Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba (78058 Views)

Darapo Mo Egbe Omo Yoruba Atata (odua) Lori Fesibukuu? / Message To Egbe Omo Yoruba - E Gbe Ede Yin Laruge! - / Omo Yoruba, E Je Ka Ki Ara Wa Wipe 'E Ku Something' (Yoruba Greetings) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 09, 2010
Remi Raji, award-winning poet, cultural activist and scholar, is the author of A Harvest of Laughter.

Even in the season of cholera, at a moment like this when chicaneries have gripped the heart of my country, where there’s only a little space to think or speak heartily about the puzzling geography, I celebrate a great writer, teacher and compatriot. For here is a most consistent poet, both in the deployment of an exceptional craft and in the clarity of an unyielding dogma, to which the average reader of contemporary African poetry could associate the quality of distinction. He has also been one of the most prolific Nigerian authors of his age, his works only comparable to the dramaturgic output of Femi Osofisan and the poetic as well as academic writings of Tanure Ojaide and Biodun Jeyifo, among his compatriots. He was the most important trailblazer of the sub-tradition of tabloid poetry in Nigerian literary culture, having started the “Song of the Season” column in “The Nigerian Tribune” newspaper in 1985, sustaining the weekly publication of verses for well over a decade, with few intermissions.

I shall call him the democratic smith in the forge, the one who praises and scourges by the same nib of the pen. Once, he delivered an honest and provocative criticism of the crop of authors who belong to the so-called Third generation of Nigerian writing; and although he was understandably disturbed by the seeming illiteracy and mis-education of some new generation writers and journalists, this singer of the marketplace acknowledges the cross-fertilization of ideas and creative imagination which invariably occurs between and among writers across generations working within related, similar and same cultural environments. I think it is natural for accomplished writers to expect nothing but greater craft from other younger authors writing on or stepping on their heels. Surely, a predecessor’s challenge is a sign that something is sluggish or not happening in the literary loom. But in his self-assuredness, you will not catch the author of Village Voices unguarded, claiming that a “generation” is a copycat of the other.

In his poetry, he brought the exciting tonality of the Yoruba tongue into the rough segmentality of the Anglo-Saxon phrase and grammar; he dragged the fixed, antiseptic prosody of Petrarch into the tropical trough; he waived the windy schema of Wyatt, challenged the turgid impossibility of Elliot, and the weighty rhythms of Ezra Pound; he loved Shelley’s dictum about poetry and the conscience of being; then he dipped his hands into the fertile pouch of our traditional lore, and out of the grove emerged as the master-masquerade of words, the voice of fire, a tongue of thunder. Like other poet-polemicists of his generation, he took the sail off the opaque and the arcane, and he particularly blended the songs of the book with the songs in the streets; magical stylistician, he puts a clear message in the kernel of his art and creates a translucent form which radiates meaning even to the sworn hater of the verse. And thus he said, “Poetry is…man meaning to man”.

He conjures the metaphors of Esimuda to replace that of Janus. He commands the presence of Olosunta to displace the Olympian images which filled the bones of earlier poetry; yet, he writes gingerly about our common issues, our common dreams and nightmares, in a new poetic idiom that is uncommonly inspiring and mellifluous. Even when he writes about the rocks, rivers, the moon, the sun and other elements, it is the human condition that is at the core of the poet’s consciousness. So, I will say that his significance is not in the number of collections or volumes of poetry that he has produced, or in the others yet to be written. His importance for Nigerian and African writing resides in his sustenance of a linguistic idiom, stylized after the poetics of alter-native tradition which was fashionable in the 1980s but which lacked enough practitioners. Wherever in the world he plies the song, there’s always the true energy of the inspired, the rooted, the one who is blessed with a million metaphors.

