Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,869 members, 7,798,905 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:05 PM

Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN (16998 Views)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie At Paris Fashion Week (Photos) / Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by tuzle(m): 6:35am On Oct 24, 2016
i dont think so. But she should at least be most girls role model

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by Nobody: 6:35am On Oct 24, 2016
who is she? where's she from? who she epp?
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by saintdennis(m): 6:36am On Oct 24, 2016
Lols... most influential in Africa? Someone based in America?

Lmao

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by emeka2847: 6:37am On Oct 24, 2016
Please go and check. 'Most influential' is not about knowing big people, occupying big office or having western connections. It is about how many people have opinion about you, whether love or hate. It is about the discussions your statement or opinion can generate around the world. That's why Shekau was on the list a few years ago and people made so much noise about 'ojoro' by the West to promote Shekau. But at that time Shekau and BH were shaking the whole world.

At the moment, Adichie's name is everywhere. There are even many other women ahead of NOI sef. When last did you see NOI's opinion being discussed? When last did she make headlines?

Built2last:
How do this people arrive at this most influential this influential that.

21st century media na wash. 54 countries make up Africa. You say she is most influential. How did you arrive at that biko. Not hating. Am asking the media.

If you say Ngozi okonjo iweala known by almost all heads of government in Africa. Known by all multinationals in Africa and still soaring at the global stage. Atleast she has an impeccable resume, I will understand but Chimamanda. ..naaa. she is still coming up.

7 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by Ranchhoddas: 6:41am On Oct 24, 2016
Una never hear of Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf abi?
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by Fenzyflames: 6:45am On Oct 24, 2016
John Sirleaf? NOI? Just watching
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by Chudichu(m): 6:45am On Oct 24, 2016
Most influential? But how? Based on what? I would go with Folorunsho Alakija, President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Nigerian former minister of finance. Most people don't even know this Chimamanda Ngozi.
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by cococandy(f): 6:47am On Oct 24, 2016
She will soon be
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by martineinstein(m): 6:49am On Oct 24, 2016
CNN aka CLINTON NEWS NETWORK is drunk.....what influence does she have?
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by rabex123(m): 6:50am On Oct 24, 2016
onomefm:
(CNN)Nigerian novelist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was named as the new face of Boots No7 beauty range, Tuesday, further securing her position as one of the most influential African women in the world.

The move is more than a meaningless celebrity endorsement. Adichie's love of makeup is no secret: "I love make-up and its wonderful possibilities for temporary transformation. "And I also love my face after I wash it all off," she said in a statement published in British Vogue.

"There is something exquisitely enjoyable about seeing yourself with a self-made new look.
"And for me that look is deeply personal. It isn't about what is in fashion or what the rules are supposed to be."
Related video: Turning 'Half of a Yellow Sun' into film

Adichie has not hidden her issues with the beauty industry. Like many women of color in the spotlight, she has previously admitted to carrying her own foundation with her at all times, in case the makeup artist does not have her shade.
She has also spoken about the false promises peddled to women to world over. "I think much of beauty advertising relies on a false premise -- that women need to be treated in an infantile way, given a 'fantasy' to aspire to..." she said in an interview with British Vogue.
"Real women are already inspired by other real women, so perhaps beauty advertising needs to get on board."
The public seem to think Boots got it right with Adichie, choosing someone that is both relatable and influential.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/19/africa/chimamanda-adichie-influence-africa/index.html?sr=cnnitw
Their opinion
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 24, 2016
Mynd44:
Not even in the other room cheesy
you're not serious
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by President99: 7:00am On Oct 24, 2016
Honsestly speaking, I am a good fan of this lady but she is not the most influential woman in Africa not even in her Igbo land abeg! Atimes these people will make one double check the meaning of influence and influential in one's dictionary to be sure of what those words mean! Who can she influence and what is the percentage compare to other ladies? Africans r largely illiterates and this lady is a writer.
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by Chudichu(m): 7:00am On Oct 24, 2016
emeka2847:
Please go and check. 'Most influential' is not about knowing big people, occupying big office or having western connections. It is about how many people have opinion about you, whether love or hate. It is about the discussions your statement or opinion can generate around the world. That's why Shekau was on the list a few years ago and people made so much noise about 'ojoro' by the West to promote Shekau. But at that time Shekau and BH were shaking the whole world.

At the moment, Adichie's name is everywhere. There are even many other women ahead of NOI sef. When last did you see NOI's opinion being discussed? When last did she make headlines?

Then why is Dangote one of the most powerful men in Africa? Been influential requires connection in place that matter, hold sway in serious places. Even our former minister of finance was once among the top most powerful people in the world. Adichie isn't exactly that popular in Africa as you say, although she has a voice, I also agree that sometimes connection isn't all this required to be influential. Like Beyonce and Co, but I think in Africa Adichie is still an upcoming name.

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by nwabobo: 7:12am On Oct 24, 2016
emeka2847:
[b]There are even many other women ahead of NOI [/b]sef. When last did you see NOI's opinion being discussed? When last did she make headlines?

