Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates (16517 Views)

Fashola: Plans To Reintroduce Toll Gates Nationwide Concluded / How Buhari Rejected Motion To Endorse Him For Second Term At APC NEC –presidency / FG To Reintroduce Tolls On Federal Highways (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by rickyrex(m): 9:47pm On Oct 25, 2016
bettercreature:
You are wrong we have hundreds of busy roads in Nigeria
It's a good development i just hope it wont be another avenue to siphon money and that accident that involve over 40 vehicles and killed over 200 people at the Ile-ife toll gate few years ago comes to my mind

Pray drivers don't add the toll fee on on transportation cost
Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by Blue3k(m): 9:52pm On Oct 25, 2016
rickyrex:

Pray drivers don't add the toll fee on on transportation cost

Senseless prayer ofcourse they will undecided. It's basic fact of life. Business always pass on cost to the end consumer.

Basic economic says. When cost of input goes up the cost of the good or service in question increases.
Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by COMPAQ(m): 9:58pm On Oct 25, 2016
Rather than the FG collect the toll directly, I would prefer that the roads are concessioned to a road management company for an agreed annual fixed fee over say 10 years, while the firm collects the daily tolls and guarantees 100% quality on the roads. So if the firm pays N1bln to govt and they were able to raise N1.3bln, the N300mln profit is for them, which would still be subject to company income tax anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by redcliff: 10:02pm On Oct 25, 2016
Blue3k:

Oh well can't argue with that. Only thing I would recommend would be decentralize control of these projects to respective local government and states. Then interstate highways can be cooperation between states and federal government.

They should first decentralize Nigeria before talking of decentralizing any other sub arm of any institution, geographic area or entity

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by Blue3k(m): 10:03pm On Oct 25, 2016
COMPAQ:
Rather than the FG collect the toll directly, I would prefer that the roads are concessioned to a road management company for an agreed annual fixed fee over say 10 years, while the firm collects the daily tolls and guarantees 100% quality on the roads. So if the firm pays N1bln to govt and they were able to raise N1.3bln, the N300mln profit is for them, which would still be subject to company income tax anyway.

That's how it works in Dallas Texas. Instead of raising taxes alot hire to upkeep roads they handle it that way. In Houston I think city just handles with extra taxes then collects bids for road work. Only tolled road I remember is hardy toll.

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by anigbajumo(m): 10:07pm On Oct 25, 2016

It can't work, they are only deceiving themselves.It won't go beyond mere reading. Na today Senate dey pass yeye bill??

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by kernel504(m): 10:08pm On Oct 25, 2016
CliffordOrji:
70% of the toll would be gotten from the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. It is the most strategic and busiest road in Nigeria. As an Igbo man I must admit that a very large number of the motorist that use the Lagos-Oibadan Express road are my Igbo brothers who keep running away from Igbo land in search of greener pasturers in Yorubaland. I look forward to the day we Igbos will stop running away from Igboland. I look forward to the day the traffic towards Igboland will be as high as it is Yorubaland .

To prove to you that you are not an Igbo man, ibu efulefu.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by ngmgeek(m): 10:15pm On Oct 25, 2016
All I see is confused and good for nothing arms of government. lipsrsealed undecided kiss
Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by Hanendez(m): 10:56pm On Oct 25, 2016
UchaNwababa:
May God punish them.
"Love those who despitefully use you, bless those who curse you,love your enemies." Matthew 5:44
Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by obailala(m): 10:59pm On Oct 25, 2016
If this would ensure the roads are maintained as roads should be maintained, then it's fine. I would rather pay a token sum and arrive at my destination in peace, on time, with my sanity and with my life. My only worry however is how it would be managed, maintenance of roads should be concessioned to the private sector, government should never be allowed to handle any toll cash, else all collected cash would end up in one big-man's pocket as usual.

