Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? (3728 Views)

Why It Is Wrong To Tell Nigerians To Dump God Because Of The Prosperity In China / Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? / When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by Chubhie: 6:08am On Oct 25, 2016
TrapQueen77:
I stop being too religious when all I see are these hypocrite ppol, praising and worshipping their God in 2hours and after that, everything is back to Normal biznez of lies, deceiving others, gossiping, back biting.,cheating ,lust ,disrespectful etc ...
Juz name all horrible traits, they have it and blame it to the devil when somebody caught them doing such thing... angry

[size=18pt]and these are the same ppol claiming that they are the CHILDREN OF GOD[/size]

Those hypocrites disgust me. I always feel like pulling a spiritual koboko on them. carnal minds have invaded the church of God! It takes me less than five minutes to see through them.

The church is under serious assault from the marine to corrupt,dilute and erode spirituality totally from the church of God.
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by ChemicalReaction(f): 6:22am On Oct 25, 2016
aminusanti:
sorry sir, I ain't atheist. I am a muslim smiley
OK. Sorry for the mention. BTW, I'm female.
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by ChemicalReaction(f): 6:26am On Oct 25, 2016
GRIMMJOE:
I will run out of saliva if I keep talking.
All I can say is i critically analyzed everything,but before then,it was already sounding ridiculous.
Lol.. And nothing has ever made you have a re-think since then?
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by aminusanti(m): 6:32am On Oct 25, 2016
ChemicalReaction:
OK. Sorry for the mention. BTW, I'm female.
oh no issues it's all good smiley . are u one of them too?
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by hahn(m): 6:47am On Oct 25, 2016
aminusanti:
sorry sir, I ain't atheist. I am a muslim smiley

Na so dem dey do. Anyone that doesn't agree with their imaginary friend is an atheist undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by hahn(m): 6:51am On Oct 25, 2016
mrmrmister:

Keep calm you're on the same page cool

That guy is on another brand of yayo undecided
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by ChemicalReaction(f): 7:01am On Oct 25, 2016
aminusanti:
oh no issues it's all good smiley . are u one of them too?
No oo.. I'm just curious as to how 'super' religious Nigerians would be athiest.

1 Like

Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by Seun(m): 7:03am On Oct 25, 2016
Answered earlier here: https://www.nairaland.com/3175859/all-atheists-why-did-atheist/1#47275462
Seun:
It happened at a time when I had many problems in my life and I decided to skip sunday fellowship because frankly, the fellowship hadn't done anything whatsoever to help me with my problems. Over the next week, I tried to examine the impact of my personal relationship with God on my life and I could only conclude that it had a negative impact on my life. If I had relied on my own understanding to make decisions, instead of doing things I thought God wanted me to do, my life would have been so much better. So I told my roommates that I'd be an interim atheist until I got some strong evidence of the existence of God and the truth of the bible. I'd no longer give Christianity the benefit of doubt.

(I could do that because in my quest to be a better Christian, I learnt exactly how the bible was put together, which was a mess. I'd had to think about the contradictions in the bible. I'd tried to convert a muslim who was able to defend the flaws of Islam as well as I could defend the flaws of Christianity, which made me realize that the only reason I was a Christian was by choice, due to being born into it. My quest to witness the pentecostal promise of signs and wonders had been fruitless. Even speaking in tongues had turned out to be not supernatural at all)

As an atheist, I started the process of rethinking my life, and everything now made so much more sense. All those 'difficult questions' I used to struggle with as a Christian who actually read the bible and tried to make sense of it were easily answered thus: "because there's no God".

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by ChemicalReaction(f): 7:07am On Oct 25, 2016
hahn:

Na so dem dey do. Anyone that doesn't agree with their imaginary friend is an atheist undecided
When i typed religion, it wasn't restricted to christians only. Unless you've discovered another meaning of that word.
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by hahn(m): 7:11am On Oct 25, 2016
ChemicalReaction:
When i typed religion, it wasn't restricted to christians only. Unless you've discovered another meaning of that word.

You labelled him an atheist and he isn't. Or do you just seem unable to comprehend what the discussion is about undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by Nobody: 7:18am On Oct 25, 2016
It was a long and slow process, no one thing pushed me. But as i got smarter and read more I started to question the bibles teachings and finally I became an atheist.

