Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,019 members, 7,799,478 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? (56722 Views)

SUV Carrying US Holiday Makers Plunges Into River In South Africa (Photos) / How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Any Nigerian In Georgia? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by fisidstory: 5:35pm On Nov 20, 2013
I arrived south Africa in dec 28 2006,the Nigerian driver who picked me up at the airport charged me 200USD to take me to ormonde south of Johannesburg.that was about 3 times the fare at that time.shows how Nigerians eat each other.luckily I didn't have to pay rent as an uncle already own a house.for 8 on this didn't get a job.however all I did at that time was to tell myself I'm just beginning again.i put my masters degree certificate under my bed and trained as a waiter.trained as a chef but never got a job.every employer thought I was up to no good.A Nigerian waiter was just out to steal money at the till or credit card details.after few attempts,I decided to look for a teaching job.every application was declined but I didn't give up.my gal friend then used me for prostitution.the proceeds ousted to evaluate my certificate.every type of evaluation needed to be a teacher I did.i was discouraged by many Nigerians that I will never get a job but I didn't give up.on every small change I get,I make copies of my CV and move from streets to streets.told myself I won't steal.do drugs or get involved in any negative vice.it was tough.went hungry for days.had to sleep with my gal friends friends to be able to get cash for my next taxi fare and photocopy my CV.luck smiled on me one day.i was called by a mushroom school.my salary was R1500.at the end of the month I was paid R600.sometimes R800,or if lucky R1500 as agreed.many I told said I must give up.they said hustling on the street was better.i didn't heed.while I was at the school,an ex employee a SA citizen came to recruit us to work with Johannesburg housing company.they needed part time workers to work after hours we'd thurs fri 3-5 for R2500 after tax.this means that whatever stipend I got from the high sch was my transport which was R250 a month anyways and could leave on the extra salary.was paired with another SA citizen an HOD in a high school who also took the job for extra income.God helped me.i showed and portrayed myself a an example of a good Nigerian.we became good family friends and she was able to trust me.long and short of it was she got me a permanent job with the national department of education as a science teacher.im now a public servant in a foreign land.many chains of events happened.by that job I Immediatly got my permanent residence brought my wife and kids in bought my own houses my own cars and now living very very good to Gods glory.the message here is that never give up.its too risky not to take calculated risk.be skilled before going on a journey.you must have something of value to contribute to that country.we must always see ourselves as ambassadors of our country.had it been I missed that opportunity with my HOD pair and acted as a toughie I would have missed the opportunity .a
So never listen to voice of dissent.many people discouraged me on my way.at every step.but I was determined to stay on course.i spent every cent to put my papers right and invest in my future than eating.this is my own story.my journey.however in life ours is different.i still believe tough I'm south African by document my heart and that of my children who though hates Nigeria cos of no light poor roads and detest to go home cos of dis organized environment...our heart still Nigerian.thans

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by youngbilly1: 2:36pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ima write in pidgin make i come down your level smiley @ op

This one of the dumbest post have ever seen from the dumbest person damn you suck man!!!

When you arrived South Africa no be or tambo airport you land? Abi na ABC transport bring you come southy. First compare the airport to mmia security and immigration staffs even the Gautang train station/ interstate Bus terminal fine and well organised pass MMiA.

You say there's nothing good about south africa that many people are suffering....bro when you got to sa you lived with people that are suffering am sorry to say...people living in Alexander, jb, they never brought you to places like south gate, jb or petoria or sandton, fourways many others....you lived in the slum where there's insecurity and you complain say southy no goood. Park well oooo.

When was coming to sa lotta people told me its bad they kill, they blah blah blah, but when I came here I realised its the slums they kill or rob or whatever. Everywhere in the world there re slums. Its like going to East St louis, IL USA or Camden, Nj USA you will end up saying usa is a bad country too. Like I said everywhere in the world there are dangerous places.
Talking about

1. Education: South Africa is one of the best place I will advise to study or goto Europe...am here studing Architecture 3yrs where in nigeria is 5yrs in USA its 4-5 yrs in UK its 3yrs. When I graduate I will be given a hons and registered under the architect association of SA which is registered in uk. Cost of study for me is more about N700,000 per session in Uj in Nija money. And check it online the best 5 universities in Africa is from SA. So why goto covenant university Nigeria pay N600,000 or ABTI Nigeria spending more than a million naira.

