Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

Crossing Lines - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Crossing Lines (3178 Views)

Dotted Lines / Book Summary - Crossing The Chasm By Geoffery Moore / Blurred Lines, Or Ignatius' Test- Short Fiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crossing Lines by Chummypinky(f): 7:55pm On Nov 06, 2016
please update...............abeg..............love your story like die lolz nice work....

1 Like

Re: Crossing Lines by Nobody: 10:13pm On Nov 08, 2016
Sorry for late update...
Re: Crossing Lines by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 08, 2016
CHAPTER ELEVEN

The drive was very quite except for the occasional grumbling of Mary. Segun silently assessed the men occupying the front seats. It was difficult seeing their faces but he noticed the striking resemblance. They were brothers for sure, most probably twins. Segun had never seen them and had his doubts about their mission. They said Paul sent them but he didn't believe that. Paul would have informed him prior the mission that he'd be sending someone. So, who were these men and why did they lie that Paul sent them? Are they working for The Network too? It's possible. Segun sighed, they'd just saved his life from that man... That man. Segun didn't know what to make of him. The man was extremely fast, supernaturally fast. And somehow, those three bullets didn't kill him. Bulletproof jacket, Segun thought. But that doesn't explain the speed. He looked at Mary, who was barely conscious. That was when he noticed the swell on her forehead. She must have hit her head bad. What is going on?

Thom got off the tarred road and joined a dusty one. They'd ridden for 30 minutes and were almost 50kms away from the city. He looked occasionally at Segun through the back mirror and he could tell by the expression on his face that he was sceptical about them. Tim didn't seem to care though, he just faced the road ahead. They got to a house and got out of the car, except Mary who was already fast asleep. Tim noticed the pistol in Segun's hand and pointed at it.
"I don't think you'll be needing that anymore," he said.
"Okay," Segun replied, still holding the weapon firm in his hand. He bent and tried to get Mary out of the car.
"Let me help with that," Thom said and carried her into the house, while Tim and Segun waited outside.
"When is Paul coming?" Segun asked.
"Paul is not coming? We're assigned to keep you safe till the dust settles."
"What dust? And who are you guys?"
"You don't know, do you?" Tim said, "they sent someone to kill you."
"What? Who?"
"I'm not sure. There are rumours that The Network is doing a clean up."
"A clean… I…" Segun ran out of question and allowed his mind wander. Could they have sent that super fast man to kill him. But why will The Network want to terminate him. He was one of their best agent… killer. And what was that at the construction site, he'd had a perfect line of shot on the third man. But he somehow managed to dodge it. It was that man that pushed him off, how could he do that...
"But who are y…" Segun was lost in thought and didn't see Thom sneaking up on him. The latter knocked him out with the butt of gun.
Thom and Tim stared at one another before dragging an unconscious Segun into the house.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crossing Lines by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 08, 2016
Chummypinky:
please update...............abeg..............love your story like die lolz nice work....
Tnx... Updated.
Re: Crossing Lines by evemeshma(f): 7:38pm On Nov 09, 2016
nice story, abeg kwatinu
Re: Crossing Lines by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 10, 2016
evemeshma:
nice story, abeg kwatinu
Tnx dear... Next chapter up.
Re: Crossing Lines by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 10, 2016
CHAPTER TWELVE

Raji found some clothes left to dry on a line. He picked a shirt and a trouser that fitted and hid behind a tree to change from his prison clothes. As he walked away, he reminisced about what had just happened. His two 'brothers' had been shot right before his eyes. And a third bullet was surely destined for him but somehow he dodged. He'd joined the others who took cover but immediately took advantage of the situation and escaped.
He'd ran almost two kilometers through the bushes. After changing into new clothes, he walked to a less busy road and waited. He knew there wouldn't be a search out for him till later in the day. He'll try and stop a truck going far east and possibly make contact.

