Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws (7856 Views)

APC Crisis Deepens: Gang-up Against Oyegun Thickens, As Members Petition EFCC / Ondo Crisis Deepens As Protesters Attack Governor Mimiko's Convoy- Premium Times / PDP Crisis: Makarfi Bows, Indicate Resolve To Work With Sheriff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by yns4real: 1:46am On Nov 02, 2016
Justices return case file to Appeal Court President

Faction laments ‘judicial ambush’

The fate of factional Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the Ondo State election Eyitayo Jegede was hanging in the balance yesterday.

A three-man panel set up by Court of Appeal President Justice Zainab Bulkachuwa to determine all appeals relating to the dispute over the governorship candidate of the PDP withdrew from the case.

The Justice Jumai Sankey-led panel announced its withdrawal mid-way into proceedings, citing a petition written against it by the factional chairman of the PDP in Ondo State, Prince Biyi Poroye.

Copies of the petition were sent to President Muhammadu Buhari, Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami, Director General of the Department of State Services (DSS) Lawan Daura and National Security Adviser (NSA) Gen. Babagana Monguno.

Senior members of the two factions of the PDP were in court.

Some of those in court were Ali Modu Sheriff, Ahmed Makarfi, Cairo Ojougboh, Ben Obi, Abdul Ningi, Jimoh Ibrahim, Prince Adedayo Adeyeye, former Niger State Governor Muazu Babangida Aliyu, former Jigawa State Governor Sule Lamido, Senator Annie Okonkwo, former Sports Minister Damishi Sango and former Minister of Solid Minerals Odion Ugbesia.

Although they are from different camps of the party, they did not betray the enmity between them.

On arriving the courtroom, and noting that Makarfi, Obi, Adeyeye, Babangida and Lamido were seated in a corner within the courtroom, Sheriff went straight to them and greeted them loudly. He shook hands with and hugged each of them.

Ibrahim, the candidate of the Sheriff faction, who arrived the court earlier, also went to where Makarfi and others sat and shook hands with each of them.

He spoke with Lamido and Makarfi briefly. Lamido was overhead telling Ibrahim that they should all work for the survival of the party.

A mild drama ensued later when the first case for the day was called and Sheriff and Makarfi stood up to announce their presence in court.

Sheriff was first to stand up and announce himself as “National Chairman of the PDP”. When it was Makarfi’s turn, he announced himself as “Makarfi of the PDP”, a position his supporters objected to by shouting National Chairman.

Sensing that those with him, including Obi, Babangida, Lamido and Adeyeye were not comfortable, Makarfi stood up again and re-introduced himself as “Ahmed Makarfi, Chairman, Caretaker Committee of the PDP.”

On hearing how Makarfi later introduced himself, Sheriff, who sat on the other side of the courtroom, shook his head in approval, saying “yes, he is the Chairman of Caretaker, I am the National Chairman of the PDP”.

Shortly after, parties and lawyers in the case, who had expected the opening of proceedings, were surprised when Justice Sankey spoke of Poroye’s petition.

The appeal that was called was the one filed by former Attorney General of Ondo State and a PDP candidate, who was recently replaced by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) with Ibrahim (following the October 14 order of the Federal High Court, Abuja.), Eyitayo Jegede.

Justice Sankey disclosed that a petition had been written against the panel, containing many allegations, including claim that members of the panel were induced to act in favour of the appellant.

“The petitioner is not only complaining about the speed with which the panel is going about the case, he also said that the setting up of the panel is unnecessary because the case did not require any urgency.

“The petitioner accused me of being very poor. He said because I was ill some years ago, I have become so poor that I am open to corruption. He is using my illness of about five years ago to say I am so poor that I am now open to corruption.

“I carry my poverty with pride. I will not steal anybody’s money,” Justice Sankey said.

Another member of the panel, Justice Emmanuel Agim, wondered why the petitioner failed to explore the legitimate process of asking a judge to withdraw from a case rather than resorting to casting aspersions on innocent judges via a petition containing unsubstantiated allegations.

“One of the allegations in the petition is that the reason we are doing this case is that we have been paid money,” Justice Agim said.

