Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News (24997 Views)

I Mistakenly Transferred A Glo SME Data To An Airtel Line..can Someone Help?? / If You Have An Iphone Delete Button: Hackers Transferred Money Via Whatsapp / Utterly Mind-boggling Google Tricks You Never Knew About (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by kaboninc(m): 9:03am On Oct 21, 2016
fotune1894:

There is nothing wrong in transferring their profit but d problem was it was done illegally, d profit was made in Nigeria so it's paramount we deduct our tax b4 dey take d reminder anywhere dey want to, mtn laundered d money out of Nigeria to avoid paying tax

Lol. Let's watch and see.
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by loomer: 9:22am On Oct 21, 2016
wristbangle:
If MTN chooses to leave Nigeria, they will be on the loosing side more. Imagine 35percent of their mainstream are in the most populous country in Africa.

Meanwhile these crooks are extremely corrupt due to the crusade of calibres at the helm of power hence giving them the opportunity to practice illegal acts.

Can a Nigerian company if they invest in SouthAfrica do this kind of act?

No deceive yourself. As them dey so, them don leave naija. Na their shadows we dey see.
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by longerthroat(m): 9:27am On Oct 21, 2016
plaetton:
Is MTN not entitled to transfer THEIR profits, their OWN money, to their home country ?

If we don't allow foreign companies to transfer their profits to their home countries, then why exactly would any foreign company be foolish enough to come and invest in our economy ?

MTN electing to transfer their huge accumulated profits over the years is simply a vote of no confidence in the present managers of the Nigerian economy.

I have always said it that this clueless government has been waging a moronic war against CAPITAL, a war that it is surely guaranteed to loose, .. unfortunately, to the detriment of 180m Nigerians.

when will adults stop reasoning from anu.s? every country has its own laws concerning international money transfer. Cristiano Ronaldo was seen with €50,000 heading to Portugal from Spain, and it was seized from him. what is his weekly wage? is it not his money? but it was because he broke the country's money transfer policy. let's start seeing things for on a more sensible angle and stop antagonizing ourselves. Take it or leave it, Nigeria is our country and will remain, if e vex you more, Bro kindly port to Benin republic.

1 Like

Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by mukhcech(m): 9:30am On Oct 21, 2016
plaetton:
Is MTN not entitled to transfer THEIR profits, their OWN money, to their home country ?

If we don't allow foreign companies to transfer their profits to their home countries, then why exactly would any foreign company be foolish enough to come and invest in our economy ?

MTN electing to transfer their huge accumulated profits over the years is simply a vote of no confidence in the present managers of the Nigerian economy.

I have always said it that this clueless government has been waging a moronic war against CAPITAL, a war that it is surely guaranteed to loose, .. unfortunately, to the detriment of 180m Nigerians.

How old are you? Tell me you did not see the word ILLEGALLY

2 Likes

Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by AreaFada2: 9:35am On Oct 21, 2016
plaetton:

I do not trust the way Buhari is managing the economy with is flip-flop policies BUT they are talking about illegal transfer of funds here. Therefore, it is conceivable that adequate taxes may not have been paid in those funds.

Even if the policies are rather moronic in many cases, you still should not defy the rules a host country said you should follow. Instead negotiate with the authorities.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by Next2Bezee(m): 9:36am On Oct 21, 2016
plaetton:

What do you know about Globalization f00l. Do u think that there is any country out there that allows an international organization to take out all its profits?

They force them to leave the majority of it in the country so that the company is forced to reinvest their profit back in the host country.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by middlebelter(m): 9:59am On Oct 21, 2016
plaetton:

People like you should learn to show patriotism sometimes especially if don't fully comprehend the matter being discussed. Read the thread again and you will discover the word "illegal" that implies they transfered some money in contravention of the law. Before a corporate operate in a geopolitical matrix, it is expected to understand the law of the land and abide by it. If the law says you can only repatriate only 40%of your profit and you agree to operate in such clime any breach will attract the appropriate sanctiond and such a firm will be regarded as law breaker just like when individuals breaks the law.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 21, 2016
See what a flatron is posting on nairaland? And he even has the effrontery to himself "yorubastinks" spewing all kinds of nonsense with grammatical errors. Supporting Why mtn should take money out from Nigeria. Well I don't blame you, I blame your forefathers pascal dozie who Helped them achieve such monumental frauds.

