Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 - Music/Radio (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 (80882 Views)

Top Five Nigerian Songs that Revolutionised Song Covers In Nigeria - Iamsynord / Top 10 Hottest Nigerian Songs Released In January 2019 / 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by baslone: 11:21am On Nov 02, 2016
Myrolemodel:
I did not see one song by a Yoruba lady whose name I have forgotten, but the song is titled "bata mi". There were also some songs by Oliver de Coque as well as the Egedege the Queen of Culture.

Bata mi dun kokoka! -Princess Bunmi Olajubmu wink

2 Likes

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 02, 2016
dominique:
Nothing from Mike Okri? I was hoping to see at least 'Omoge' in the list. TBH I don't know up to half of those songs listed up there, nice list all the same

I have never seen/found the right time to use this Pidgin.....until now (dancing)
I loooove Mike Okri especially "Omoge" dieeee kiss
Thank you!!!

I share your sentiments about not knowing most of the songs...
I am not too young to know them, however I cannot carry a tune to save my life...I love music as I hear it, after which it disappears...then when I try to sing it, I just crack up people around me. SMH
However, without knowing the lyrics, some stay and light up my life..,I love Yoruba Fuji music, my dad used to play a lot of them in his car...all the time...and I was his handbag...I used to go hunting with him...and he played mad music after a good hunt. I would run out and carry the guinea fowls. Jeez. Nostalgia

I love Ozoemena Nwa Nsugbe....did he sing "onye a gbana oso na olue nu na omume"?
That song is one of my best songs in the world....the story fascinated and tormented me at once, while I would be ensconed safely in my father's car as usual cheesy. That song has to be my best Nigerian song...sad, soulful, melodious, lyrical, all at once....and the insane-ly glorious drumming!

Then I love Lagbaja...to pieces..and Fela's Palaver...and Bright Chimezie's song that has, "Ogechukwu nwannem, nekwa......office m di na Legosi oo, madam ebezina" cool
I am soo sorry but Osita Osadebe's songs makes me wanna climb walls, or throw things (hides)
I have never been able to appreciate them...but I am sure the fault lies with me

Sorry for the parrot-ness!
Cheers

Beautiful topic @ naptu2 cool

3 Likes

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by dominique(f): 11:35am On Nov 02, 2016
naptu2:

Mike Okri's Time Na Money is on the list. Scroll through the list, I'm sure you'll see a lot of songs that you know. I arranged it in chronological order (though not strictly so) from the 1950s/60s down to the 2010s.

Yes I have seen it. Most of the earlier tracks are so strange to me, I didn't even know that Ben Bruce's brother did music.
Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by Nobody: 11:42am On Nov 02, 2016
benzmatic:
If you want to marry a husband, never you marry a waka about!.......Nelly Uchendu was and still is the greatest vocalist to come from these shores. The voice was supernatural, she did not have a single song that was average. Nice one Naptu. This can serve as a thesis cheesy

Her voice is soo beautiful it almost haunts one. I dunno what sonorous means exactly...but it sure has Nelly's voice as an example...Simi, that new Yoruba girl on the block, has a soulful voice too

(as a total digress)
When Biafra comes, I am so gonna wrap up puleenty Yoruba singers and songs to take with me cheesy tongue
That tribe has music in its DNA...true story
I am thankful for the maaaany many times I listen to, and love Yoruba sings without understanding a word
9ice, Lagbaja, Fela, Juju, Simi, Tiwa, that Mandy girl from way back, Whizkid, BankyW, Davido's "aye", DBanj....and etc, and more
Chai

1 Like

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by Nobody: 11:55am On Nov 02, 2016
eaglechild:

Good recall

I don't know her name or whereabouts.

