Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,808 members, 7,802,587 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari (10723 Views)

We Supply Products To You Despite N26.7 Billion Debt - NNPC Replies Marketers / Osinbajo Appoints Patience Oniha As DG Of Debt Management Office / Check Your State Domestic Debt Chart- Debt Management Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by CHIJIOKE1314: 6:00am On Oct 28, 2016
The Debt Management Office, DMO, has advised the Federal Government not to borrow above $22.08 billion in 2017.
The DMO gave the recommendation on Tuesday in its 2016 Debt Sustainability Analysis (DSA) report, obtained by the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos.
In the report, DMO stated that the end-period on Net Present Value (NPV) of the Total Public Debt-to-GDP ratio for 2016 for the Federal Government was projected at 13.5 per cent.
”The maximum amount that can be borrowed (domestic and external) by the Federal Government of Nigeria in 2017, without violating the country-specific threshold, will be 22.08 billion dollars (i.e. 5.89 per cent of 374.95 billion dollars).
”The Debt Management Strategy, 2016-2019 provides for the rebalancing of the debt portfolio from its composition of 84:16 as at the end of December, 2015 to an optimal composition of 60:40 by the end of December, 2019 for domestic to external debts, respectively.
It explained that the development supported the use of more external finance for funding capital projects, noting that the policy was in line with the focus of the present administration on speeding up infrastructure development in the country.
The DMO stated that it would achieve this by substituting the relatively expensive domestic borrowing in favour of cheaper external financing.

”This policy stance has been reinforced by the recent deterioration in macroeconomic variables, particularly with respect to the rising cost of domestic borrowing.

”Hence, the shift of emphasis to external borrowing would help to reduce debt service burden in the short to medium-term and further create more borrowing space for the private sector in the domestic market.
”Accordingly, for the fiscal year 2017, the maximum amount that can be borrowed is 22.08 billion U.S. dollars and it is proposed to be obtained from both the domestic and external sources as follows:
”New Domestic Borrowing 5.52 billion U.S. dollars (equivalent of about N1.6 billion) and New External Borrowing: 16.56 billion U.S dollars (equivalent of about N4.8 billion).”
The DMO also emphasised that the recommendation was made, taking into account the absorptive capacity of the domestic debt market and the options available in the external market.
Nigeria’s total debt portfolio rose 30 per cent to $62 billion in 2014, up from $47.6 billion as at September 2013.
The country’s external debt stood at $9.52 billion, 15 per cent of the entire debt stock.
Domestic borrowing, however, accounted for bulk of the total money owed by Africa’s largest economy.
Prior to the 2005 debt relief, bad debt management practices led to the payment of $4.9 billion yearly on debt servicing.

https://www.today.ng/business/203937/borrow-22-billion-dmo-tells-buhari

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by kinzation(m): 6:06am On Oct 28, 2016
hmmm... If he borrows more than the stated amount,una go know..? the amount he wants to borrow pray it survives the sectors of the economy...
NAIJA BORROW BORROW. Make I run borrow matches from my Neighbor
DONT TOUCH THIS SPACE

BEWARE

8 Likes

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by kokosin: 6:06am On Oct 28, 2016
if buhari is a good leader he shld sell his cows and put d money in d treasury

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:09am On Oct 28, 2016
I'm not against Buhari borrowing, I'm only scared that 40% of that money might be used in clearing grasses grin

79 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by HabaSeun: 6:15am On Oct 28, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:
I'm not against Buhari borrowing, I'm only scared that 40% of that money might be used in clearing grasses grin

Abi?
There is actually nothing wrong with borrowing, the problem lies with what the borrowed fund will be used for and in this our naija we know where 70% of the money is going to. undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by CHIJIOKE1314: 6:17am On Oct 28, 2016
Imagine, he didn't even consult the DMO before proposing to collect this loan..

He wakes up from sleep and asks one of his illiterates aids to prepare the proposal and off they go..

We are being ruled by a reputational MUMU...
kokosin:
if buhari is a good leader he shld sell his cows and put d money in d treasury

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 6:20am On Oct 28, 2016
Borrowing $100bn dollars is not the problem... if they are used for revenue generating projects that can pay off the loan no problem. ..

Government should tell us which project each money is meant for and the feasibility study, tge revenue projections.. That's what the PDP and other partys should demand

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by seunmsg(m): 6:21am On Oct 28, 2016
Even $22billion loan is still high and scary. The possibility of government officials mismanaging the funds is very high despite the ongoing war on corruption. If the loans would be obtained at all, it should be tied to specific developmental project like building rail lines, massive road construction and power plants. Borrowed funds should not be given to ministries to play with else, they will mismanage it as usual.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by Generalkorex(m): 6:28am On Oct 28, 2016
Hope he listen
Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by CHIJIOKE1314: 6:39am On Oct 28, 2016
mrvitalis:
Borrowing $100bn dollars is not the problem... if they are used for revenue generating projects that can pay off the loan no problem. ..

Government should tell us which project each money is meant for and the feasibility study, tge revenue projections.. That's what the PDP and other partys should demand

Which government are you referring? There is no government here.. Just one silly old mtherfvcka parading with his club of criminals running the event of our time..

Buhari is criminal who has come to steal and kill just like the biblical description of the devil..

He has nothing in his brain and nothing shall he offer..

Imagine the Idďiotic basťarď didn't even bother consulting or at least wait for DMO's advice before going ahead with his barbarian directive..