Chinua Achebe teaches us a masterful and disarming narrative style filled with both lessons and puzzles; Soyinka bequeaths to us a large canvass of artistic genius and political daring; and Okigbo, the combination of the puzzle and the daring that the real author is all about, provides us with the limitless possibilities of the Muse, the true excitement of imagination. In his poetry and essays, Osundare, the scion of Osun captures the vagaries of the African dilemma, with the deep emotive insight of a revolutionary artist. Always, he queries the “jangling discord” of the Nigerian nation in a harmonious language made for intimacy and intelligibility; he draws consistently on the heritage of Yoruba verbal elegance which he transforms onto the graphic and permanent intelligence of the written word; for him the page is only a tangible site for the performance of the poetic text, and the voice, with the atmosphere of delivery, is the thing. To read a poem sitting, or standing like Sigidi, he insists, is to commit an abominable act, a disservice to the pageant of the enchanted word!
Indeed, Niyi Osundare is the poet of the alter-native tradition par excellence.

I am not one to deny the power or delicacy of the word and its connective energies on the life-force of utterer and hearer alike. Literally speaking, Osundare is a committed acolyte of Earth, the one who plucked international attention with The Eye of the Earth. He is one who has twice been blessed by the spiritual agency of Earth, to survive one assassination attempt and a “Katrina,” and still lives to tell his stories. (The spirits of raging rivers save their own!). Farmer-born, peasant-bred, he has a rare poetic imagination not unconnected to the fertility of the soil, and the waters. Olosunta, this is to life, and to more writing. I celebrate the faith, the commitment of your art, the persistence of your vision. I celebrate you, stubborn melon in the eye of the storm! More garlands yet in creation days.

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 3:31pm On Oct 09, 2010
i love reading on the scientists here, serves as worthy inspiration. The Olopade woman is fantastic! shocked
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 3:31pm On Oct 09, 2010
Simbo Olorunfemi is a Nigerian poet, journalist, and business person with a background in TV production and brand management. His first poetry collection, Rhythm of the Coins, attracted praise from critics and was short listed for 1993 Association of Nigerian Authors Poetry Prize. Olorunfemi's follow up, Eko Ree, won first prize at the 2004 contest. As a journalist, he has written columns for several Nigerian newspapers on a regular basis.

Olorunfemi works professionally as a television producer. He has been credited on several popular local shows, and was nominated for TV producer of the year in 1991.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sbeezy8: 3:34pm On Oct 09, 2010
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 09, 2010
#
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sbeezy8: 3:40pm On Oct 09, 2010
[img]http://bossip.files./2010/06/omarosa-donald-trump.jpg?w=437[/img]

i would smash Omarosa she is sooooooo sex.y esp after she had her dating sho man i know shes freaky
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 3:44pm On Oct 09, 2010
Helen Olajumoke Oyeyemi (born December 10, 1984) is a British novelist. She was born in Nigeria and moved to London when she was four.

She wrote her first novel, The Icarus Girl, while still at school studying for her A levels at Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School.

Oyeyemi studied Social and Political Sciences at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, graduating in 2006. Whilst at Cambridge, two of her plays, Juniper's Whitening and Victimese, were performed by fellow students to critical acclaim and subsequently published by Methuen.

In 2007 Bloomsbury published her second novel, The Opposite House which is inspired by Cuban mythology.

Oyeyemi is a lifelong Catholic who has done voluntary work for CAFOD in Kenya.

In 2009 Oyeyemi was recognized as one of the women on Venus Zine’s “25 under 25” list.

Her third novel, White is for Witching, described as having "roots in Henry James and Edgar Allan Poe" was published by Picador in May 2009.

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by AloyEmeka5: 4:17pm On Oct 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

[Half Igbo/Half Yoruba lol]

Emeka Agbayi, writer and consultant on Strategic Communication, holds BA and MA degrees in English (Comparative Literature) from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. He has worked in advertising, publishing and journalism. He currently edits Host Magazine, among his other duties at Nigeria LNG Limited.

