Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,147 members, 7,807,472 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:56 PM

How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. (5527 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Criticized For Holding Service At Canaanland Amid Covid-19 / Coronavirus: Apostle Kofi Nkrumah Sarkodie Arrested For Holding Church Service / Where Exactly Is Garden Of Eden??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Tallesty1(m): 12:08pm On Oct 23, 2016
A lot of people on here believe that religion is the bane of nigerian problems. Seun once said that religious people need help and we always blame religion when someone does the unthinkable.

I personally think our problems is not caused by religion(Christianity) but by a lack of visionary leadership, colonization, and the fact that our Einsteins prefer to live and work abroad. But some are of the opinion that Nigeria will become heaven without religion.

So I am asking to know how Christianity as a religion contributes to our underdevelopment.
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by bigiyaro(m): 12:16pm On Oct 23, 2016
Me too i don't know oo! It baffles me how this poverty infested country also has the world's richest pastor.

2 Likes

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Tallesty1(m): 12:18pm On Oct 23, 2016
bigiyaro:
Me too i don't know oo! It baffles me how this poverty infested country also has the world's richest pastor.
That richest pastor also authored many books and could be an investor in many businesses that we may not know.

4 Likes

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by bigiyaro(m): 12:21pm On Oct 23, 2016
Tallesty1:
That richest pastor also authored many books and could be an investor in many businesses that we may not know.
OK.
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Paulpaulpaul(m): 12:22pm On Oct 23, 2016
Tallesty1:

You're right and he can also make first fruit compulsory as well as tithe and offering.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Tallesty1(m): 12:23pm On Oct 23, 2016
Paulpaulpaul:

You're right and he can also make first fruit compulsory as well as tithe and offering.
Thanks but can you answer my initial question?

*MODIFIED*.

SO I asked how Christianity is holding Nigeria back and the first few comments from atheists said Christianity is the reason because they blame witches and evil spirits for their problems instead of working for a solution.

It's OK.

But what I don't understand is why the same atheists are busy blaming Christianity for our problems instead of working for a solution.

grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by GoodMuyis(m): 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2016
It is understatement to a country without Christianity is a violence prone. if there no prolonged war, there will be a reoccurring bloody conflict.
Somalia for example

3 Likes

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by GoodMuyis(m): 12:37pm On Oct 23, 2016
Let me say its a silly expression by any sane being. What brought civilization and education to Nigeria if not Christianity

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Tallesty1(m): 12:45pm On Oct 23, 2016
GoodMuyis:
Let me say its a silly expression by any sane being. What brought civilization and education to Nigeria if not Christianity
Nobody considers that any longer. They are after Christianity in virtually all threads in religion section.

3 Likes

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 23, 2016
You guys are getting it all wrong

Religion is not to be blamed for the moral weakness and wickedness of our leaders.

Religion is a sort of system that provides an escape for real life issues and when the societal burden becomes smothering, religion teaches that unseen supernatural forces are responsible for our problems.

Instead of religious youths to protest against unemployment or lockdown the street because of corruption,they go to church to pray and fast for non existing jobs.

Witches and wizards are blamed for misfortunes and for our wrong choices and misdeed.

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by tobechi20(m): 1:38pm On Oct 23, 2016
christianity is solution not problem

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Isaacmacdon(m): 2:26pm On Oct 23, 2016
I dig your point tallesty1. I wonder how their minds got tainted with filth. I'm not suprised.

Back to your question; the current problem of nigeria or africa in generality is not christianity.

Christians are very innovative people. Take a cue from the u.s and the u.k, these guys are very well developed as a result of the much distinctive manner the christians operated. The church had a huge part to play.

Any good thing or idea a christian puts up for the development of a country always go a long way. Nigeria is the most religious country on planet earth, but do you know what's stifling our growth? GREED.

5 Likes

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Tallesty1(m): 3:02pm On Oct 23, 2016
Isaacmacdon:
I dig your point tallesty1. I wonder how their minds got tainted with filth. I'm not suprised.

Back to your question; the current problem of nigeria or africa in generality is not christianity.

