Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,565 members, 7,801,601 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:00 PM

Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate (3661 Views)

Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? / Chemical Engineering Graduate Sells Smoked Catfish - Pictures / Any Hope For An HND Holder In A Lecturing Career In A Polythecnic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by cutiedave(m): 2:01pm On Oct 31, 2016
I just finished my ond in mechanical engineering from yaba college of technology, where i finished with distinction

Am at a crossroad of either going for my hnd or applying for the jamb direct entry next year
Am more inclined to go for my hnd due to the age factor (i just clocked 20)

I would really like to hear from the engineers out there if mechanical engineering graduates with hnd certificates are actually discriminated out there in the labour market as propagated by the media...

Expecting replies and advice from the engineers out there

Cc lalasticlala
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by cutiedave(m): 6:08pm On Oct 31, 2016
Guys pls comment and help a brother
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by ademasta(m): 12:20am On Nov 01, 2016
Direct Entry straight!

2Cent from Engr Ademasta

1 Like

Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by cutiedave(m): 3:35pm On Nov 01, 2016
ademasta:
Direct Entry straight!

2Cent from Engr Ademasta
Thanks for the reply sir...pls whats d major reason behind dis advice

1 Like

Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by ade2008(m): 3:40pm On Nov 01, 2016
HND distinction is still not equivalent to degree. After HND you will still be admitted to 200level. Even with HND + PGD youre still not equal to a Bsc. If you find yourself in academic settings you're finished. Even if you're 30+ my best advice is get the next DE jamb form.
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by burrytee(m): 4:57pm On Nov 01, 2016
Bobo age stl dey yr side. Cross to university my guy. U r good wt yr grade. Dat my 2cent.over time complacency and peer pressure dnt mk pple take action. I had d same stand same school but ws at the final year dat it occurred i shud v accepted d DE offer then. Good fr u. Unilag accpt ur grade. Other schl cn accpt.
For othrs Hnd is not so bad .it just tk self development n focus and skill to stand.
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by cutiedave(m): 5:18pm On Nov 01, 2016
burrytee:
Bobo age stl dey yr side. Cross to university my guy. U r good wt yr grade. Dat my 2cent.over time complacency and peer pressure dnt mk pple take action. I had d same stand same school but ws at the final year dat it occurred i shud v accepted d DE offer then. Good fr u. Unilag accpt ur grade. Other schl cn accpt.
For othrs Hnd is not so bad .it just tk self development n focus and skill to stand.
Tanks a lot for this reply....am definitely going to apply to unilag next year...

Are you done with your hnd?..if yes, how is the labour market treating you...
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by burrytee(m): 6:46pm On Nov 01, 2016
cutiedave:

Tanks a lot for this reply....am definitely going to apply to unilag next year...

Are you done with your hnd?..if yes, how is the labour market treating you...
So good bro. I fnshed frm tech 2011.
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by cutiedave(m): 7:58pm On Nov 01, 2016
burrytee:

So good bro. I fnshed frm tech 2011.
Wow...did u later go for d bsc....
And do u av any regrets about failing to go for your bsc back them...
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by cutiedave(m): 9:13am On Nov 04, 2016
Guys i need more views on this issue
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by cutiedave(m): 8:18am On Nov 05, 2016
Nairalanders, abeg reply me
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by kennyjam: 10:37am On Nov 05, 2016
You are in the same shoe with me but i have applied through UTME, Mech. Engr.
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by cutiedave(m): 2:47pm On Nov 05, 2016
kennyjam:
You are in the same shoe with me but i have applied through UTME, Mech. Engr.
u applied dis yr ryt...and do u av anyplans of going for hnd
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by kennyjam: 3:07pm On Nov 05, 2016
cutiedave:
u applied dis yr ryt...and do u av anyplans of going for hnd

Yeah, this year! I finished last year. The HND form has already come and gone and the list is even out. am waiting for the list of the federal university i applied.
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by ademasta(m): 7:03am On Nov 10, 2016
cutiedave:

Thanks for the reply sir...pls whats d major reason behind dis advice
I would have replied you since but i have been so busy lately. Pardon me please.

Now...

The reason is dichotomy/discimination. But all depends on where you choose to belong.

