Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" (39879 Views)

Meet Two Sisters Married To Oba Ewuare Of Benin (Photos) / Rolls-Royce Of The Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (Photos) / Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by Nobody: 10:35pm On Oct 20, 2016
Bollywood ko.
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by DozieInc(m): 10:35pm On Oct 20, 2016
proud culture.
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by BALLOSKI: 10:37pm On Oct 20, 2016
Nawa

This Edo people own serious. This oba don suffer . Just to crown d guy, na how many days? Haba!

Why are they always holding his hands?

I'd have loved to be there , but as a stranger, they might want to use one for something...fear Edo people.
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by reeblaze(m): 10:37pm On Oct 20, 2016
slimfresh:
Am I the only one seeing the Bollywood actress MONALISA CHINDA in this picture?.....the first lady from the left.
Guy.....i didn't know that monalisa chinda is in bollywood......
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by lanrei(m): 10:39pm On Oct 20, 2016
Africa is blessed
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by AreaFada2: 10:44pm On Oct 20, 2016
WenysAD:
Pls Edolites here help me understand y d oba is always having something to cover his mouth with as seen in almost all pics of him and dat of his wives? Pls wat does it signify?

Royalty is supposed to maintain neutrality of emotions publicly. Lips, teeth, joy or sadness are not supposed to be seen.

In ancient imperial times, news could be broken that 2000 men have fallen in a battle in such a public gallery. And royals would be expected to show almost no emotion of weakness outwardly.

In ancient times, it also added to the mystic of royalty and the tradition has endured symbolically.

In public gatherings or ceremonies, dukes (junior sons/brothers of Oba ruling other towns outside Benin City) and their wives equally cover their mouths. Such dukes that are now outside current Benin Kingdom like Olu of Warri, Oba of Lagos, many obis, ovies, onojies are now even called Kings. They began as Benin princes ruling as dukes in Benin provinces/territories of the empire.

9 Likes

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by DEIFIED(m): 10:44pm On Oct 20, 2016
I am Proud to be a benin man,. The royal blood runs in me, lamogun mę tue. Oba gha tor kpěre. Iseeeee.

4 Likes

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by Nobody: 10:44pm On Oct 20, 2016
EWUARE THE GREAT

1 Like

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by ibkgab001: 10:52pm On Oct 20, 2016
you mean the one with phone in her belly?
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by AreaFada2: 11:05pm On Oct 20, 2016
BALLOSKI:
Nawa

This Edo people own serious. This oba don suffer . Just to crown d guy, na how many days? Haba!

Why are they always holding his hands?

I'd have loved to be there , but as a stranger, they might want to use one for something
...fear Edo people.

Funny guy. You too fear. grin cheesy

What you may not know is that, Etsako, Yoruba, Igbo, Urhobo, Izon and others have held & hold important positions in Benin.
Including two Ado-Akure men & one prince of Brass as Chief Iyase (non-hereditary traditional prime minister & second in command to Oba) in the last 300 years.
The current Iyase of Benin is of Urhobo heritage. Benin Kingdom as a former empire is not actually a tribal thing. It is more of shared culture, headed by the Oba. Many non-Benin people erroneously see themselves as strangers whereas historically, they cannot be considered strangers.

It would be very funny for an Etsako person to call himself a stranger in Benin. Because Oba Ozolua, in appreciation of Etsako people's immense contribution to defend the empire against Idah people, proclaimed every freeborn Etsako person as a prince & princess of the empire. That proclamation was never repealed. In theory, there's hardly any position in military command or any vacant non-hereditary chieftaincy to which the Oba could not appoint them. He could even specially create new ones for them. They became the Royal Guild of Dental Surgeons (or Osakon) from which Etsako name came. Urhobo/Isoko have a special place too. Ignorance of history is our major problem.

Myths needs to be busted especially in the 21st century that logic prevails.

The holding of hands is an ancient demonstration of support.
Basically saying, the work of obaship is not something to be left to the oba alone. The people are with him.

An ancient Oba once invited all Benin people to symbolically share his obaship.

The Benin morning greeting "Obowie, Obavan, Obota" for good morning/afternoon/evening" came from there. To remind all citizens at any time of the day that they have a stake in his throne.

People often wonder why Benin people have such fierce loyalty towards the King. But it is actually easy to see why. Very many people emigrated from Benin to escape taxes, harsh rules imposed, war conscription, crisis, building an empire, defending it/winning & dying in wars & losing the empire in 1897. Those Benin people that did not emigrate were made of sterner stuff with much loyalty against all odds. They passed that loyalty to their descendants. And many Obas have symbolically shown appreciation to the people for it.