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by Originalsly: 11:29pm On Oct 25, 2016
If the FG has been taxing petrol N1.5 per litre for road maintenance and expansion.... and have done very little... why should we hope that reintroducing toll stations would make a difference? Would the petrol tax be dropped? If reintroduced .... no private entity should be in control of the tolls.... that would be taking the lid off the cookie jar.
Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by Edoblakky(m): 11:41pm On Oct 25, 2016
Blue3k:

Their are plenty. Interstate 35 in texas north and south is one. That's just one I can name without thinking. See full list. Check Florida they had alot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll_roads_in_the_United_States

PS the point of picture was to show what electriconic toll collection systems looks like. It's scans licence plates without having to slow flow of traffic. The bill is sent to home or deducted from debit or credit. Next tolls work same length doesn't matter.
Oga, stop lying and ignorantly misinforming people and yourself. I've driven across many interstate highways in the USA.
6 months ago, I drove from Calgary in Canada to Dallas, crossing more than 5 states and spending over 30 hrs. There is no toll on USA federal roads. Tolls are introduced to handle rush hour traffic in high traffic cities like Houston, Dallas, Denver etc. Many cities with low traffic don't even have Tolls.

Go through your link again and learn.
Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by dinggle: 11:42pm On Oct 25, 2016
I tire!...the better thing is for someone to buy his own state and run it as a country.
Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by Blue3k(m): 12:03am On Oct 26, 2016
Edoblakky:
Oga, stop lying and ignorantly misinforming people and yourself. I've driven across many interstate highways in the USA.
6 months ago, I drove from Calgary in Canada to Dallas, crossing more than 5 states and spending over 30 hrs. There is no toll on USA federal roads. Tolls are introduced to handle rush hour traffic in high traffic cities like Houston, Dallas, Denver etc. Many cities with low traffic don't even have Tolls.

Go through your link again and learn.

Nobody lying bozo how are you going to tell me their no toll on Federal road when it clearly says I-35 has toll on it. You need to wake up to reality. Don't mention me again spouting nonsense.

Tolls are introduced to partly for roads also to handle traffic issue. No interstate highway is owned by federal government but by the states. Federal Government and states work together to maintain them. Now stop pretending you know something and read links I provided you.

I-35 route has on 635 in dallas.

http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-035.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Tolled_sections_of_Interstate_Highways
http://www.interstate-guide.com/turnpikes.html
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/faq.cfm#question28
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_System

Ps. I drive on these roads everyday. I pay the tolls I know they exist. Here's a tip if your on a computer hit ctrl f then type I - then you'll see all the examples.

If you on phone you can do the same thing with different set of commands.

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by kiddkash(m): 12:06am On Oct 26, 2016
everyday I watch the beginning of designated survivor and wish it will happen to us. how can you just sit in one corner and decide what will happen to Nigerians without discussing it with them it's like your parents telling you that you'll be a boarder without telling you about it

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by kiddkash(m): 12:07am On Oct 26, 2016
everyday I watch the beginning of designated survivor and wish it will happen to us. how can you just sit in one corner and decide what will happen to Nigerians without discussing it with them it's like your parents telling you that you'll be a boarder without telling you about it just keep looking for new ways to milk Nigerians of what we have
Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by logicab: 12:46am On Oct 26, 2016
WeNigerDelta:

Why do u guys enjoy misinforming people on purpose. That is a city toll to ease rush hour movement, not even state. Now show me a Federal road (Interstate) in the US with tolls. Please...
Dude...New Jersey Turnpike is Interstate (it is actually I-95 in NJ) and it connects NJ to NY and NJ to PA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Turnpike

2 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by Blue3k(m): 3:00am On Oct 26, 2016
logicab:
Dude...New Jersey Turnpike is Interstate (it is actually I-95 in NJ) and it connects NJ to NY and NJ to PA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Turnpike

Lol that numbskull would know tolls exist if he spent 2 minutes reading about interstate highways system. Instead he's busy faking intelligence embarrassing himself. The clown has too much pride to admit he's wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_System
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/faq.cfm#question28

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by ezechueze(m): 3:19am On Oct 26, 2016
After all the taxes paid through FIRS
Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by EFCC777: 3:38am On Oct 26, 2016
is a welcome development. good news. I love it and I like it. wailers oya let go
Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by davidif: 4:47am On Oct 26, 2016
WeNigerDelta:

Why do u guys enjoy misinforming people on purpose. That is a city toll to ease rush hour movement, not even state. Now show me a Federal road (Interstate) in the US with tolls. Please...

