Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,381 members, 7,808,357 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency (30500 Views)

National Assembly Takes Over Control Of CCB, CCT From President / Aisha Buhari's Interview: BBC Defies Pressure From Presidency, Dogara & Daura / Senators Form G77 To Remove EFCC From Presidency Control (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by stsinner: 8:05pm On Oct 27, 2016
meetbalo:
ave u forgotten dat the veto power lies within the presidency
for yankee or naija?
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by ayyumud(m): 8:18pm On Oct 27, 2016
yerilistik:
This is corruption fighting back and frustrating PMB's efforts to get the country rid of corruption.
The legislators and the judiciary the greatest headache of this government of CHANGE !
May God help us.

#SAYNOTOCORRUPTION#
But the Executive are so clean abi?
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by TheFreeOne: 8:35pm On Oct 27, 2016
adanny01:

And I can't find your own position. It seem you are happy the legislative are only interested on their welfare.

The president enjoys enormous power under our constitution and recent events have shown the presidency will not shy away from using maximum power to its advantage then it's expected that other arms of government will also asserts their own rights.

So are we surprised the NASS is exercising its legislative power to make such laws? Politics is a game of interests but unfortunately in naijas case it's a game of selfish interests of politicians.

However I am not a fan of those representhieves and sinators 'cos their bogus salaries / allowances/ lifestyles are insult to nigerians/civil servants who took daily to survive whilst they feed fat and insults our intelligence.

1 Like

Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by Kdon2: 8:41pm On Oct 27, 2016
SillyMods:
Any bill deemed not to be in the interest of the masses will not be accented to by the president.

That I can assure. cool cool

Sidon there! I hope no be this una puppet president na im u dey hope on sha
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by docadams: 8:41pm On Oct 27, 2016
This thread has shown the shallowness of many in Nigerian politics. Since I started following politics (circa 1979), I am not aware of any occasion where a president had to exercise his veto power. But if ever there was, I doubt if any NASS succeeded in overturning such presidential veto.
No arm of govt wants to get into such murky waters. But if it does get there, the executive holds the upper hand via party allegiance, ethnic and religious favours, lobbying, and blackmail.
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by BERNIMOORE: 9:15pm On Oct 27, 2016
docadams:
This thread has shown the shallowness of many in Nigerian politics. Since I started following politics (circa 1979), I am not aware of any occasion where a president had to exercise his veto power. But if ever there was, I doubt if any NASS succeeded in overturning such presidential veto.
No arm of govt wants to get into such murky waters. But if it does get there, the executive holds the upper hand via party allegiance, ethnic and religious favours, lobbying, and blackmail.

Bolded are you saying That your Experience should be a yardstick? Hear yourself o: ''the executive holds the upper hand via party allegiance, ethnic and religious favours, lobbying, and blackmail''

where were all these powers when Saraki had 84 out of 109 more than 2/3rd of senate passing vote of confidence on saraki?http://dailypost.ng/2015/09/29/84-senators-pass-confidence-vote-on-saraki
even whn they cannot appear each senator hired a SAN for saraki!

The president will soon be made ''isolated'' and he will soon learn what he cannot read Now!

1 Like

Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by ProudArewa: 9:51pm On Oct 27, 2016
BERNIMOORE:
Bolded are you saying That your Experience should be a yardstick? Hear yourself o: ''the executive holds the upper hand via party allegiance, ethnic and religious favours, lobbying, and blackmail''

where were all these powers when Saraki had 84 out of 109 more than 2/3rd of senate passing vote of confidence on saraki?http://dailypost.ng/2015/09/29/84-senators-pass-confidence-vote-on-saraki
even whn they cannot appear each senator hired a SAN for saraki!

