Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,751 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

Pls Help With My Marriage - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pls Help With My Marriage (1106 Views)

Help Save My Marriage / I Left Pdp To Save My Marriage – Dora Akunyili / How Should I Handle My Marriage Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help With My Marriage by deejnr: 9:00pm On Dec 31, 2006
my husband and i have been living in the Uk for a couple of years now. My husband has got 4 younger sisters, 2 of whom I have not been in good terms with. The immediate younger one 2 my husband never liked me from the onset, although i sensed it, my husband assured me it was notin. As time went on She began 2 display her unfriendly attitude 2wards me 2 which i told my husband and he said my mind was playin tricks on me. I tried on my part 2 make friends wit her, i'd call her, text her etc and she never responded nor replied. Finally i told my husband i would no longer call his sister 2 which he agreed: all this happened while we were courting (i was still in nigeria then).
She did sometin on my weddin day at the reception which made me really pissed, i was hurt n cried, still my husband took sides wit her. I then decided to stop talkin 2 her completely and becos of that, the younger siter also took offence and stopped talkin 2 me and began sayin alot of nasty things about me 2 my husband and parent inlaws which i later found out. The only people who took sides wit me were my parent inlaws n my husband's 2 younger sisters.
Well my 'weddin spoiler' then began 2 report me to everyone in the family that i was disrespectin her by not callin her, it carried on for a year wit several calls to my husband and my parent inlaws. Again, Everyone took sides wit her and urged me to call her. I succumbed and called her several times, she still never returned my calls. She said she was pregnant and told my husband she wants 2 relocate to the Uk 2 have her baby and also live wit us 2 which my husband was very excited and supportive .
I know she's trouble and have told my husband i've no problem with her relocatin 2 the UK, but livin wit us is impossible. I also told him, i would seperate from him if she comes.
Pls i need ur candid advice: I'm i been irrational or is it the right thing to do.
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by Bulga(m): 5:14am On Jan 01, 2007
I am sorry for your situation. But, women, women, women, I do not understand why womenfolk find it difficult to relate with one another. Whatever being the case, note that confrontation will do you no good, and if you stick to it you will be the loser at the end. You better bring your mind together and find a way to make Peace with those chicks. Diplomacy is the best weapon you can use to win the war.

I wish you a Happy New Year!

Take care
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by iice(f): 9:20am On Jan 01, 2007
Sorry for you situation. you have to make your husband understand that you would not feel comfortable with her living with you guys, that you will be very unhappy. Make him understand that you are happy she is coming to the UK but that the two of you cannot live in the same house. Well don't worry more NL members will help you out. And then maybe you would find some advices that will help you. Take heart and hope all works out for you.
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by ruescho(m): 11:11am On Jan 01, 2007
What about your husband?

One day at a celebration my sister confronted my former wife.
I asked my sister to apologize, but she refused to do so.
Then I cut ties with my sister cos no one should be allowed to offend my wife.

I understand the value of familiy, but if I have to decide my family is not people abroad,
but the ones I am living with.

I pray your husband will take the right decision!
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by naijacutee(f): 1:20pm On Jan 01, 2007
You are not being irrational. If you are aware that someone doesn't like you, and isn't interested in making peace with you, it would be foolish to invite them to come and live with you. I would advise you not to discourage your husband from helping her come here to give birth, but he would have to get her a place. You have your life to live and your family to take care of. Just like she has hers.
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by mamaput(f): 1:27pm On Jan 01, 2007
Let her not come and spoil your marrage .
Make it clear to your husband why you do not want her.
Do you have kids?
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:54pm On Jan 01, 2007
this is really confusing  cause i won't advice you to seperate from your husband,or start a fight with your sister inlaw cause its going to get you no where,but i would advice you to talk things over with your husband,explaing things to him in a calm way cause if you try shouting,it might not get you a good response and also put everything in prayers,cause in such situations its a time you ve got to cast all your burdens to Him,cause humanbeings would dissapoint you but God would never dissapoint you, and i believe He would see you through. wink
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by ikamefa(f): 5:08pm On Jan 01, 2007
I believe this sister -n law of yours is going to make life hell for you if she comes into your home
discourage your husband from allowing her come into your home at all cost diplomatically cheesy

why separate from your husband because of his sibling? naah i would not advice you to do that! and if by all means she must come into your home, do your best to be the sane or bigger person because believe me she is going to bring "it" just be very careful around her in other words "shine your eye " very well 24/7

like some one adviced go into prayers, i believe your husband should be able to stand up for what is right!
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by dre901(m): 5:18pm On Jan 01, 2007
My dear, am so sorry for your present dilemma. it really a pity. you have to let your husband know how you really feel straight from the heart. there is no hiring place for you because your husband's sister is coming to make life unbearable for you.so tell your husband your fears and you are ready for any trouble
she brings along.

