Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others (20426 Views)

BREAKING: JAMB Announces Cut-off Marks For Universities, Others / JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education / Breaking!!!! NUC Releases Official List Of JAMB Cut-off Points For All Federal & (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by Islie: 7:52pm On Oct 23, 2016
Friday Olokor, Abuja

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has hinted that it may cancel the use of uniform cut-off points for admitting candidates that took the Universities Tertiary Matriculation Examination.

The issue of cut-off marks as currently being used for admission, it said, should be subjected to national debate by stakeholders.

The Spokesperson of JAMB, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, gave the indication in a statement he issued on behalf of its Registrar/Chief Executive, Prof Is-haq Oloyede, on Sunday evening in Abuja.

He said a situation where universities, polytechnics and colleges of education were subjected to the same cut-off marks was no longer tenable because it prevented the institutions from admitting candidates of their choice.

Tertiary institutions, he sated, should be allowed to determine the kind of candidates they want to admit.
He added that there was an urgent need to reconsider the current cut-off point of 180 for admission in order to strengthen access to education, particularly for the less-privileged.

Benjamin said, “The uniformity of cut-off marks doesn’t make any sense when colleges (of education) and polytechnics admit for national certificate of education and diplomas, while universities admit for degrees.

Yet, we subject them to the same cut-off marks, thereby starving these tiers of institutions from admitting candidates who, if not engaged, may likely become easy prey to social vices.

“This means that if a University wants 250 as minimum cut-off marks, why not? And if another wants less so be it. If a Polytechnic like YABATECH (Yaba College of Technology) wants 250 as cut-off marks, let them admit and if Gboko Polytechnic in Benue State where I come from wants less than 200, let them admit.

“Institutions should be known for their individual quality and not collective standards. This will foster positive competition for the overall good of our tertiary institutions. It is critical for all notable stakeholders to rethink the issue of cut-off marks.

“I am calling for a national debate on the propriety of cut off marks; institutions should be allowed to determine the kind of candidates they want.”
JAMB also expressed worry over the class opportunities as it affects the distribution of admission resources.

The organisation said, “The rich have multiple opportunities which include going abroad for studies while the poor only have the opportunity of struggling for the scarce spaces here.

“They come back and they are integrated while the poor can’t afford it and are forever denied the opportunity of education. Let institutions admit what they want according to their needs.”

JAMB urged Nigerians to look at the decision critically for it to take action that would be for the good of the education sector.

http://punchng.com/jamb-scrap-uniform-cut-off-points-varsities-others/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by profmsboi(m): 9:22pm On Oct 23, 2016
E go make sense if e go work
Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 23, 2016
This is aimed at accommodating mediocrity. My hand no dey oo!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by ijustdey: 9:38pm On Oct 23, 2016
This approach would be abused and used to favour some people more than the others....

10 Likes

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by ReorxTohGan(m): 9:38pm On Oct 23, 2016
These Days Gaining Admission Into Varsities Is Nw Almost as Difficult as Resistinq Temptation...#GodBlessNigeria

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by incrediboooh(m): 9:52pm On Oct 23, 2016
God epp nigerian university aspirants...to get admission is now even difficult than living a holy life embarassed

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by ceeethru(m): 9:56pm On Oct 23, 2016
Finish off everything so that with NEPA bill we can gain admission to study law and medicine! Nonsense country!

30 Likes

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by BrutalJab: 9:58pm On Oct 23, 2016
Scrap the yeye jamb.

2 Likes

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by Mikylopez(f): 9:58pm On Oct 23, 2016
all dz wahala ontop admission it's not like we are guaranteed a nice job after all d suffer..it is well

5 Likes

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by Beezed(m): 9:58pm On Oct 23, 2016
Just cancel d whole JAMB n save lives.
Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by Yusfunoble(m): 10:00pm On Oct 23, 2016
Been expecting this, since they decided to scrap post jamb. Good development tho.

