Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? (25824 Views)

7 Look-alike Sisters In A Family Photo In Rwanda / What TV Channel Do You Watch Together As A Family? / Comparison In A Family. How Healthy Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Rapmoney(m): 10:12am On Oct 29, 2016
Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family?

"An apple doesn't fall far from the tree" - English proverb.

I spent some years of my life teaching pupils/students at different times from Basic 1 to SS 3. Over these years, I was also able to meet with most of the parents of my pupils/students. One particular thing I observed was that pupils/students whose academic performances were very poor and who lacked the capacity to understand the various subjects taught, plus inability in exhibiting creativity, either had parents who were not 'averagely' intelligent or if they had one parent who happened to be intelligent, they didn't take after that parent; they took after the other in mentality and character.

I also observed that some kids might be intelligent, smart and academically sound while some or all of their siblings would be unintelligent and indifferent to creativity. After meeting both parents of such families, I observed that the intelligent child often took after either the mum or dad who is intelligent in attitude, mentality and character; in fact, sometimes, I have noticed physical appearances and features as part of the resemblance in nature. Have you ever wondered why some people do not study as hard as you do to understand the contents and materials of a course, and even teach you? Such people do not need to read much to understand! It is in the gene. Don't forget the brain is the seat of intelligence biologically; if children can take resemblance of one parent in terms of eyes, nose, mouth, way of walking, way of talking, etc, what stops them from taking semblance of the brain too?

When an intelligent person didn't inherit his/her intelligence from either parents, check deeper, there could be someone in either the mother's side or father's side he/she must have gotten it from. It is this inheritance that gives children the interest to learn, understand, cultivate the interest to pursue knowledge and exhibit creativity. It spurs the attitude of curiosity to learn in a child. Such inheritance of intelligence does not necessarily make a child to be intelligent but it gives the child that innate (natural) consciousness and desire to learn and create things in whatever field he/she finds himself/herself in future; whether in science, arts, entertainment, technology, education, finance or agriculture.

There is a high possibility that two naturally intelligent people will give birth to intelligent children if they marry. There is also a high possibility that the reverse will be the case if the two people involve are not 'averagely' intelligent. An apple never falls far from the tree.

This is the reason why I always opine that love is not enough in a marital affair; especially, when you as a young person, possesses some basic standards as regards an ideal and balanced family.

133 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by tukdi: 10:22am On Oct 29, 2016
Op, tankew 4 this wonderful write up cool

This is front page worthy! cool

Based on the small power vested in me by seun,

I therefore, command lalasticlala to take this thread to the promised land! grin

92 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by tukdi: 10:22am On Oct 29, 2016
click LIKE if you agree with Op's submission or SHARE if you don't cool

183 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Rapmoney(m): 10:25am On Oct 29, 2016
tukdi:
click LIKE if you agree with Op's submission or SHARE if you don't cool
Gush! Funny you! grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by donbenedict(m): 10:45am On Oct 29, 2016
No I don't think so, if you don't read, you won't pass. Knowledge isn't inherited but acquired

58 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by sinaj(f): 10:51am On Oct 29, 2016
Yes intelligence is hereditary.

To those with low IQ, try nd get married to people with Average or high IQ to boost ur kid's ministry grin

Many other factors such as the environment, SES, etc. also contribute to intelligence too nd not just hereditary.

109 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by pweeryambre: 10:51am On Oct 29, 2016
donbenedict:
No I don't think so, if you don't read, you won't pass. Knowledge isn't inherited but acquired
He is talking about Natural Intelligence not Knowledge... you have just changed what the OP is talking about now.
And yes I believe intelligence is inherited to some extent though.

148 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by sinaj(f): 10:53am On Oct 29, 2016
donbenedict:
knowledge is quite different from intelligence

Yes knowledge is acquired while intelligence is inherited.

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Collenshy2020(m): 10:56am On Oct 29, 2016
Rapmoney, does it mean if kemi who was once upon a time an olosho, that when she get married one of her daughter bumi might have the intelligence of an olosho?
However, if tunde who was once an agbero and later on retired, that one of he's son femi might have the duggedness of an agbero.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by donbenedict(m): 10:57am On Oct 29, 2016
sinaj:
knowledge is quite different from intelligence

Yes knowledge is acquired while intelligence is inherited.
intelligence is not inherited my friend! angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by sinaj(f): 10:59am On Oct 29, 2016
donbenedict:
u can carry out a little research on that wink

22 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Rapmoney(m): 11:07am On Oct 29, 2016
sinaj:
Yes intelligence is hereditary.

To those with low IQ, try nd get married to people with Average or high IQ to boost ur kid's ministry grin

Many other factors such as the environment, SES, etc. also contribute to intelligence too nd not just hereditary.