I hope you know that Igbo people answer Agbayi too?
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sbeezy8: 4:25pm On Oct 09, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

I hope you know that Igbo people answer Agbayi too?

she should take him off- and i dont see what special about him anyway seems like a regular dude in naija
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 09, 2010
removed. . . .
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by AloyEmeka5: 4:35pm On Oct 09, 2010
sbeezy8:

[img]http://bossip.files./2010/06/omarosa-donald-trump.jpg?w=437[/img]

i would smash Omarosa she is sooooooo sex.y esp after she had her dating sho man i know shes freaky

Since when did  Omaroseonee Manigault become Yoruba?. Are you BecomeRich in disguise?
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 4:39pm On Oct 09, 2010
My full name is Omorosaonee; it’s a Yoruba name that means, ‘my beautiful child desired.’ My father’s family is Nigerian my mother is American. I do recognize where I’m from and my lineage. I mean you look at my cheekbones, you look at my fierce fighting spirit and attitude—you know exactly where I’m from. I went to Nigeria three years ago and did a whole press tour there for about three weeks and helped to launch an Apprentice Africa. It was pretty exciting.

Omarosa is probably one of the most polarizing figures in reality television, people love to hate her and hate to love her so much she was voted the #1 Reality Show Villain by TV Guide. But the other Lady O just brands that tag America’s fear of the strong, intelligent and (brown-skinned) black woman.

Now she’s back on the TV airwaves and has re-teamed with her old 'boss', Donald Trump for TV One’s new dating reality show, Donald J. Trump Presents: The Ultimate Merger. This time out she’s looking for love and a life long mate, because she already got the work part figured out. Aside from the reality show biz, Omarosa is also studying to be a minister. VIBE chatted with her about her new show, life, love, religion, and her latest beef with Bethenny's Getting Married? and former Real Housewives of New York star Bethenny

Damn she's hawwwwt!!!
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sbeezy8: 4:40pm On Oct 09, 2010
THIS IS SOOOO RANDOM haha i gotta put this one i bet no one knew he was half nigerian- i always thought he was white or spanish

[size=13pt]Slash from Guns N Roses![/size]

slash and mom Ola before she died.

1 Like

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sbeezy8: 4:46pm On Oct 09, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Since when did  Omaroseonee Manigault become Yoruba?. Are you BecomeRich in disguise?

aloy aloy aloy how many time did I call your name dis GAL?!!! you no dey listen I will not post something that im not sure of.

@ topic on Her dating show she was talking about her how her dad was murdered- sad really sad since hes naija guy and  really really sad since hes a yoruba dude.

anyway sha she makes for good TV Id say shes DEF ONE of the most famous reality stars right now
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sbeezy8: 5:07pm On Oct 09, 2010
[size=13pt] Legendary NBA Star Kareem Abdul Jabbar One of the greatest basketball player of ALL TIME!!!!!![/size]

^^^^ with barack yo!

Speaking about the thinking behind his change of name when he converted to Islam he said to Playboy that he was "latching on to something that was part of my heritage, because many of the slaves who were brought here were Muslims. My family was brought to America by a French planter named Alcindor, who came here from Trinidad in the 18th century. My people were Yoruba, and their culture survived slavery (, ) My father found out about that when I was a kid, and it gave me all I needed to know that, hey, I was somebody, even if nobody else knew about it.
awards
National Basketball Association:
Rookie of the Year (1970)
Six-time NBA champion (1971, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988)
Most Valuable Player (1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1980)
Sporting News NBA MVP (1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1980)
Finals Most Valuable Player (1971, 1985)
Sports Illustrated magazine's "Sportsman of the Year" (1985)
One of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996)
First player in NBA history to play 20 seasons
#7 in SLAM Magazine's Top 50 NBA Players of all time in 2009.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sbeezy8: 5:20pm On Oct 09, 2010
Jabbar likes Olajuwon's style over Shaq's. (Kareem Abdul Jabbar prefers Hakeem Olajuwon's playing over Shaquille O'Neal's)

Legendary center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, whose trademark sky hook made opposing defenses tremble, recently gave current NBA center Hakeem Olajuwon his seal of approval at his old position.

