Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,787 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:36 PM

Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth (75501 Views)

The Reason Why Oba Of Benin Banished Dr Ogiugo. / Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife / Why Oba Of Lagos Snubbed Ooni Of Ife (SEE Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by GurlFriend: 1:39pm On Oct 21, 2016
Yesterday, Oba Ewuare ll N'Ogidigan ascended the revered throne of his ancestors to become the 40th Oba of Benin, succeeding his late father, Omo n’Oba n’Edo Uku Akpolopkolo, Oba Erediauwa.

The photo below of the newly coronated Oba puzzled many people.

Why was the Oba covering his mouth? It was obviously a cultural act but what was the significance? Even his wives covered their mouths.

I did some investigation and found out the following:

The Oba usually covers his mouth because when he talks he is the supreme authority. Whatever he says is final.

People talk on his behalf most of the time and whatever they proclaim becomes the Law with immediate effect.

A friend of mine who is a painter said he did a painting of the old Oba and it was rejected because it depicted him smiling. According to tradition, people are not supposed to see the Oba's teeth so he doesn't smile.

His wives covered their mouths as a sign of submission.

Don't you just love our culture? So rich and varied!

If I have any fact wrong, please clarify.

Oba atokpei, iseeeeeee!!! cheesy

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/10/so-heres-real-reason-new-oba-of-benin.html

61 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by 2know1: 1:42pm On Oct 21, 2016
OK

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by EHMIR(m): 1:47pm On Oct 21, 2016
So because i be oba ahcanor smile

Ok ooo

96 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 21, 2016
As e dey go wink
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by fanwas(m): 3:10pm On Oct 21, 2016
This is educative

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by ryd3(m): 3:25pm On Oct 21, 2016
ohoo...me i think say person mess and na royal swag to cover nose n mouth...i see grin

108 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by harshemeyou: 5:03pm On Oct 21, 2016
hmmm na their rules

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by ibroh22(m): 5:04pm On Oct 21, 2016
that's there culture

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by phranklyn92(m): 5:04pm On Oct 21, 2016
i just like this oba...dont know why undecided

9 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Sunkyphil(m): 5:04pm On Oct 21, 2016
Radarada angry

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Zabilon007(m): 5:04pm On Oct 21, 2016
Africans Sha

7 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by joey150(m): 5:04pm On Oct 21, 2016
Africa should get rid of all these things..where was our so called tradition when the white man took us all as slaves.. These things help set us back many thousand years..that is why most of our big strides in development came when we where under our colonial masters.

We keep dwelling on tradition that adds no tangible meaning or advancement to our society at large.

modified

All of you mentioning me have refused to tell me how most of our traditions have added value to our society.

I dont know of any Oba where i live till they need 7 heads to bury him.. Is this the type of traditions we should hold onto?

Or traditions where we marry out 12 year olds and deny them the right to basic education ?? I can go on and on....

211 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by ouzo1(m): 5:04pm On Oct 21, 2016
Ok..I been feel say na blue boy,him and wives pop wey them the hide am

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by nairagossip: 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
See more photos from the coronation of 39th Oba of Benin:
www.042express.com/2016/10/meet-newly-crowned-39th-oba-of-benin.html
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Zabilon007(m): 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
Africa Sha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by SABA2002(m): 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
cheesy they are arguing among themselves who is going to share the OTHER ROOM with oga this night grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin

10 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by kings09(m): 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
OP nice work
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by slurryeye: 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
You shall want to know everything
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by martineinstein(m): 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
even me wey be edo man no even know sef

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by sekundosekundo: 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
If it's true that no body sees his teeth, he must be in serious bondage.

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by serverconnect(m): 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
hmmm sadhmmm
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Depot(m): 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
so that Edo witches cannot penetrate

6 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by c4tnoelz: 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
Ask dia gods
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by basingstoke: 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
GurlFriend:
Yesterday, Oba Ewuare ll N'Ogidigan ascended the revered throne of his ancestors to become the 40th Oba of Benin, succeeding his late father, Omo n’Oba n’Edo Uku Akpolopkolo, Oba Erediauwa.

The photo below of the newly coronated Oba puzzled many people.

Why was the Oba covering his mouth? It was obviously a cultural act but what was the significance? Even his wives covered their mouths.

I did some investigation and found out the following:

The Oba usually covers his mouth because when he talks he is the supreme authority. Whatever he says is final.

People talk on his behalf most of the time and whatever they proclaim becomes the Law with immediate effect.

A friend of mine who is a painter said he did a painting of the old Oba and it was rejected because it depicted him smiling. According to tradition, people are not supposed to see the Oba's teeth so he doesn't smile.

His wives covered their mouths as a sign of submission.

Don't you just love our culture? So rich and varied!

If I have any fact wrong, please clarify.

Oba atokpei, iseeeeeee!!! cheesy

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/10/so-heres-real-reason-new-oba-of-benin.html
oba gha tor kpe ereeee... Iseeeeeee

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Adekorya: 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
GurlFriend:
People talk on his behalf most of the time and whatever they proclaim becomes the Law with immediate effect
So, anywhere the king waka go now he go dey cover his mouth? By the way of who dey even dey listen to oba these days?

18 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by hamzia(m): 5:06pm On Oct 21, 2016
grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by accountbalance: 5:06pm On Oct 21, 2016
This blogger has sense

4 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by glossy6(f): 5:06pm On Oct 21, 2016
How many heads did they bury the late Oba with?

6 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Nobody: 5:06pm On Oct 21, 2016
What the wives hear are final too undecided
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by tofolo(m): 5:06pm On Oct 21, 2016
Meanwhile somewhere in Benin.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by moshmusth(m): 5:06pm On Oct 21, 2016
oba to pa iya e... iseeee

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Beautiful Hausa /fulani Girls ....( Photos) / Shilekunola Moronke Naomi Leads Praise & Worship At Ooni's Palace In Ile-ife / Is Black Magic Real Or Just Made Up To Scare People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.