Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,022 members, 7,807,003 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job (7576 Views)

Nigerian Prisons Service Recruitment 2018 And How To Apply Successfully / Tips To Apply Successfully For The Shell Nigeria Graduate Trainee Recruitment/17 / Tips On How To Apply Successfully For Shell Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 24, 2016
Your CV is a key step in any application process because it is a platform to present yourself and demonstrate your achievements.

Make the most of your CV
Here are a few handy tips to help you present yourself in the best possible way:

-Make sure your CV is up to date
-Try to restrict it to two pages and keep the layout simple
-Use headings like “Education” and “Career History” to highlight different sections
-Don’t just make general statements about yourself – support them with evidence. For example, explain what you have done that illustrates the qualities you have
-Try to link your skills and experience to the requirements of the role you’re applying for.
-Personal details: Your full name, address, email address and phone number are most important.

Educational details: List these in reverse chronological order, with your most recent education first. Include the name of the institutions, the dates you were enrolled, and the qualifications you obtained or will obtain when you graduate. You may want to list the relevant modules, the projects and dissertations you have delivered, the grades you have achieved, and professional skills you have developed.

Career history and professional experience: Whether they’re paid, voluntary or shadowing, all experiences count. Present these in reverse chronological order with dates to show how long you remained in a particular role. Mention what you achieved and the skills you developed.

Achievements and outside interests: Include this information to show that you’re a rounded person with a balanced approach to life. Focus on recent examples, describing what you contributed and learned, and how you did this.

Some companies would give you and online assessment... So here are a few tips to being successful in this hurdle

Top tips for taking the online assessment
Take the Online assessment practice tests: Practice test 1 and Practice test 2.(GMAT etc)
Ensure you have researched company’s values.
Before starting take some time to consider examples of how you’ve worked successfully in the past.
Don’t try to second-guess what the company is looking for. Above all you must have integrity, be authentic and confident of your opinions.
Make sure you are in the right frame of mind to take the test (motivated, focused, not tired or stressed).
Ensure you choose a quiet place and time to take the assessments.
If English isn’t your first language you may want to have a dictionary to hand.
For Practice test 2 you will probably want to use a pen, paper and a calculator as you will be required to make calculations (e.g. multiplications, percentages).
Take the test seriously – only the numerical test is timed, so don’t “speed through”. Ensure you read the questions properly.

Performing well at an interview
Do your homework by researching about the company and gaining familiarity with its operations, projects, sites and values.
Learn about the capacity, achievement and relationships criteria it use to assess candidates.
When you’re being interviewed, think carefully about the question. Gather your thoughts before you answer – don’t just dive in.
Frame your answer to provide evidence of what the interviewer is looking for. Always focus on what you, not other people, have done. Always be enthusiastic about your achievements.
Keep your answers relevant to the question and come to the point. Provide sufficient background information to set the scene, but be careful not to wander away from the question.
Think of some questions in advance to ask at the end of the interview so you conclude on a positive note.

Thank you for reading

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by MzMercie: 6:59am On Oct 25, 2016
Thanks OP, nice one

FTC oooo, grin grin grin
Where is my award? Abi dem no dey give ftc award ni
It's cool sha cheesy
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by saintol(m): 7:01am On Oct 25, 2016
Thanks
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by nmreports: 7:02am On Oct 25, 2016
There cannot be an ending to these tips and helpful career advice.
Unemployment rate is at the highest peak ever and so we should always learn what we can to help us in our job search.
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by Sixkobo(f): 7:02am On Oct 25, 2016

Nice Tips but before you can get an interview invite they are stages you need to pass first...and that's what I will list below. Endeavor to read them

Firstly is knowing How to write a Good Resume which we treated Here http://sixkobo.com.ng/resume-write-good-resume-cv-sixkobo/ or How to Write a Good Cover Letter [ur]http://sixkobo.com.ng/write-good-cover-letter-sixkobo/[/url]