Abdul-Jabbar, 47, noted he favors the play of Houston Rockets superstar center Olajuwon over the play of Shaquille O'Neal.

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by ezeagu(m): 9:10pm On Oct 09, 2010
People of distant descent count as well? shocked Okay. *runs off to Igbo thread*
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 11:02pm On Oct 09, 2010
ezeagu:

People of distant descent count as well? shocked Okay. *runs off to Igbo thread*
Great idea grin grin
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sbeezy8: 11:58pm On Oct 09, 2010
HOLLYWOOD DIRECTORS- I like this because I watched his movie THE WOOD!!! and randomly saw the name like wow how nice.

[size=13pt]Rick Famuyiwa[/size]

^^^^^ him and his family
Rick Famuyiwa, born on June 18, 1973, is a Hollywood writer and director of films such as The Wood (1999) and Brown Sugar (2002).[1] His most recent film is the comedy Our Family Wedding (2010), starring Forest Whitaker and America Ferrera.

Movies hes done

[size=13pt]The Wood![/size] best fuckin movie ever !!!! Ive seen it like a thousand time since it came out just watched it LAST WEEK
[img]http://southerneccentrik.files./2009/11/wood.jpg[/img]
Taye diggs, Omar Epps, Richard T jones

[size=13pt]Brown Sugar!!!![/size]

Sanaa lathan and Taye diggs

[size=13pt]our family wedding[/size]

Lance Gross, America Ferrara
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Gamine(f): 12:01am On Oct 10, 2010
^^^Beautiful!!

[img]http://1.bp..com/_R-5kp8rvgMA/STTg2UPNrTI/AAAAAAAABsQ/FjVq5711MHA/s400/TY+Ogunkoya+(2).jpg[/img]

Now, this guy is out of this world.

1 Like

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by ezeagu(m): 3:15pm On Oct 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Great idea grin grin

Haha, see who is talking. grin cool
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 3:48pm On Oct 10, 2010
ezeagu:

Haha, see who is talking. grin cool
I see, and I likey grin cool
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by AloyEmeka5: 6:59pm On Oct 10, 2010
Gamine:

^^^Beautiful!!

[img]http://1.bp..com/_R-5kp8rvgMA/STTg2UPNrTI/AAAAAAAABsQ/FjVq5711MHA/s400/TY+Ogunkoya+(2).jpg[/img]

Now, this guy is out of this world.

He is so gay.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by bkbabe97y(m): 8:34am On Oct 17, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

He is so gay.

Gayer than u?
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 2:11am On Oct 18, 2010
Bayo Ojo elected 1st Nigerian to UK arbitrators’ institute

FORMER Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Chief Bayo Ojo, has become the first Nigerian to be elected as Africa’s representative to the United Kingdom’s Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.

Ojo is currently Nigeria’s representative at the International Law Commission, Geneva, Switzerland, an arm of the United Nations.
He is also seeking the ticket of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party {PDP} to run for governor in Kogi State.

The Institute’s Director of Administration, Ms Claire Hughes, in an electronic mail, announced Ojo’s election through a congratulatory message.

News of Ojo’s election as the Trustee for Africa for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK, filtered in in the early hours of Friday, throwing the legal community in the country into jubilation.

Regarded as one of the leading lights of Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution in Nigeria, Ojo defeated Justice Charles Kajimanga of Kenya for the only slot available to Africa.

The former AGF had been the head of the Institute in Nigeria and the West African representative of The Netherland based Foundation For International Commercial Arbitration (SICA/FICA).
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by chic2pimp(m): 4:08am On Oct 18, 2010
Some Of These Dudes Are Freaking Smart.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by ogajim(m): 1:53am On Oct 21, 2010
Idonije is a Lagosian?

When will Nigerians stop this we're better than your tribe thing?
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by isalegan2: 10:26pm On Nov 04, 2010
[quote author=sbeezy8 link=topic=342281.msg6910740#msg6910740 date=1286665100]
HOLLYWOOD DIRECTORS- I like this because I watched his movie THE WOOD!!! and randomly saw the name like wow how nice.