2. JOB
There are Jobs here basically skilled jobs...you have an upper hand when you graduate from their university you can apply for a job as a foreigner. If you are travelling out of the country you should condsider if your educational certificate can be be accepted or can you defend what you have. I will advise anyone traveling aboard to work. When you get to the country be it usa or sa or uk or whatever its best you do an additional 1yr certificate course to support your bsc or btech or whatever.
To get your Work permit in SA is easy just have your money when I first came to sa i applied for work permit i was given with the help of my friend who is a travel agent over there and got a job in Egars

3. Infrastructures...mehn perfect for a developing country. Very good place to take a vacation. For my life i never fly private helicopter before for naija na rich men dey fly am. When I came to South Africa I flew a private chopper for R800 thats about N10000 it took me to soweto, Johannesburg CBD, and other places, I must tell you south africa is a good place if you have people who advise you well.

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by DANNIEmore: 10:28am On Nov 23, 2013
Thank you so much youngbilly1.
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by youngbilly1: 4:36pm On Nov 23, 2013
DANNIE-more:
Thank you so much youngbilly1. Please, can one use 9ja Bsc to work in South Africa without going to school there first or what is the criteria?

its 40% percent you get a good paying job...I will advise you do masters and get a working permit and also be a good nigerian trustworthy and honest. ..the word nigerian to some bosses are like bad egg to the company.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by NadiaSA1(f): 4:40pm On Nov 23, 2013
We dey hustle..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by DANNIEmore: 9:51pm On Nov 23, 2013
Ok thanks so much but do you mean doing a masters there in SA or here in 9ja?
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by vitus101: 9:04pm On Dec 03, 2013
Well, there's no country in the world without her ups and downs.. Nigeria has few ups and many downs.. You finish school here and its hard to get jobs..our standard of living is poor,poor electricity supply,bad roads etc.

These conditions are enough reasons amongst others to flee from this country..

Many pple become stranded and frustrated abroad because of their mentality. There's no country in the world where money falls from the sky. The only difference is,you get good reward for labour abroad unlike what obtains here.

Many pple go abroad with the wrong mentality.. They want to hit it big in a very short time frame. When this doesn't happen,they become frustrated and miserable. Be ready to start small.

As for me, I want to see S.A someday. Start a family there and make something for myself in a strange land.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by OFAD: 10:16pm On Dec 15, 2013
ALL I KNOW IS I WANT TO LIVE A CORRUPT FREE LIFE ANY WHERE I GO..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by youngbilly1: 11:16pm On Dec 15, 2013
OFAD: ALL I KNOW IS I WANT TO LIVE A CORRUPT FREE LIFE ANY WHERE I GO..

eer country is corrupt mr man

1 Like

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by OluomoChampion(m): 10:03pm On Dec 16, 2013
faakay:

hmm, I feel you bro, Nice one

He is really lucky and because he was also talented & skillful, I believe he met God intervention cool

Everybody with his own destiny

Jonah case was different:::

This situation doesn't apply to everybody ooo,
God meets everybody at his/her own point of need in different ways. So stop being pessimistic saying his own case was different

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by harlyon(m): 5:38pm On Jul 28, 2014
Hmmm
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by tpiadotcom: 6:29am On May 06, 2015
Hm
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by kajoula(m): 9:27am On Oct 20, 2015
For anyone thinking of coming to South Africa from Nigeria, you better do your home work well. Otherwise you will regret at last.

To be fair and honest to South Africa, there are some very nice and wonderful people out there, but they are greatly outnumbered by the bigots among them. I live and work in South Africa and I’ve observed a bias pattern in judicial procedures and policing as regards to corruption and crime prevention.

My assertions are based on my day to day experience and observation as a resident. I have no statistical analysis of the Nigerian population living in South Africa neither do I have the exact figures or nationality of the number of cases prosecuted by the South African judiciary.

From the Nigerian side, the easterners (Igbos) out-number other ethnic groups within the Nigerian community here. That’s why most Nigerians you meet are from the east. A lot (of) Nigerians you meet are not in South Africa to study, though they are enrolled in one college or another, they are semi-illiterates or outright illiterates, very lousy, brash and arrogant (for reasons I don’t understand). Then we have the stranded group who were duped by travel agents into thinking the pasture in South Africa is greener.

In short, you meet criminals of all shapes, size and age. They just sleep, eat, wake up, and hope the next “Mugu” pays. They are so much, you’ll think all Nigerians living in South Africa are criminals, but we have bright students doing well and graduating in South African Universities, we have gainfully employed graduates trained by South Africans themselves (few) and business men and women doing legitimate business exporting goods to and from Nigeria (also few compared to the population of the Nigerian community). But the dot.com or Yahoo boys and drug traffickers are so high in number it seems they’ve all relocated from Nigeria to South Africa. Conditions here favor them.

