Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,186 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . (668 Views)

What Is Atheism? / Is Atheism Gaining Ground? / Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . by SwagPower: 9:25pm On Oct 21, 2016
The debates never end,d retorts n repartee jst get sharper n quicker... If it isn't Winner01 today extolling d virtues of religion or Castigating the atheists as candidates of hell, it'd Hardmirror continously venting on d limitations posed on human intellect by religion...

Whichever side of d divide u stand, bt cogitating with a mind devoid of prejudice n stereotype u'd agree dt both religion an atheism have in their ways made positive impacts on our world...

As much as I hate d idea of indoctrination n brainwashing. I av found myself In my most private moments thinking what rily wld d world b like without d giant lamp dt guides the path of over 7 billion people in d world.. RELIGION

In d posts dt follow I'll try to outline some of the reason y although religion cld b a limitation, the world has benefited greatly frm it.

NB: THIS POST DOESN'T Make ME A RELIGIOUS OR ATHEIST
Re: Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . by SwagPower: 9:32pm On Oct 21, 2016
RELIGION EXTOLS MORALITY

Am of d opinion dt man can still be moral outside d confines of religion.. It however can't be denied. Most people r moral or good only cos some holy book says they shld b. Although most obey out of fear of eternal condemnation, some exist dt genuinely obey cos dey love their creator. We can both agree dt d world is a better place for it. Religion in some cases seem to be d cushion btw our society n straight up anarchy. Most of d world's population derive deir morality frm religion. Remove religion n I fear the delicate balance of morality cld b tipped off. The world will sure b worse for it..

2 Likes

Re: Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . by SwagPower: 9:46pm On Oct 21, 2016
RELIGION APPEALS TO THE HUMANIST IN US

Ginormous us amount of dollars av bn donated and aids worth billions have found their way 2 d most needy in our society. Most sof these av come under d umbrella of religion.
We here of babies being dropped at orphanages, religious people making donations to causes n people they've never met before, all in the hope that they'll be rewarded someday in the afterlife.
Am in no way trying to say Atheist don't donate or do charity. Some of the world's wealthiest n charitable are notable Atheist. However the larger proportion of dis aids come from religion. Remove religion from d picture n I fear the amount of aids will Markedly plummet
Re: Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . by Nobody: 8:15pm On Oct 22, 2016
SwagPower:
RELIGION EXTOLS MORALITY
Am of d opinion dt man can still be moral outside d confines of religion.. It however can't be denied. Most people r moral or good only cos some holy book says they shld b. Although most obey out of fear of eternal condemnation, some exist dt genuinely obey cos dey love their creator. We can both agree dt d world is a better place for it. Religion in some cases seem to be d cushion btw our society n straight up anarchy. Most of d world's population derive deir morality frm religion. Remove religion n I fear the delicate balance of morality cld b tipped off. The world will sure b worse for it..

Your fears about the absence of religion is misplaced, atheism is neither good nor bad it is the default state of all humans before religious indoctrination. Theist as well as atheist have and will do both good and bad to the world. Let me address your fear about the absence of religion.
Religion will not be eliminated anytime soon, but someday it will be drastically reduced, this can only happen at a time when humans will reach an unprecedented level of development, remove the aspect of a God from religion and it is ultimately a way of life. Religion can be replaced with a new way of life, one in which children are taught the values of helping other humans, taught to shun hate and discrimination of any kind, children will be taught morals accepted by society at large. I agree that the role played by religion is great but I believe its vacuum can be filled with something even better. A world in which people do good just for the sake of doing good, and do bad because they are bad and not because their religion pushed them to it. A world less divided and peaceful.
Religion cannot and and should not only be eliminated. it must and will be replaced by something better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . by Touchnot01: 11:26pm On Oct 22, 2016
Lennycool:

Your fears about the absence of religion is misplaced, atheism is neither good nor bad it is the default state of all humans before religious indoctrination.
Religion cannot and and should not only be eliminated. it must and will be replaced by something better.
Atheism is not the default state of humans. Theism is.

Someone once said: "Keep 10 children far away from human civilization and among themselves and let them grow. Sooner, one after the other, they will look up and ask: What else is out there".

The inability of the mind to confine itself is why atheism has not really been given much thought by the world throughout the ages of history. In reality, we mimick our environment by creating artificials, we mimick creation.

If religion is to be replaced by something better, how come no atheist here has ever proposed something better. How come you fight day and night with religionists without proposing something better.

God has to sit back and watch this foolishness. If man was God, even He wont address such foolishness.

3 Likes

Re: Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . by xpmode(m): 12:16am On Oct 23, 2016
Touchnot01:

Someone once said: "Keep 10 children far away from human civilization and among themselves and let them grow. Sooner, one after the other, they will look up and ask: What else is out there".

The inability of the mind to confine itself is why atheism has not really been given much thought by the world throughout the ages of history. In reality, we mimick our environment by creating artificials, we mimick creation.