2 Likes

Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by wirinet(m): 7:25am On Oct 25, 2016
hahn:
Luckily for me, I was not born in a religious home although at a certain point in my life I thought, why not? What do I have to lose in believing there is a god up there who cares about me and loves me enough to throw me in hell for eternity if I don't love it back.

Then one day I knelt down and was praying with my wife and then it hit me. [size=16pt] I was talking to myself [/size] undecided

Then you also have to consider all the ridiculous stories one has to deceive himself to believe. Talking snakes, talking donkeys, the mass genocide by Jehovah via Noah's flood and at Sodom and Gomorrah, the virgin birth of Jesus, flying chariots and all other bullsh*t in the bible and all other religious holy book of lies.

Even Dexter's laboratory made more sense undecided

The bolded is golden. That is your Buddha moment. You were indeed talking to yourself. But the truth is modern religion does not allow one to talk to oneself. It encourages so much noisemaking and manta that one cannot hear oneself, thereby making people disconnect from your innerself and malleable to control by pastors, priests and imams.

My best quote from the Bible is " Man know thyself."

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 25, 2016
Chubhie:
When I cast my spiritual eyes on this thread, I see demons typing away!

You filthy things are too small to stop the kingdom of God. Repent before your grace period elapse.
Spiritual eyes grin grin The religious amuse me. Demons are typing lol.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by wirinet(m): 7:31am On Oct 25, 2016
ChemicalReaction:
So former Christians turned atheist should not comment? In that case you should have added excluding Christians in your heading.
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by ChemicalReaction(f): 7:39am On Oct 25, 2016
wirinet:

So former Christians turned atheist should not comment? In that case you should have added excluding Christians in your heading.
You're getting it wrong. This post in particular isn't mean't for you. Just Hahn.

1 Like

Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 25, 2016
ChemicalReaction:
Sorry.. Not me.
Ahhh. I once thought the same, as did most ex religious atheist. The first time I even saw an atheist was in a Hollywood movie, I've forgotten the name, where the character said he didn't believe in God or Jesus. And I was like "for real" I seriously couldn't imagine anyone not believing in God, Religious indoctrination is an immense thing. The word atheist wasn't even in my vocabulary, in my world atheist didn't exist except in Hollywood movies, they were like aliens and Santa clause. Anyway that was a long time ago and I've only ever met three atheist in real life(one I personally converted) all in the last two years. Atheist are coming out more in nigeria and I hope the trend continues. So the next kid will now that being an atheist is also an option and not just Christianity or Islam.

3 Likes

Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by ChemicalReaction(f): 7:42am On Oct 25, 2016
hahn:

You labelled him an atheist and he isn't. Or do you just seem unable to comprehend what the discussion is about undecided
Twas a mistake and I apologised. He also mistook me for a male, so whats your problem?
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by ChemicalReaction(f): 7:46am On Oct 25, 2016
Lennycool:

Ahhh. I once thought the same, as did most ex religious atheist. The first time I even saw an atheist was in a Hollywood movie, I've forgotten the name, where the character said he didn't believe in God or Jesus. And I was like "for real" I seriously couldn't imagine anyone not believing in God, Religious indoctrination is an immense thing. The word atheist wasn't even in my vocabulary, in my world atheist didn't exist except in Hollywood movies, they were like aliens and Santa clause. Anyway that was a long time ago and I've only ever met three atheist in real life(one I personally converted) all in the last two years. Atheist are coming out more in nigeria and I hope the trend continues. So the next kid will now that being an atheist is also an option and not just Christianity or Islam.
Exactly! You seem to be the only one that understands me. #never met any athiest outside NL.
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by coolbreezy01: 7:49am On Oct 25, 2016
Seun:
Answered earlier here: https://www.nairaland.com/3175859/all-atheists-why-did-atheist/1#47275462
Because you couldn't find answers to your supposed 'difficult questtions'
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by coolbreezy01: 7:55am On Oct 25, 2016
Seun:
Because you couldn't find answers to your supposed 'difficult questions' you gave up on religion so soon...its either you were just a sideline christian or you just never wanted to admit to all the goodness God has done to your lives because of the bigger picture you were looking for, the answers to question that should not be asked but because off our always wantind to know mind you checked and you not finding it just made you a conclusion that 'THERE IS NO GOD'...wow what a way to bacome an atheist...
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by Chubhie: 8:19am On Oct 25, 2016
coolbreezy01:
Because you couldn't find answers to your supposed 'difficult questions' you gave up on religion so soon...its either you were just a sideline christian or you just never wanted to admit to all the goodness God has done to your lives because of the bigger picture you were looking for, the answers to question that should not be asked but because off our always wantind to know mind you checked and you not finding it just made you a conclusion that 'THERE IS NO GOD'...wow what a way to bacome an atheist...
He was approaching organised religion to magically solve his needs. He should attempt Islam,traditional worship,Buddha,Satanism etc before he concludes.

