Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,741 members, 7,806,029 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:27 AM

How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? (19756 Views)

My Sister-In-Law Staying With Us Atimes Knows When We Are Making Love.Pls Advise / Wife Sent Packing For Questioning Husband Over Her Mother-in-law's Visit / Man Impregnates His Mother-In-Law In Nasarawa (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by NickUwaifo: 6:12pm On Oct 30, 2016
Please I really need professional advice on this matter. My sisters husband borrowed N1m from my dad for a so called business that has failed. First of all we didn't know he had already made my sister borrow 500k from her office union stuff because he told her not to tell us and he will pay.

I think when matters got bad for him in the business he decided to meet my dad and borrowed another N1m from him begging him not to tell his wife (my sister about it).

It is over a year now and he has refused to return the money to my dad who is an old man on pension and when he had no choice but to tell my sister, she became really upset because she is also in dept because of him. He kept saying that he has a trailer he imported and was looking for a buyer so that he can pay back the money but my sister has now confirmed that he doesn't have anything like that.

Please help with your advice on how my dad can recover his money back.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by talk2alabama: 6:18pm On Oct 30, 2016
It all depends on your sister, if she is so soft about the money, he will be too relaxed to hustle it out

7 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by makelove2m(m): 6:28pm On Oct 30, 2016
The issue here is tricky, if not handled carefully, marriage will be in danger................. so call the man in question, have one on one chat to ascertain the true position, if it holds truth that he may have bought something that he is yet to dispose, then, help him sale that, if not seek further to know if there are other things in his disposal that can be sold to get that money back, ............trade with caution to ensure you don't put your sister marriage in a bind....................... dialogue is better.............. Make it sign document that he borrow money from your father first......if you lack trust with him

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Acme77: 6:30pm On Oct 30, 2016
I think little or nothing can be done because the family bond might go sour as a result of this.
Your sister can intervene with wisdom.
The people who hurt us the most are friends and family members because sometimes they have an entitlement mindset towards what we have.
Subsequently, only borrow what you can part with.
Thanks

51 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by delishpot: 6:41pm On Oct 30, 2016
Na so dem go dey borrow from wives and wives family from backyard then, dey form naija babes are liability for outside.

Sorry OP, there is nothing more your dad can do except to involve the police. Which would affect your sisters marriage or her relationship with you guys. But as he has no money, even the police would not be able to help you guys.

74 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 30, 2016
Nothing can be done.
Any aggressive measure would put the marriage on strain..

The hubby sef..He's a serial debtor,and a shameless being, if he has no plan to pay back..

15 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 30, 2016
[quot[b]e author=delishpot post=50633655]Na so dem go dey borrow from wives and wives family from backyard then dey form naija babes are liability for outside.
[/b]
Sorry OP, there is nothing more your dad can do except to involve the police. Which would affect your sistersarriage or her relationship with you guys. But as he has no money, even the police would not be able to help you guys. [/quote]

No mind them, they will bad mouth their wives and girlfriends finish and still put us in debts.. Claiming best husbands materials ever.. angry
God is watching you guys badmouthing good women in HD.. Make una continue

Op your dad's money has entered voicemail.. Nothing can be done.. Orelse marriage is over.. Everyone should just forget the money and move on.. There will be no next time again, if he likes he can cry u guys a river.... Shi shi no go drop hin hand.

27 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by eyinjuege: 8:25pm On Oct 30, 2016
Money haff ental one chance

3 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Winneygirl(f): 8:48pm On Oct 30, 2016
I suspect that the husband is not working. As in, he doesn't have a steady stream of income. Does he?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Emmyk(m): 9:29pm On Oct 30, 2016
Yomieluv:
Nothing can be done.
Any aggressive measure would put the marriage on strain..

The hubby sef..He's a serial debtor.
Lol.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by EfemenaXY: 11:21pm On Oct 30, 2016
Oh, wow!

Words fail me. @ op, I think getting the money back depends on the man's personality.

If he's a decent person with a conscience and a self respecting man who's genuinely hit hard times, he will pay off his debts albeit slowly.

Your retired dad must have (in his wisdom) seen something in your brother in law in the first place to loan him so much despite the recession.

What I don't like though is the secrecy. That sounds off alarm bells that he may be dodgy.

Cc: Ifyalways, Onegai, Sambarry.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Oct 30, 2016
You're in best position to take action. Your sister's hands are tied Bcus she will be seen as rude by her hubby and his family if she acts. So call for a meeting with a reasonable member(s) of ur in laws family. Report d case to them and tell ur sister to keep shut about d matter. Even if her hubby accuses her of telling his family, let her not utter a word. Her silence would mean disapproval of his actions.

There's almost no way you won't have enemity in this case Bcus in laws hardly understand the truth. But d reasonable ones shd make him be ashamed of borrowing from a pensioner. After his family is aware, ur sister shd prepare for some frictions from him in d home (aggression transfer). During ur negotiation u'll give them a time range and threaten to involve d police, theyll beg for some more time and u shd give them so that by the time u take action it won't look as if u didn't even consider them as a family.