1 Like

Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by Snapchat: 10:00am On Oct 21, 2016
kaboninc:

If MTN decides to leave Nigeria, there would be two loosers - MTN and Nigeria but we'll be the greater loser.

ok, u think mtn is Nigeria's source of income. applaudise!!
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 21, 2016
YorubaStinks:
What type of Fuckery is this ??

They're not Nigerian company or affiliated with Nigerian government, Mtn is a south African company, they have the fucking right to transfer any amount of money they want to any country in the world

What do you want them to do ??

Run their business and then deposit all of their money into a Nigerian Bank account ??

Your government fined Mtn 40 billion naira and they paid up
Now, you are looking for another Fuckery to extort money from them

Mtn have done better than the Nigerian government in the history of Nigeria, do you know how many jobs they provide for Nigerians ?? Do you know how much revenue they bring to Nigeria ?? Do you know how much they pay in taxes to the Nigerian government ??

In one sentence, tell me what the Nigerian government have ever done for any Nigerian, dead or alive

Fuckery

See what dis eediot flatiron is posting on nairaland? And he even has the effrontery to himself "yorubastinks" spewing all kinds of nonsense with grammatical errors. Supporting Why mtn should take money out from Nigeria. Well I don't blame you, I blame your forefathers pascal dozie who Helped them achieve such monumental frauds.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by kaboninc(m): 10:08am On Oct 21, 2016
Snapchat:

ok, u think mtn is Nigeria's source of income.

MTN is one of Nigeria's source of income whose activities have a rippling effect in the Nigerian economy - they pay all manner of tax to all tiers of government, creates jobs (directly and indirectly), creates wealth, take on social responsibility initiatives (community, health, social, educational, etc) and ultimately improving our national economic life. So YES, MTN is one of Nigeria's source of income and wealth!

applaudise!!

Thank You!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by kaboninc(m): 10:11am On Oct 21, 2016
nuti:

See what dis eediot flatiron is posting on nairaland? And he even has the effrontery to himself "yorubastinks" spewing all kinds of nonsense with grammatical errors. Supporting Why mtn should take money out from Nigeria. Well I don't blame you, I blame your forefathers pascal dozie who Helped them achieve such monumental frauds.

Should MTN not take their money out of Nigeria?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by wasiudvd(m): 10:11am On Oct 21, 2016
you read without understanding, or you didn't read at all.
the alleged transfer is between 2006 - 2016. how come its a sign of no confidence with administration?
Investor or not, they should transact according to the rules.
plaetton:

1 Like

Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by rusher14: 10:19am On Oct 21, 2016
YorubaStinks:

What type of tax ??
The Nigerian government fined them 30 billion naira and they paid up
Now, you are finding another loophole

Mtn have done better than the Nigerian government in the history of Nigeria, do you know how many jobs they provide for Nigerians ?? Do you know how much revenue they bring to Nigeria ?? Do you know how much they pay in taxes to the Nigerian government ??

In one sentence, tell me what the Nigerian government have ever done for any Nigerian, dead or alive

I'm waiting

Err, they created an atmosphere for telecommunication companies to do business.
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by wazobiaN9(m): 10:21am On Oct 21, 2016
plaetton:

"How deep is your love" a song asks..

In your own case, how shallow is your thinking.. ?!!
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by YorubaStinks: 11:31am On Oct 21, 2016
nuti:
See what a flatron is posting on nairaland? And he even has the effrontery to himself "yorubastinks" spewing all kinds of nonsense with grammatical errors. Supporting Why mtn should take money out from Nigeria. Well I don't blame you, I blame your forefathers pascal dozie who Helped them achieve such monumental frauds.

Grammatical blunders ??

