediately bathing the room in a cocoon of electrical sparkling light. It sought and found a suitable playmate, the metal paper weight Mother Superior used on her table. The paper weight emitted a few strong sparks, shocked into response by the unwanted attention of an ardent suitor.

A clap of thunder soon followed, sounding more ominous, with growling undertones in the boom echoing around the room, moving round each corner of the office, causing Sister Mary to jump in fright.

Sister Mary screamed in fright as she saw the sparks dancing around the paper weight. She had always been scared of storms; the orphanage she had grown up in, had been prone to unusual electrical storms. She blinked twice, trying to decide if what she was seeing was real.

Illuminated by the sparks coming off the paper weight, near the Mother’s table, was what looked like a half human half demon being, the head had two stubby horns, the skin on its face was covered in boil like lumps, the lumps slithered across the torso like snails in a race, it’s eyes glowing red as they stared at her, grinning at her lasciviously, the lower half of his body where human legs would be had the legs of a goat.
The dispersing sparks on the paper weight made the image diminish and vanish.

The image heightened Sister Mary’s sense of foreboding that something unknown was amongst them. The image, coming soo soon after seeing smoke coming out of the room next to this office, she had gone in there and found nothing burning, no fire.

She noticed Mother Superior reaching into the folds of her habit and touching her rosary beads, murmuring as she said a quick prayer.
‘Had she seen the apparition too’, she wondered.

Mother Teresa stood up from her desk, the pain having now moved to her left knee, as she walked gingerly towards Sister Mary. Looking at Sister Mary properly for the first time since she ran into her office a couple of minutes ago, she noticed that Sister Mary eyes were darting frantically round the room looking for something.

Her face looked flushed and worried; her hair was no longer in her hat, some of it falling in soft waves on her shoulders.
‘Sister Mary, what were you trying to tell me earlier on’ staring at her.

‘Your hair needs to be put back into your veil child’

Sister Mary wrung her hands briefly, ‘I think it’s time; the contractions are coming five minutes apart now’.

The unruly curls were pushed back into her veil as quickly as possible. Mother Teresa ran a tight ship; sloppiness at any time was not tolerated, regardless of the circumstances.

A flash of lightning radiated through the sky reflecting briefly through the windows. Another vicious sounding clap of thunder erupted in response to Sister Mary’s comment. The reverberations of the thunder were felt in the old office shaking the pictures along the office wall and slamming one of the chairs into Mother’s 16th Century mahogany desk.

The lights in the office flickered briefly, ready to release a surge of energy, when all of a sudden the flickering stopped and the office was plunged into darkness.

Mother Superior turned to walk back to her desk, but a sharp shooting pain beginning in her back, radiating to the bottom of her left leg stopped her, momentarily, from getting the candle she kept in her drawer.

She was trying to catch her breath through the pain, looking towards the window, wondering what kind of storm was brewing out there, when another bolt of lightning stabbed through the ancient windows, it was breath-taking in its brilliance, lighting up the room like none of the ancient lighting in the office had ever done.

This time the lightning seemingly imbued by a dark malevolent force, pushed the paper weight off Mother Superior’s table, the end point of the charge moving the paperweight around on the floor, forcing itself on the paperweight like an invisible footballer practising his kicking skills.

The two women stood mesmerised by the strange beauty of the dancing paper weight, as the charge gradually dispersed, the image Sister Mary had seen earlier materialised again.

It’s reappearance convincing Sister Mary that the previous sighting had not been a trick due to the dim lighting of the room.
Sister Mary started screaming and crying ‘Hail Mary – ‘

With the sparks still coming off the paper weight, the ladies ran from the office slamming the door behind them, hearing the thunder that followed echoing with that unearthly growling undertone, through the door and the inevitable crash of the flower vase that had been sitting on the mahogany desk.

They scuttled along the corridor, Mother Superior, limping slightly, the sharp pains having receded to a dull ache in her lower spine.

She fitfully glanced out of one of the tall Gothic windows and realised that the lightning was localised to only one part of the building, her part of the building.

Like a mini tornado, its eye was focused on the room next to her office. But unlike a tornado that only knew how to take and destruct all in its wake, it looked like some force was being passed through the lightning into the very room next to her office. The figure she had seen in her office had shaken her to the core of her soul, something was afoot tonight. Evil had paid them a visit.

Thinking back to six months ago, Mother Superior had been reluctant to give refuge to the girl who resided in the room at the centre of this unusual storm. But she had been unable turn away a troubled person in need of refuge, from his house. The anonymous donation the convent had received, coinciding with her appearance at the convent had blinded her to the fact that strange things had been happening in the convent since her arrival. Like the inexplicable rises in temperature, in the room. But these things come to test us, she thought to herself as she stared out into the evening sky, fingering her rosary in the pocket of her habit.

The other parts of the building stood serene as the evening sun created a halo amongst the rooftops with no clouds above them in the evening sky passive observers to the horror unfolding in Mother Teresa’s world.
Mother Teresa quickly made the sign of the cross and said another prayer for the convent, making a rue smile that only she could see. This is certainly different, she thought to herself.

She turned to Sister Mary and said ‘Make the call’
[You got a nice work here but spend less effort in description, readers wants to get to the end before the beginning.]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by boladex1: 11:04am On Nov 30, 2016
Lleigh you are really the bomb. Thanks for the update. Am still watching the characters developed before making a comment
Re: The River by Gabbyraze(m): 1:13pm On Nov 30, 2016
This is one of the most captivating work I have read in this platform,keep up the good work.

1 Like

Re: The River by Creeza(m): 1:26pm On Nov 30, 2016
Another Fp honours. Wow lleigh, your hard work paid off. We gats to celebrate.

My clearance officers thinks am crazy, smilling my face off here like a fool.
grin

Before the yank me out of the line. grin
I Just wantd to say '' congrats bae.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Tears Of A Soldier............ A Military War Story / Love Cycle [pre-destiny] / Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.