At a point, the Justices in the panel, including Justice Oluwayemisi Williams-Dawudu, asked the petitioner to step out in the open court.

Justice Williams-Dawudu said “if the petitioner was confident enough to raise allegations against them, he should be bold enough to come out in the open and defend his allegations”.

Poroye, it was learnt, left the court moment before the issue was raised.

When the panel sought the views of Wole Olanipekun (SAN), who represented Jegede, the lawyer said he was embarrassed by the petition. He condemned it and asked that the panel should proceed to hear the case in view of the fact that time was of the essence.

Olanipekun urged the Justices not to succumb to an attempt to intimidate them. He suggested that the petitioner should be handed over to security agents for interrogation and that the outcome of the investigation should be made public.

Lawyer to Pororye and eight other members of his executive in Ondo PDP, Alex Iziyon (SAN), distanced himself from the petition. He said he was not informed by one of his clients that a petition was being authored.

Iziyon said the Justices should not be bothered by the antics of politicians, who have chosen to turn the court into a football that they could play around as it pleases them.

He told the court that a similar petition was written “by the other party against the trial judge at the lower court. They cannot now complain because they are now at the receiving end.

When asked by Justice Agim if he would continue to risk his good name by continuing to represent Poroye, Iziyon said he would take a decision on whether or not to withdraw his representation after he must have had audience with Poroye.

After listening to lawyers in the case, the panel rose briefly, only to return about 30 minutes later to announce its withdrawal.

“Ordinarily, since no facts have been placed before this court formally, to show a likelihood of bias on the part of the panel, and since learned Senior Advocate for the petitioner and first respondent has disassociated himself from the petition, we would have been minded to continue with the hearing of these appeals.

“Even though this petition has fallen short of showing any likelihood of bias, nonetheless, we consider it more desirable to recuse ourselves at this stage in respect of all appeals and applications connected to the Ondo State governorship election.

“All the files in this regard are now sent back to the Honourable President of the Court of Appeal for re-assignment,” Justice Sankey said in a short ruling.

http://thenationonlineng.net/ondo-pdp-crisis-deepens-court-panel-withdraws/

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by emotions1: 2:04am On Nov 02, 2016
OYO...

I repeat it you are on your own. sad

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by Flexherbal(m): 3:33am On Nov 02, 2016
We are tired of complaining...
Nigerians will wake up soon.

2 Likes

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by Nobody: 3:45am On Nov 02, 2016
Lol. Cat and mouse thingy. What happened to PDP is what you will continue to hear in the camp of your enemies. Say amen or remain in the other room 4 life.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by Donshegxy10(m): 3:52am On Nov 02, 2016
yam pepper scatter scatter. . . I am observing.
Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by modath(f): 4:26am On Nov 02, 2016
Flight07:
Lol. Cat and mouse thingy. What happened to PDP is what you will continue to hear in the camp of your enemies. Say amen or remain in the other room 4 life.

Amen raised to the power of forever & ever , amen..

5 Likes

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by Mynd44: 5:29am On Nov 02, 2016
“The petitioner accused me of being very poor. He said because I was ill some years ago, I have become so poor that I am open to corruption. He is using my illness of about five years ago to say I am so poor that I am now open to corruption "

Politicians are the worst set of people on earth.

Lawyers are on that list too but the lawyers that represent politicians are another level of scum.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by ajoskele(m): 8:22am On Nov 02, 2016
.The report is not complete.

When the Judges asked Poroye to step out and defend the petition and was nowhere to be found, a young lawyer stepped out and finally nailed the judges to the coffin.

Why set special appeal panel for this case? What is different? Who is special here?
Again, the speed with which the case is being heard is unprecedented.

The judges had no option than to hands off the case.
Mimiko is a goner!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by Opinedecandid(m): 8:23am On Nov 02, 2016
Don't shy away, disobey the powers that be, and rule in favour of the rule of law ONLY.
Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by olaolulazio(m): 8:23am On Nov 02, 2016
what is Ondo?
Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by achikolo1(f): 8:24am On Nov 02, 2016
[quote author=yns4real post=50694671]
Justices return case file to Appeal Court President

Faction laments ‘judicial ambush’

The fate of factional Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the Ondo State election Eyitayo Jegede was hanging in the balance yesterday.