A runaway nun never speaks good of her convent. seun has been forged a rebel due to his not getting manna from all the ills that plagued him.

How far has he gone in solving all those ills with his acts of rebellion against the kingdom of God?
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 25, 2016
ChemicalReaction:
Exactly! You seem to be the only one that understands me. #never met any athiest outside NL.
I've met three now. Like I said, I didn't start meeting them till recently, I make it a point now to inform anyone I care to that I'm an atheist, so atheism will be more visible.
You'll meet more atheist in more Intellectual circles.

3 Likes

Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by hopefulLandlord: 8:35am On Oct 25, 2016
Lennycool:

very good post

2 Likes

Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by coolbreezy01: 8:40am On Oct 25, 2016
Chubhie:

He was approaching organised religion to magically solve his needs. He should attempt Islam,traditional worship,Buddha,Satanism etc before he concludes.

A runaway nun never speaks good of her convent. seun has been forged a rebel due to his not getting manna from all the ills that plagued him.

How far has he gone in solving all those ills with his acts of rebellion against the kingdom of God?
I don't believe in those supposed ills...some times you think some things happening is by coincedence but I don't believe in coincedences so...so do you believe is luck or by your power those things happen...no no it God above by his infinite mercy on you....I knw he is not fair but life itself isn't fair cause if all things and people were equal this world would be the worst place to live in...
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by Chubhie: 8:44am On Oct 25, 2016
coolbreezy01:
I don't believe in those supposed ills...some times you think some things happening is by coincedence but I don't believe in coincedences so...so do you believe is luck or by your power those things happen...no no it God above by his infinite mercy on you....I knw he is not fair but life itself isn't fair cause if all things and people were equal this world would be the worst place to live in...
you lost me there.
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by Seun(m): 9:01am On Oct 25, 2016
coolbreezy01:
I gave up on just assuming that the religion my parents raised me to believe in is true. I decided to withhold belief until I got strong evidence.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by coolbreezy01: 9:13am On Oct 25, 2016
Seun:

I gave up on just assuming that the religion my parents raised me to believe in is true. I decided to withhold belief until I got strong evidence.
So with a solid candid evidence you can believe in God again...what a true atheist you are...u only find solace in facts and what is not beyond your reasoning...
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by ChemicalReaction(f): 10:50am On Oct 25, 2016
Seun:

Wow! This is deep. Real deep!
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by koolJ1(f): 2:12pm On Oct 25, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

How you doing..

*in joey's voice*
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 2:27pm On Oct 25, 2016
koolJ1:

*in joey's voice*

grin grin... funny you
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by TomHagen: 2:40pm On Oct 25, 2016
Lennycool:
It was a long and slow process, no one thing pushed me. But as i got smarter and read more I started to question the bibles teachings and finally I became an atheist.
How does one take a leap from the Bible is ''questionable'' to there's no God?
Re: Why & When Did You Decide To Dump Religion? by TomHagen: 2:45pm On Oct 25, 2016
Lennycool:

I've met three now. Like I said, I didn't start meeting them till recently, I make it a point now to inform anyone I care to that I'm an atheist, so atheism will be more visible.
You'll meet more atheist in more Intellectual circles.
Joke of the day. How many ''intellectual circles'' have you been in?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Find out this Bible verse(s) with the Holy Spirit only / Jesus' Tomb Revealed. Jesus Wasn't Resurrected / The True Gospel Of Jesus Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.