Hi...this is for @ jnrbayano too
I think it's ?Yvonne Maha
If I am right, it is cos I had a girl crush on her! cheesy
I wanted to be her...with her afro and squeaky way of saying "gini ka I na eme oge ncha!?"
Lol

I also wanted to be that girl with Michael Jackson in "Thriller"...and that girl in that great "Belinda" song by an unknown singer
Sorry for derailing @ naptu2

(Modified) Oh...there is Chichi of Africa too
Well...I could have sworn it was by Yvonne, cos her songs were in a series, and the videos would play one after the other on NTA...but I bow to your knowledge...cheers

1 Like

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by Ignatio(m): 12:12pm On Nov 02, 2016
Charley Boy: wakiloli loli lolo wakiloli loli lolo, o bu isi mgbaka o bu isi mmebi wakiloli loli lolo o bu onye ara
Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by Nobody: 12:14pm On Nov 02, 2016
What the Bleep is damiduro doing on this list abeg??
Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by Phunkyposh(f): 12:26pm On Nov 02, 2016
Where is ODun Nlo sopin Bu CaC Good women choir
That song Is a Classic
Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by Phunkyposh(f): 12:26pm On Nov 02, 2016
Where is ODun Nlo sopin By CaC Good women choir
That song Is a Classic

1 Like

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by jnrbayano(m): 12:53pm On Nov 02, 2016
merahki:

I wanted to be her...with her afro and squeaky way of saying "gini ka I na eme oge ncha!?"
Lol

I also wanted to be that girl with Michael Jackson in "Thriller"...and that girl in that great "Belinda" song by an unknown singer

Well...I could have sworn it was by Yvonne, cos her songs were in a series, and the videos would play one after the other on NTA...but I bow to your knowledge...cheers

Thanks bro.

That "Belinda" singer is Grady Farrel.

1 Like

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 02, 2016
jnrbayano:

Thanks bro.

That "Belinda" singer is Grady Farrel.

Thank you @ Grady
But how far with calling me bro nah?
angry
I dunno why this happens on NL a lot...people calling me bro
Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by mceze(m): 1:11pm On Nov 02, 2016
Ogbeche77:
Naptu2. Nairaland resident anorack & encyclopedia has spoken..
No dispute..End of discussion cheesy

This weekend, I ll take time to download all the songs listed & update my playlist.. Time to go old skool

When you do, pls share with me on whatsapp-08036423660
Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by kunleee(m): 1:47pm On Nov 02, 2016
Alh wasiu sodiq- womise (consider me) and baba iyawo, both deserve a mention
Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by jnrbayano(m): 2:37pm On Nov 02, 2016
merahki:

Thank you @ Grady
But how far with calling me bro nah?
angry
I dunno why this happens on NL a lot...people calling me bro

cheesy

1 Like

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by naptu2: 2:38pm On Nov 02, 2016
dominique:

Yes I have seen it. Most of the earlier tracks are so strange to me, I didn't even know that Ben Bruce's brother did music.

I bet that you know some of those songs, but you just don't know their names.

Number 2: You've heard Flavour's Nwa Baby, right? It's a cover of Sawalele. Rex Jim Lawson's songs are very popular, but most people don't know their names, so they draw a blank if you say Sawalele or Love Adure or Iworiwo, but once you sing the song, they go, "O! I know that song".

Waka waka baby, (o yeah)
Wuruwuru baby, (o yeah)
I go tell your mama,
I go tell am say,
You be waka waka baby,

O baby sawalele,
Sawa sawa sawalele,
Ashawo

Number 23: Eddie Quansa is the signature tune of the New Masquerade, so if you've watched the New Masquerade, then you must have heard Eddie Quansa.

3) Baby Jowo: Dr Victor Olaiya and 2Face remixed the song 2 years ago and it's still being played on tv and radio.

Number 1: Sweet Mother is the Nigerian Mother's Day anthem. It is one of the most popular Nigerian songs ever. I've even heard them play it in a church on Mother's Day. Just listen to the radio or watch tv on Mother's Day and you'll hear the song. It's particularly very popular across West Africa, especially Nigeria and Cameroon (Nico Mbarga was half Nigerian and half Cameroonian)

Number 6: Mo Sorire has been remixed by I.K. Dairo's son, Paul Play Dairo and it found renewed fame in the early 2000s.

Number 17: Otanjele was also the signature tune of Femi Robinson's Shoppers Guide and you would have heard the song if you watched the show.

