Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,837 members, 7,802,680 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:43 PM

Commonly Used Phrases That Disagrees With Programming Semantics +IQ Qs - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Commonly Used Phrases That Disagrees With Programming Semantics +IQ Qs (990 Views)

Do You Think I Can Cope With Programming Being An Anatomical Student? / What Can I Do With Programming? / Getting Started With Programming - Tips For Beginners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Commonly Used Phrases That Disagrees With Programming Semantics +IQ Qs by logicalhumour: 4:28pm On Oct 23, 2016
Sometimes I listen to people speak and I laugh...saying "ERROR" in My head.

1. You can imaging mama Ene saying to Ene "Go and take your bathe or else...".

Now, the thing is:
if (you take your bath) {
no punishments
} else { ...

So the correct phrase should have been "Go and take your bathe else..."

2. You can imaging Mr A and B
Mr A: "Go and clean my room "
Mr B: "I ain't cleaning nothing"

ain't would be evaluated first (the statement becomes True (instead of the intended False) Because of the nothing at the end.

Have you noticed some yourself?

Questions For All

Q1. (from the classical joke of the programmer and his wife)

Wife: Papa Onyi, abeg go market go buy bread for Onyi, If Candi dey buy five.
Husband: OK
Husband: [programing-oriented husband comes back from market...there was a little quarrel!!]

a) What's the quarrel about?
b) What's the correct phrase mama Onyi should have used? (use pidgin English to answer b)

Q2: (conversation between two programmer friends)
Mr Y: look my friend, I don't hate you. If I hate you, would I have sent you a birthday gift?

Mr Z: "No"

Mr Y: [goes around telling the world mr Z thinks he hates him despite mr Z's "no" as answer]

a) Why did Mr Y do that?
Re: Commonly Used Phrases That Disagrees With Programming Semantics +IQ Qs by bot101(m): 7:13pm On Oct 23, 2016
This is actually my default mode when talking and listening to others talk. Greatly improves your command of the English language.

(1) (Reply)

FUNAAB Codeclass Hackathon / How To Pay Online Without DOM Account / What Next?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.