Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? (1494 Views)

Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 / To All Atheists In The House! / Atheists In The House, Come In (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by YOLO1(m): 12:32pm On Oct 23, 2016
I have stopped going to church since 2014 but I officially renounced Christianity early this year. To be sincere with you, being a free man isn't a easy task. Though I have this inner joy and satisfaction within me but am still not happy the way my friends and family treat me.
First thing that happened when I renounced my former religion is real hatred and acrimony among my family members. Though am of age, I still leave with my parents. Each time they wake me up for family devotion and I don't attend, the day is gonna be horror throughout. I would see the sadness and disappointment boldly written on my parents face. The worst of it is when they gcome back from church on Sundays and meet me at home. Most times, I pray for Sundays not to come cos I know what will happen on Sunday's afternoon. Really working to secure my accommodation just because of this reason as I cannot cope staying with them any longer.
Recently, my girlfriend of 4 years told me she can't continue with the relationship as her parents also doesn't subscribe to my newly-found way of life. It's a thing that shattered my heart because of the love I have for her. She has been very loving, caring and supporting and I must confess, it's difficult for me to let go of her but tactically, the relationship is over now cos we can't resolve the religious differences cos am not ready to compromise my new believe.
Finally, I have lost quite a number of friends also. Thanks to those that are still with me. Really, as someone has said on this forum, atheist don't have problem living with people of other religion (belief), it's other people that have problem living with us.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by FreshBoss007: 12:38pm On Oct 23, 2016
op.. I feel your plight though I'm a catholic Christian.. if I may ask, why did you renounce Christianity?

1 Like

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by otemanuduno: 12:50pm On Oct 23, 2016
YOLO1:
I have stopped going to church since 2014 but I officially renounced Christianity early this year. To be sincere with you, being a free man isn't a easy task. Though I have this inner joy and satisfaction within me but am still not happy the way my friends and family treat me.
First thing that happened when I renounced my former religion is real hatred and acrimony among my family members. Though am of age, I still leave with my parents. Each time they wake me up for family devotion and I don't attend, the day is gonna be horror throughout. I would see the sadness and disappointment boldly written on my parents face. The worst of it is when they gcome back from church on Sundays and meet me at home. Most times, I pray for Sundays not to come cos I know what will happen on Sunday's afternoon. Really working to secure my accommodation just because of this reason as I cannot cope staying with them any longer.
Recently, my girlfriend of 4 years told me she can't continue with the relationship as her parents also doesn't subscribe to my newly-found way of life. It's a thing that shattered my heart because of the love I have for her. She has been very loving, caring and supporting and I must confess, it's difficult for me to let go of her but tactically, the relationship is over now cos we can't resolve the religious differences cos am not ready to compromise my new believe.
Finally, I have lost quite a number of friends also. Thanks to those that are still with me. Really, as someone has said on this forum, atheist don't have problem living with people of other religion (belief), it's other people that have problem living with us.
When you jettison a belief and follow another, you will be hated and despised by the adherent of that former belief. It happened to Christians, Muslims, Hindis, Buddhist and everyone at the beginning of their belief. Christians were tortured by Judaism. Muslims were rejected by Zoroastrianism until Muslim got more power than them and killed them. Christians killed all the Mithraics, Stoics, Judaism when they got over power by Constantine. Even when other churches wanted to form from Catholicism, they were persecuted and killed. Catholics and Christians killed our early scientists too. Jehovah's witness were ridiculed by Christians. Sintoism didnt allow Christiainity in their territory. Muslims killed Buddhists and Hinduists in India.

However, just try to key in with others for now. Don't make your atheism too known. After all atheism isn't a religion, but A DISBELIEF IN ANY KNOWN god such as Yahweh, vishnu, Odin etc. Don't tell people around you what your are. Just DO GOOD... THAT'S THE KEYWORD.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by hahn(m): 2:39pm On Oct 23, 2016
Funny how people who claim their religion is all about love tend to show hatred to people who do not "believe" blindly like they do

Jesus would be proud undecided

Nice one otemanuduno. How is Bongo? smiley

10 Likes

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by raphieMontella: 3:24pm On Oct 23, 2016
YOLO1:
well...you may slow down on who you tell about your atheism...
Religiousity Most times is a factor of getting a High profile Job(if you're not in one) and other stuffs etc...
I believe the best time to fully state one's atheism is when one has finally ''settled''----Your own Family.....
On the relationship..well if she's the one you truly ''love'' and religion is just the problem...you can ''feign'' being a christian till you're settled...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 23, 2016
I feel your pain; brother.