Paul walked into the office with his head held high. He returned the stern look of the two men who sat behind a table to review his recent activities. Paul took his seat opposite the two men.
"Paul, we've gone through your report on mission AS78. You stated there's been a slight setback in the mission. But from where I seat I can only see a mission out of control. Where is your man?" One of the men asked.
"He's MIA at the moment. But…"
"Is he dead?"
"I'm not sure. He hasn't reported since the mission," Paul replied. He hated having this talk.
"Your man failed his mission and disappeared. Is that what you're saying?" The other man said.
"He didn't fail, sir. He dropped two of them, the third…"
"Paul, I don't think I need to lecture you on the sensitivity of this particular mission. Those men, as you know, are high profile terrorists. Now, you drop two of them and let the third one escape. Or perhaps you haven't heard?"
Paul kept silent. He knew about the escape and he had already set things in motion to find Raji. But with Segun MIA, things were complicated.
"Paul, you have three days to bring in your man or I'll have to send Zik... You know where the escapee is running to, don't let him get there."
Paul digested the orders, stood to his feet and walked out.

1 Like

Re: Crossing Lines by evemeshma(f): 7:13pm On Nov 10, 2016
carry on abeg...nice story

1 Like

Re: Crossing Lines by akinkudin: 12:24am On Nov 11, 2016
Nice one YemiJr

1 Like

Re: Crossing Lines by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 11, 2016
CHAPTER 13

The drive to the holdup house wasn't a pleasant one. The brothers knew better than to send for her at this moment over trivial issues, it must be very important. She got to the house, turned off her engine and as she got out, she was greeted by a cloud of dust. She looked at he white coloured car, it looked more like brown now. She sighed, how much she hated dust. Tim was standing by the door, expecting her arrival.
"Welcome, Uncle," he said as he gave her a very quick hug.
They walked into the house and she settled into a sofa chair. She looked around and felt a surge nostalgia feel her up. She remembered all the good times they'd spent there. She, the brothers, Father and for a while, Paul.
"Still feels like home, right?" Tim said.
She just nodded. Tim wondered if old age had taken a toll on her. At 60, she was not even suppose to have driven out this far. But this was Uncle. He'd be surprised if she ever retired from that life.
"Where's Thom?"
"He went for some supplies," Tim replied.
"Why did you bring me out here?"
Tim sighed. He didn't want to do it alone, he wished Thom was there. Thom was her favorite and he was the one who suggested they bring her in.
"We have one of Paul's man," Tim finally said.
"Paul," Uncle spat his name as if it's been lurking in her mouth all day. "What happened?"
Tim filled her in on everything and watched as she processed it in her mind. He could almost hear the working of her brain.
"How long as he been here?" She asked.
"Two days."
"I want to see him."
They went to the room where Segun was held. He was sleeping on a bed, his hands and legs tied up. Uncle entered the room and stood above him, he woke up with a start and stared back at her. Uncle recognized him immediately. He was the boy with great prospects, Paul's prodigy. Paul had introduced him to her when he was still a teen. She didn't know what she felt about him now, but she was very sure Paul will do almost anything to get this one back.

It was the same dream again. Two people chased him across the bush and when they finally caught up, they killed themselves. He was having the dream over and over, even during a short nap. He woke up suddenly and saw the woman standing above him. She was small and fit and had great features that made her very attractive. But Segun could tell by her eyes that she was not very young. He sat up and exchanged a long look with her. She didn't say anything, neither did he. They just stared at one another and Segun knew there was something familiar about her.

2 Likes

Re: Crossing Lines by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 12, 2016
akinkudin:
Nice one YemiJr
Thanks boss...
Re: Crossing Lines by hottadiva(f): 6:43am On Nov 13, 2016
I thought uncle was a man. What's with d name set?
Good job OP

1 Like

Re: Crossing Lines by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 13, 2016
hottadiva:
I thought uncle was a man. What's with d name set?

Good job OP
Uncle is a nickname she got when she was still a very active spy... I'll try and write a prequel. There's an intriguing story long before Segun.
Re: Crossing Lines by Creeza(m): 6:47pm On Nov 13, 2016
Wow I'm stunned. Nice job Op. Following

1 Like

Re: Crossing Lines by marcusagrippa(m): 12:08pm On Nov 14, 2016
Good job, YemiJr. Following.

1 Like

Re: Crossing Lines by tripletees1(m): 1:53pm On Nov 14, 2016
Nice story line...
I don book my sit for here o

ride on boss..
gat ur back

#Sips holandia youghurt..