I mean innate intelligence. It doesn't necessarily mean intelligence academically.

16 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by sinaj(f): 11:12am On Oct 29, 2016
Rapmoney:
I mean innate intelligence. It doesn't necessarily mean intelligence academically.
yea not just academically

11 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Rapmoney(m): 11:16am On Oct 29, 2016
Collenshy2020:
Rapmoney, does it mean if kemi who was once upon a time an olosho, that when she get married one of her daughter bumi might have the intelligence of an olosho?
However, if tunde who was once an agbero and later on retired, that one of he's son femi might have the duggedness of an agbero.
Prostitution is an act. It is not a natural character or trait!

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Rapmoney(m): 11:18am On Oct 29, 2016
pweeryambre:

He is talking about Natural Intelligence not Knowledge... you have just changed what the OP is talking about now.
And yes I believe intelligence is inherited to some extent though.
Thanks for the observation.

4 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by DanielGb(m): 11:23am On Oct 29, 2016
I believe too that love should not be the only reason. Intelligence is one. He/She star or glory matters too. Some people are empty o. As for me, i make sure I take emotions aside before making decision.

@OP: What you said is true. Intelligence is hereditary. There are people who didn't have enough of schooling yet they are extra smart.

This is why I use to respect some theives. It takes a smart guy to profit from stealing and 419. Including Politicians.

Most Nigerians are intelligent. (75%). If not we won't be killing them out there. Nigerians are one of the intelligently best mammals in the world.

Meanwhile, anybody can acquire knowledge. But, Too much knowledge self dey give headache and brings worry. I prefer to use my brain and imagination.

Above all, it takes God to make the correct matching.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Collenshy2020(m): 11:45am On Oct 29, 2016
Rapmoney:
Prostitution is an act. It is not a natural character or trait!
stori for buhari.

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by tukdi: 11:47am On Oct 29, 2016
Rapmoney:
Gush! Funny you! grin
grin
Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Rapmoney(m): 12:16pm On Oct 29, 2016
DanielGb:
I believe too that love should not be the only reason. Intelligence is one. He/She star or glory matters too. Some people are empty o. As for me, i make sure I take emotions aside before making decision.

@OP: What you said is true. Intelligence is hereditary. There are people who didn't have enough of schooling yet they are extra smart.

This is why I use to respect some theives. It takes a smart guy to profit from stealing and 419. Including Politicians.

Most Nigerians are intelligent. (75%). If not we won't be killing them out there. Nigerians are one of the intelligently best mammals in the world.

Meanwhile, anybody can acquire knowledge. But, Too much knowledge self dey give headache and brings worry. I prefer to use my brain and imagination.

Above all, it takes God to make the correct matching.
I love your first paragraph! cool

5 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by TomHagen: 6:04pm On Oct 29, 2016
donbenedict:
It's not necessarily inherited but it's has a genetic predisposition.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Oct 30, 2016
I am of the opinion that two things make the whole man
1. Genetic predisposition
2. Environmental factor

As for me, the genetic predisposition plays a very major role

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 30, 2016
Its hereditary, I got mine from my dad cheesy

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by baby124: 1:56pm On Oct 30, 2016
Intelligence is inherited. I mean high IQ, so is character traits. So be careful what kind of character you marry. If the person is a thief and greedy. It will take a strong will for the child not to follow the same useless route. Though environment and parent nurturing also plays its own role, where character is concerned.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by MMotimo: 4:20pm On Oct 30, 2016
I once read somewhere that the Dad's genes determines a child's intelligence so if you're super smart, be grateful to your Dad

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Rapmoney(m): 9:30pm On Oct 30, 2016
baby124:
Intelligence is inherited. I mean high IQ, so is character traits. So be careful what kind of character you marry. If the person is a thief and greedy. It will take a strong will for the child not to follow the same useless route. Though environment and parent nurturing also plays its own role, where character is concerned.
That's the nature-nurture controversy in Psychology! cheesy Though, I believe traits like criminal tendencies and the likes are leaning more towards nurture i.e the environment.

7 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 30, 2016
MMotimo:
I once read somewhere that the Dad's genes determines a child's intelligence so if you're super smart, be grateful to your Dad

Nope.... It's 80% from the mother 20% from the father.