Or better still. Involve a man in ur family like a snr brother if u have Bcus they may disregard u a woman facing them on a matter like this. Before u take action, hear from ur dad and ensure he's aware of what u are about to do. Else he may say who asked you to fight for me... Did I complain to you? You know elderly fathers the way they are

So God help you. Good luck!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by cococandy(f): 11:27pm On Oct 30, 2016
It's probably gone

4 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by dominique(f): 11:30pm On Oct 30, 2016
This BIL of yours seems like a chronic debtor. Honestly, I don't see how your dad can recover his money without things getting ugly

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by NickUwaifo: 11:33pm On Oct 30, 2016
Hmmmmm, that money needs to fall out ooo
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by OlajumokeBread(f): 11:37pm On Oct 30, 2016

In your dreams

Where do you expect him to get that money from ?? Rob a bank and get a whopping a 1 million naira ??

Wake up from your dreams, you're not getting that money back
This is not money borrowed to a bachelor, this is money borrowed to a family man who have a huge responsibilities on his shoulders

When my relatives comes to me with that "Can you borrow me 100k" i just give it to them without expecting them to pay me back

There's a difference between being owned by an outsider than being owned by your relatives, you can't punch your relatives in the throat for owing you but you can strangle an outsider for owing you

Say bye bye to your money

16 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by EfemenaXY: 11:38pm On Oct 30, 2016
NickUwaifo:
Hmmmmm, that money needs to fall out ooo

And if it doesn't?
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Sharon6(f): 11:38pm On Oct 30, 2016
Op, your BIL is a chronic debtor and people like him gambles, he must have use the money to gamble. Ask his wife [your sister] and she'll confirm this. Since you've already discovered he doesn't have anything to sell to make money according to his claims please tell your dad to forget the money and move on. If you like involve police, army, carry am go court, money wey no dey pile no fit collect am. The money don enter VOICEMAIL!

PLEASE CHECK MY SIGNATURE!!!

6 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by beautiful232(f): 11:40pm On Oct 30, 2016
1m.....at this time?from your in_law?

let me pray bout it Will give my professional advice letter

1 Like

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 30, 2016
Take that as a bad debt just as siblings don't like paying back debts among themselves.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by thonyrule(m): 11:40pm On Oct 30, 2016
that is serious...
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by magicminister: 11:42pm On Oct 30, 2016
The moment you start messing with my money and my trust, that is when you stop being my friend, in-law or whatever.
Its obvious that he lied to your sister and your dad.
He did not use that money for any business. You guys were scammed!
Point Blank!
Call a meeting with his family and if he fails to provide the money, please involve the police!
Your sister might end up losing her job, your dad has already lost a good junk of his pension!!
There is no two ways about it; this guy will be a disgrace and a liability to your family.

This is what happens when one becomes too desperate to settle down and end up settling with idiots!

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by LilWarshy(m): 11:42pm On Oct 30, 2016
Chai
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by sisisioge: 11:42pm On Oct 30, 2016
grin grin grin

Well, see this as the eye opener for future occurrences... This particular debt is a bad debt. Don't expect to get it back.

Whew! What an in-law!

3 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by 4everGrand(m): 11:43pm On Oct 30, 2016
Become an out-law.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by naijamakossa(m): 11:43pm On Oct 30, 2016
forget the money
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by eezeribe(m): 11:44pm On Oct 30, 2016
Hire thugs to beat him to pulp and give him deadline
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Peterpanny: 11:44pm On Oct 30, 2016
Chaii bet9ja and baba ijebu don finish your inlaw.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by DeKen: 11:47pm On Oct 30, 2016
Sorry.

Getting that money back may be such a serious issue especially if the supposed business he invested in has actually failed. It may lead to a crashed marriage and a strained relationship.
----------------------------------------------------
That is why I get worried when I'm warned not to tell someone about a this kind of financial decision. The case is usually such that the borrower already knows that the other party will stop you from making a decision you will regret.

My brothers mother in-law had once asked me to lend her some money which I would have, but she added a clause that I shouldn't tell her daughter and my brother. Then I became bothered. After carefully considering the situation, I made the bold move to tell my brother and also asked him not to tell her. My brother gave me a stern warning and assured me tat I won't get the money back. I quickly advised myself and saved myself from some future headache.

17 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Eazylion: 11:47pm On Oct 30, 2016
set him up and use him for money ritual. very simple

3 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Eazylion: 11:50pm On Oct 30, 2016
EfemenaXY:

And if it doesn't?
kill him grin
EfemenaXY:

And if it doesn't?
kill him

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should She Travel To Italy? / Getting Married And Living In Your Parents House. What Is Wrong About It / Royal Baby Watch: Kate Middleton In Labour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.