1 Like

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by naptu2: 2:52pm On Nov 02, 2016
Jnrbayano, eaglechild and merahki It has just occurred to me that most of our very popular child stars (singers) are female.

There was Yvonne Maha in the early 1980s.

Tosin Jegede in the mid 80's to early '90s.

Chichi of Africa in the late '80s and early '90s.

Benita Okojie in the mid '90s to early 2000s.

And now there's Amarachi.

The only boy that was a bit successful was Kola Masha and he was not half as famous as the girls listed above.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by eaglechild: 4:46pm On Nov 02, 2016
merahki:

Lol

I also wanted to be that girl with Michael Jackson in "Thriller"...and that girl in that great "Belinda" song by an unknown singerfm

Yes I also thought it was Yvonne Maha that sang "gini ka I na eme oge ncha because it usually played alongside her other songs.

But Naptu2 says it was Chichi of Africa.

I suspect Yvonne has her own version.

1 Like

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by eaglechild: 4:51pm On Nov 02, 2016
naptu2:
Jnrbayano, eaglechild and merahki It has just occurred to me that most of our very popular child stars (singers) are female.

There was Yvonne Maha in the early 1980s.

Tosin Jegede in the mid 80's to early '90s.

Chichi of Africa in the late '80s and early '90s.

Benita Okojie in the mid '90s to early 2000s.

And now there's Amarachi.

The only boy that was a bit successful was Kola Masha and he was not half as famous as the girls listed above.
Kola Masha definitely rings a bell but I can't remember any of his songs.

He was on a TV show I believe.
Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by naptu2: 4:56pm On Nov 02, 2016
eaglechild:

Kola Masha definitely rings a bell but I can't remember any of his songs.

He was on a TV show I believe.

He had his own tv show, he often presented Kiddie Vision 101/Speak Out and he had an album (all these happened c1989-1993).
Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by eaglechild: 5:05pm On Nov 02, 2016
naptu2:

He had his own tv show, he often presented Kiddie Vision 101/Speak Out and he had an album (all these happened c1989-1993).
Oh yes!

Kiddie Vision.
Thanks for the memories.

Meanwhile I stumbled across this.

SIDE A
1. Wings of a Dove
2. Don't Treat Me Like a Child
3. Diocha
SIDE B
1. Lagos Town
2. Going To School
3. Layo Layo

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by naptu2: 5:27pm On Nov 02, 2016
Jnrbayano

Yvonne Maha - Wings Of A Dove (1983).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uDaTaJMhJY

1 Like

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by ikorodureporta: 5:28pm On Nov 02, 2016
Nairaland fp hasnt seen a passionate discussion thread of this sort for a while.....I'm thinking of creating anotha for the real hiphop heads, so tht others could download some of those 'lost tracks'.... Hoping lalasticlala will take it to the promiseland undecided

2 Likes

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by Nobody: 6:01pm On Nov 02, 2016
My goodness @ eaglechild and naptu2
She must have been only a young teen then, barely out of childhood shocked
To my eyes then she looked so grown up and I wanted to grow up to be singing jes like her lipsrsealed
My girl

Whoa
Nostalgia...I am going back to my childhood I swear...do all the things I loove but which I have long "outgrown" eg climb trees (mehnn, I dunno oo, but I want to at least cheesy). Okay real resolution...I will rediscover the beauty that is music...I have somewhat let this passion become very lukewarm...soon I may climb a tree and try not to think of those ants!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by naptu2: 6:16pm On Nov 02, 2016
merahki:
My goodness @ eaglechild and naptu2
She must have been only a young teen then, barely out of childhood shocked
To my eyes then she looked so grown up and I wanted to grow up to be singing jes like her lipsrsealed
My girl

Whoa
Nostalgia...I am going back to my childhood I swear...do all the things I loove but which I have long "outgrown" eg climb trees (mehnn, I dunno oo, but I want to at least cheesy). Okay real resolution...I will rediscover the beauty that is music...I have somewhat let this passion become very lukewarm...soon I may climb a tree and try not to think of those ants!

Here are two absolutely amazing people in one video.