2 Likes

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by icemann(m): 10:01pm On Oct 23, 2016
To accommodate the north i guess

16 Likes

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by abumeinben(m): 10:03pm On Oct 23, 2016
Why is this adminstration so confused?

2 Likes

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by 4tunespark: 10:04pm On Oct 23, 2016
I tnk God I got admission o...to face all dz jamb wahala again eh

1 Like

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by seunlayi(m): 10:12pm On Oct 23, 2016
Jamb needs to be scrap asap

1 Like

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by holuwatobhy(m): 10:16pm On Oct 23, 2016
Great move
Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by seunlayi(m): 10:16pm On Oct 23, 2016
If an entrepreneur is as confused as jamb, I m sure the business will fail. I swear, this people are confused and lost with no direction

6 Likes

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by seunlayi(m): 10:18pm On Oct 23, 2016
Mikylopez:
all dz wahala ontop admission it's not like we are guaranteed a nice job after all d suffer..it is well
just imagine all this mess in a country where 2nd degree doesn't guarantee you good job.

1 Like

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by Okanokan(m): 10:21pm On Oct 23, 2016
Ok o!!
Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by akinze100(m): 10:23pm On Oct 23, 2016
all these JAMB wahala I just dey ...

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by Franchise21(m): 10:25pm On Oct 23, 2016
grin
Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by Kelvinprinzyy(m): 10:30pm On Oct 23, 2016
na wa ooo
Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by kennyjam: 10:33pm On Oct 23, 2016
i am looking for another country where i will be reborn...next time i am to br born.Everything don tire me for dis country........even poison wey i won buy don add money....

9 Likes

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by donolatunji(m): 10:44pm On Oct 23, 2016
Rubbish AdministrationRubbish AdministrationRubbish Administration
Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by harlee(m): 10:49pm On Oct 23, 2016
Jamb is really restructuring
Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by daeujo: 10:49pm On Oct 23, 2016
These forward and backward movement of these people sef. Some people already know there abilty is not for the university. With 150 they quickly apply for the polytechnic. And they quickly went ahead to unify d cut off mark. Now they want to change it againm smh

1 Like

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by Abbeyme: 10:52pm On Oct 23, 2016
Of course, it would work...

profmsboi:
E go make sense if e go work

That was how it was done before it was changed to this present scenario.
At that time, you will have to wait until your university or Polytechnic of choice announces its own cut-off point for the course you have chosen.

And you will have to wait again till it announces cut-off point for the 2nd choice applicants..

Its like you put your eggs in one basket and watch that basket; if you look at multiple schools for admission, you might miss out on all of them.
Just concentrate on very few.
Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by Lisaint(m): 10:52pm On Oct 23, 2016
Advantage:

This will give universities like Unilorin,Unilag and co the power to raise there cutoff to 250 thereby reducing the number of aspirant they are having per year.

It will reduce the extortion my those university management.

Disadvantage:

Special Center go Plenty for jamb because everyone will be hustling to get 300for jamb.

The rich will be favour.

Extortion will fight back in another form.
But
I thought senate has extend the result to three years why The Man no talk about ham abi the issue don they the

OTHER ROOM ni?

3 Likes

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by superfelix: 10:55pm On Oct 23, 2016
mehn! i pray i get out of this jamb mess quickly
Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by AnodaIT(m): 10:59pm On Oct 23, 2016
Now someone with 80 in the north can get admission for medicine, graduate and become the Minister for Health while those in the south will be struggling with their 240.

All those Aso Demons sha

14 Likes

Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by Nobody: 11:02pm On Oct 23, 2016
ceeethru:
Finish off everything so that with NEPA bill we can gain admission to study law and medicine! Nonsense country!
grin grin grin
Re: JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others by Nobody: 11:03pm On Oct 23, 2016
I dunno Whether this is good or bad.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Improve My Maths? / Funny Experiences In The Examination Hall. / The LONGEST Word In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.