A three-man panel set up by Court of Appeal President Justice Zainab Bulkachuwa to determine all appeals relating to the dispute over the governorship candidate of the PDP withdrew from the case.

The Justice Jumai Sankey-led panel announced its withdrawal mid-way into proceedings, citing a petition written against it by the factional chairman of the PDP in Ondo State, Prince Biyi Poroye.

Copies of the petition were sent to President Muhammadu Buhari, Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami, Director General of the Department of State Services (DSS) Lawan Daura and National Security Adviser (NSA) Gen. Babagana Monguno.

Senior members of the two factions of the PDP were in court.

Some of those in court were Ali Modu Sheriff, Ahmed Makarfi, Cairo Ojougboh, Ben Obi, Abdul Ningi, Jimoh Ibrahim, Prince Adedayo Adeyeye, former Niger State Governor Muazu Babangida Aliyu, former Jigawa State Governor Sule Lamido, Senator Annie Okonkwo, former Sports Minister Damishi Sango and former Minister of Solid Minerals Odion Ugbesia.

Although they are from different camps of the party, they did not betray the enmity between them.

On arriving the courtroom, and noting that Makarfi, Obi, Adeyeye, Babangida and Lamido were seated in a corner within the courtroom, Sheriff went straight to them and greeted them loudly. He shook hands with and hugged each of them.

Ibrahim, the candidate of the Sheriff faction, who arrived the court earlier, also went to where Makarfi and others sat and shook hands with each of them.

He spoke with Lamido and Makarfi briefly. Lamido was overhead telling Ibrahim that they should all work for the survival of the party.

A mild drama ensued later when the first case for the day was called and Sheriff and Makarfi stood up to announce their presence in court.

Sheriff was first to stand up and announce himself as “National Chairman of the PDP”. When it was Makarfi’s turn, he announced himself as “Makarfi of the PDP”, a position his supporters objected to by shouting National Chairman.

Sensing that those with him, including Obi, Babangida, Lamido and Adeyeye were not comfortable, Makarfi stood up again and re-introduced himself as “Ahmed Makarfi, Chairman, Caretaker Committee of the PDP.”

On hearing how Makarfi later introduced himself, Sheriff, who sat on the other side of the courtroom, shook his head in approval, saying “yes, he is the Chairman of Caretaker, I am the National Chairman of the PDP”.

Shortly after, parties and lawyers in the case, who had expected the opening of proceedings, were surprised when Justice Sankey spoke of Poroye’s petition.

The appeal that was called was the one filed by former Attorney General of Ondo State and a PDP candidate, who was recently replaced by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) with Ibrahim (following the October 14 order of the Federal High Court, Abuja.), Eyitayo Jegede.

Justice Sankey disclosed that a petition had been written against the panel, containing many allegations, including claim that members of the panel were induced to act in favour of the appellant.

“The petitioner is not only complaining about the speed with which the panel is going about the case, he also said that the setting up of the panel is unnecessary because the case did not require any urgency.

“The petitioner accused me of being very poor. He said because I was ill some years ago, I have become so poor that I am open to corruption. He is using my illness of about five years ago to say I am so poor that I am now open to corruption.

“I carry my poverty with pride. I will not steal anybody’s money,” Justice Sankey said.

Another member of the panel, Justice Emmanuel Agim, wondered why the petitioner failed to explore the legitimate process of asking a judge to withdraw from a case rather than resorting to casting aspersions on innocent judges via a petition containing unsubstantiated allegations.

“One of the allegations in the petition is that the reason we are doing this case is that we have been paid money,” Justice Agim said.

At a point, the Justices in the panel, including Justice Oluwayemisi Williams-Dawudu, asked the petitioner to step out in the open court.

Justice Williams-Dawudu said “if the petitioner was confident enough to raise allegations against them, he should be bold enough to come out in the open and defend his allegations”.

Poroye, it was learnt, left the court moment before the issue was raised.