God will help you ad your husband.
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by Eurphoria(f): 5:37pm On Jan 01, 2007
hmm i feel for you but the answer is very simple, forget all that crap about oh you don't want to seem like you coming between your husband and his sister. Listen what she thinks of you wont change for now so do not jump from frying pan to fire and invite her. You will be asking for trouble. I sense she is up to no good, better safe than sorry. Keep family at a distance is what i say once you marry its you and your husband and kids . Every other person can visit, but to live in my house? Only when hell freezes over.

That is your home, your sanctuary do not invite someone who does not even like you room to play games. Keep her well away from you home. Got to get your hubby on side, it will be hard for him but he has to realise that you are his wife and you are his priority, your happiness comes first . Any man who needs  reminding of that especially a married one should never have gotten married. Three is a bleeding crowd angry 

Dont not let sentiments rule use your head
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jan 01, 2007
If your husband's sister is pregnant, that means she may be married. What is her husband doing and is your husband also responsible for helping him relocate to the UK too?

On no account must you encourage your husband to let her come to the UK, if she does she WILL stay with you no doubt! You are his wife and you have to put your feet down, your husband must rise up to his responsibilities and that is YOU not his sister!
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by deejnr: 9:45pm On Jan 01, 2007
we thrashed this issue, calmly, romantically, spiritually, emotionally, maturely etc but my husband has made his stands known on the issue and i also made my stands known on the issue.
Mind u, my sister in law is married and has a hubby who supports her relocation idea.
Also we have a baby who's less than a year old. My husband finally admitted that he realised she never liked me but believes i should overlook her behaviour.
I only tot about the whole situatn and realised my husband had and will always take sides wit her ever since and i dont tink i can handle being a second fiddle in his life. He hasnt changed a bit and believe me I tink i have a life ahead of me and can start from the scratch if i walk away now rather than waitin for her to come and plot some tricks to break my home and leave me wit no strength to live my dreams.
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jan 01, 2007
deejnr:

we thrashed this issue, calmly, romantically, spiritually, emotionally, maturely etc but my husband has made his stands known on the issue and i also made my stands known on the issue.
Mind u, my sister in law is married and has a hubby who supports her relocation idea.
Also we have a baby who's less than a year old. My husband finally admitted that he realised she never liked me but believes i should overlook her behaviour.
I only tot about the whole situatn and realised my husband had and will always take sides wit her ever since and i don't think i can handle being a second fiddle in his life. He hasnt changed a bit and believe me I think i have a life ahead of me and can start from the scratch if i walk away now rather than waitin for her to come and plot some tricks to break my home and leave me wit no strength to live my dreams.

Of course what husband will not support the relocation idea? Is that not a one-way ticket for him to relocate too while leeching off ur husband's spinelessness?

You have a baby less than 1 yr and ur husband is bringing in your worst enemy? Seems to me he has some growing up to do himself, there just may be two babies in your home!

The best way to thrash this out is not by walking away now, sit back, dig in your heels and fight for your own home and marriage!!!
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by ikamefa(f): 10:00pm On Jan 01, 2007
davidylan:

Of course what husband will not support the relocation idea? Is that not a one-way ticket for him to relocate too while leeching off your husband's spinelessness?

You have a baby less than 1 yr and your husband is bringing in your worst enemy? Seems to me he has some growing up to do himself, there just may be two babies in your home!

