Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,702 members, 7,805,888 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London (10109 Views)

Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award / "I Named My Granddaughter Chimamanda" Spanish Fan Tells Chimamanda Adichie / The Man: Bob Dylan, Newly Crowned Nobel Laureate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by OkoNDOoBo: 8:41pm On Oct 26, 2016
Poet and English teacher Caleb Femi, who has just been
named the first young people’s laureate for London, is
hoping to re-engage disenfranchised young people through
poetry.
The 26-year-old from Peckham was chosen for the role by a
panel including the Poetry Society and the Forward Arts
Foundation. He will hold the position for a year, during
which time he will set out to give Londoners aged between
13 and 25 a “platform to voice their concerns and
experiences through poetry”, said Spread the Word,
London’s writer development agency, announcing its choice
of laureate.
Femi, who stopped teaching at the end of the summer term,
said he was ready to give the laureate role “my all”. “I hope
to re-engage young people, who have long been
disenfranchised, through poetry,” said the poet. “I don’t see
it as far-fetched to normalise poetry among all
demographics of young people in London. Poetry is the one
of the purest forms of conversation. At its best, it allows us
to communicate from an honest and safe place. And young
people deserve to be included in such spaces.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/oct/03/poet-caleb-femi-named-first-young-peoples-laureate-for-london

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 26, 2016
Omo eko ni

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by freesinzu(m): 10:30pm On Oct 26, 2016
Omo iya mi, gbayi jawe wink

8 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by tyson98: 6:08am On Oct 27, 2016
wasere omo odua tokantokan

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by chiefolododo(m): 6:08am On Oct 27, 2016
He is YORUBA

14 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by Nobody: 6:09am On Oct 27, 2016
The guy above me...before you open your mouth and start a tribally influenced sentiment...remember it says "South Londoner"...

He did not get it while being an Ejebu-Ode Grammar School teacher... grin grin grin grin

Omo Odua on the news mehn... grin grin grin grin grin #JOGS

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by Tytylion(m): 6:09am On Oct 27, 2016
Contact me for your Dulux Paint supply and application, 08120541533
Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by StoneLucifer: 6:09am On Oct 27, 2016
Good...
Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by queenmonalisa01: 6:09am On Oct 27, 2016
Okay dear
Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by omenka(m): 6:12am On Oct 27, 2016
Wow. Awesome. Big congrats to him. smiley
Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by legendarystar: 6:13am On Oct 27, 2016
that's good news, omo oduduwa repping

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by omenka(m): 6:13am On Oct 27, 2016
chiefolododo:
He is YORUBA
If I flog you ehn!! cheesycheesy

2 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by IamBLAZER(m): 6:13am On Oct 27, 2016
Young people in nigeria also need a platform like this to air their concerns.
Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by SirShymexx: 6:18am On Oct 27, 2016
Lol. That's my dargy right there lol.

North Peckham estate got two...and they're two of the brightest young folks under 30 in the world. Caleb Femi and John Boyega. Posted Femi's poem about Peckham on here last year lol.

He got stabbed. Got shot at a few times. Yet he moved to greater things in life. Man like Femi.

If you know, you know - if you don't, keep living looool. PeckNizzy, PeckNarm - home of the brave. None like us - other chat, but we just do it like Nike. Dunno lol.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by CliffordOrji: 6:22am On Oct 27, 2016
chiefolododo:
He is YORUBA
This is no news. Na Yoruba people full Peckham

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by cornel00(m): 6:24am On Oct 27, 2016
NCAN, Enugu branch disappointed, he's an afon.ja

4 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by Nobody: 6:33am On Oct 27, 2016
Yorubas are the masters of art.

7 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by muller101(m): 6:33am On Oct 27, 2016
Tribal bigots. Breakfast has been served. Any way I love yorubas. I will marry one from osun.

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by lepasharon(f): 6:36am On Oct 27, 2016
Aww he cute
Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by TVTKOKO(m): 6:39am On Oct 27, 2016
lepasharon:
Aww he cute
yea,, demons are cute people tongue tongue tongue
Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by lepasharon(f): 6:42am On Oct 27, 2016
TVTKOKO:
yea,, demons are cute people tongue tongue tongue

You wot mate? undecided

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by hok4u(f): 6:43am On Oct 27, 2016
#Afonja
Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by slurryeye: 6:43am On Oct 27, 2016
It is not a surprise to see a Yoruba person repping anywhere they are. That's the tradition..... You're brought up to know that you've an obligation to bring good name to your family

Like the popular yoruba saying:

Oruko rere o san ju wura and fadaka lo

Good name is better than gold and silver

9 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by TVTKOKO(m): 6:49am On Oct 27, 2016
lepasharon:

You wot mate? undecided
mate wot you? undecided undecided
Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by makdcash(m): 6:55am On Oct 27, 2016
Cow! Take it

orimsamsam:
Afonjas are truly representing Nigeria.

[size=32pt]Ugwuchukwu Flatinonso[/size]. Will Avoid this thread

2 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by Igwegbe(m): 6:59am On Oct 27, 2016
Olo show
Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by Jansen915: 7:08am On Oct 27, 2016
Make us proud
Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by Tedassie(m): 7:09am On Oct 27, 2016
lepasharon:
Aww he cute
easy on d crushing na

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by orimsamsam(m): 7:10am On Oct 27, 2016
makdcash:
Cow! Take it

[size=30pt]Ugwu[/size]chukwu [size=30pt]Flati[/size]nonso

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by QuietHammer(m): 7:16am On Oct 27, 2016
Flatties_ after seeing this..

6 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Named The First Young People’s Laureate For London by cyojunior1(m): 7:21am On Oct 27, 2016
Afonja been doing tins since 00 B. C

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. / Meaning Of The saying" The Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born" / LOST IN UNIPORT (a Story Of Vengeance, Crime And Betrayal) ft chimexplosive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.