Christians are very innovative people. Take a cue from the u.s and the u.k, these guys are very well developed as a result of the much distinctive manner the christians operated. The church had a huge part to play.

Any good thing or idea a christian puts up for the development of a country always go a long way. Nigeria is the most religious country on planet earth, but do you know what's stifling our growth? GREED.
Exactly.

Sometimes I do ask myself, is it religion that made our leaders to loot and deposit our money in foreign banks?

Is religion the reason Nigerians refuse to return home to work after schooling abroad?

In education sector, church owned schools are outperforming government schools so how exactly is it holding us back?

There's something wrong in our system and it's definitely not caused by Christianity.

Buhari traveled abroad to treat ear infection but Clinton's personal doctor is a Yoruba man. That news broke my heart like a failed relationship.

2 Likes

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Tallesty1(m): 3:03pm On Oct 23, 2016
Lalastclala how you see this post
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Isaacmacdon(m): 3:13pm On Oct 23, 2016
Tallesty1:
Exactly.

Sometimes I do ask myself, is it religion that made our leaders to loot and deposit our money in foreign banks?

Is religion the reason Nigerians refuse to return home to work after schooling abroad?

In education sector, church owned schools are outperforming government schools so how exactly is it holding us back?

There's something wrong in our system and it's definitely not caused by Christianity.

Buhari traveled abroad to treat ear infection but Clinton's personal doctor is a Yoruba man. That news broke my heart like a failed relationship.
lol, take heart my dear. Take a cue from the sons of eli. Those men were priest of GOD who in all sincerity were meant to serve with a clean slate, but the greediness of those men and the inablity of eli to correct them caused the defeat of the entire Israel. It's same going on currently and the people meant to speak out are silent as a result of fear and taking bribe to keep mute. Ghanians shut down their country when the government refused to provide constant electricity and the government heed to the plight of the citizens. I'm in no way advocating for a revolt, but let's call a spade what it is.

1 Like

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Nobody: 4:13pm On Oct 23, 2016
If you think the two posters above me are funny, click like.

Why people blame religion (Christianity) for the state of the nation isn't because of lack of virtues promoting tendencies absent in religion, but the lack of adequate reactions and almost slavish it-will-be-well screams.

Of all the miasma of corrupt cases hovering around our country's atmosphere since the inception of Buhari's era, the suspension of Jibrin for exposing the rot in the 'house' is enough for hungry and church-dwelling youths to take to the street and lead a protest against organised and constitutional corruption that has bedevilled this country.

Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes"- Karl Marx, translated as 'religion is the opiate of the people', one of the long term effects of opiate is development of tolerance ; religion and its basic tenet that supernatural forces control the natural has imbued Nigerians with a vivid flame of tolerance that has aided the ills of political class.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by NPComplete: 4:44pm On Oct 23, 2016
The OP got it all wrong. Nobody is saying religion is directly causing ills in the society (sometimes it does, like in the case of children being accused of witchcraft in some parts of Nigeria encouraged by the pastors in that area) but what they are saying is that religion permits ills to remain and usually contribute to the perpetuation of such ills.
Exhibit 1: Almost all corrupt politicians who rob the country blind are religious. U will find them in the front row of ur religious houses displaying the wealth gotten at d expense of development and nobody calls them to order. Even pastors seem to revere them and accord them more attention than others. These people give part of this I'll wealth to the church and the churches accept it. Everyday u hear the pastor preaching about seeing someone whose enemies are out to get him but I am waiting for the day we hear a pastor call out a politician and tell him he shouldn't steal the money he is planning to steal d next day.

