Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,022 members, 7,799,489 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Why Do Nigerians Revere Corrupt Past Leaders? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nigerians Revere Corrupt Past Leaders? (395 Views)

BREAKING: Past Leaders Conduct Close Door Meeting Over Buhari’s Health Condition / "Nigeria’s Past Leaders Have No Right To Talk" - Oshiomhole / Buhari Blames Economic Woes On Past Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Revere Corrupt Past Leaders? by Nobody: 3:57am On Oct 28, 2016
From the controversial/disputed ones such as Shehu Shagari and the openly known ones such Sani Abacha, Alameisya, etc, Nigerians have a tradition of keeping people who ran this country to the ground on high pedestals.
I can understand the controversial ones, at least some people believe they were great so that's the reason they were revered, but as for people like Abacha, Babangida, etc. . .
Look at Hitler, for example. He's a dark time in German history, and all Germans are taught about his era as a dark one and a stain in their nation's history. A time in their country they never want to go back to.
Yet, here in Nigeria, on current affairs pamphlets sold in traffic, you'll see Abacha's name as a 'hero of Nigeria' or 'Founding father' when we all know what went down during his administration.
I'm currently watching Jide Olanrewaju's documentary of Nigeria and just wondering how we allowed ourselves to rot to this point. I was nearly moved to tears by some of the horrors of the civil war. It will not be well with anyone who agitates for another war to happen.
Despite all these black stains in our history, among the living ones who ran us to the ground, we call them 'Elder Statesmen' (like the one who killed a honorable journalist with a letter bomb) and the late ones are still respected as 'heroes'. I'm baffled, honestly.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Revere Corrupt Past Leaders? by dEastActivist: 5:05am On Oct 28, 2016
Abacha is not corrupt, buhari said this not Nigerians. Go and task him.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Revere Corrupt Past Leaders? by Izonpikin: 5:11am On Oct 28, 2016
Poverty ,witch hunt and tribalism is the answer...

Poverty::..leaders lead many on with money and they end up getting support despite being corrupt..

Tribalism:: na from my place so make I support am...

Witch hunt::..why must you torch light the issues of only my person but turn your eyes from the sins of your own people..

So let's enjoy our corrupt leaders...

Only the masses can bring an end to corrupt leaders...

REVOLUTION...!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Revere Corrupt Past Leaders? by kikies(m): 5:13am On Oct 28, 2016
The poster above me has said enuff

The one below me myt just want to summarise in 2 sentences, so that the lazy ones can benefit also.......poster below,over to u

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Revere Corrupt Past Leaders? by babyfaceafrica: 5:56am On Oct 28, 2016
Poverty,education deficiency and ethnic bigotry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Revere Corrupt Past Leaders? by akpanbaba: 8:06am On Oct 28, 2016
The only reason is that there is a reward for stupid reverence
When a corrupt leader pays school fees,buys food build schools at all levels provides other things,he will suck senses out of nigerians. who suppose to look at him as an enemy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Revere Corrupt Past Leaders? by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 28, 2016
OK, good, it seems like everyone on nairaland acknowledges the problems. . . then what can we do about them??

(1) (Reply)

Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30 Billion / MIIP Editorial Board Agrees On Facelift For Brand / No Contract,no Graft.2 Ways Melaye Collects Auto To Compensate For Poor Boyhood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.