Or for those who does not know Difference between Cover Letter, Application Letter, Resume and CV can also read them here too http://sixkobo.com.ng/application-letter-cover-letter-resume-curriculum-vitae-cv-diffrence/ and many more
These resources are very helpful so endeavor to read them well.
Thanks at OP
Nice info here
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by esohjayy(m): 7:04am On Oct 25, 2016
could be helpful
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by YINKS89(m): 7:08am On Oct 25, 2016
nice.
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by ezechueze(m): 7:08am On Oct 25, 2016
OK
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by Exponental(m): 7:10am On Oct 25, 2016
know what they want

1 Like

Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by Nobody: 7:12am On Oct 25, 2016
Op thanks, as expected, you would not find many comments on a page like this. This NL career is really helping me a lot. Will soon share my testimony.
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by kennyjam: 7:14am On Oct 25, 2016
where d job dey self? ........Thanks anyway... connection makes it easier..... all those tips work better in developed countries ....not Africa in general.
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by Tbillz(m): 7:20am On Oct 25, 2016
Nothing like taking your CV to God in this kind of country, a lot of CV's "not all" end up in the thrash bin if U know nobody. Take your CV to God let him arrange it for U! Reading formats since 1985BC. God help the youth of this nation!
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by kinzation(m): 7:21am On Oct 25, 2016
Useful tips to start with this morning before the snakes and breasts thread starts coming in

1 Like

Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by Julietcutie(f): 7:24am On Oct 25, 2016
nice
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by Nobody: 7:24am On Oct 25, 2016
Quesk was hia[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by myrrtle(m): 7:26am On Oct 25, 2016
kennyjam:
where d job dey self? ........Thanks anyway... connection makes it easier..... all those tips work better in developed countries ....not Africa in general.
the the ratio of the jobs available in Nigeria to the people looking for jobs no just make sense at all. even ordinary internship dey get plenty competition to get. http://careersome.com for internships!

1 Like

Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by Benjom(m): 7:37am On Oct 25, 2016
Good one there OP. Here is an example of how the Layout and Sections should look like below.

View other 3 samples here: www..com/cv-rewrite/

Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by TheOonlyOne: 7:37am On Oct 25, 2016
Nice one OP
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by annexworld(m): 7:44am On Oct 25, 2016
Nice write up op
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by Laxy009(m): 7:50am On Oct 25, 2016
Nice tips
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by RentALodge: 8:17am On Oct 25, 2016
Excellent tips. As an employer, I will offer 5 Tips to Help Your Job Application Stand Out

1. Complete the full application. Due to the need to track applicants in two systems (both the school’s career site AND the company’s applicant tracking system), you’ll often need to complete two applications for one job. The application may also call for a cover letter, letter of reference, or completion of an online assessment. Oftentimes if you don’t complete all steps, you’re automatically out of the running! Completing every step demonstrates that you’re detail-oriented and that you really want it.

2. Know your audience. Tailoring your resume and any other documents to the company, industry, or role you’re applying for shows that you’re serious! If you’re blanket-applying to many different organizations, create a template for each industry you’re applying for and the fill in the blanks. Warning: don’t forget to swap out the generic “Insert Company Name” for the actual company you are applying for.

3. Keep it short, sweet, and scannable. Seeing a two-page (or sometimes three!) resume from a college junior is frustrating. While I know that you only want to show your success over time, recruiters often have thousands of resumes in their queue. My recommendation when it comes to your resume is to demonstrate key deliverables you completed and how you contributed to the team or organization. You also need to ensure that your resume is easy to scan through for the highlights. If you’re applying for a marketing role, highlight marketing-specific tasks or roles you’ve had in the past. And it’s okay if you don’t have the experience yet – you can use a cover letter to demonstrate how your skill set will translate into the role you’re applying for!

4. Show that you can deliver. Metrics are a huge deal these days, and your resume should use metrics to show your success and impact. While it may be easier to do for some experiences than others, you know more than you think you do. For example, if you were a camp counselor for 5 years, use metrics to demonstrate your loyalty to the camp and how you kept your campers coming back year after year.