In the engineering field, an hnd holder can never be called an engineer, rather a technologist. Unless he or she enrols for post graduate diploma, pgd in a COREN accredited UNIVERSITY after hnd.

In Engineering, there is cadre.
Engineers at the top, followed by technologist, then technicians and finally the artisans/craftsmen.

Engineer=B.Eng, B.Tech or Bsc
Technologist =HND
Technicians =OND
Artisans/Craftsmen=SSCE/NABTEB/TRADE TEST etc.

BUT MIND YOU THEY ARE ONE SINGLE FAMILY AS THEY ARE WORKING HANDS IN HANDS.

If your dream is to become an Engineer then nothing less than a bachelor's degree is required.

Makes your choice, no one is looked down on!

Thank you.
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by Nobody: 9:45am On Nov 10, 2016
You are just 20 years old. Don't ever make the mistake of furthering to HND. The level of discrimination is alarming. You will regret it forever and you will have to battle with the feeling of inferiority complex all your life. apply for DE to a university.
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by cutiedave(m): 10:52am On Nov 10, 2016
ademasta:

I would have replied you since but i have been so busy lately. Pardon me please.

Now...

The reason is dichotomy/discimination. But all depends on where you choose to belong.

In the engineering field, an hnd holder can never be called an engineer, rather a technologist. Unless he or she enrols for post graduate diploma, pgd in a COREN accredited UNIVERSITY after hnd.

In Engineering, there is cadre.
Engineers at the top, followed by technologist, then technicians and finally the artisans/craftsmen.

Engineer=B.Eng, B.Tech or Bsc
Technologist =HND
Technicians =OND
Artisans/Craftsmen=SSCE/NABTEB/TRADE TEST etc.

BUT MIND YOU THEY ARE ONE SINGLE FAMILY AS THEY ARE WORKING HANDS IN HANDS.

If your dream is to become an Engineer then nothing less than a bachelor's degree is required.

Makes your choice, no one is looked down on!

Thank you.
Tanx a lot bro...i appreciate this...
Would get d direct entry form next year

1 Like

Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by cutiedave(m): 10:54am On Nov 10, 2016
ProfTea12:
You are just 20 years old. Don't ever make the mistake of furthering to HND. The level of discrimination is alarming. You will regret it forever and you will have to battle with the feeling of inferiority complex all your life. apply for DE to a university.
I appreciate this sir...
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by ademasta(m): 11:53am On Nov 10, 2016
cutiedave:

Tanx a lot bro...i appreciate this...
Would get d direct entry form next year
You are welcome my brother.
Best of luck
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by Abdul4trust1(m): 7:12pm On Nov 10, 2016
cutiedave:
I just finished my ond in mechanical engineering from yaba college of technology, where i finished with distinction

Am at a crossroad of either going for my hnd or applying for the jamb direct entry next year
Am more inclined to go for my hnd due to the age factor (i just clocked 20)

I would really like to hear from the engineers out there if mechanical engineering graduates with hnd certificates are actually discriminated out there in the labour market as propagated by the media...

Expecting replies and advice from the engineers out there

Cc lalasticlala
i'm Hnd Holder In Accounting. I Graduated With Upper Credit But There Is Discrimination In The Labour Market. Please Go For DE, HOWever Everyone Has HIs/her Own Luck. I Know Someone Who Study Same Course With You With Hnd He Is Working With Halibulton. Steady Promotion And Steady Oversea Trips.
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by cutiedave(m): 7:24pm On Nov 10, 2016
Abdul4trust1:
i'm Hnd Holder In Accounting. I Graduated With Upper Credit But There Is Discrimination In The Labour Market. Please Go For DE, HOWever Everyone Has HIs/her Own Luck. I Know Someone Who Study Same Course With You With Hnd He Is Working With Halibulton. Steady Promotion And Steady Oversea Trips.
Tanx sir...
Would take d direct entry form next year...
Dat your friend is really lucky o
Re: Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate by suso(m): 10:25am On Mar 28, 2017
cutiedave:
Nairalanders, abeg reply me
direct entry my brother.. Also in the same shoe

(1) (Reply)

Are University Lecturers Well Paid Than Medical Doctors / Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp / Highest Paying Insurance Companies!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.