Basic infrastructure is great here compared to what we have in Nigeria. 24 hours electricity, running water, well laid roads, affordable high speed internet, compact 3/4 bedroom apartment, affordable furniture, little or no scrutiny on international remittance etc. South Africa is a Yahoo Boy’s paradise. Though, most foreigners especially new comers call them as lazy and stupid .

On the South African side, you’ll meet the White Supremacist. A white bigot, loud, aggressive and assertive. He (male and female) hates Blacks and despises Nigerians in particular. He wants to protect the “sanctity” of White superiority; State resources are at his disposal. His opinion and interest supersedes that of others. His ancestors are the second settlers in South Africa. His interpretation of the freedom dictates and guides that the White community must be in control of economic power in South Africa. His favourite question when he meets you for the first time in class or anywhere he sees you provided your black is “Are you a Nigerian?”. He runs the country economically and he knows the “risk” of doing any business with most Nigerians.

Then we have the South African indigenous Chauvinist or the BEE boy, a business tycoon/ hard working student. Drives flashy cars, he believes his ancestors are the real owners of the South. He is rich and he has read stories of Nigerians using South African girls as drug mules, black/chemical money stories; he has seen or read of stranded Nigerians who loiter around the streets of Hillbrow begging for money (these stranded guys don’t shower, so they stink). He cringes when you happen to be in the same elevator, crosses to the other side of the road when you are walking towards each other and always thinks you need something from him any time you try to talk to him. He has held on to so many Nigerian horrible stories and thinks every Nigerian is like that.

Then, we have the Angry Jews, always pissed off and mean-mugging you. He has been discriminated against so much that even his language is not included in the country’s ATM machine .He is always trying to pick fights with you and the first comment he makes is “THIS IS MY COUNTRY!”. He’ll smash his crash helmet on you at the slightest provocation or stab you. He also reads of atrocities committed by Nigerians and sees you as a threat.

So, living in South Africa has made me a racism connoisseur of sought. In fact, I have become so sensitive that I believe I can tell if an individual is racist within a few seconds of being around him or her. There are people in South Africa whose sole purpose in life is just to ruin your day. Racism in South Africa is perfect. It is subtle when it needs to be and brass when necessary.

As a foreigner you might be misled into thinking South Africa is a boring place and no one gives a damn about you, so you can do whatever you like and get away with it. No, you are seriously mistaken. South Africa sometimes feels like the Islamic Republic of Iran we watch on T.V. Some citizens are very nosy and they watch and observe every move you make. I read a news article some weeks ago that says about 80% of Police personnel don’t do normal Policing but rather, spy and gather intelligence.

So, my point is this: South Africa is a tightly controlled society where the authorities decide what business prospers, whether legal or otherwise. Elements within the certain faceless authorities control the drug trade, the distributors are under their command and they arrest them when it’s politically needed to unite the country against a common enemy. We hear of stories of Cuban and Libyan drug traffickers who are quietly deported and warned never to return to South Africa but other nationalities are shown off as trophy in front of news men who broadcast and publish sensational news headlines.

SADEC countries are united against drug trafficking and they hold meetings regularly to discuss new strategies on deterrent, Life imprisonment. But our boys would not listen. Too bad.

In all fairness to the South African authorities , Whatever measures they take to combat drug trafficking in this country could be justified considering that foreigners have turned their teenage girls into drug addicts.

Nigerians in South Africa: please behave ethically because God and justice will judge at the end of time.

Chika, a Nigerian, writes from Republic of South Africa

15 Likes

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by Smartlife(m): 12:58am On Oct 21, 2015
kajoula:
For anyone thinking of coming to South Africa from Nigeria, you better do your home work well. Otherwise you will regret at last.

To be fair and honest to South Africa, there are some very nice and wonderful people out there, but they are greatly outnumbered by the bigots among them. I live and work in South Africa and I’ve observed a bias pattern in judicial procedures and policing as regards to corruption and crime prevention.

My assertions are based on my day to day experience and observation as a resident. I have no statistical analysis of the Nigerian population living in South Africa neither do I have the exact figures or nationality of the number of cases prosecuted by the South African judiciary.

From the Nigerian side, the easterners (Igbos) out-number other ethnic groups within the Nigerian community here. That’s why most Nigerians you meet are from the east. A lot (of) Nigerians you meet are not in South Africa to study, though they are enrolled in one college or another, they are semi-illiterates or outright illiterates, very lousy, brash and arrogant (for reasons I don’t understand). Then we have the stranded group who were duped by travel agents into thinking the pasture in South Africa is greener.