4. Lastly: the devil is in the details. I learned this from the CEO of the first company I worked for, and it’s never truer than in the application phase. I’ve seen candidates send in cover letters with the wrong company and resumes with the wrong phone number or no email address. To avoid this, have as many people as you can review your resume. You can also print it out and read it aloud, line by line, to catch errors (trust me, it works). Also ensure that the attachments you’re uploading online aren’t labeled with another company’s name; it’s a dead giveaway that you’re not truly interested in a company. It also makes it easier for recruiters if you clearly title each document you submit. An example of this is titling a document with your first and last name, followed by the item description (i.e., “John Smith_Resume.pdf”).

**If you are a student and you would like to work for RentALodge as a RentALodge contact in your school, see the signature for address. We are recruiting for all schools in Nigeria.**
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by Histrings08(m): 8:48am On Oct 25, 2016
Since this topic don reach fp, comments neva reach 30...chaiii,people self don tire
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 25, 2016
RentALodge:
Excellent tips. As an employer, I will offer 5 Tips to Help Your Job Application Stand Out

1. Complete the full application. Due to the need to track applicants in two systems (both the school’s career site AND the company’s applicant tracking system), you’ll often need to complete two applications for one job. The application may also call for a cover letter, letter of reference, or completion of an online assessment. Oftentimes if you don’t complete all steps, you’re automatically out of the running! Completing every step demonstrates that you’re detail-oriented and that you really want it.

2. Know your audience. Tailoring your resume and any other documents to the company, industry, or role you’re applying for shows that you’re serious! If you’re blanket-applying to many different organizations, create a template for each industry you’re applying for and the fill in the blanks. Warning: don’t forget to swap out the generic “Insert Company Name” for the actual company you are applying for.

3. Keep it short, sweet, and scannable. Seeing a two-page (or sometimes three!) resume from a college junior is frustrating. While I know that you only want to show your success over time, recruiters often have thousands of resumes in their queue. My recommendation when it comes to your resume is to demonstrate key deliverables you completed and how you contributed to the team or organization. You also need to ensure that your resume is easy to scan through for the highlights. If you’re applying for a marketing role, highlight marketing-specific tasks or roles you’ve had in the past. And it’s okay if you don’t have the experience yet – you can use a cover letter to demonstrate how your skill set will translate into the role you’re applying for!

4. Show that you can deliver. Metrics are a huge deal these days, and your resume should use metrics to show your success and impact. While it may be easier to do for some experiences than others, you know more than you think you do. For example, if you were a camp counselor for 5 years, use metrics to demonstrate your loyalty to the camp and how you kept your campers coming back year after year.

4. Lastly: the devil is in the details. I learned this from the CEO of the first company I worked for, and it’s never truer than in the application phase. I’ve seen candidates send in cover letters with the wrong company and resumes with the wrong phone number or no email address. To avoid this, have as many people as you can review your resume. You can also print it out and read it aloud, line by line, to catch errors (trust me, it works). Also ensure that the attachments you’re uploading online aren’t labeled with another company’s name; it’s a dead giveaway that you’re not truly interested in a company. It also makes it easier for recruiters if you clearly title each document you submit. An example of this is titling a document with your first and last name, followed by the item description (i.e., “John Smith_Resume.pdf”).

**If you are a student and you would like to work for RentALodge as a RentALodge contact in UI, see the signature for address. We are recruiting for all schools in Nigeria.**
dnt sweettalk nairaland readers, u got this post from: http://nyuwassermanblog.career.admin.nyu.edu/2014/01/5-tips-to-help-your-job-application-stand-out/
its easy to know a copy and paste article.

1 Like

Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by Codes151(m): 1:51pm On Oct 25, 2016
Na eim u no get job Cuz if u did, I doubt u will write this
Re: Standard Tips To Apply Successfully For A Job by Nobody: 10:22am On Jun 05, 2017
nice one

(1) (Reply)

Information Technology Training / Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) Job Recruitment / FCSC Recruitment Department Application Message!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.