The best way to thrash this out is not by walking away now, sit back, dig in your heels and fight for your own home and marriage!!!

word!
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by deejnr: 10:36pm On Jan 01, 2007
i honestly don't know how to fight when it comes to that: I am a person who would rather talk things thru or walk away.
And if i decide to fight now and perhaps win, how many fights 'm goin to be involved in? I cant keep fightin for the rest of my life: Besides, i dont want to fight or force my husband into agreein wit me. I want an honest decision that'll come from his heart. If he goes ahead wit his sister's plan and she eventually comes, then i'd know he's sister's wants is of uttermost importance to him than his marriage/family: that i cannot handle nor bear.
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jan 01, 2007
@ deejnr

what were you doing before you got married? Where all these not obvious?
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by ayinba1(f): 3:50pm On Jan 02, 2007
@daviddylan
mean thing to say
@deejnr.
Pray for guidance, hang in there, do what your heart most decides
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by Amadin2000(m): 3:19pm On Jan 09, 2007
Don't let people kill your family:
1. It takes two to tangle, access yourself, only your inlaw cannot be 100% wrong
2. Work on yourself and forget about her, so what if she dosen't answer your greeting, does it make you loose money?
3. Let your good character bring shame to her and convince your husband who is right or wrong, make your husband judge but by reason of your good character not your complains
4. You have absolutely no right in stopping your in-law from staying with her brother, only your husbad does
5. Your problem is you think too much about her, enjoy your marital life, life if for enjoyment, the less you think of her, the smaller she becomes, the more you think about her, the bigger she becomes, don't make her unnecessarily important!!
6. If you leave your home, be absolutely sure you have given him another wife because there are a lot of women who will be ready to move in, Husbands are scarce these days!!!
7. My friend be wise, a virtuos woman builds her home and not destroy it. cool
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by Bulga(m): 1:28am On Jan 10, 2007
@ Amadin2000,
You have spoken well and wisely like a great orator. In fact, you are the greatest.

How come you are so wise? I guess you are a guy, If not I will do my best to befriend you and see if we can take the relationship to a serious level smiley. We need more people you here.

@ Deejnr,
Amadin has said it all. A word as they say is enough for the wise.
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by eslynera(f): 4:52pm On Jan 10, 2007
Oh, i feel so sorry for you, and i know most of d sisters in law always have brain problems undecided Sorry for d situation.
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by kellogs(m): 12:24pm On Jan 18, 2007
hello girlfriend,quit feeling sorry for urself,i agree with Amadin,you have to be strong,who says marriage is a bed of roses anyway,it comes with its own challenges and this is yours,so deary face it.
What makes you think if you leave your husband and eventually marry another man it won't be a worse situation with a terrible mother-in-law or the whole family ganging up against you?Please be strong for yourself,for your husband and for your baby.Men, what do they know? You will be surprised at the level of their immaturity when it comes to taking some decisions but it does not mean they love you less,he is the head of the family but u r his neck,so turn him whichever way you want,i guess u know how to do that,he is your man.
As for your sister-in-law,just be good to her,i know its difficult,it will take a lot of divine wisdom but she will definitly come around if you ignore all the terrible things she does to you.Just be good to her irrespective of whatever she does to you,she'll come around one day cos she 'll feel really stupid,she is human and she has a concience.
The Lord is your strenght,ask Him for more wisdom.
All the best and dont forget to let us know when things haave been settled.
Re: Pls Help With My Marriage by Tonyblu(m): 5:03pm On Jan 18, 2007
Plenty good advice has passed thru this thread.

Deejnr,
Amadin2000:

Don't let people kill your family:
- Work on yourself and forget about her, so what if she dosen't answer your greeting, does it make you loose money?

- Let your good character bring shame to her and convince your husband who is right or wrong, make your husband judge but by reason of your good character not your complains

- Your problem is you think too much about her, enjoy your marital life, life if for enjoyment, the less you think of her, the smaller she becomes, the more you think about her, the bigger she becomes, don't make her unnecessarily important!!

- My friend be wise, a virtuous woman builds her home and does not destroy it.

I agree with Amadin on the points quoted above.

Think less of her; do all u usually to do irrespective of who may be around, it's your own home!

Be more romantic to huzzy;
Be extra radiant, take time with your toiletries;
Look sweet; look charming; look adorable.
Let yourself shine!
Such that she'll look stoooopidly foolish when her antics seem not to be getting to you.

Dont let the stunts she may pull with her pregnancy fool you, good enuff u wer just preg a few months back.

Also, be cautious with the Kitchen dept, that where the kata-kata may burst.

Above all, BE PRAYERFUL!

It kan onli git Beta!

(1) (Reply)

If You Have Just 24 Hours To Live / Seun How Long Do You Intend To Run Nairaland? / Bolajibaok!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.