Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,333 members, 7,780,873 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:26 AM

Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ (34202 Views)

Photos Of Oil Spillage In Niger Delta Communities / Jonathan Made Mistakes, But Buhari Is A Mistake – Reno Omokri / 'GEJ Made Mistakes But God Knows He Tried' - Reno Omokri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by dre11(m): 9:59am On Oct 21, 2016
Yakubu Gowon, former military head of state of Nigeria, has apologised to Niger Delta communities for the neglect they have suffered in the hands of the successive governments.

Gowon, who was the special guest of honour at the premiere of Oloibiri, a movie about the Niger Delta, urged the government; across all levels, to be humble enough to dialogue with aggrieved people.

“Watching through the movie, I cannot help but feel with the plight of Oloibori and all other oil producing communities and their people in the land. I agree that the movie mirrors a clear manifestation of the collective negligence and failure of leadership in successive governments in our country”, said Gowon.

“Looking back today, I must confess here that the people of Oloibiri have felt badly neglected and of course, they are hurt.

“We must, however, acknowledge as a nation and as a people that along the way, we have made mistakes, clearly Oloibiri community has not been treated fairly, they deserve or sympathy, consideration, and collective resolve to develop this once vibrant community.”

The 82-year-old Plateau indigene also urged the government to seek ways of redressing the wrongs of the past.

“I move as a former head of state to offer the nation’s profound regrets and my personal apology to the good people of Oloibiri with the prayers to the present and future government at all levels in the land to work towards redressing the wrongs of the past to these people.

“I also request the people of Oloibiri to forgive the oversight and mistakes of the government and the corporate government of Nigeria.”

“I have great faith in our youth in the Delta region. The future is yours if you keep it whole, you will be able to build a better country than we would leave to you today. It is up to you to love your country, defend it whether good or bad but try to make it right.

“In the Delta region, do not go on destroying all these facilities that you would need to develop, for God’s sake, stop doing that because you are hurting yourself and you are hurting the nation as a whole.”

The movie premiere, which held on Thursday at the Muson centre,Onikan, had dignitaries like Onyeka Onwenu, Chris Anyaoku, Olu Jacobs and Taiwo Ajai-Lycett, in attendance.

https://www.thecable.ng/gowon-apologises-niger-delta-says-weve-made-mistakes

8 Likes

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by glassjar1: 10:01am On Oct 21, 2016
IT IS TOO LATE .

WE WANT OUR OWN COUNTRY .

209 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by Young03(m): 10:03am On Oct 21, 2016
who is Gowon?

after all the killings
ask God to forgive u, not Niger deltans

116 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by agwom(m): 10:05am On Oct 21, 2016
hmmm

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by yjgm(m): 10:05am On Oct 21, 2016
Young03:
who is Gowon?

after all the killings

I only know of Gowon but definitely not you.

3 Likes

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by Nobody: 10:07am On Oct 21, 2016
Gowon has shown deep contrition. He should spend the rest of his life seeking a better deal for the people of the Niger Delta.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by 7inches: 10:08am On Oct 21, 2016
Abooki !!...No let thunder wire ur Gowonised head

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by gidgiddy: 10:09am On Oct 21, 2016
The war criminal called Gowon is apologising to the Niger Delta when he was the one who single handedly marginalised them by abolishing the Regions and creating states just to enable him and his fellow Northerners get at their Oil wealth

87 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by dEastActivist: 10:10am On Oct 21, 2016
I love how they invited him...

I believe his past is taunting him as I write.

***modified***

Current state of oloibiri.

Meanwhile this is a town which is found in bayelsa state, the inhabitants are mainly farmers and fishermen.
Precept

In as much as Oloibiri town was the 'birthplace' of oil in Nigeria, it is a sight for sore eyes. The place is under-developed, the people are poor peasants, the epidemic rate is off the charts, the unemployment rate is alarming, and their land has suffered deadly blows from oil spills. The oil in Oloibiri has since dried up but there is nothing to show that it was the place where Nigeria's oil breakthrough started. In plain terms, it could be said that the town of Oloibiri was used and 'dumped' after the oil explorers found no more use for it. Interestingly and disappointingly, the Federal Government of Nigeria once promised to build a museum in Oloibiri, but till date, that promise has not been fulfilled.

Wikipedia

I still wonder why some disgruntled ijaw elements will still find a way to emotionally attach their predicament with ipob while the main culprit is cowardly forgiven on a plater of gold even if is certain the media fake apology was politically motivated.

Talk of misplaced priority and outright foolishness from the ijaws...
Another side of getting politically and crude-oily used and dumbed...

43 Likes

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by Delicious22: 10:11am On Oct 21, 2016
Mtchewww, fake apologise.

We don't need it.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 21, 2016
dEastActivist:
I love how they invited him...

I believe his past is taunting him as I write.

And he had to apologise.
They all own oil blocks...All thanks to Niger Delta...As if anyone cares about his apology.

Mitcheew!.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:17am On Oct 21, 2016
Dear Gowon, we the Good people of Ijaw nation and the entire South South people accept your apology. However, we pray that you use your equity to see to correction of these mistakes by successive administrations including GEJ's.

I know that some disgruntled IPOBIANS without any stake to Ijawland or any part of South South will wail as usual to cry more than the bereaved for their own selfish and sinister move (which is DEAD ON ARRIVAL.)

