Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,471 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures (115052 Views)

Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! / Benin Art And Architecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by Nobody: 4:20pm On Oct 26, 2009
ababda:

it is like a love song, but without being perverse. however, she won a award for best singer of that year hence the reason for the the gathering.

she deserves it too, although I dont know any other Sudanese singers.

But she's good, I agree. Strong and captivating voice as well.

ababda:

tpia, what ethnic group do you belong to i may ask?

mixed yoruba and hausa

I'm not a typical Yoruba however so try not to draw any generalizations from me grin
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 4:31pm On Oct 26, 2009
no, i won't draw any generalizations of you, afterall i am sudanese, and some people might think the worst of me. however, i did not know nigeria had many tuaregs, but it makes sense, since your country borders niger.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by Nobody: 4:34pm On Oct 26, 2009
ababda:

no, i won't draw any generalizations of you, afterall i am sudanese, and some people might think the worst of me. however, i did not know nigeria had many tuaregs, but it makes sense, since your country borders niger.

Nigeria has Tuareg looking people but I'm not sure there are Tuaregs actually native to Nigeria.

Its not impossible though.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 4:35pm On Oct 26, 2009
we actually have hausa in sudan as well. i think they migranted to sudan hundreds of years ago to perform the haj in saudi, but later decided to stay in sudan and also eritrea.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 4:45pm On Oct 26, 2009
i found this video on "youtube" . this was on discovery channel. a group of archeologist made a discovery sometimes in the ninties of a unknown city around the fifth cataracts in the sudan. at first they thought it was a temple, but what they discovered was a ancient city, that is about 24 football fields big, and definitely well preserved, and one of the largest amun temple in the sudan. i hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXUwy9y5heY&feature=related smiley
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 26, 2009
ababda:

we actually have hausa in sudan as well. i think they migranted to sudan hundreds of years ago to perform the haj in saudi, but later decided to stay in sudan and also eritrea.

I read something about that the other day.

It seems quite a lot of hausas/fulanis and other west Africans settled in Sudan en route to Mecca.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 26, 2009
thanks a lot for the videos- I really enjoyed them.

I'll be back to check out the rest but i have to run now.

great thread. wink
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 8:36am On Oct 27, 2009
smiley this is one of my favorites above all else even though many people will consider this simple glassware. however, from my perspective this drinking glass is not only beautiful and it is my favorite color darkblue, but it is timeless. it looks very modern.
this glass is dated during the late meroitic period in around 250-300 AD, this was found in one of the pyramids in meroe. some of the glasses is now house at the museum in khartoum in sudan and university of pisa in italy.

http://www.fotosearch.com/bigcomp.asp?path=ICN/ICN002/F0020609.jpg : simple but it is my favorite, because the glassware is timeless. the writing of the glassware is actually greek, which means the meroites and greeks were trading varies different items during that time.

the translation from the glass, "Drink and you shall live" they would break the glass as a sign of luck.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 8:52am On Oct 27, 2009
the statue was founded at the city of meroe, and the pharah is arkamani I one of the pharaohs during the meroitic period. the photo of the statue is in front of the khartoum national museum and the lady is obviously a tourist.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 8:53am On Oct 27, 2009
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 9:04am On Oct 27, 2009
this is a burial tomb in el kurru in northern sudan.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2399/2318301968_70bbd25aaf.jpg
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 12:58pm On Oct 27, 2009
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 1:08pm On Oct 27, 2009
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by Nobody: 3:05am On Oct 28, 2009
ababda:

http://images.travelpod.com/users/jenniferholden/sudan_2005-2006.1148161320.khartoum_-_wanderings_029.jpg
sorry, he is the statue of arkamani I

beautiful.

I thought all these statues were only found in Egypt.

ababda:

smiley this is one of my favorites above all else even though many people will consider this simple glassware. however, from my perspective this drinking glass is not only beautiful and it is my favorite color darkblue, but it is timeless. it looks very modern.
this glass is dated during the late meroitic period in around 250-300 AD, this was found in one of the pyramids in meroe. some of the glasses is now house at the museum in khartoum in sudan and university of pisa in italy.

http://www.fotosearch.com/bigcomp.asp?path=ICN/ICN002/F0020609.jpg : simple but it is my favorite, because the glassware is timeless. the writing of the glassware is actually greek, which means the meroites and greeks were trading varies different items during that time.

the translation from the glass, "Drink and you shall live" they would break the glass as a sign of luck.

this is interesting because breaking glass is actually a Jewish custom, I think. Is it originally middle eastern?

The cup reminds me of ancient Greek glassware btw.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by Nobody: 4:40am On Oct 28, 2009
San (south African) ancient rock art:

not sure of the date
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by Nobody: 4:45am On Oct 28, 2009
Juba II, king of Numidia and later Mauretania, 52 BC. Married Cleopatra's daughter.

