Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures (115055 Views)

Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! / Benin Art And Architecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 10:33pm On Nov 12, 2009
ezeagu where do you live england or america?
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 10:35pm On Nov 12, 2009
locals from aswan egypt shows tourist a good time.

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 10:39pm On Nov 12, 2009
well, ezeagu we are all human afterall, in other words, you will find some whites that resemble blacks or other black people looking similar to your relatives that is only natural.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 10:47pm On Nov 12, 2009
man sowing clotes in luxor, kids having fun in home in aswan egypt.

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 10:49pm On Nov 12, 2009
chinese tourist having fun at wedding receptions in luxor egypt

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 10:53pm On Nov 12, 2009
man at work in luxor egypt

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 11:11pm On Nov 12, 2009
more diversity in egypt

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 11:13pm On Nov 12, 2009
people of egypt

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 11:20pm On Nov 12, 2009
more of egyptian people. however, a barber shop in the middle of the streets in downtown cairo

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 11:23pm On Nov 12, 2009
upper egyptian young girl prepares meal for family, and boy fall asleep at the temple of horus in edfu upper egypt.

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 11:58pm On Nov 12, 2009
egyptian writer alaa aswany. written book called chicago was a best seller world wide. social critic especially against the government and religious fanatism

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 7:54am On Nov 13, 2009
this is the point i was trying to make to you ezeagu. this is written by the guardian magazine in britian.

The image of ancient Sudan that entered western consciousness was that of Egypt's colonised African neighbour, subdued by a stronger, Mediterranean culture. But this exhibition explodes that myth of Nubia as passive recipient of Egyptian culture. The relationship between Egypt and the kingdom of Kush or Kerma was so complex, it hurts your head.

Any serious archaeology exhibition is difficult, and this one insists on complexity. You spend a lot of time trying to understand timelines. There were powerful kings in Sudan before contact with Egypt developed. Like the pharaohs, the rulers of Kerma expressed their power through elaborate funerals. Instead of building pyramids, they practised human sacrifice: sometimes hundreds of servants would be buried alive with their master.

Far from simple conquest, the relationship between ancient Egypt and Sudan was one of exchange and influence. Not only did independent rulers survive, they eventually took over Egypt itself. From 1650 to 1550BC, a weak Egypt was dominated by the rulers from the south. It was after this period that the New Kingdom (1550-1069BC) struck back and conquered the land of Kush. But by then it was almost [b]irrelevant who ruled who; culturally, this was one region.

There is no easy way of telling, in this exhibition, what is purely "Egyptian" and what is Kushite[/b]. Only the stone tells you these marvellous sculptures are Sudanese. The desert is in them. Magnificent things: a seated statue of a ruler who might be Shelley's Ozymandias, but is in fact Amenhotep I. A sandstone lion. A four-sided relief from the Temple of Amun at Naga, orange, hot, with falcon-headed Horus and ibis-headed Thoth. British eyes, though, are bound to fix on one of the very last exhibits:

like i mentioned before the history of egypt and especially northern sudan is very interwine, from the statuary of the pharaohs it is hard to tell who from who. that is why i refuse to say ancient egypt or ancient nubia. now i call the shared histories of both countries nile valley civilization, which makes more logical sense.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 3:22pm On Nov 13, 2009
Yeha temple of the moon, this temple is dated during the 5th century bc, it about 2500 years. this temple is in northern ethiopia

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 3:28pm On Nov 13, 2009
the allege throne room of queen sheba, however according to historian the hall was constucted a later date.

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 3:38pm On Nov 13, 2009
axumite obelisk stelae

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 3:39pm On Nov 13, 2009
the obelisk stelae is in northern ethiopia
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 4:25pm On Nov 13, 2009
church of saint george in labilila northern ethiopia, the church was constructed during the 12 or 13th century

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 4:39pm On Nov 13, 2009
nalatale ruins. the ruins is located in zimbabwue, and it was constructed according to the article around the 17th century AD.