Take for example: the name Edo came from the name of a loyal servant. The servant notified Prince Ogun (later became Ewuare I The Great, ruled 1440-1473) of a betrayal that was almost certain to end his life. The servant was killed by Prince Ogun's enemies for doing so. As King, Ewuare changed name of Benin to Edo to honour the servant.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by oruma19: 11:11pm On Oct 20, 2016
AreaFada2:

Royalty is supposed to maintain neutrality of emotions publicly. Lips, teeth, joy or sadness are not supposed to be seen.

In ancient imperial times, news could be broken that 2000 men have fallen in a battle in such a public gallery. And royals would be expected to show almost no emotion of weakness outwardly.

In ancient times, it also added to the mystic of royalty and the tradition has endured symbolically.

In public gatherings or ceremonies, dukes (junior sons/brothers of Oba ruling other towns outside Benin City) and their wives equally cover their mouths. Such dukes that are now outside current Benin Kingdom like Olu of Warri, Oba of Lagos, many obis, ovies, onojies are now even called Kings. They began as Benin princes ruling as dukes in Benin provinces/territories of the empire.
the first olu of itshekiri prince Iginuwa was a rebellious prince of the benin kingdom who comitted sacrilege and was sort by the oba for execution. He ran away into the benin river area and was helped by the urhobos in present day oghara. He formed the itshekiri kingdom with other disgruntled guys from ilaje and other Yoruba tribes. So this person is right with his comment

1 Like

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by ajaxtea(m): 11:17pm On Oct 20, 2016
Make all of una Nairaland Op change your topic, our Oba is the 40th Oba of Benin, according to ancestral line starting with Oranmiyan as the first Oba of Benin.

Don't quote me to tell me rubbish about the Yoruba having a lineage abi copying their tradition from the Benin (seems that's the trend on Nairaland today). You can consult archives of T.V stations that covered the events live and listen to the Oba himself acknowledge the fact.

Long live the king!
God bless Benin Kingdom!!
God bless Nigeria!!!

3 Likes

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by tiosa50: 11:20pm On Oct 20, 2016
WenysAD:
Pls Edolites here help me understand y d oba is always having something to cover his mouth with as seen in almost all pics of him and dat of his wives? Pls wat does it signify?
This is because by Tradition no one is expected to see the teeth of the Oba
Also the wife of the Oba are not supposed to smile for you
so the use of the handkerchief is to cover their teeth as a sign of royalty

1 Like

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by EzeeYFB(m): 11:23pm On Oct 20, 2016
PapaBrowne:
Proud of my Heritage. Proudly Benin.
We are a super people. We are different. Royalty runs in our blood.
not all of you by the way, and that definitely includes you too.

1 Like

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by onyi060: 11:24pm On Oct 20, 2016
very colourful
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by politicalpastor: 11:27pm On Oct 20, 2016
power900:
nice one, hehe

It will never be well with Who ever put this nonsense here. To demonize our traditional institutions.
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by ahamonyeka(m): 11:35pm On Oct 20, 2016
This one wey oba use handkerchief take close mouth so no be punishment be that ?
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by AreaFada2: 11:38pm On Oct 20, 2016
oruma19:
the first olu of itshekiri prince Iginuwa was a rebellious prince of the benin kingdom who comitted sacrilege and was sort by the oba for execution. He ran away into the benin river area and was helped by the urhobos in present day oghara. He formed the itshekiri kingdom with other disgruntled guys from ilaje and other Yoruba tribes. So this person is right with his comment

Nope.

That is a later version. I guess many more versions yet will surface depending on the political desire of people.

He was Prince Iginuwa, son of Oba Olua (ruled 1473-1480 AD) and grandson of Oba Ewuare I The Great. He was not popular with Benin chiefs. Considered rather discourteous/rude. Knowing he would never be allowed to be King, Oba Olua decided to create a place/position for him, far away from the chiefs who disliked him. He was sent to be Ogiame (Lord of the Seas) with full royal courtiers as a prince of blood. It still happens today, junior sons or brothers of the Oba are made dukes of towns outside Benin. We do not have him as committing such heinous sacrilege & running away. We should know in Benin.