In short, you meet criminals of all shapes, size and age. They just sleep, eat, wake up, and hope the next “Mugu” pays. They are so much, you’ll think all Nigerians living in South Africa are criminals, but we have bright students doing well and graduating in South African Universities, we have gainfully employed graduates trained by South Africans themselves (few) and business men and women doing legitimate business exporting goods to and from Nigeria (also few compared to the population of the Nigerian community). But the dot.com or Yahoo boys and drug traffickers are so high in number it seems they’ve all relocated from Nigeria to South Africa. Conditions here favor them.

Basic infrastructure is great here compared to what we have in Nigeria. 24 hours electricity, running water, well laid roads, affordable high speed internet, compact 3/4 bedroom apartment, affordable furniture, little or no scrutiny on international remittance etc. South Africa is a Yahoo Boy’s paradise. Though, most foreigners especially new comers call them as lazy and stupid .

On the South African side, you’ll meet the White Supremacist. A white bigot, loud, aggressive and assertive. He (male and female) hates Blacks and despises Nigerians in particular. He wants to protect the “sanctity” of White superiority; State resources are at his disposal. His opinion and interest supersedes that of others. His ancestors are the second settlers in South Africa. His interpretation of the freedom dictates and guides that the White community must be in control of economic power in South Africa. His favourite question when he meets you for the first time in class or anywhere he sees you provided your black is “Are you a Nigerian?”. He runs the country economically and he knows the “risk” of doing any business with most Nigerians.

Then we have the South African indigenous Chauvinist or the BEE boy, a business tycoon/ hard working student. Drives flashy cars, he believes his ancestors are the real owners of the South. He is rich and he has read stories of Nigerians using South African girls as drug mules, black/chemical money stories; he has seen or read of stranded Nigerians who loiter around the streets of Hillbrow begging for money (these stranded guys don’t shower, so they stink). He cringes when you happen to be in the same elevator, crosses to the other side of the road when you are walking towards each other and always thinks you need something from him any time you try to talk to him. He has held on to so many Nigerian horrible stories and thinks every Nigerian is like that.

Then, we have the Angry Jews, always pissed off and mean-mugging you. He has been discriminated against so much that even his language is not included in the country’s ATM machine .He is always trying to pick fights with you and the first comment he makes is “THIS IS MY COUNTRY!”. He’ll smash his crash helmet on you at the slightest provocation or stab you. He also reads of atrocities committed by Nigerians and sees you as a threat.

So, living in South Africa has made me a racism connoisseur of sought. In fact, I have become so sensitive that I believe I can tell if an individual is racist within a few seconds of being around him or her. There are people in South Africa whose sole purpose in life is just to ruin your day. Racism in South Africa is perfect. It is subtle when it needs to be and brass when necessary.

As a foreigner you might be misled into thinking South Africa is a boring place and no one gives a damn about you, so you can do whatever you like and get away with it. No, you are seriously mistaken. South Africa sometimes feels like the Islamic Republic of Iran we watch on T.V. Some citizens are very nosy and they watch and observe every move you make. I read a news article some weeks ago that says about 80% of Police personnel don’t do normal Policing but rather, spy and gather intelligence.

So, my point is this: South Africa is a tightly controlled society where the authorities decide what business prospers, whether legal or otherwise. Elements within the certain faceless authorities control the drug trade, the distributors are under their command and they arrest them when it’s politically needed to unite the country against a common enemy. We hear of stories of Cuban and Libyan drug traffickers who are quietly deported and warned never to return to South Africa but other nationalities are shown off as trophy in front of news men who broadcast and publish sensational news headlines.

SADEC countries are united against drug trafficking and they hold meetings regularly to discuss new strategies on deterrent, Life imprisonment. But our boys would not listen. Too bad.

In all fairness to the South African authorities , Whatever measures they take to combat drug trafficking in this country could be justified considering that foreigners have turned their teenage girls into drug addicts.

Nigerians in South Africa: please behave ethically because God and justice will judge at the end of time.

Chika, a Nigerian, writes from Republic of South Africa

Love you!! Chika

1 Like

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by ashiwaju11(m): 11:37am On Apr 28, 2016
I wrote an article on the three categories of Nigerians in South Africa: The Globetrotters, The Pros & The Wanderers. You will definitely find it interesting. The Globetrotters are the "Ajala travel all over the world" smiley, the Wanderers are those who will risk everything to get to Europe or America but first start by transiting from different African countries and lastly are the Nigerian professionals.