This is still the major problem facing Atheists in Nigeria for now; there is too much opposition; too little enlightment and misunderstanding of the word "ATHEIST".

It's gonna take a while before atheism will start its kickoff in Nigeria.

OP; I would advice you to stay cool with your parents. Behave as before, and be carefree with them. Try as much as possible to avoid discussions involving religion for now. Sooner or later; they will come to accept the fact that you have not suddenly developed horns or gone morally depraved.

Just hang on bro; hang on.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by Seun(m): 8:54pm On Oct 23, 2016
I think atheists' best strategy for success is to stick together. We should befriend each other, date each other, etc. We like to think of ourselves as being unique but the truth is that we have so much in common. Atheists get along extremely well because we all use the same system to figure out what is true and, because of that, we tend to arrive at the same answers. Even when we disagree, our disagreements tend to be in areas where the facts are not so clear, so our differences of opinion do not bother us at all. We are not dogmatic. Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins totally disagree on whether we can get morals from science, but it's a pleasant disagreement. There will be no bitter quarrels over this monumental difference in opinion. OTOH we've seen imams fighting because one of them dared to suggest that the hijab is not compulsory.

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by Pidggin(f): 9:38pm On Oct 23, 2016
YOLO1:
I have stopped going to church since 2014 but officially renounced Christianity early this year. To be sincere with you, being a free man isn't a easy task. Though I have this inner joy and satisfaction within me but am still not happy the way my friends and family treat me.

Okay, since you are a Freeman with no religion I don't understand why you are posting this in the religion section

1 Like

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 23, 2016
Post created at 12:00 and no response from OP since then. I'm calling it now, another 'religious' troll. They appear every Sunday.

1 Like

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 23, 2016
Guy no be lie oh. Religious people really hate atheist ohh. Even more than traditional worshippers. I was once in a program when a member of the church asked the pastor a question concerning a question his atheist friend asked him about God. The question itself was stupid( where was God before he created the earth), but if you see as the pastor reacted eh. It was as if they personally insulted his mother. He spoke angrily about whether the atheist knew how the hair on his head grew, or whether scientist knew how babies came about from sperm and eggs, that if you were to mix sperm and egg and place it inside a cooler would it bring forth a baby.
Chai I wanted to mad, that was one of the mist illogical statements I've heard in my life. Religion truly does stem from ignorance.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by Pidggin(f): 9:45pm On Oct 23, 2016
hahn:
Funny how people who claim their religion is all about love tend to show hatred to people who do not "believe" blindly like they do

Jesus would be proud undecided

Nice one otemanuduno. How is Bongo? smiley

This section is for those who have a religion why not look for a section that best suits your quest for freedom so we don't need to show you any such emotions as you stated above. It is a free world, move on, go where you are needed and accepted
Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by Pidggin(f): 9:53pm On Oct 23, 2016
Lennycool:
Guy no be lie oh. Religious people really hate atheist ohh. Even more than traditional worshippers. I was once in a program when a member of the church asked the pastor a question concerning a question his atheist friend asked him about God. The question itself was stupid( where was God before he created the earth), but if you see as the pastor reacted eh. It was as if they personally insulted his mother. He spoke angrily about whether the atheist knew how the hair on his head grew, or whether scientist knew how babies came about from sperm and eggs, that if you were to mix sperm and egg and place it inside a cooler would it bring forth a baby.
Chai I wanted to mad, that was one of the mist illogical statements I've heard in my life. Religion truly does stem from ignorance.

Okay, now you can cut off from all kinds of religions by avoiding religion in its entirety, this includes not hanging around religion forums, move on, why bother who is ignorant or not, it's not like being athiest will save anyone from dying or will it lead to immortality, if it all ends here for you then what are you clamoring for dear?
Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Oct 23, 2016
Pidggin:

Okay, now you can cut off from all kinds of religions by avoiding religion in its entirety, this includes not hanging around religion forums, move on, why bother who is ignorant or not, it's not like being athiest will save anyone from dying or will it lead to immortality, if it all ends here for you then what are you clamoring for dear?
The bolded is impossible in nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by Wilgrea7(m): 10:22pm On Oct 23, 2016
otemanuduno:
When you jettison a belief and follow another, you will be hated and despised by the adherent of that former belief. It happened to Christians, Muslims, Hindis, Buddhist and everyone at the beginning of their belief. Christians were tortured by Judaism. Muslims were rejected by Zoroastrianism until Muslim got more power than them and killed them. Christians killed all the Mithraics, Stoics, Judaism when they got over power by Constantine. Even when other churches wanted to form from Catholicism, they were persecuted and killed. Catholics and Christians killed our early scientists too. Jehovah's witness were ridiculed by Christians. Sintoism didnt allow Christiainity in their territory. Muslims killed Buddhists and Hinduists in India.