Juba 1:

[img]http://www.louvre.fr/media/repository/ressources/sources/illustration/atlas/x196image_65415_v2_m56577569830699647.jpg[/img]

I think they're Berbers though.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by Nobody: 5:01am On Oct 28, 2009
Septimus Severus

roman emperor born in Africa (Libya):

[img]http://www.louvre.fr/media/repository/ressources/sources/illustration/atlas/x196image_65461_v2_m56577569830699862.jpg[/img]

statue found in Algeria
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by malaika(f): 2:15pm On Oct 28, 2009
Mapungubwe - South Africa's lost City of Gold

"One thousand years ago, Mapungubwe in Limpopo province was the centre of the largest kingdom in the subcontinent, where a highly sophisticated people traded gold and ivory with China, India and Egypt. The site was discovered in 1932 and has been excavated by the University of Pretoria ever since. The findings were kept quiet at the time since they provided contrary evidence to the racist ideology of black inferiority underpinning apartheid. "

the golden rhino and sceptre were some of the many golden, clay and bronze artefacts discovered at Mapungubwe

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ezeagu(m): 3:26pm On Oct 28, 2009
Ikom monolith, Cross River state, I think BC.

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by Nobody: 1:38am On Oct 29, 2009
Bamana urban architecture, Mali

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 4:37am On Oct 29, 2009
Juba II, king of Numidia and later Mauretania, 52 BC. Married Cleopatra's daughter.

wow, did not know that queen cleopatra's daughter was married to the king of juba.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by Nobody: 5:06am On Oct 29, 2009
Roman Africa:

The great Latin poet, Virgil, holding a volume on which is written the Aenid. On either side stand the two muses: "Clio" (history) and "Melpomene" (tragedy). The mosaic, which dates from the 3rd Century A.D., was discovered in the Hadrumetum in Sousse, Tunisia and is now on display in the Bardo Museum in Tunis, Tunisia.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Virgil_Mosaic_Bardo_Museum_Tunis.jpg

I dont think he's black, just tanned or dark skinned maybe. But the fresco is from Tunisia.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 5:48am On Oct 29, 2009
this is a recent find in the dessert of northern sudan of five statures of nubian kings that ruled both sudan and egypt. needless to say, one of the pharaohs is even mentioned in the bible in the book of kings.
the pharaohs are taharqa(he is mentioned in the bible as the ethiopian pharaoh)
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 5:52am On Oct 29, 2009
the other pharaohs are "tanoutamon"
"Senkamisken"
"anlamani"
"Aspelta"

here are the statues they found in northern sudan

http://wysinger.homestead.com/black-pharaohs-hdr-615.jpg
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by Nobody: 5:56am On Oct 29, 2009
^^ this is so interesting. wink

I wonder why Sudan isnt a tourist destination like Egypt, with all these statues, temples and pyramids there.

If/when I go to Egypt, I'd like to see them myself if they're not too far from the border and are accessible to tourists.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 6:06am On Oct 29, 2009
meroitic queen shanakhdakheto she rule what is now sudan in 170bc to 150bc.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 6:15am On Oct 29, 2009
I wonder why Sudan isnt a tourist destination like Egypt, with all these statues, temples and pyramids there.

that is a good question, tpia. it has alot to do with the government, and not wanting visitors or tourist in the country, however, they are starting to realize that utilizing these monuments will be a benefits for the people. also, the situations of darfur have not helped the country image. even though that have significantly abated. however, the monuments are very far from the darfur area, and the people are extremely welcoming to visitors, and the locals are ready for tourist. as a matter of fact, many companies from europe and gulf arab countries are starting to set up tourist facilites as we speak, and the government is providing more roads to get to these monuments. also, these gulf arabs are helping to restore some of the pyramids and temples, which is a good thing. i guess.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 6:17am On Oct 29, 2009
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by Nobody: 6:20am On Oct 29, 2009
ababda:

sorry queen shanakhdakheto.http://1.bp..com/_6sah9qUqtb0/SQJcvBaA0RI/AAAAAAAAAAM/AYNIG0Am4p4/s320/kush+queen.jpg

this art style is different and very nice.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by Nobody: 6:22am On Oct 29, 2009
ababda:

that is a good question, tpia. it has alot to do with the government, and not wanting visitors or tourist in the country, however, they are starting to realize that utilizing these monuments will be a benefits for the people. also, the situations of darfur have not helped the country image. even though that have significantly abated. however, the monuments are very far from the darfur area, and the people are extremely welcoming to visitors, and the locals are ready for tourist. as a matter of fact, many companies from europe and gulf arab countries are starting to set up tourist facilites as we speak, and the government is providing more roads to get to these monuments. also, these gulf arabs are helping to restore some of the pyramids and temples, which is a good thing. i guess.

how far is this area from Egypt ?

up to a day's journey or more ?
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 6:30am On Oct 29, 2009
bark stand of king natakamani which is now housed in the Berlin Egyptian Museum. found in the temple of naga sudan.
http://wysinger.homestead.com/nat.jpg
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://wysinger.homestead.com/nat.jpg&imgrefurl=http://wysinger.homestead.com/nubian103.html&usg=__IBewjiV874Mh3hE1c3GOa4Nac5g=&h=800&w=581&sz=76&hl=en&start=28&um=1&tbnid=mhKpaVGVmUz6oM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstatue%2Bof%2Bqueen%2Bamanitore%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D18%26um%3D1

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Kalabari People! / If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. / Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.