2 Likes

Re: Crossing Lines by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 15, 2016
Thank y'all... Chapter 14 next.
Re: Crossing Lines by Nobody: 7:54pm On Nov 15, 2016
CHAPTER FOURTEEN

The journey East was bumpy and long. They'd been on the road for more than a day now but the driver was not a bore. He made Raji enjoy the ride.
As they turned a bent, they saw a checkpoint ahead.
"What is that?" Raji asked.
"A police checkpoint, I guess," the driver replied. "That's strange, they never come out this far."
"Slow down. Slow down… slow," Raji said rapidly, as he ducked below the dashboard.
"What?" The driver asked as he hit the brake.
"No, don't stop, keep moving. They're looking for me, okay? When they ask if you've seen me before, say no, okay? You can do that?"
The driver looked at him, visibly taken aback and said, "but you can't stay here."
"I know," Raji said, trying to compose himself. "I know. I'll go back. Some clothes… good. You can do it, right? I'd come down but they'll see me and they can arrest you. So, we act cool, right?"
He jumped to the sleeper compartment, trying to stay below the windscreen. Then he covered himself in some sheets.
The driver got to the point, a few vehicles were ahead. The policemen didn't do any much searching. Just a few peep through the glass. Their turn finally came and a policeman stepped up to them. He pulled out a picture and showed it to the driver.
"Have you seen this man?" The policeman asked.
The driver swallowed as he saw that it was the same man hiding in the back. He stared at the picture some more, trying to keep his expression hidden from the intent look of the policeman.
"No," he finally replied.
"No, what?" The policeman asked.
"No, I've not seen… I've never seen him," the driver stammered.
"Pull up and park there," the policeman ordered, pointing to the road side.
The driver looked pleadingly at him and was about to say something.
"Now!" The policeman exclaimed.
The driver parked, where other uniformed men were waiting to conduct a search. He could feel the breathing of the wanted man. Immediately he parked, he jumped down from his seat and shouted, "he forced me… he forced me!"
Immediately, the policemen rounded the long vehicle.
"Where is he?!" They shouted at the driver.
"He's at the back, in the sleeper compartment."
Raji's heart raced. 'Not today, I'm not getting caught. Not today."

A couple vehicle were approaching the scene, while a policeman motioned them not to come closer. The uniformed men surrounded the truck and pointed their weapons at the sleeper.
"Come out from the vehicle, now!" One of the men ordered.
Nothing, just silence. He repeated the order again. Nothing happened.
The policemen exchanged glances. The man who gave the order motioned to one of his men to approach the truck and open it. The man obeyed and went closer, he pulled the door knob and opened the sleeper.
Raji sighed, 'not today.'

2 Likes

Re: Crossing Lines by tripletees1(m): 7:44am On Nov 16, 2016
Ride on brother....
i dey feel u jae..

buh dis update is small na..

hope say update today?

#sips_Holandia_youghurt
Re: Crossing Lines by Nobody: 10:39pm On Nov 16, 2016
tripletees1:
Ride on brother....
i dey feel u jae..

buh dis update is small na..

hope say update today?

#sips_Holandia_youghurt
Lol... You and this your yoghurt. Sha, don't let it finish. More chapters to follow.
Re: Crossing Lines by Nobody: 10:41pm On Nov 16, 2016
CHAPTER FIFTEEN

2 days ago,
George watched as the car sped off, he considered giving it a chase but he had a feeling they'd cross road again. He touched his chest to feel the bullet wounds he'd sustained, he was completely healed. He ran back to the construction site in the school, it was still a total mayhem. Two men lay lifeless on the ground while every other person at the scene were shocked. George scanned for the man he'd saved earlier, that was when he saw him escaping into the bush. George smiled, 'sharp guy.'
George followed him.