However, just try to key in with others for now. Don't make your atheism too known. After all atheism isn't a religion, but A DISBELIEF IN ANY KNOWN god such as Yahweh, vishnu, Odin etc. Don't tell people around you what your are. Just DO GOOD... THAT'S THE KEYWORD.

although we have contradictory beliefs, i do like the way u tell people to do good.. because it takes a wise mind to do good without expecting something from one supernatural force or the other

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by Seun(m): 11:11pm On Oct 23, 2016
Some more thoughts:
YOLO1:
I have stopped going to church since 2014 but I officially renounced Christianity early this year. To be sincere with you, being a free man isn't a easy task. Though I have this inner joy and satisfaction within me
If you listen closely, you can hear the sound of religious heads exploding at the thought of an atheist experiencing inner joy and satisfaction.

but am still not happy the way my friends and family treat me. First thing that happened when I renounced my former religion is real hatred and acrimony among my family members. Though am of age, I still leave with my parents. Each time they wake me up for family devotion and I don't attend, the day is gonna be horror throughout. I would see the sadness and disappointment boldly written on my parents face. The worst of it is when they come back from church on Sundays and meet me at home. Most times, I pray for Sundays not to come cos I know what will happen on Sunday's afternoon. Really working to secure my accommodation just because of this reason as I cannot cope staying with them any longer.
I think I can help you with this, though I do everything wrong. Actually, this is not that difficult. (1) You need to act as if it's completely normal for you to stay at home on Sundays. Welcome them sweetly and ask them how church was. Maybe you could even casually ask them who preached and what the message was about. (2) You need to give them something to enjoy from your staying at home. For example, if you can cook, you can put yourself in charge of the food they'll eat after church. So they will come home to the aroma of delicious heathen food.

It may be best for the relationship to end, but before letting her go, I think you should put her through a few sessions of street epistemology. These are discussions in which you examine the reasons for her religious beliefs and whether they are good reasons, without judging her. Unfortunately, it seems as if she is the kind of person who can't bear to disagree with her parents, so this may not save the relationship. Why bother trying to convince a Christian or Muslim to manage you when there are non-theist ladies out there pretending to be religious?

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by Wilgrea7(m): 7:25am On Oct 24, 2016
Lennycool:
Guy no be lie oh. Religious people really hate atheist ohh. Even more than traditional worshippers. .

not true.. I'm a Christian.. my best friend is an atheist. we get along very well.. i do owe my level of knowledge and freedom from dogmatism to him because he said its not just about hearing something but verifying it to know if its true. he's an agnostic atheist. if not for him I'd probably be a dogma by now. i don't hate atheists
.. i only hate the fact that u guys claim not to believe in any God but keep attacking our beliefs
Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 24, 2016
Wilgrea7:

not true.. I'm a Christian.. my best friend is an atheist. we get along very well.. i do owe my level of knowledge and freedom from dogmatism to him because he said its not just about hearing something but verifying it to know if its true. he's an agnostic atheist. if not for him I'd probably be a dogma by now. i don't hate atheists
.. i only hate the fact that u guys claim not to believe in any God but keep attacking our beliefs
Then bro you're the exception, the vast majority still hate atheist. We don't attack beliefs we attack the impossible and improbable, no one attacks the Christians right to
* Not lie
* Not have ave sex till marriage
* dress modestly
* in some cases not eat certain food stuffs.
We respect all this as it is an individuals choice

But when you start believing that
* All the animals on earth survived because they entered a boat in the middle east and stayed there for half a year on latitudes higher than mountains.

*A man commanded the sun to stop in the sky, basically stopping the earth's rotation and yet not observed by other advanced cultures
* A whale swallowed a man for three days and he didn't die
* That the world is ending so every thing is the sign of end time.
We attack all these and more. Have your belief but please keep your logic.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by Wilgrea7(m): 8:06am On Oct 24, 2016
Lennycool:

Then bro you're the exception, the vast majority still hate atheist. We don't attack beliefs we attack the impossible and improbable, no one attacks the Christians right to
* Not lie
* dress modestly

* All the animals on earth survived because they entered a boat in the middle east and stayed there for half a year on latitudes higher than mountains.