[size=13pt]Rick Famuyiwa[/size]

^^^^^ him and his family
[/Quote]

I love the kids.  The older girl is so confident.  smiley
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 5:40am On Nov 05, 2010
Designer; Folake Kuye Huntoon

WeWe Clothing glams the kids with its new collection “Ijinle” . The delightful collection consists of the cute, trendy pieces in patterns that are easily identifiable with children, making the collection fun, playful and reflective of the cheerful spirit of curious kids!

Designer, Folake Kuye Huntoon, talks more about the “Ijinle” collection:

Collection

“Ijinle” in the Yoruba language means “the roots”, “authentic”, “ancestors”, so many significant and powerful meanings that represent my vision for this collection and for WeWe Clothingas a company. I tend to be really raw and above all, take pride in being an Ibadan girl. For the first time, my husband, 3 kids and beautiful niece visited Ibadan in Nigeria and it was an organic experience. Obviously, it was a bonding one too, it was the first time my family had a chance to see me in true cultural context. The inspiration just came pouring, and as I was there to enjoy and have a good time with my family, I was also taking notes and sketching my next collection for WeWe. It shaped my direction. I knew I had to not only re-focus, but re-brand as well.

Fabric

I chose to use all Ankara fabrics for this collection. In the past, I have mixed Ankara with western fabrics, lace or aso-oke even. This time, I didn’t want to mix. I just wanted to dedicate this to Ibadan, my homeland. Both my parents are from there, and we all re-united in the same city where it all began and where they met. I observed that on the streets or just in general, everyone (adults & kids) had on Ankara with different beautiful designs, patterns and colours.

The Future

Well, we are really happy with the brand right now.We want to get better with every collection, we want to expand our sizes too because right now, we stop at size 5/6. Also, we are working on global expansion and on several non-profit projects. One of them is with American Red Cross of Los Angeles for the people of Haiti, and another is a sickle cell foundation, in which we are trying to focus on Nigeria; orphans with sickle cell disease, and kids with sickle cell in general.
We have a lot going on, it’s an exciting time.

Her Children in some of her designs

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sbeezy8: 11:16pm On Nov 06, 2010
Hott song from diddy ft skepta (Joseph Junior Adenuga) remix to hello

(pix of skepta and Diddy dirty money)

[img]http://mrtremix.files./2010/10/skepta-and-p-diddy.jpg?w=480&h=720[/img]
[img]http://4.bp..com/_rHNk3m9G77I/TKYA4oxEqBI/AAAAAAAABGM/TArgizgK-hU/s1600/Diddy+Dirty+Money+Glasgow.jpg[/img]

official video its hottt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghZSwubqUF0
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 11:50pm On Nov 06, 2010
Tunde Adebimpe

Babatunde "Tunde" Adebimpe (born 1975) is an American musician, actor, and director best known as the lead singer of the Brooklyn-based band TV on the Radio. His vocal method often involves improvisation, the use of effects and repeating sampled loops.

Background and education

Adebimpe was born in Nigeria and grew up in Hampton Township, a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. His father was an artist, psychiatrist and social worker, and his mother worked as a pharmacist. His sister is a gospel and opera singer, and his late brother was a writer. He attended Shady Side Academy from 1989 to 1993, and then moved to New York City after graduating. He is a graduate of New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, and formerly worked at MTV as an animator.

Acting career

He starred in a 2001 indie movie, Jump Tomorrow, based on a short college film, Jorge, in which he played the same character.

In 2008 he appeared as the groom in Jonathan Demme's Rachel Getting Married alongside Anne Hathaway, who portrayed the bride's wayward sister. In the film, Adebimpe performs an a cappella cover of the Neil Young song "Unknown Legend".

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Ogunwusi Catwalks At Fashion Show In Lagos (photos) / Where Is Oduduwa Really From? / Shock As Men Steal Meat From Lions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.