Wail on.. grin

41 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:24am On Oct 21, 2016
[s]
gidgiddy:
The war criminal called Gowon is apologising to the Niger Delta when he was the one who single handedly marginalised them by abolishing the Regions and creating states just to enable him and his fellow Northerners get at their Oil wealth
[/s]

Lols, Gowon did us GREAT FAVOR by creating Rivers (Rivers + Bayelsa) and Cross River (+Akwa Ibom) states.

He didn't do it by fiat, it was product of agitation by OUR PEOPLE, we are PROUD of them.

PS: The Wike you worship only few months back honoured Gowon. grin

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by chizzy8: 10:27am On Oct 21, 2016
for ur mind !!!...lol tongue

guy .. he said niger delta ... .. Igbo is not part of niger delta

go ask ur parents wat those ppl suffered in the hands of the igbos
they will neva b part of us
if u must knw - they don't like been associated wit the igbos - scares of wat happen'd before /during the war
in some specific across the delta - its a taboo to marry an Igbo , or gv out ur daughter to an Igbo
the much acclaimed rivers state - u think we have
go ask ppl around the omoku areas - close to imo state
they wld rather sell their land to an Hausa man or any tribe round the world or even to an animal than to us - the igbos
so pls b guided
yes we want our country, but not the coastal areas ( niger delta )

...I think we been together - will make us great as a country

glassjar1:
IT IS TOO LATE .

7 Likes

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by Aufbauh(m): 10:30am On Oct 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

I know that some disgruntled IPOBIANS without any stake to Ijawland or any part of South South will wail as usual to cry more than the bereaved for their own selfish and sinister move (which is DEAD ON ARRIVAL.)

Wail on.. grin
cheesy

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by gidgiddy: 10:32am On Oct 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
[s][/s]

Lols, Gowon did us GREAT FAVOR by creating Rivers (Rivers + Bayelsa) and Cross River (+Akwa Ibom) states.

He didn't do it by fiat, it was product of agitation by OUR PEOPLE, we are PROUD of them.

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by gidgiddy: 10:33am On Oct 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
[s][/s]

And what have you prople gained from the creation of those states?

State creation was the worst thing to happen in Nigeria and it was started by Gowon

25 Likes

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:38am On Oct 21, 2016
gidgiddy:

And what have you prople gained from the creation of those states?

State creation was the worst thing to happen in Nigeria and it was started by Gowon
Did we complain to you? Midwest (Delta + Edo) was carved out of Western region, EVERYONE has moved on. Some of you guys gotta move on. Our region, our problem... Abi?

Wail on.... grin

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:39am On Oct 21, 2016

3 Likes

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by kennfera(f): 10:40am On Oct 21, 2016
after destroying the region.
Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by Nobody: 10:41am On Oct 21, 2016
history class don start!!

3 Likes

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by WOCKHARDI(m): 10:41am On Oct 21, 2016
Apologize to ND, Set up rehabilitation fund for NE, but the SE that bore the brunt of the civil war, deal with them if they so much as complain. One Nigeria indeed.

7 Likes

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by Vikkie14: 10:42am On Oct 21, 2016
See all these delusioned and deluded kids. Una see pesin wey dey apologise, dey beg, dey ask for forgiveness for dem mistakes and 'wayo wayo, killi killi' wey dem don do far back, una still dey fume for mouth talk say Gowon mouth dey smell. Una don see any Aboki or even past 'leader' wey apologise for mistakes and destruction dem cause before?

If im no apologise, wetin ur DAUDA or DADA wan DO am?

Saying sorry is not a sign of weakness but a sign of maturity that says 'My bad, let's move on'.

9 Likes

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by friendly101: 10:42am On Oct 21, 2016
he just dey wake up?
mtchewww...........
Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by freshness2020: 10:42am On Oct 21, 2016
Na so
Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 21, 2016
Young03:
who is Gowon?

after all the killings

I tire o.

[s]
TonyeBarcanista:
Dear Gowon, we the Good people of Ijaw nation and the entire South South people accept your apology. However, we pray that you use your equity to see to correction of these mistakes by successive administrations including GEJ's.

Wail on.. grin
[/s]

Unstable chameleon as usual speaking from the ten sides of it's malformed mouth

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by MissingBudget: 10:43am On Oct 21, 2016
Yinmu sad
Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by Okeikpu(m): 10:44am On Oct 21, 2016
He knows he has a few days on ds earth
Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by Nobody: 10:46am On Oct 21, 2016
glassjar1:
IT IS TOO LATE .

Why he no go apologize, when he know the number of Oil wells wey only him get for Akpo Fields being run for him by TOTAL.

5 Likes

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by lonelydora: 10:46am On Oct 21, 2016
The evil that Gowon did must live with him.

Nonsense.

To slap Gowon dey hungry me.

11 Likes

Re: Gowon Apologises To Niger Delta Communities, Says ‘we’ve Made Mistakes’ by sammyj: 10:47am On Oct 21, 2016
The natural disaster we Nigerian had are selfish corrupt bad leaders!!! angry shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Appoint Tinubu, Chief Of Staff, Group Tells Buhari / FG Ends Feeding Of Inmates In 2024 / President Buhari Wears Isiagu (Igbo Attire) In Ebonyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.