*A man commanded the sun to stop in the sky, basically stopping the earth's rotation and yet not observed by other advanced cultures

you have a point..
concerning the story of Noah, i don't totally agree with the fact that the flood lasted for so long. I've read the epic of Gilgamesh.. their flood story has so many similarities with ours but theirs lasted for 6 days.. as to the animals, I'm not sure. even if the story is a myth it adds nothing to my faith really.. so i don't bother myself about it

concerning the jonah, the bible didn't say it was a whale. also, there is a video i watched about a man swallowed by a huge fish also. this one occurred in this our modern time.. i think it was last year.. he was there for about 3 days also

i will definitely keep my logic.. i can't do without logic.. if not for logic i wouldnt be where i am today.
thanks
Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by GRIMMJOE(m): 8:12am On Oct 24, 2016
Lennycool:

* Not lie
* dress modestly

Don't waste your life,this is what a typical failure will say

1.God created the animals so he protected, and they didn't need much food,at high altitude they felt spiritual heat

2. Even if the earth stop rotation we won't die and a natural disaster won't occur just that some continent will experience day while others night.

3.The water contain oxygen I.e H2O the whale filtered the H and left O(oxygen) for him to breath

4.Read Revelations and listen carefully God is whispering on to you.
Jesus loved you,he died for the sin of you didn't commit,after all we are all born in sin,so think of all those babies,infant,foetus are all going to hell,you have been given the opportunity to REPENT! REPENT!! REPENT!!!
Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by braithwaite(m): 9:05am On Oct 24, 2016
Seun:
I think atheists' best strategy for success is to stick together. We should befriend each other, date each other, etc. We like to think of ourselves as being unique but the truth is that we have so much in common. Atheists get along extremely well because we all use the same system to figure out what is true and, because of that, we tend to arrive at the same answers. Even when we disagree, our disagreements tend to be in areas where the facts are not so clear, so our differences of opinion do not bother us at all. We are not dogmatic. Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins totally disagree on whether we can get morals from science, but it's a pleasant disagreement. There will be no bitter quarrels over this monumental difference in opinion. OTOH we've seen imams fighting because one of them dared to suggest that the hijab is not compulsory.

Yeah.. you right.. but the Nigerian society isn't ripe enough for such.. with time it will

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by braithwaite(m): 9:14am On Oct 24, 2016

Op. atheist shouldn't be scared or fearful of any hatred coming from the religious folks..

Be yourself, don't go about screaming you're an atheist,
If you need deabating with any religious folks,relate freely,gently and unharming.if they tend to get offended by your facts.. apologize and let them be..

1 Like

Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by braithwaite(m): 9:23am On Oct 24, 2016
GRIMMJOE:
Don't waste your life,this is what a typical failure will say

1.God created the animals so he protected, and they didn't need much food,at high altitude they felt spiritual heat

2. Even if the earth stop rotation we won't die and a natural disaster won't occur just that some continent will experience day while others night.

3.The water contain oxygen I.e H2O the whale filtered the H and left O(oxygen) for him to breath

4.Read Revelations and listen carefully God is whispering on to you.
Jesus loved you,he died for the sin of you didn't commit,after all we are all born in sin,so think of all those babies,infant,foetus are all going to hell,you have been given the opportunity to REPENT! REPENT!! REPENT!!!

Now.. let me ask you a simple question..
Who is God?
And who is Jesus?

Your BIBLES mixed up both..you mind clarifying?

[b][/b]
Re: Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Oct 24, 2016
Wilgrea7:

you have a point..
concerning the story of Noah, i don't totally agree with the fact that the flood lasted for so long. I've read the epic of Gilgamesh.. their flood story has so many similarities with ours but theirs lasted for 6 days.. as to the animals, I'm not sure. even if the story is a myth it adds nothing to my faith really.. so i don't bother myself about it

concerning the jonah, the bible didn't say it was a whale. also, there is a video i watched about a man swallowed by a huge fish also. this one occurred in this our modern time.. i think it was last year.. he was there for about 3 days also

i will definitely keep my logic.. i can't do without logic.. if not for logic i wouldnt be where i am today.
thanks
Whales are the only creatures large enough, but even at that it is still flawed, the whale shark can't even swallow a watermelon as its esophagusesophagus is too small, the whales that can would probably chew you up as their mouths aren't that big, and even if you managed to enter its stomach there is no air there and you would die in minutes.
The Bible is filled with fairy tales and violence.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Money Evocation / Clinical Dietary Supplements from GNLD/NEOLIFE International / Mfm Messages: Dr D.k Olukoya 2018 – Deliverance From Ancestral Foundations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.