That he met Aboriginal people there is possible of course. But remember that most Urhobo people had just emigrated around 100 years or less earlier from Benin area then. Helping a prince from their place of origin would not be implausible.
Itsekiri are largely a mix of Ijebu, Eastern Yoruba people & mostly Benin Royalty/aristocracy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by fireforfire: 12:03am On Oct 21, 2016
slimfresh:
Am I the only one seeing the Bollywood actress MONALISA CHINDA in this picture?.....the first lady from the left.

Wetin u drink? Abeg go wash ur face make u see clearly.
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by cue64: 12:09am On Oct 21, 2016
Eminiminmi! Egbe ehimwin n' ovbokhan gbe okoyon ghe! ovbi umogun oza! Ovbi adolo n' dol'uwa dol'utomwen! Obanosa ovbi ikpianbo okporu n' gbe oduma Ewuare Ogidigan Ugha To' ugh vbe kpe

2 Likes

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by cue64: 12:13am On Oct 21, 2016
Its a correction that was made known today by the Oba him self b4 now nobody counted oromiyan among the line but it was corrected 2day
ajaxtea:
Make all of una Nairaland Op change your topic, our Oba is the 40th Oba of Benin, according to ancestral line starting with Oranmiyan as the first Oba of Benin.

Don't quote me to tell me rubbish about the Yoruba having a lineage abi copying their tradition from the Benin (seems that's the trend on Nairaland today). You can consult archives of T.V stations that covered the events live and listen to the Oba himself acknowledge the fact.

Long live the king!
God bless Benin Kingdom!!
God bless Nigeria!!!
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by desire19a: 12:46am On Oct 21, 2016
morereb10:
Crowned Prince Eheneden Erediauwa was today being Thursday 20th October, 2016 crowned the 39th Oba of Benin Kingdom at a colourful ceremony and he has chosen a name already. Prince Erediauwa was crowned at about 2 am by the Usama N’ Ihiron also known as the Edion led by Chief Oliha.

The new name of the crowned king is "His Royal Majesty Oba Ewuare II of Benin Kingdom"

"Oba Ewuare ll N'Ogidigan!"
Oba khato okpere Ise!

More photos below.....

http://www.exlinklodge.com/2016/10/colorful-photos-from-oba-of-benin.html

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by Eddy2cute(m): 1:11am On Oct 21, 2016
WenysAD:
its very significant for beni royalties tooth not to be seen
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by Eddy2cute(m): 1:16am On Oct 21, 2016
reeblaze:
Wow..........real colourful nd a lil' bit too traditional
Benin culture can't be a bit too traditional, it is completely and entirely traditional.

1 Like

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by totorimi: 1:50am On Oct 21, 2016
Those pastors from that Benin Kingdom they really try.

2 Likes

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by power900: 2:24am On Oct 21, 2016
politicalpastor:

It will never be well with Who ever put this nonsense here. To demonize our traditional institutions.
hahaha, funny enough i am an edo boy too, but this pics really got me cracking when i saw it so i decide to share it with you guys too, i wonder what the Bleep will people come up with this, no hating people, one love!!!
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by eboigbe22: 3:22am On Oct 21, 2016
Etinosajay:
@morereb10

Are you a bini?

I have to ask because the oba of Benin said with his mouth at about 4-4:30pm that I witnessed that he is the 40th oba of Benin according to the lines of succession.

And you're posting at 7:21pm that he is the 39th.

Is there something I'm missing?

Are you the new kingmaker?

His father Oba Erediawa was 38th Oba Originally making the Edaiken 39th, but on Coronation and after been guided by the gods he decreed that Orimiyan is the first Oba ahead of Eweka the great, thus now making him the 40th Oba on the throne.
Long live the king, so proud of my home town.

2 Likes

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by usibengate(m): 3:39am On Oct 21, 2016
Colourful to behold
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by LorDBolton(m): 3:45am On Oct 21, 2016
AreaFada2:

God go punish those brits sha.

Culture vultures and repressionists our emblem, artworks and traditional stools amongst still dey their private and public museums.
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by Highkingpaul01(m): 5:43am On Oct 21, 2016
Sijo01:
Lovely . . . Oba Ewuare ogidigan II ghato okpere, ise!!!
For saying this, I love you already.
Oba ghato kpere. Iseee.
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by hardbody: 5:48am On Oct 21, 2016
WenysAD:

Mouth odour things.....

Just saying.....

I still fear Edo Jazz oooo

Make una no vezzzz

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife, Ogundamisi, Participating In The Oshoosi Festival (photos) / Beautiful Efik Brides In Their Costume / Ijebuland's Ojude Oba Festival 2015 (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.