Bala Miller interviewing Yvonne Maha on The Bala Miller Show in 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq_3M9om0D4

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by georgee(m): 6:44pm On Nov 02, 2016
Where is:
Tina Onwudiwe - Black on Black (Asiko l'olaye)
Segun Arinze- Moonlight dance
Black Masquradaz - The Truth (Soudtrack of old Nigerian Movie, Out of Bounds)
Zakkay Azzay - Matta and Hip hop power house
Daddy Fresh - Follow me go Dancehall and Welcome back
Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by jnrbayano(m): 6:46pm On Nov 02, 2016
naptu2:
Jnrbayano

Yvonne Maha - Wings Of A Dove (1983).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uDaTaJMhJY

Nice

1 Like

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by Muffnetmusic: 7:30pm On Nov 02, 2016
MUFFNET RECORDS AUDITION 2016 Muffnet Records present ARTIST sign up!!! are you an up coming artist? Are you good in singing, rapping, dancing and lots more? This is a chance to use what you have to get what you want MUFFNET RECORDS is looking for upcoming talented artistes to come for an audition and if your song is very good you will be among the artistes that will have a record deal with MUFFNET RECORDS and lots of consolation prizes for the participating artistes all interested artistes are to send their songs, stage name, home address, to>>> muffnetmusic@yahoo.com, and contact the (PRIME MINISTER) Hotline: 09081175651
Motto: In God We Trust. God bless......
cool cool cool
Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by jojothaiv(m): 9:20pm On Nov 02, 2016
But Dan Maraya of blessed memory and Mamman Shatta songs ain't included too..

It's being a privilege to have listen to those songs and still have some of them on my laptop!

2 Likes

Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by DeMOznlgxx(m): 10:39pm On Nov 02, 2016
georgee:
Where is:
Tina Onwudiwe - Black on Black (Asiko l'olaye)
Segun Arinze- Moonlight dance
Black Masquradaz - The Truth (Soudtrack of old Nigerian Movie, Out of Bounds)
Zakkay Azzay - Matta and Hip hop power house
Daddy Fresh - Follow me go Dancehall and Welcome back

Great list bruv, came across this thread quite late so I don't know if someone has asked before, but I'll ask anyway. Please there's an old skool song I've been trying to get, I don't know if its Nigerian at all, but the lyrics goes thus; "I want you to be mine . . . I want you by my side, be my guide." Pls can you help me get the name of the artiste and the title of the track. Thanks
Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by DeMOznlgxx(m): 10:40pm On Nov 02, 2016
naptu2:

Here are two absolutely amazing people in one video.

Bala Miller interviewing Yvonne Maha on The Bala Miller Show in 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq_3M9om0D4

Great list bruv, came across this thread quite late so I don't know if someone has asked before, but I'll ask anyway. Please there's an old skool song I've been trying to get, I don't know if its Nigerian at all, but the lyrics goes thus; "I want you to be mine . . . I want you by my side, be my guide." Pls can you help me get the name of the artiste and the title of the track. Thanks
Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by olaleke2(m): 2:19am On Nov 03, 2016
Naptu2

Great list you have there!

But where is Sunny Nneji's "Ikebe" (Mr. Fantastic, Mr. Melody)......

Then, Funmi Adams....where is this woman?? She used to anchor "Tales By Moonlight" then...every Sunday @ 6pm....what happened to her? Please, someone with detailed info should supply answers..

Ohh... the good old days....those were songs...not this trash that is making small boys millionaires....
Re: List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 by olaleke2(m): 4:20am On Nov 03, 2016
"Time Na Money" I believe Mike Okri sang that right??

What about "Rhumba Dance"? Evi-Edna Ogholi songs...Yvonne Chaka Chaka (oops! I think she's South African, along with The late Brenda Fassie and the late Miriam Makebba).

The "Bala Milla Show" used to reign, too...Mamman Shatta..Dan Maraya Jos (both of them are late. Mamman Shatta was a die-hard smoker)...hmmmm

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Unclad Ladies At Ghana Music Awards (Photos) / Download This Hot And Fresh HIP-HOP/R&B Mixtape By DJ Hypno / Muraino Ft. Zinoleesky - Ole (lazy)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.