The president will soon be made ''isolated'' and he will soon learn what he cannot read Now!
u support anything dat is against Buhari... Even if dat bill succeed, Buhari will not be dere as president forever, dae masses will be dey once to suffer...so u beta stop dae hate and tink about dae future
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by Reinvented: 10:56pm On Oct 27, 2016
PROPHETmichael:

Don't forget the 2/3rd doesn't necessary means 2/3rd in the hallow chamber....na Sakari go ask "“Those in support say Aye and those against say nay" and na him go still say “The ayes have it” irrespective of how loud the "northeren lawbreakers" were grin
Laff wan kill for this your post. grin grin grin
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by Reinvented: 11:07pm On Oct 27, 2016
feeloscar:
How are they going to get the 2/3?
By first amending the Senate rule.
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by mystmoze(m): 11:36pm On Oct 27, 2016
docadams:
Who will sign the bill into law?
go back to study government again ....if the same bill is sent to the president thrice without him giving it consent...the law maker through the quorum have the power to make it a standing law
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by mystmoze(m): 11:39pm On Oct 27, 2016
BERNIMOORE:
Good Question, The Answer is Not Far Fetched;

Section 9(2) and, more importantly, Section 58(1) and (5) which states that (1) The power of the National Assembly to make laws shall be exercised by bills passed by both the Senate and the House of Representatives and, except as otherwise provided by subsection (5) of this section, assented to by the President; and (5) which states that Where the President withholds his assent and the bill is again passed by each House by two-thirds majority, the bill shall become law and the assent of the President shall not be required!

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/08/constitution-amendment-imbroglio-presidential-assent-needed-or-not-needed/

Buhari Will be stripped Of His Powers As Soon As the Lesgislative And Judiciary Decides to Stamp their Authorities grin grin

Enjoy The show!

ur papa no waste money at all....u know book gan
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by henryuzor(m): 11:55pm On Oct 27, 2016
PROPHETmichael:

Don't you know that after a certain number of days, if the president refuses to sign any bill, the national assembly can override him and sign the bill using a 2/3 vote of both the House & Senate?
How will they get 2/3 of both houses....you think say it easy
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by eyesofgod: 1:51am On Oct 28, 2016
mystmoze:

go back to study government again ....if the same bill is sent to the president thrice without him giving it consent...the law maker through the quorum have the power to make it a standing law

You need re-schooling about real life politics. What is the definition of democracy, again? Government of the people by the people bla bla bla... abi? But what do you have in reality? Government of the corrupt and mighty by the corrupt and mighty for the corrupt and mighty.
Go back to history and telll me if a presidential veto(if any) has ever been overtuned

Below are instances where GEJ refused to accent to bills from the NASS. Did NASS attempt overriding Mr President? No. Note that they didnt even attempt to. Why? It is a mission nigh impossible. It is more profitable not to vote against Mr President than to vote against him.

https://www.nairaland.com/2024710/gej-refused-sign-120-bills#28516760

https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://guardian.ng/features/law/did-president-goodluck-jonathan-veto-4th-alteration-to-the-constitution-of-the-federal-republic-of-nigeria-1999/&ved=0ahUKEwj9uqbtn_zPAhWEXBoKHU_CAdQQFghdMAk&usg=AFQjCNH7Y5s3i7yQUTNIob6XyGNYGc_Wqg
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by chinjo(m): 3:37am On Oct 28, 2016
linearity:

If as it is now...'they are divided along party lines', it means they will not have a two-third majority to over-ride any Presidential veto...plus the fact that, been divided along party lines, means we have more people opposed to the amendment, since the number of APC members are higher...so this amendment is DOA.
Bru don't be deceived. When it comes to the National Assembly, Saraki and Dogara has the largest followers. Remember that the APC is divided and it is the PDP that determines what goes on in both chambers. PDP will always support the Saraki and Dogara factions
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by Blue3k(m): 3:42am On Oct 28, 2016
docadams:
Who will sign the bill into law?