Now,
It was not easy following the truck for two days, he lost them so many times but finally caught up with them and hung under the truck till they got to the checkpoint. He listened quietly as the policeman stopped the truck and questioned the driver and told him to pull over. The uniformed men surrounded the truck and one of them opened the sleeper compartment. That was when George jumped into action.
He was very fast, and no one saw him. The man who'd open the door only felt a strong wind knock him off. He fell to the ground, his pistol was already in George's hand. George aimed and shot the man point blank. The other men, though very slowly, finally caught wind of the situation. They knew someone or something was there to kill them. George aimed at each of them and shot rapidly. None of them was fast enough to fire a shot, they all died at the spot. George heaved out a heavy breathe and turned to look at the driver who was trembling with fear. The few drivers that had parked some metres away to witness the operation of the policemen, quickly drove off at the turn of event.
George aimed at the driver and shot him in the right leg. The man fell to ground, crying in pain. George finally turned to the prisoner, who was still lying under the sheet of clothe. He waited till the prisoner got courage to lift his head. George smiled at him and said, "that's twice now. You owe me."
Raji's heart stopped beating for a while as he tried to process the whole situation. He saw the bodies that littered the ground behind the man who'd just saved him.
"Twice?" Raji asked.
"Yea, your two friends who died at the University. A third bullet was destined for you."
Raji's eyes widened. He couldn't believe it.
"How?" He asked.
"Guess I'm your guardian angel," George replied and turned to the driver who was wallowing in pain. He aimed and emptied the pistol on him.
Raji jumped. "What do you want?" He asked as George faced him again.
"I want a purpose," George grinned. "A reason to live for."

2 Likes

Re: Crossing Lines by tripletees1(m): 11:52pm On Nov 16, 2016
Nice update bro..... ride on bro...
buh here dey somehow dull... make una light am na...
#sips_Holandia_youghurt

1 Like

Re: Crossing Lines by Creeza(m): 1:47am On Nov 17, 2016
Nice one.

1 Like

Re: Crossing Lines by akinkudin: 8:36am On Nov 17, 2016
Nice one YemiJr..enjoying the action

1 Like

Re: Crossing Lines by Nobody: 3:12pm On Nov 17, 2016
akinkudin:
Nice one YemiJr..enjoying the action
tnx boss... I enjoy your stories as well. Lot of respect. And Creeza da boss.

2 Likes

Re: Crossing Lines by Creeza(m): 3:17pm On Nov 17, 2016
YemiJr:
tnx boss... I enjoy your stories as well. Lot of respect. And Cr eeza da boss.
I sight you oga mi.
Re: Crossing Lines by Nobody: 8:07pm On Nov 17, 2016
CHAPTER 16

"Yea?" Paul said, as he picked up his ringing phone.
"Hello Paul," a woman's voice came from the other end.
"Who's this?"
"Forgotten my voice so quick?"
"Uncle?" Paul asked, surprised.
"Yes Paul," Uncle said. "How have you been?"
"Good, I guess. Why are you calling, Chika?"
"Come on, already tired of me?"
"Yea," Paul replied quickly. He wanted to get off the call as quickly as possible.
Uncle laughed and said, "I have your man, Paul."
Silence. "Yes Paul, your prodigy is with me here."
"Why, Chi? What do you want?"
"The source code file. Bring it to the hold up house tomorrow."
"I can't do that," Paul said.
"You can and you will."
"Chi, you're threading dangerous places. Zik is coming out for him day after tomorrow, I need to bring him in today."
Uncle laughed, "well, you surely don't want Zik to get him. Come with the SCF as soon as you can. Don't play any games, I've not lost my appetite for killing."
With that, she ended the call. Paul looked around him, everything was tumbling over.

Mary woke up. Her head was still throbbing and she had difficulty concentrating. She remembered very little of the previous events. Segun, she remembered him shooting at someone on campus. Then she remembered being dragged into a vehicle and then nothing. Nothing, except the voices, she wondered if those were in her head or from outside the room. She winced at the pain in her head as she tried to get up.
A middle aged woman walked into the room and sat on a chair opposite her.
"How's the pain?" She asked, placing her fingers on her head.
"What am I doing here?" Mary asked in return.
"Sorry, but you came here with your friend. Willingly, I suppose."
"He's not my friend and I was brought here against my will. God, its been how many days?" Mary began to flare up.
"Well, I'm sorry about that," Uncle ignored her question. "We'll let you leave as soon as you're ready."
"I'm ready now!" Mary snapped.
"No, your head is in a pretty bad shape. You'll be okay by tomorrow."
"Where am I?"
"Somewhere safe."

4 Likes

Re: Crossing Lines by tripletees1(m): 4:52pm On Nov 21, 2016
Nice one bro... next episode pls..
#Holandia don dey dry up..
Re: Crossing Lines by Creeza(m): 3:03am On Dec 23, 2016
Yemijr what happened?

(1) (2) (Reply)

For Nanaboi And Mactao / © The Tea Digestive / Superbolt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.