Please, who are those women?
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by Kingsley1000(m): 7:20am On Oct 24, 2016
shez very intelligent
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by awakeuche(m): 7:20am On Oct 24, 2016
Built2last:
How do this people arrive at this most influential this influential that.

21st century media na wash. 54 countries make up Africa. You say she is most influential. How did you arrive at that biko. Not hating. Am asking the media.

If you say Ngozi okonjo iweala known by almost all heads of government in Africa. Known by all multinationals in Africa and still soaring at the global stage. Atleast she has an impeccable resume, I will understand but Chimamanda. ..naaa. she is still coming up.
just negodu what you just quipped, the word influential already means someone who affects people in a major way.... Chimamanda is already a symbol of feminism personified, has written books that speaks to millions, giving women a stage to be heard especially black women.... Her input is respected by every institution in fashion, industry, science etc. Has two major motion pictures to her credit and has won more international awards than most at her relative young age... Ngozi okonjo is ranked up there too but go to america and ask about her, don't be surprised they'd all come up blank

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by Kingsley1000(m): 7:22am On Oct 24, 2016
Fenzyflames:
John Sirleaf? NOI? Just watching
NOI is a criminal.....forget the ministerial portfolio she had
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by Kingsley1000(m): 7:24am On Oct 24, 2016
cococandy:
She will soon be
that's so true
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by MrGerald(m): 7:31am On Oct 24, 2016
onomefm:
(CNN)Nigerian novelist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was named as the new face of Boots No7 beauty range, Tuesday, further securing her position as one of the most influential African women in the world.

The move is more than a meaningless celebrity endorsement. Adichie's love of makeup is no secret: "I love make-up and its wonderful possibilities for temporary transformation. "And I also love my face after I wash it all off," she said in a statement published in British Vogue.

"There is something exquisitely enjoyable about seeing yourself with a self-made new look.
"And for me that look is deeply personal. It isn't about what is in fashion or what the rules are supposed to be."
Related video: Turning 'Half of a Yellow Sun' into film

Adichie has not hidden her issues with the beauty industry. Like many women of color in the spotlight, she has previously admitted to carrying her own foundation with her at all times, in case the makeup artist does not have her shade.
She has also spoken about the false promises peddled to women to world over. "I think much of beauty advertising relies on a false premise -- that women need to be treated in an infantile way, given a 'fantasy' to aspire to..." she said in an interview with British Vogue.
"Real women are already inspired by other real women, so perhaps beauty advertising needs to get on board."
The public seem to think Boots got it right with Adichie, choosing someone that is both relatable and influential.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/19/africa/chimamanda-adichie-influence-africa/index.html?sr=cnnitw
"One of the most influential" not most influential pls pple get that.
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by nellyelitz(m): 7:43am On Oct 24, 2016
what of our queens English min. of finance...Adeosun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by MtuMsuper: 7:45am On Oct 24, 2016
Africa isn't a monolith.
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by Fenzyflames: 7:52am On Oct 24, 2016
Kingsley1000:
NOI is a criminal.....forget the ministerial portfolio she had
were you the competent court of jurisdiction that convicted her? Say some'in

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by kayo80(m): 8:03am On Oct 24, 2016
saintdennis:
Lols... most influential in Africa? Someone based in America?

Lmao

lol! grin
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by emijo(m): 8:04am On Oct 24, 2016
Most of these dullards saying that she is not influential are mostly those who don't read.
If you care to know, most of her books are read across the world.
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by wildchild1: 8:12am On Oct 24, 2016
Maybe/Maybe not

Check my signature
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by Call07034780891: 8:25am On Oct 24, 2016
Omambala born Chimamanda has brought Africa to the world stage..
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by lecksam(m): 8:26am On Oct 24, 2016
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by nbright: 8:32am On Oct 24, 2016
Rilwayne001:
To me, NOI is the most influential woman in Africa. That woman is my role model wink wink
thought you were a 'zonebee'?
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by Rilwayne001: 8:35am On Oct 24, 2016
nbright:
thought you were a 'zonebee'?
Ayam not
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by oluamid(m): 8:41am On Oct 24, 2016
Nigerians have this overbloated ego of always wanting to be king/queen everywhere and the foreign media is feeding into that. Else, how would you say Chimamanda Adichie (no disrespect) is the most influential woman in Africa? What happened to the female presidents in the continent? What happened to someone like Angelique Kidjo? If we are even talking Nigeria, What happened to people like NOI, Alakija or even Aisha Buhari?

Being popular in Nigeria doesn't automatically translates to being popular in the whole of Africa. Nigeria is but a single country out of 52 and asides her population, she pretty much has nothing else going for her in the continent presently.

We need to get off our high horse and realize Nigeria isn't Africa. I doubt Chimamanda is even the most influential woman in her state not to talk of in the whole of the country and least of all, Africa.
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN by MissingBudget: 8:45am On Oct 24, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:

grin grin grin grin

Nwanne I live in Owerri o, from Ikeduru. Whenever campaign kicks off, I will be available!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 46th Birthday Today / So You Betrayed Me-a Christian Fiction / Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.