Exhibit 2: Irresponsibility and passing the buck. When people fail, they are supposed to learn from their failure and improve upon it. We have heard of great men who failed so many times before achieving greatness. Failure is supposed to help one course-correct and learn from experience. Religion has instead shifted the blames for failure to imaginary enemies. Pastors, especially the ones who claim to be running a deliverance ministry, have helped raise a paranoid and irresponsible generation. Instead of learning from mistakes, people rush to church and start praying hard then come back to repeat the mistakes again. I have studied Jehovah's Witnesses and MFMs, I don't see any difference between the quality of life among the two. Even though MFM devote their time to the vanquishing of their enemies, they don't seem any better off for it. So they must have spent much of that time in futility. Probably explains why they have to fight spiritual powers ad infinitum

I could go on and on but u get the gist.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Nobody: 5:57pm On Oct 23, 2016
What is the OP asking sef.
*Nigeria that sends people on religious pilgrimages that have zero benefit to the country when there are starving people on our streets.
*Nigeria has more churches and mosques than hospitals, schools or research centres.
*The pastors are robbing the masses blind. Imagine a pastor that owns jets and mansions which are against jesus's teachings, will still accept money from poor nigerians that can afford three square meals a day.
*Nigerians don't reason under religious influence, RCCG pastor once said that he filled his car up by prayer alone and his members clapped.
*Is book haram not a religious group

And yet the OP is asking how religion is bad

7 Likes

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by honourhim: 6:34pm On Oct 23, 2016
Lennycool:
What is the OP asking sef.
*Nigeria that sends people on religious pilgrimages that have zero benefit to the country when there are starving people on our streets.
*Nigeria has more churches and mosques than hospitals, schools or research centres.
*The pastors are robbing the masses blind. Imagine a pastor that owns jets and mansions which are against jesus's teachings, will still accept money from poor nigerians that can afford three square meals a day.
*Nigerians don't reason under religious influence, RCCG pastor once said that he filled his car up by prayer alone and his members clapped.
*Is book haram not a religious group

And get the OP is asking how religion is bad

Your points are valid but the truth is that politicians are using religion to win people's support. I dont see the need for their stupid sponsorship of pilgrimages. It pains me when huge sums are spent on pilgrimage.
Again some christians play mumu to their pastors that's why you see responsible men lying on the floor while pastor marches on top.
Christianity is not the problem but its practitioners. If we follow what Christ taught us there wont be problem.

Religion is not Naija's problem but part of it.
Christianity has played positive roles too in Nigeria so we can't make a blanket condemnation in this issue.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 23, 2016
Nobody is saying Christianity religion is the root of Nigeria's problem but when you consider it; it plays an integral part in furthering its woes.

We live in a country where people still pray to god for Electricity and beg The heavens to stop rains. Where people pray to God against imaginary enemies and have continous paranoia against demons.

Is your business failing? It must be the work of your grandmother/village people. Never mind that the recession is bad. Never mind that your business strategy is not good. After all, Shade is doing the same business and is succeding isn't she??

The roads are bad but I know it will not affect me and my family. After all, he has said that ten thousand shall fall on my left and right hand but shall not befall me. It is time it will affect.

The worst is when people give birth to litters of children; and when asked how they will feed them, they say "God will provide." Really Divine providence that has not fallen since you got married undecided

Many a christian today do not support Family planning.
Why??

It is God that giveth and taketh.

Tell me how this country will move forward with that mentality undecidedundecidedundecided

[br /]

I understand that people still need religion. That people still feel the need to believe in a higher persona but don't pretend like it actually solves anything.

Cuz it doesn't.

9 Likes

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 23, 2016
It is Islam that is enslaving the Africa_ study all the nations of the world that are adherent of Christianity, they are all well to do countries_then study all the nations of the world that are adherent of Islamic, they are all third world countries.

Those that manage to enter second or struggling to move out of third world does so with the help of the Christians nations.

Believe you me_the day southern Nigeria severe ties with the north and form a separate country that will be dominantly Christians---will be the genesis of liberation in the continent of Africa. There is something about Islam that cause retardation, I don't know what is it, but I sense it
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 23, 2016
Daniel1990:
It is Islam that is enslaving the Africa_ study all the nations of the world that are adherent of Christianity, they are all well to do countries_then study all the nations of the world that are adherent of Islamic, they are all third world countries.

Those that manage to enter second or struggling to move out of third world does so with the help of the Christians nations.