I don't blame you
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by kaboninc(m): 11:51am On Oct 21, 2016
wasiudvd:
you read without understanding, or you didn't read at all.
the alleged transfer is between 2006 - 2016. how come its a sign of no confidence with administration?
Investor or not, they should transact according to the rules.

We are yet to know if they contravened any rule!
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by plaetton: 11:57am On Oct 21, 2016
AreaFada2:

I do not trust the way Buhari is managing the economy with is flip-flop policies BUT they are talking about illegal transfer of funds here. Therefore, it is conceivable that adequate taxes may not have been paid in those funds.

Even if the policies are rather moronic in many cases, you still should not defy the rules a host country said you should follow. Instead negotiate with the authorities.
How many airlines are shutting down or moving out of Nigeria ?
How many companies have moved their operations out of Nigeria over the past year and half ?
Part of the reasons is that aside from not being able to repatriate their profits, the present government actually CHEATS them by mandating them to use unfavourable fixed exchange rates for their businesses.

CAPITAL always looks for safety .
CAPITAL always takes flight when it feels unsafe.

There are no sentiments and no patriotism in CAPITAL.

Even ordinary Nigerian politicians and citizens move their CAPITAL to safety, talkless of a foreign corporation with a fiduciary responsibility to its home shareholders.

Governments all over the world do a lot of things, grant a lot of concessions to woo CAPITAL, not wage a moronic war against CAPITAL.
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by plaetton: 12:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
mukhcech:

How old are you? Tell me you did not see the word ILLEGALLY

That is exactly my point.

MTN's legally earned is money is MTN's money.
MTN has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders to protect and manage its CAPITAL.

Putting restrictions on how a company that employs tens of thousands, generate billions in taxes , should manage its CAPITAL is tantamount to waging a war against CAPITAL.

There should be nothing illegal about an independent company moving its CAPITAL whenever and however they deem fit and in the best interest of their shareholders.
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by rikamann: 12:11pm On Oct 21, 2016
plaetton:

Please ask questions if you don't know than ignorance
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by plaetton: 12:15pm On Oct 21, 2016
007Gbenga:

It seems they were trying to evade tax by declaring lower profits...that's a financial crime.
Better.

If there is evidence of tax evasion, then that is a separate issue that should be easily investigated and appropriately sanctioned.

Otherwise, I just don't see the reason for the brouhaha that a company smuggled its own CAPITAL out of borders. It's a simple Flight to Safety.

Rather than sulking and scapegoating MTN, we should be alarmed at the deteriorating economic conditions and policy flip flops that imperil the free flow of CAPITAL into and within our economy.

1 Like

Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by wasiudvd(m): 12:19pm On Oct 21, 2016
kaboninc:

We are yet to know if they contravened any rule!

Mr Canavaro, defender of the universe.
it is alleged that the transfer is against the rule, investigation has commenced.
why defending him?
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by plaetton: 12:22pm On Oct 21, 2016
kilokeys:

if the govt feels their profit margins are outrageously high , the best they could do for us as citizens is to enforce reduction of tariff, selling a percentage of shares to the public, but not restricting them frm moving their cash... bad belle pple
Thank you jare.

Give them incentives to reinvest in the economy, not bully them by putting counterproductive restrictions on them.

CAPITAL is very very sensitive to body language, the body language of the government and policy makers.

CAPITAL must rush out, by any means possible, when it feels threatened directly or through body language.

The body language, no, the body odour of this present government towards the FREE movement of CAPITAL has been very very odious, to be mild.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by plaetton: 12:27pm On Oct 21, 2016
soletar:

Very unintelligent comment

South African companies e. g MTN , DSTV rob Nigerians blind with their unfair practices. Our past government have colluded with them. Thank God this government is even making an attempt to curtail them. if push comes to shove... MTN would lose more if they have to leave Nigeria

You must be a South African if not be ashamed to call yourself a Nigerian.

imagine defending the exploitation of your country

Yeah.
Think like Buhari.

How is that going so far ?

You wage a war against CAPITAL, you are guaranteed to loose.
No Hail Marys about.