I'm not sure how it work In Nigeria but if it has voto proof majority it should pass no matter what.
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by berrystunn(m): 7:22am On Oct 28, 2016
modath:

2/3rd of mostly northern lawbreakers? Sidson dia. cool

Senate president and his followers are from West abi??
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by Pennywise(m): 7:48am On Oct 28, 2016
A bunch of shameless and uneducated vagabonds and opportunists. They are over playing their hand.

An igbo foolish senator recently said let's go for the 'jugular' meaning let's impeach Buhari.

A bunch of Hausa thugs will drive them away from Aso rock and kill those who won't run fast enough.

Do these Saraki group think this is democracy?

Buhari's silence is being misinterpreted as weakness. Let them wait till when he gets his second ticket.
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by adanny01(m): 8:32am On Oct 28, 2016
TheFreeOne:

The president enjoys enormous power under our constitution and recent events have shown the presidency will not shy away from using maximum power to its advantage then it's expected that other arms of government will also asserts their own rights.

So are we surprised the NASS is exercising its legislative power to make such laws? Politics is a game of interests but unfortunately in naijas case it's a game of selfish interests of politicians.

However I am not a fan of those representhieves and sinators 'cos their bogus salaries / allowances/ lifestyles are insult to nigerians/civil servants who took daily to survive whilst they feed fat and insults our intelligence.

Now that is an honest opinion.

I do agree with you on all you've said. On the issue of CCT, even if what they are trying to do is right, the timing is wrong. Apart from the timing, Nigerians have no confidence in the 8th assembly. They should have been trying to buy confidence if Nigerians but no, its all selfishness and show of power. If you ask me, between the National Assembly and the president as at now, I will choose the President. That makes what they are doing not in the interest of Nigerians or me in particular but for their selfishness.

Its just like the subsidy saga when GEJ tried to remove it, Nigerians kicked, not because it wasn't the right thing but for the circumstance and lack of confidence. They agreed for PMB just because of the circumtances and confidence
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by drnoel: 9:04am On Oct 28, 2016
emmaraphael:

nice question

Me think u have forgotten that that too has been amended. If the presidency doesn't sign a bill before the expiration of 90 days that bill become effective after then without the national assembly having to review it. So Buhari's only action will be to delay signing and reject the bill at the last moment.
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by aisammy4: 9:26am On Oct 28, 2016
TheFreeOne:
Will it help Saraki to win his case at the CCT

No I don't think so.

yEYE people, them want to turn CCT ruling to favour themselves becus all of them na criminal.
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by knightehis(m): 10:21am On Oct 28, 2016
See Nigerian senators, shame...
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by mikolo80: 1:23am On Oct 29, 2016
BERNIMOORE:
Good Question, The Answer is Not Far Fetched;

Section 9(2) and, more importantly, Section 58(1) and (5) which states that (1) The power of the National Assembly to make laws shall be exercised by bills passed by both the Senate and the House of Representatives and, except as otherwise provided by subsection (5) of this section, assented to by the President; and (5) which states that Where the President withholds his assent and the bill is again passed by each House by two-thirds majority, the bill shall become law and the assent of the President shall not be required!

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/08/constitution-amendment-imbroglio-presidential-assent-needed-or-not-needed/

Buhari Will be stripped Of His Powers As Soon As the Lesgislative And Judiciary Decides to Stamp their Authorities grin grin

Enjoy The show!

and efcc will strip Tease Nass of its liberty if buhari DECIDES TO STAMP HIS AUTHORITY
Re: National Assembly Takes Over Power To Control CCT From Presidency by mikolo80: 1:25am On Oct 29, 2016
veraponpo:

Obviously the fate of the bill would be like that of PIB that has been perpetually dead on arrival.

Buhari will not sign it. May be next President will.
hmm it's like you've never seen bill passed in under an hour

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet Princess Elizabeth Bright, The Youngest Councillor In The UK / PDP Leaders Meet Presidential Aspirants In Port Harcourt (Photos) / Sanwo-Olu: Lagos Is Ready To Deliver 4th Mainland Bridge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.