Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,473 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:06 PM

The Myths Behind Burying The Placenta In Different Cultures - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Myths Behind Burying The Placenta In Different Cultures (5668 Views)

Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? / Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. / The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Myths Behind Burying The Placenta In Different Cultures by Bbsharon(f): 12:46pm On Oct 20, 2016
Different cultures around the world have either a myth, ritual or cultural practices surrounding the disposal of the placenta. Some of these rites are still practiced till these day while some have been stoped.

The placenta is a vascular organ that develops within the uterus during pregnancy. Attached by the umbilical cord to the baby, the placenta discharges shortly after birth; thus, it is often called the afterbirth. Since it is the structure through which the fetus receives nourishment, many cultures consider it rich in nutrients and an extra
ordinary phenomenon.

Among the yorubas the burying of a baby’s placenta is a tradition that is carried out mostly by the father or in his absence by a member of his family or anybody the wife chooses and trust to do it in the absence of her husband.

The Yorubas called it “ibi”, which literally means the world is a vicissitude of the “good, the bad and the ugly" so the baby is the good and the placenta is the bad. So good one which is the baby is taken home, while the bad which is the placenta is burried because it is believed we cannot take something that is bad home. This tradition has been right from time and has been emulated over the years.

In some cases the placenta might refuse to come out so there are traditional ways of forcing it out of the womb. One of the ways according to culture is to put a ladle in a hot water, pour palm oil on it and place it on the tongue of the woman. The heat that is produced from the oil will push out the placenta after she is asked to push. While in a severe case it can be called out of the womb using incantation.

While among the Igbo people of Nigeria, for instance, the mother chooses a place at the foot of a young tree, the more fruitful, the better. The chosen palm tree, banana, breadfruit, or plantain tree will become the child’s tree, and Igbo beliefs hold that it will then give as many fruits as the child has successes throughout his life. It is also a way to bind the child to the earth, and to that special place in his community.

Some other superstitious beliefs are attached to the placenta such as if a dogs digs up the placenta of a child where it is buried such child will become promiscuous for the rest of its life. While some others belief that a baby must not see its own placenta as it is a taboo. Others have attached so much spirituality to it that if your enemy see or knows where one's placenta is being buried he can do evil to it and render the person useless.

How do you dispose the placenta in your own culture or what is your view or belief about such practices ?

http://www.demitalks.com/2016/10/culture-myths-behind-burying-placenta.html?m=1

Lalasticlala Seun mynd44

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: The Myths Behind Burying The Placenta In Different Cultures by Barney11: 12:57pm On Oct 20, 2016
I love traditons

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Myths Behind Burying The Placenta In Different Cultures by Bbsharon(f): 6:52am On Nov 30, 2016
Re: The Myths Behind Burying The Placenta In Different Cultures by yak(m): 12:49am On May 29, 2018
unfortunately, all the African mythologists didn't c this topic. I wish it cld be revived n discussed
Re: The Myths Behind Burying The Placenta In Different Cultures by thunderbabs: 4:30pm On Oct 11, 2018
Just cut it into pieces after rinsing thoroughly and use it to cook green vegetable, with red meat, and offals.

Use swallow such as Semo, poundy, eba, or akpwu to roll it down.

What da heck?

Smx, i tire for Africa. Bury it, itz nt safe, burn it, dey no go gree... Mk husband n wife kuku eat am

1 Like

Re: The Myths Behind Burying The Placenta In Different Cultures by Shegzy8(m): 5:24pm On Oct 11, 2018
Spot on...when I had my son, I was asked to get the placenta...but I didn't know the area much cause I wasn't married to the girl then and it was in another state so I didn't know the area much..the nurses refused to give the placenta to my wife's mother and requested for the baby's father...I went forward to get it then gave it to my mother in-law cause she knows the area more..

Nigerians don't joke with it ooo..

(1) (Reply)

Freeborn And Slave In Yoruba Language / T.d Jakes Is From Igbo Ancestry / Intellectual Discussion: Do Black People Have Lower IQ, Is Eugenics Ethical?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.