Stats: 3,149,797 members, 7,806,203 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

Create Cafe Solely On Linux - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Create Cafe Solely On Linux (993 Views)

Where Can I Learn How To Install Oracle 11g On Linux online tutorial. / Configure Starcomms Usb Modem On Linux / Please How Do I Install And Use Aircrack On Linux (2) (3) (4)

Create Cafe Solely On Linux by elnino3(m): 8:27am On Oct 23, 2009
is it posibble to create a purely cybercafe linux os like ubuntu, have a timer and get every other feature, print sharing, file sharing, i want this because of the speed that linux gives and the fact that my system would not be easily attacked by virus. please advise
Re: Create Cafe Solely On Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:53pm On Oct 23, 2009
Can u develop linux apps? I dunno. D idea has merits. N i guess it will be a very effective way of gettin rid of d daft yahoo wannabe, but d literate 1ce well hmmn.

U hav 2 b at hand always as ur users will probly b very confused immediately dey try anyting outside mozilla until u make em realise its sooo easy.

D idea is making more sense d more i consider it. Ur drawback is still d timer. Try research. I will help u too. U can also go to debian developer sites n request maybe sum1 will help.

R u a current ubuntu user? U can also try d windows variants under wine n see though i cant see d os allowing d app 2 ctrl d system. Bt by all means try. IF DIS GOES ON U WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! Ur costs will be vastly reduced. Maintenance easier.

But u or whoever is 2 be admin has to be linux savvy o! No half baked windows user scenario u see around. Iv had so much fun running rings around some owners in plain sight!

Get back 2 me, lets see hw far dis idea works.

But
Re: Create Cafe Solely On Linux by elnino3(m): 6:16pm On Oct 23, 2009
thanks for the advise i ave bee using ubuntu since 7.0 i can tell u that i like it. i really want it in my cafe cos no matter wat u do this yahoo guys are smart. d yu know i use network software to filter they bypass. i try face to face confrontation and shit happens. i guess the only thing a user goes to a cafe to do is to browse and scan and print. mozila open office or word using wine can do that. the boys working with me are smart. it will take 1 day for them to know and the customers will be satisfied when they know that they cant get virus from my sys. etc. the biller has been bothering my i found the cafe pilot page and they were saying that it runs on linux too, i will try that. n get bacy to yu
once again thanks.
Re: Create Cafe Solely On Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:22pm On Oct 23, 2009
Hey dt marketing pitch abt virus aint exactly on point. They can, bt u wont! If 1 downloads stuff wit a virus, it wont affect u bt they can take it away. Also ur pc will not spread it unless sum1 actively copies d virus! Anyway u will always see d virus as a file n just delete. I do dt 4 folks.

Also 4 added measure get clamav, it isnt neccesary bt 4 wat its worth, its a cafe, antiv prog cant be a bad idea.

If ur really savvy n knw about networking etc, get a firewall, open a port 4 mozilla n pidgin n dts it. No issues eva.

By all means try d timer thing. And pls move dis discussion 2 ubuntu thread unless u dnt intend 2 use ubuntu.

Dose boys had beta be really savvy. N hw will u handle admin ish like psswds? Dey may need 2 do root stuff, yet givin out d psswd aint a gr8 idea cos its a biz.

Get ready 4 hrs of work settin up every console.

BUT MAN GR8 IDEA, SOON EVRY 1 WILL B HUSTLING 2 GET ON DIS 4 CAFE BIZ. I think linux is d next big thing in naija IT anyway.

Keep me posted blow by blow!
Re: Create Cafe Solely On Linux by alwaysng(m): 8:44pm On Oct 23, 2009
linux OS based cafe in Nigeria! well lets see how it goes.
Re: Create Cafe Solely On Linux by mikesleek(m): 9:36pm On Oct 23, 2009
Hi guys, that is real good thinking,  i am really interested in this idea and won't mind to work with you on it, please keep me posted. Can't the timer run on mikrotik? It's Linux and its safe.
Re: Create Cafe Solely On Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:18am On Oct 24, 2009
Neva seen mikrotik b4. Based on wat kernel?

Well wateva u do, pls stick 2 d more user friendly distros, 4 ur customers as well as ur's sake cos wen issues arise u beta be on top of it n not b lookin 4 help!

Dt probly means debian, ubuntu or mint.
Then may i suggest u try getting superubuntu instead of d regular! Just cos its a cafe. It comes wit all d restricted extras n oda stuff. It will save u a lot of time n energy 2 set up
Re: Create Cafe Solely On Linux by elnino3(m): 9:49am On Oct 24, 2009
@4ller
i know about ubuntu and the way it deals with windows virus. all im saying is that if you came clean then go clean and if you came infected well. i want to ask yo what is superubuntu. i intend to use ubuntu al round even though i am using other distros like fedora 10, slax.
Re: Create Cafe Solely On Linux by elnino3(m): 9:54am On Oct 24, 2009
u said i should move this topic to ubuntu forum. does that mean create it again there
Re: Create Cafe Solely On Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:04am On Oct 24, 2009
Nah, i meant d ubuntu thread here in nl. Dt d discussion may continue dere. Its cos dis thread will become redundant later bt dt 1 will continue n it makes it easier 2 search 4 ubuntu answers if they in 1 thread n d linux gurus actually show up there.

Bt now dt u mention it u can also go to ubuntu forums, create a thread n ask abt cafe wares, if any1 knws anytin they will answer.

Ubuntu is a superb choice. Superubuntu is a modified version of ubuntu, modified by adding stuff u generally need like java, sound codecs, etc. D guy who did it has done a lot of ur work setting up d os 4 use already. I just thot maybe ul like dt n it will reduce ur stress.

Google it, it has a site where u can dwnld it, its abt 900mb, its cool.
Re: Create Cafe Solely On Linux by mikesleek(m): 12:12pm On Oct 24, 2009
you could google it. I want to try it on a cafe in Lagos, ill let you know my success or failure.
Re: Create Cafe Solely On Linux by elnino3(m): 12:36pm On Oct 24, 2009
cn i get the disc from you. am not hesistating to try the ubuntu cafe. i didnt want to go to main ubuntu page on nl cos of haters. but i think if i stick wit ya and the faithful few we could make this work.
Re: Create Cafe Solely On Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:04pm On Oct 24, 2009
Nah! I dnt hav a copy. Was waiting 4 9.10. Its due next week. Am sure d guy will have d super version by a week after. Lets see sha. Bt i dnt hav a dvd writer though!

Wat haters? D linux community aint lyk dt as far as i knw!

Keep keepin on sha!
Re: Create Cafe Solely On Linux by elnino3(m): 8:17am On Oct 26, 2009
i am currently downloading the super Os and goglling for some timer. will get to u when am done
Re: Create Cafe Solely On Linux by mikesleek(m): 8:28am On Oct 26, 2009
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-42161.0.html

seems like somebody had solved the timer issue earlier.

SwiftBroadBand Internet Connectivity / Laptop Deos Not On / Microsoft’s Windows 8.1 Operating System Upgrade Available

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50