Good reply

Scientist keep discovering several object in the orbit, what were they looking for
Re: Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . by Nobody: 6:40am On Oct 23, 2016
Touchnot01:

Ahhh but do not tell those 10 kids about a God do not teach them religion, instead provide scientific answers to all their question, satisfy their curiosity and I assure you there will be no need for a God, as ultimately all Gods were created to fill that taste for answers.

[/quote]The inability of the mind to confine itself is why atheism has not really been given much thought by the world throughout the ages of history. In reality, we mimick our environment by creating artificials, we mimick creation.

If religion is to be replaced by something better, how come no atheist here has ever proposed something better. How come you fight day and night with religionists without proposing something better.

God has to sit back and watch this foolishness. If man was God, even He wont address such foolishness.
Stop being afraid, religion will not end anytime soon as I stated, and when it does reach its end, man will be ready to accept a better ideology. I can imagine a system right now(as I've already provided briefly), but I'm sure future humans will think of something even more better.
Re: Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . by Rucheen(m): 8:12am On Oct 23, 2016
Gradually religion will give way for a more peaceful world

1 Like

Re: Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . by SwagPower: 4:21pm On Oct 23, 2016
Lennycool:

Religion will not be eliminated anytime soon, but someday it will be drastically reduced, this can only happen at a time when humans will reach an unprecedented level of development, remove the aspect of a God from religion and it is ultimately a way of life.
Bro I kinda agree wit u.. A bruv of mine had his fone screen smashed.. he told me he got so peeved he felt like murdering d person. .. if" nt 4 God " according to him.. grin
Pt still stands... Religion is wat stops the poor from murdering d rich.. Karl Marx

2 Likes

Re: Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . by SwagPower: 4:25pm On Oct 23, 2016
xpmode:

Good reply

Scientist keep discovering several object in the orbit, what were they looking for
I don't think scientist engage in research solely for d purpose of discovering God. ..
Most of this outer space studies r often carried out 4 d sake of better alternatives to wat we already have..

As far as most scientists r concerned.. God is jst a figment of ur imagination. . cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 23, 2016
SwagPower:

Bro I kinda agree wit u.. A bruv of mine had his fone screen smashed.. he told me he got so peeved he felt like murdering d person. .. if" nt 4 God " according to him.. grin
I'm sure the guy wasn't really serious about murdering the guy(life imprisonment or death is a serious penalty) but he was probably considering a more violent route, but like I said religion cannot simply be eliminated it will be replaced.

pt still stands... Religion is wat stops the poor from murdering d rich.. Karl Marx
It is also what stops them from visualizing change. They simply accept things as they are.

1 Like

Re: Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . by SwagPower: 6:33pm On Oct 23, 2016
Lennycool:

I'm sure the guy wasn't really serious about murdering the guy(life imprisonment or death is a serious penalty) but he was probably considering a more violent route, but like I said religion cannot simply be eliminated it will be replaced.

It is also what stops them from visualizing change. They simply accept things as they are.

Replaced?.. . If u implying by strict laws against amorality.. den all i see is u substituting one bad dog wit a wolf...

On d second point tho.. I agree wit u straight Bruv
Re: Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 23, 2016
SwagPower:

Replaced?.. . If u implying by strict laws against amorality.. den all i see is u substituting one bad dog wit a wolf...

On d second point tho.. I agree wit u straight Bruv
I didn't mean replace in that way. I meant that new morals will be taught to children. Which is basically what religion does except with the addition of God.
Re: Is Religion All That Bad? Is Atheism All That Good?. . by winner01(m): 6:57pm On Oct 23, 2016
SwagPower:
The debates never end,d retorts n repartee jst get sharper n quicker... If it isn't Winner01 today extolling d virtues of religion or Castigating the atheists as candidates of hell, it'd Hardmirror continously venting on d limitations posed on human intellect by religion...

Whichever side of d divide u stand, bt cogitating with a mind devoid of prejudice n stereotype u'd agree dt both religion an atheism have in their ways made positive impacts on our world...

As much as I hate d idea of indoctrination n brainwashing. I av found myself In my most private moments thinking what rily wld d world b like without d giant lamp dt guides the path of over 7 billion people in d world.. RELIGION

In d posts dt follow I'll try to outline some of the reason y although religion cld b a limitation, the world has benefited greatly frm it.

NB: THIS POST DOESN'T Make ME A RELIGIOUS OR ATHEIST

If atheists suppose that religion is the problem, them I'm convinced that they see atheism as the solution.
Ive opened threads on these before.

https://www.nairaland.com/3232251/what-exactly-atheism-done-humanity

https://www.nairaland.com/3300546/some-benefits-atheism

(1) (Reply)

The Sinless Life ( 1 John 3:6 ) - Paul Ellis / Sabbath Day Confusion / UPDATE: 200 Worshippers Die After A/Ibom Church Collapses, How Gov Escaped Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.