Believe you me_the day southern Nigeria severe ties with the north and form a separate country that will be dominantly Christians---will be the genesis of liberation in the continent of Africa. There is something about Islam that cause retardation, I don't know what is it, but I sense it

Don't blame Islam: UAE, Qatar are predominantly Muslim countries, most of the serene countries in Europe are not even as religious as America yet they've better standards of living, and reasonable societal laws to guide and protect the lives of their citizens

Will severing the ties with the 'north' stop Christians from believing that all their problems spring from spiritual fountains.

Religion(believe in a supernatural force that affects our fortune,with rewards and retributions in any form) is the problem of the world not Nigeria alone.

3 Likes

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 23, 2016
Daniel1990:

How about Dubai, Qatar, Kuwait, UAEundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecided

Why shift the blame on the opposite religion rather than face the problem head on.

1 Like

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Ranchhoddas: 8:00pm On Oct 23, 2016
Brigham:
If you think the two posters above me are funny, click like.

Why people blame religion (Christianity) for the state of the nation isn't because of lack of virtues promoting tendencies absent in religion, but the lack of adequate reactions.

Of all the miasma of corrupt cases hovering around our country's atmosphere since the inception of Buhari's era, the suspension of Jibrin for exposing the rot in the 'house' is enough for hungry and church-dwelling youths to take to the street and lead a protest against organised and constitutional corruption that has bedevilled this country.

Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes"- Karl Marx, translated as 'religion is the opiate of the people', one of the long term effects of opiate is development of tolerance ; religion and its basic tenet that supernatural forces control the natural has imbued Nigerians with a vivid flame of tolerance that has aided the ills of political class.
Plenty grammar, no sense...So if we take away Christianity, we'll stop tolerating the ills of political office holders and start protesting. SMH

1 Like

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 23, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Plenty grammar, no sense...So if we take away Christianity, we'll stop tolerating the ills of political office holders and start protesting. SMH
The post is not meant for r.etards and brain dead juveniles.

You lack the basic sense for comprehension, Junior!, now go into your room and pick your English text.

2 Likes

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Amberon11: 8:07pm On Oct 23, 2016
As the richeat pastor he should do what? Line streets with gold? Is Dangote not the richest black man? Wjat has his region got to show for it?
Paulpaulpaul:

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Ranchhoddas: 8:18pm On Oct 23, 2016
Brigham:

The post is not meant for r.etards and brain dead juveniles.

You lack the basic sense for comprehension, Junior!, now go into your room and pick your English text.
Ogbeni keep kwayet!
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 23, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Ogbeni keep kwayet!
Sayonara! wink

1 Like

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by MK15real: 9:48pm On Oct 23, 2016

2 Likes

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by raphieMontella: 11:04pm On Oct 23, 2016
honourhim:

Your points are valid but the truth is that politicians are using religion to win people's support. I dont see the need for their stupid sponsorship of pilgrimages. It pains me when huge sums are spent on pilgrimage.
Again some christians play mumu to their pastors that's why you see responsible men lying on the floor while pastor marches on top
Christianity is not the problem but its practitioners. If we follow what Christ taught us there wont be problem.

Religion is not Naija's problem but part of it.
Christianity has played positive roles too in Nigeria so we can't make a blanket condemnation in this issue.
awkwardly..i agree with you!
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Seun(m): 12:12am On Oct 24, 2016
My beef with religion is that it promotes this mindset: "I know I am right and nothing you can say or show me could possibly change my mind".

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Nobody: 1:13am On Oct 24, 2016
Take a good look at the attached. This is what Brigham said. Religion is not to blame for the problems. Its not to blame for our leaders looting us dry. Its to blame for the fact that we refuse to do anything about it. When we encounter one problem or the other, instead of solving it, religion tells us that it is one witch or uncle in the village that is holding back our destiny. See the thread where a woman with a rare disease that made her stomach to swell was burnt to death and called an evil witch. It is religion that tells us there is one la-la land waiting for us somewhere, therefore, we are content with mediocrity. That is how religion is a problem in Nigeria.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Facts About Praise / Pastor Kisses Female Church Members Asses For Husband. Pic Not For Faint Hearted / My Invisibility Spell "Charm" Live Demonstration (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.