You can read the rest of the article from www.lagostojozi.com

Title: (Nigerians in South Africa: The Globetrotters, The Pros & The Wanderers)
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by Nobody: 9:58am On Apr 29, 2016
olubunmi80:
i think the poster is an igbo man (lol).they the ones spoiling Nigerians in south Africa. i was there for 3 wks last year on vacation and truthfully i didnt want to come back. i stayed in jo'burg and Capetown. the poster should have visited place s like sandton and he he wil see Nigerians working and living fine at malls like sandton mall and village walk, in Capetown Nigerians are also there living well and doing good.
infact my friend that i went to visit in capetown stays in a lovely estate where there are only two blackfamilies and they re Nigerians. the husband was transffered from the company he works for here and they live comfortably there.i asked her if i can relocate there , and she explained to me thats its not easy for you to just ease in there and start working, u will ave to first pay your dues just loke anywhere else in the world.
and after a while yur hard work will pay off . every Nigerian there is not a robber , a thief or 419. its only those who migrate for the wrong reasons that suffer.
if you are insightful, u will see that SouthAfrica has good stores where u can buy things and come and ressell in nigeria . it will shock you that you can buy alot wt just $1000 in southafrica and you will make profit.
at least thats wht i did. Nigerians should learn to do the right things to avoid sufferring in another mans land.
sorry where did u buy things in shout Africa that u mk profit because I was in February I could not buy a pin everything is very cost but am planning to tk goods from Nigeria to sell in south Africa so pls can u tell me where to buy things I can sell here and mk profit?
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by Pendragon1: 9:58am On Aug 25, 2016
you could get them in shoprite or any nearest stores at cheaper rate
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by Abuforallah1(m): 8:45am On May 31, 2018
Hello � Anybody still alive here.
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by DexterousOne(m): 2:20am On Jan 09, 2020
fisidstory:
I arrived south Africa in dec 28 2006,the Nigerian driver who picked me up at the airport charged me 200USD to take me to ormonde south of Johannesburg.that was about 3 times the fare at that time.shows how Nigerians eat each other.luckily I didn't have to pay rent as an uncle already own a house.for 8 on this didn't get a job.however all I did at that time was to tell myself I'm just beginning again.i put my masters degree certificate under my bed and trained as a waiter.trained as a chef but never got a job.every employer thought I was up to no good.A Nigerian waiter was just out to steal money at the till or credit card details.after few attempts,I decided to look for a teaching job.every application was declined but I didn't give up.my gal friend then used me for prostitution.the proceeds ousted to evaluate my certificate.every type of evaluation needed to be a teacher I did.i was discouraged by many Nigerians that I will never get a job but I didn't give up.on every small change I get,I make copies of my CV and move from streets to streets.told myself I won't steal.do drugs or get involved in any negative vice.it was tough.went hungry for days.had to sleep with my gal friends friends to be able to get cash for my next taxi fare and photocopy my CV.luck smiled on me one day.i was called by a mushroom school.my salary was R1500.at the end of the month I was paid R600.sometimes R800,or if lucky R1500 as agreed.many I told said I must give up.they said hustling on the street was better.i didn't heed.while I was at the school,an ex employee a SA citizen came to recruit us to work with Johannesburg housing company.they needed part time workers to work after hours we'd thurs fri 3-5 for R2500 after tax.this means that whatever stipend I got from the high sch was my transport which was R250 a month anyways and could leave on the extra salary.was paired with another SA citizen an HOD in a high school who also took the job for extra income.God helped me.i showed and portrayed myself a an example of a good Nigerian.we became good family friends and she was able to trust me.long and short of it was she got me a permanent job with the national department of education as a science teacher.im now a public servant in a foreign land.many chains of events happened.by that job I Immediatly got my permanent residence brought my wife and kids in bought my own houses my own cars and now living very very good to Gods glory.the message here is that never give up.its too risky not to take calculated risk.be skilled before going on a journey.you must have something of value to contribute to that country.we must always see ourselves as ambassadors of our country.had it been I missed that opportunity with my HOD pair and acted as a toughie I would have missed the opportunity .a
So never listen to voice of dissent.many people discouraged me on my way.at every step.but I was determined to stay on course.i spent every cent to put my papers right and invest in my future than eating.this is my own story.my journey.however in life ours is different.i still believe tough I'm south African by document my heart and that of my children who though hates Nigeria cos of no light poor roads and detest to go home cos of dis organized environment...our heart still Nigerian.thans

Very interesting story

You made it at last

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Airpeace: Onyema On Board As Flight Attendant In Training (Video, Photo) / Onitsha From First And Second Niger Bridge (photos) / Pic: Nigeria's Presidential Jet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.