Abi o! Why would you try to slow down the pace of commerce in the first place?
Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by davidif: 4:50am On Oct 26, 2016
Blue3k:

Their are plenty. Interstate 35 in texas north and south is one. That's just one I can name without thinking. See full list. Check Florida they had alot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll_roads_in_the_United_States

PS the point of picture was to show what electriconic toll collection systems looks like. It's scans licence plates without having to slow flow of traffic. The bill is sent to home or deducted from debit or credit. Next tolls work same length doesn't matter.

I-35? The same I-35 I used to travel from Houston up to Oklahoma steady??!? Abeg stop speaking untruths.
Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by Nobody: 5:03am On Oct 26, 2016
Some people here mistake FASTRACK and CARPOOL lanes in the USA to toll gate in Nigeria.

In the US, fastrack lane is paid for and there has to be more than one person in a car to use carpool lane. These lanes are mapped out from other FREE lanes on the highway whereas the Nigeria toll gate makes it mandatory for all road users to pay for a road that was built with their taxes.

God punish our leaders.

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by Nobody: 5:09am On Oct 26, 2016
davidif:

I-35? The same I-35 I used to travel from Houston up to Oklahoma steady??!? Abeg stop speaking untruths.
The dude obviously is mistaking. Fastrack lane sometimes gets cut off from highways leading users through a flyover just to make their journey faster but it will surely link up with the highway later. That doesn't mean its a road on its own.

We have then in 1-405 and 1-110 here in California.

Infact, most carpool lanes end up being fastrack lanes when getting towards major cities like LA.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by Nobody: 5:23am On Oct 26, 2016
SirJeffry:
The dude obviously is mistaking. Fastrack lane sometimes gets cut off from highways leading users through a flyover just to make their journey faster but it will surely link up with the highway later. That doesn't mean its a road on its own.

We have then in 1-405 and 1-110 here in California.

Infact, most carpool lanes end up being fastrack lanes when getting towards major cities like LA.
As a fellow Californian, I can relate to your post

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by vineyardfarms: 5:29am On Oct 26, 2016
These Confussed Senators Should Intoduced Bills To Cut Their Own Budget, Allowances, Padding, Flint Of Cars, Hotel Bills, Lovers Bills, Prostitutes Bills Etc Constituency Poke Belly Projects.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by Klassicjimmy(m): 5:56am On Oct 26, 2016
I just wonder why "WE" choose to allow ourselves to be misguided,misdirected or mis-led.
After the N1.50 added to pump price for road maintenance,money would stil be colleted from the masses in the name of toll gate.
Instead of campaigning against this unlawful over taxation,you are all arguing about the busiest highway which none of these "FORTUNATE,DAYTIME ROBBERS" called senators or politicians would pay a dime.

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by loveslife(f): 5:59am On Oct 26, 2016
kiss
Keneking:
Ok...even if it will alleviate the sufferings around Umunya along Enugu-Onitsha expressway, Anambra State. cry cry

Honestly eh, there needs to a state of emergency declared on that very road. Pity people traveling by December.
Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by Lagban(m): 6:03am On Oct 26, 2016
I am sure u r nt in Nigeria. U r wicked
bettercreature:
You are wrong we have hundreds of busy roads in Nigeria
It's a good development i just hope it wont be another avenue to siphon money and that accident that involve over 40 vehicles and killed over 200 people at the Ile-ife toll gate few years ago comes to my mind
Re: Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates by mikkypel(m): 6:08am On Oct 26, 2016
One of my lecturers do say if the roads can be privatized, it would be in good condition cuz the owner will see to its maintenance as soon as possible so that more people can patronize that road.. I looked into it and I think it's a great idea

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Meets With Nigerians Living In Senegal (photo) / Court Stops NASS, Police, DSS From Taking Over Edo Assembly / CSO To Masari: You’ve Lost Capacity To Govern Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.