And for the millions of unemployed people on the verge of starvation because there are not enough MTN's and DSTVs to give them stable employment, I suggest you console and feed them plates of your misguided patriotism.
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by plaetton: 12:31pm On Oct 21, 2016
fotune1894:

There is nothing wrong in transferring their profit but d problem was it was done illegally, d profit was made in Nigeria so it's paramount we deduct our tax b4 dey take d reminder anywhere dey want to, mtn laundered d money out of Nigeria to avoid paying tax

Well, if tax or tax evasion is the issue, then that should be properly investigated. And that's easy to figure out and easy to sanction and recover back taxes from their future earnings.
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by plaetton: 12:36pm On Oct 21, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

I guess u don't know that they're laws guiding fund transfer from the country u make your profit...read up the international money transfer laws are cure yourself of this ignorance.... intelligently typing trash

Far Two many halfbrains in this country.
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by plaetton: 12:37pm On Oct 21, 2016
martineinstein:
u appeared to be smart in thinking....but u are a typical example of an educated illiterate
I take that as a badge of honor.
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by plaetton: 12:45pm On Oct 21, 2016
awakeuche:
i may not exactly be Nigeria's strongest advocate, but do you realize how damaging it will be for our economy if investors keep transferring huge profits out of the country without paying tax to government? It simply means the company is robbing Nigerians without giving anything back in return, in lay terms its like an igboman who rents your land for a pittance, makes billions from his business and complains to you of bad economy to avoid rent increase while transferring his billions to develop his own community without impacting in yours first where he makes his billions... This should clearify two points
Let's put things in proper perspective.

If MTN evaded taxes in Nigeria, MTN should be made to dance to the music.
Simple.

If MTN transferred their own earned profits, their OWN CAPITAL out Nigeria for whatever reasons and by whatever means, then rather than sulking with this bad Belle, we should be rightly worried about why CAPITAL feels unsafe and taking flight from Nigeria.

We love blaming and scapegoating so much, that it has become a part of our national psyche.

CAPITAL has no sentiments.
It must take flight, through any means possible, when it feels unsafe.

We don't seem to understand CAPITAL and its dynamics.

The day we do, we might actually begin to properly harness the power of CAPITAL , and with it, build a more prosperous nation.

1 Like

Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by plaetton: 12:50pm On Oct 21, 2016
Ahmeduana:

IS NOT THE TRANSFER OF THE MONEY THAT IS THE PROBLEM, BUT THE TAX THAT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE PAID ON IT.
Thank you.
Very simple.

Tax is the issue.
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by plaetton: 12:54pm On Oct 21, 2016
seunmsg:

Going forward, MTN should be forced to enlist on the Nigerian stock exchange. By so doing, management will be more diffuse and they will have to make more public disclosure of their financial statements. Regulators and interested members of the public will also be able to monitor them more effectively on issues like capital flight.

I do agree with you 100℅ on this.
That should have been part of the original agreement before granting them the license.

Being a publicly traded company in Nigeria would mandate more disclosure and more loyalty to Nigerian shareholders as part of their fiduciary responsibility.
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by verygudbadguy(m): 1:04pm On Oct 21, 2016
kaboninc:

So how does that money relates to MTN

It does. We wanted to procure ammunition with the so called cash in an arms company in SA but it was illegally moved in.

MTN illegally moved money out of Nigeria.

Does it make sense now?
Re: MTN Illegally Transferred 'mind Boggling' Sum Out Of Nigeria- Yahoo News by kenyad: 1:09pm On Oct 21, 2016
Some people in this country are so senseless that they don't know what is right from what is wrong. You guys should push your legislators to move a motion for referendum to be inculcate into the constitution so that you can do the the right thing appropriately. But I'm not surprised because most of you that never wish Nigeria well are not in Nigeria, you are in your second country South Africa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is MTN Network Down In Your Location? / New MTN Recharge Code That Works Now *3551*pin-number# And Send / My Data Gets Exhausted Too Quickly. Gurus In The House Please Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.