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by madlady(f): 4:52pm On Nov 13, 2009
@ababda The second shot of the rock church of st george, this looks slightly different from the others you have on this thread.Could you tell me which site you found them on. I am still trying to find pictures of the paintings inside.

ps wonderful thread.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 6:13pm On Nov 13, 2009
thank you again, madlady. like you, i have been searching through google or yahoo then i clicked to image to hopefully get results. that is how i was able to get images of the church of saint george in labilia ethiopia. as far as the pictures is concern, i have also been searching for the inside of the artwork of saint george but no results. however, i have a deep feeling that the local priests or nuns prevent people taking pictures inside the church, because i heard that in many places in ethiopia they don't allow photos of certain pierces of art, which the church deem as sacred.], we might have to go their to see the actual artwork of the church, however if i find something, i will provide you with the link. thank you again madlady
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by madlady(f): 8:21pm On Nov 13, 2009
smiley

@ababada. How kind of you to continue looking for my hard to find paintings. I have only been able to see a tiny fraction in all the months of searching,this was on a site called "Sacred Destinations". The photo on that site showed just abstract art work, so i do believe that you are correct in your statement about the local priests and nuns not allowing scared items to be photographed.

Jokes apart i have considered going on one of the tours, but i have been informed by the British Embassy that it's not really safe.
Oh well it looks like i will have to pick another type of rare scared art to complete my painting project.

@ababda Keep up the great work you are doing on this thread.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by Epi: 5:34am On Nov 14, 2009
@ababda

Your Egyptian pictures, the lady in posting #260 (see attached). Is she Egyptian? I am asking because cross my heart and hope to die, I have never seen a "black" (complexion) egyptian

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 3:24pm On Nov 14, 2009
hello epi, i am glad you are still with us, i was hoping you will post more pictures. however, i will answer your question, yes the lady is from egypt, but obviously she has southern roots. i posted a articule from the guardian from great Britian that the history of egypt and northern sudan is very interwine, since the countries border each other, it will be obvious the the two countries will have share ethnic groups on both side of the border. also, you must remember egypt and sudan were once one country in various times in their shared histories. if you read about the history of the nile valley, and notice the mouments in both countries, the issue of a so called black face lady, should not even cross your mind. in other words, it would only be logical that so called black face people will exist in egypt, since they border sudan. the lady is actually from luxor egypt.
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 3:53pm On Nov 14, 2009
epi, here is the link to the picture i found on yahoo images.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dpeople%2Bof%2Bluxor%2Begypt%26b%3D341%26ni%3D20%26ei%3Dutf-8%26y%3DSearch%26pstart%3D1%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701&w=500&h=332&imgurl=static.flickr.com%2F3184%2F2945422460_ffb5849e05.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fraysorin%2F2945422460%2F&size=78k&name=Luxor+Lady&p=people+of+luxor+egypt&oid=0fbfa652ea761c76&fr2=&fusr=shoodawg&no=350&tt=6474&b=341&ni=20&sigr=11hohp14s&sigi=11gj7o7ke&sigb=13ovli7t6
Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 9:40pm On Nov 14, 2009
this is the map of classical ancient egypt which includes parts of northern sudan today. however, beyond that was the powerful kingdom of kerma during ancient times.

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 9:49pm On Nov 14, 2009
common faces of upper egypt. upper egypt have a population of approxiately 20 million people. which consist of many ethnic groups.

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 9:53pm On Nov 14, 2009
common faces in aswan, edfu and luxor which is upper egypt.

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 9:56pm On Nov 14, 2009
more faces of south egypt

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 9:58pm On Nov 14, 2009
upper egypt

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 10:03pm On Nov 14, 2009
photo of man driving carriage was taken in luxor

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 10:05pm On Nov 14, 2009
upper egypt aswan.

Re: Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures by ababda: 10:06pm On Nov 14, 2009
upper egypt edfu

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply)

Kalabari People! / If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. / Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.