27 Likes

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by AlwaysUltraPad: 6:43am On Oct 28, 2016
What!
Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by Klamour: 6:44am On Oct 28, 2016
One wonders why a President would make plans to borrow money, send the proposal to the Senate for approval, while the DMO hasn't approved the plan. If the DMO is not in the know about this borrowing, how can they manage the debt?

They may just be borrowing for 2019 elections anyway. Naija yaf finishhhh.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 6:48am On Oct 28, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:

Which government are you referring? There is no government here.. Just one silly old mtherfvcka parading with his club of criminals running the event of our time..

Buhari is criminal who has come to steal and kill just like the biblical description of the devil..

He has nothing in his brain and nothing shall he offer..

Imagine the Idďiotic basťarď didn't even bother consulting or at least wait for DMO's advice before going ahead with his barbarian directive..
Read about perception n judgement u need to free up

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by hungryboy(m): 6:49am On Oct 28, 2016
The dullard wan put Nigeria in eternal debt before we vote am out in 2019,
All the trillions were him talk say him recover
Him use am play football bet?

8 Likes

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by engrMikemd(m): 6:50am On Oct 28, 2016
let the blaming begin

1 Like

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by CHIJIOKE1314: 7:03am On Oct 28, 2016
mrvitalis:

Why should I free up?

Buhari is like tumor and you don't tackle cancerous tumor with Olive oil..
You apply the most dreaded solutions on the ''most dreaded'' conditions(surgery)..

Surgery is the only solution to rid Nigeria of this monster president..

Quote me and WIN another response.. SMH

13 Likes

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by adconline(m): 7:07am On Oct 28, 2016
Without consulting DMO? This man is really a President Buhari propelled by Cabals. Where the critical areas of need? So we're going to put Naija to Paris Club era? Are we borrowing against our national assets to fund a consumption budget of 70% recurrent expenditure?

4 Likes

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by GoggleB(m): 7:09am On Oct 28, 2016
If Buhari continues acting like this without proper consultation Nigeria will soon be put up for sale on eBay

7 Likes

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by GoggleB(m): 7:11am On Oct 28, 2016
grin Buhari want to borrow money to do MMM so it can yield profit grin

Na joke before zombies start to they quote me because I make fun of their dullard leader.

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by dunkem21(m): 7:12am On Oct 28, 2016
He didn't consult the DMO? ..

..Same reason 'Ambassadorial nominees rejected their slots sad

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by CHIJIOKE1314: 7:15am On Oct 28, 2016
mrvitalis:

My friend,

I just did a quick rundown on ur timeline to discover you are one of those I and other NL 'wailers' would love to tag a zombie but, I am never gonna call u a zombie today, ahh swear!

...but would definitely love to understand why I need to give Buhari more time to continue with this ghost dance..

Please, enlighten me..

9 Likes

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 28, 2016
Hmmmmmm

First he came and said he wants emergency powers, they said NO

Secondly he went back and came back that he wants to sell NLNG to his cronies, they said NO

Now he came back that he wants to borrow the largest amount of money ever seen in the history of any African country

Mr abokii agenda to finish Nigerians forever has many faces. This is one of the faces

9 Likes

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by CHIJIOKE1314: 7:27am On Oct 28, 2016
Uptil today Buhari and his crop of unrepentant illiterates has been very effective on one thing and on that ''one thing'' only; Failed promises..

He promised 'heaven on earth' during his boring campaign without any substance back in 2014 and out of bigotry adorned on Nigerians DNA, an illiterate Gworo molester became the president..

Now in 2016, after he failed and subsequently canceling and denying all his promises and not even fulfilling even a look-alike promise, he returned with the same Zombie rhythm of 'I will'(the same promises) in 2017..

Who wan wait?

Now he wants to go borrow raw cash without consulting his fellow Zombies..

4 Likes

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by omowolewa: 7:33am On Oct 28, 2016
Borrowing to improve productivity is welcomed but when its on petty things, my hand no dey (as if my opinon counts).
Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by Agimor(m): 7:34am On Oct 28, 2016
I dedicate this to that moronic MOD that place abam on me both in politics and job vacancies section. Power indeed intoxicate..

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by CHIJIOKE1314: 7:47am On Oct 28, 2016
I am still staring by the thread waiting for the 'hailers' to come and explain to us why the dullard-in-chief keep making us to wail assiduously ..
Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 8:01am On Oct 28, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:

My friend,

I just did a quick rundown on ur timeline to discover you are one of those I and other NL 'wailers' would love to tag a zombie but, I am never gonna call u a zombie today, ahh swear!

...but would definitely love to understand why I need to give Buhari more time to continue with this ghost dance..

Please, enlighten me..
The man has a 4 years term... . Give him 3 and half years atleast
Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 28, 2016
grin grin grin grin

When barking up the wrong tree sounds serious...

#BabaNowThatYouAreDeaf

1 Like

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by tolexy007(m): 8:35am On Oct 28, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:

my thought actually...

1 Like

Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by davodyguy: 8:37am On Oct 28, 2016
great

Just a note of caution and not that we shouldn't borrow our way out of recession.
Re: Don’t Borrow Above $22 Billion – Debt Management Office Warns Buhari by Iaeku50: 8:40am On Oct 28, 2016
Chai

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Rejects Acting CJN, Tanko Says Inauguration Of Tribunal Judges Is Illegal / Insecurity: Uzodinma To Launch New Security Outfit / Avoid Delayed Justice, CJN, Ariwoola Tells Magistrates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.