Except if the father has very strong/dominant genes.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Rapmoney(m): 9:39pm On Oct 30, 2016
Lomantics:
I am of the opinion that two things make the whole man
1. Genetic predisposition
2. Environmental factor

As for me, the genetic predisposition plays a very major role
Yeah, thanks a lot. I know environmental factor plays a role but nature, which is translated to heridity creates an innate capacity to study, understand easily and be creative. it is the same reason why some people do not need to study much to understand. Such is not determined by environment; it is caused by nature.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 4:09am On Oct 31, 2016
There are more genes of intelligence on the X chromosome than on the Y and this is significant for male children. Intelligence just like any other trait is inherited from the parents. The trait here could actually be the ability to acquire intelligence because environmental factors contribute immensely to intelligence, depends on how you may want to define intelligence.

For instance, if an unintelligent male (XY) crosses a genius female (XX), with each 'donating' one chromosome to their offspring and they have a boy (XY) and a girl (XX). For the boy child (XY), it is certain that the X chromosome is from the mother so he will have more genes of intelligence from the mother. Note, that there are also genes of intelligence on the Y chromosome only significantly lesser than that of the X.

For the girl child (XX), both X chromosomes come from each parent, so she will have theoretically 50:50 share of genes of intelligence from each parent. If she turns out intelligent, it is the mother's X working, if she turns out unintelligent it's the father's full X working, if she's average a hybrid...but the boy would be smarter than his sister in theory.

To test this, look at a family in which the girl child is way smarter than the boy child -with the assumption that they had identical exposure, experiences and desire to learn- You will find that the father is likely to be the more intelligent parent, although even hypothetically, you cannot be close to 70% certainty. But if the boy is way more intelligent than his sister, it is certain that the boy is intelligent because of his mother. The latter is more likely to be observed in real life.

To cut the long story short, If you are an intelligent man don't marry an unintelligent woman for the sake of your unborn male children because they will reason like their mother grin . The girls will be fine. Also, for a woman that is intelligent, you can sleep rest assured that your children will get equal share of your genes of intelligence even if you decide to marry an ode grin . If all the children turn out to be unintelligent, don't worry, it's the father's doing grin . Unintelligent women in contrast, have it real bad compared with unintelligent men for the sake of their children's intelligence.

**Disclaimer: There is a lot of scientific truth here and also a number of assumptions, but it's not this straightforward. The scenarios and suggestions are unverified and solely based on my analysis. Follow or teach at your own risk.

42 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Rapmoney(m): 6:56am On Oct 31, 2016
RoyalRoy, Seun, Lalasticlala...consider this thread. Others might have meaningful contributions to make. We are all learning.
Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 11:11am On Oct 31, 2016
TheSixthSense:
There are more genes of intelligence on the X chromosome than on the Y and this is significant for male children. Intelligence just like any other trait is inherited from the parents. The trait here could actually be the ability to acquire intelligence because environmental factors contribute immensely to intelligence, depends on how you may want to define intelligence.

For instance, if an unintelligent male (XY) crosses a genius female (XX), with each 'donating' one chromosome to their offspring and they have a boy (XY) and a girl (XX). For the boy child (XY), it is certain that the X chromosome is from the mother so he will have more genes of intelligence from the mother. Note, that there are also genes of intelligence on the Y chromosome only significantly lesser than that of the X.

For the girl child (XX), both X chromosomes come from each parent, so she will have theoretically 50:50 share of genes of intelligence from each parent. If she turns out intelligent, it is the mother's X working, if she turns out unintelligent it's the father's full X working, if she's average a hybrid...but the boy would be smarter than his sister in theory.

To test this, look at a family in which the girl child is way smarter than the boy child -with the assumption that they had identical exposure, experiences and desire to learn- You will find that the father is likely to be the more intelligent parent, although even hypothetically, you cannot be close to 70% certainty. But if the boy is way more intelligent than his sister, it is certain that the boy is intelligent because of his mother. The latter is more likely to be observed in real life.

To cut the long story short, If you are an intelligent man don't marry an unintelligent woman for the sake of your unborn male children because they will reason like their mother grin . The girls will be fine. Also, for a woman that is intelligent, you can sleep rest assured that your children will get equal share of your genes of intelligence even if you decide to marry an ode grin . If all the children turn out to be unintelligent, don't worry, it's the father's doing grin . Unintelligent women in contrast, have it real bad compared with unintelligent men for the sake of their children's intelligence.

**Disclaimer: There is a lot of scientific truth here and also a number of assumptions, but it's not this straightforward. The scenarios and suggestions are unverified and solely based on my analysis. Follow or teach at your own risk.
True talk. You nailed it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by DozieInc(m): 1:00pm On Oct 31, 2016
Nature and Nurture:

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 31, 2016
Intelligent female spotted grin shocked grin
Pandorabox:
True talk. You nailed it.

1 Like 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Three Men Fight Over Baby In Ibadan / I Caught My Wife Cheating: What Do I Do? / My Father Preferred My Younger Brother.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.