Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,164 members, 7,780,156 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:18 AM

Staying Relevant Goes Beyond Good Looks - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Staying Relevant Goes Beyond Good Looks (403 Views)

How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? / Staying Relevant In The 21st Century / Staying Relevant In An Ever Changing World - Opeyemi Komolafe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Staying Relevant Goes Beyond Good Looks by Debwrites(f): 5:26pm On Oct 20, 2016
I remember having this friend back then. Everyone loves her, look up to her, envy her and wish so much to have her life. She’s a rich kid, beautiful and lack nothing- well, from our perspective. She thrives in this life and the way we all make her feel so special. She forgot completely she won’t continue to be the daughter of a rich man but the wife of someone or the mother of that kid or who she has built herself to become.
Recently, I met with her and we had a chat and I was shocked to learn she’s still job hunting after 5years of graduation! What happen to her folks connection? The sad part is that, she’s an A+ picture poster on social media that made us believe she’s living the most comfortable life ever! She even complained of being broke and I wonder what she has been doing with her life for 5 years. Well, I asked and she said she has been living.

Sometimes I don’t get what people mean by living! This is one intelligent, beautiful, smart kid and we all expect so much from but got less.
My point is, sometimes we get so blinded my society love and rating about us that we forget to face reality. With the recent craze and frenzy of social media, so many people I know thrive in the joy of being a social media celebrity (more likes, followers and comments) that they forget social media is just an application and it’s existence is in the hands of its owner.
Whatever we make of our lives now is what people will refer to tomorrow and not what they perceive of us at present. The world is going beyond the ‘ooohs’ and ‘aaaahs’ but about the ‘look at that’ ‘yes, she did that’. Very soon, people will forget the only reason you are celebrated is because you are beautiful but about the lives you have touched and the cause you have affected.
Staying relevant in a society like ours doesn’t only mean looking good. It means being reckon with. There was someone I stumbled on on Instagram and when I check her page, she follows more people than she was being followed. I checked her posts and I was wowed by what I saw. A young girl- I think she was 23 on her last birthday. She has a 9-5 job, she’s an entrepreneur- sells female stuffs online, she’s actively involved in an NGO that belongs to her friend where they support the girl child education, she’s also involved in other charitable work and I was stunned! I had to follow her to learn a thing or two from her.

I wonder why young ladies of today believes being relevant only has to do with looking good, appearing beautiful, garnering comments and likes about how beautiful we are, and living a totally empty life!

No vision!

No purpose!

No worth!

To be honest, this is annoying!!!

Gone are those days when our mothers totally relied on our fathers to be heard, seen or appreciated. These days, women out here work their ass out to be seen. Pick a struggle! Not every body has to have a 9-5 job or be employed. Sometimes, you just have to go extra mile and choose what you love doing and thrive in it.

Stop waiting for another woman’s husband to pay your bills, stop even waiting for your parents to…believe me you can. The age is not even a limit these days. Sometimes I blame myself for not starting out early but then… We have so many yong and successful entrepreneur now. Push yourself, go outside your comfort zone and see you climbing that success ladder with speed and don’t forget to put God first in all you do!

I wish you all the best darlings!

Don’t forget to share if you love this…cheers!

(1) (Reply)

Can Someone Practice LAW In Niigeria And America. / Pension Fund Issues: Do You Know Your Pension Fund Contribution To Date. / Rotary Club International 9110 Partners With Be-innovative To Empower Lives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.