When the panel sought the views of Wole Olanipekun (SAN), who represented Jegede, the lawyer said he was embarrassed by the petition. He condemned it and asked that the panel should proceed to hear the case in view of the fact that time was of the essence.

Olanipekun urged the Justices not to succumb to an attempt to intimidate them. He suggested that the petitioner should be handed over to security agents for interrogation and that the outcome of the investigation should be made public.

Lawyer to Pororye and eight other members of his executive in Ondo PDP, Alex Iziyon (SAN), distanced himself from the petition. He said he was not informed by one of his clients that a petition was being authored.

Iziyon said the Justices should not be bothered by the antics of politicians, who have chosen to turn the court into a football that they could play around as it pleases them.

He told the court that a similar petition was written “by the other party against the trial judge at the lower court. They cannot now complain because they are now at the receiving end.

When asked by Justice Agim if he would continue to risk his good name by continuing to represent Poroye, Iziyon said he would take a decision on whether or not to withdraw his representation after he must have had audience with Poroye.

After listening to lawyers in the case, the panel rose briefly, only to return about 30 minutes later to announce its withdrawal.

“Ordinarily, since no facts have been placed before this court formally, to show a likelihood of bias on the part of the panel, and since learned Senior Advocate for the petitioner and first respondent has disassociated himself from the petition, we would have been minded to continue with the hearing of these appeals.

“Even though this petition has fallen short of showing any likelihood of bias, nonetheless, we consider it more desirable to recuse ourselves at this stage in respect of all appeals and applications connected to the Ondo State governorship election.

“All the files in this regard are now sent back to the Honourable President of the Court of Appeal for re-assignment,” Justice Sankey said in a short pls how will I make front page and is there any award for front page ?
Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by Olasco93: 8:26am On Nov 02, 2016
If the present so "called leaders" and those venturing for Power were the ones we have during Colonial Era, there is no way Nigeria would have attain her Independence, because their mentality, motive and purpose(s) is not just inhuman and selfish, they are also very dangerous.
I weep for those Fighting for power in our Wonderful Nation Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by sakalisis(m): 8:27am On Nov 02, 2016
cry lipsrsealed
Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by vickylincon(m): 8:28am On Nov 02, 2016
I hope they know this is not sheriff faction
Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by SamuelAnyawu(m): 8:28am On Nov 02, 2016
Mynd44:
“The petitioner accused me of being very poor. He said because I was ill some years ago, I have become so poor that I am open to corruption. He is using my illness of about five years ago to say I am so poor that I am now open to corruption "

Politicians are the worst set of people on earth.

Lawyers are on that list too but the lawyers that represent politicians are another level of scum.

@Bolded... Our politicians can go to any length to get what they want. Ridiculing someone with his/her health challenges cry cry cry cry

4 Likes

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by Realdeals(m): 8:29am On Nov 02, 2016
grin another Nollywood movie in the making

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by Seun4FastLoans(f): 8:30am On Nov 02, 2016
Okay
Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by Danny287(m): 8:31am On Nov 02, 2016
Na wa o dont just know when all this would end
Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by wildchild1: 8:35am On Nov 02, 2016
PDP is doomed, the Makarfi better goa talk to Ali Modu Sheriff's faction or else...

Check my signature
Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by Durazill(f): 8:36am On Nov 02, 2016
Pdp never see anything
Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by wellmax(m): 8:40am On Nov 02, 2016
Some of those in court were Ali Modu Sheriff, Ahmed Makarfi, Cairo Ojougboh, Ben Obi, Abdul Ningi, Jimoh Ibrahim, Prince Adedayo Adeyeye, former Niger State Governor Muazu Babangida Aliyu, former Jigawa State Governor Sule Lamido, Senator Annie Okonkwo, former Sports Minister Damishi Sango and former Minister of Solid Minerals Odion Ugbesia.v

All because of Ondo
Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by wellmax(m): 8:42am On Nov 02, 2016

Look at them. As far as they are concerned Politics is business.
You jobless youths go ahead and kill for a politician that doesn’t know you nor care about your existence.

2 Likes

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by mailmitch(m): 8:52am On Nov 02, 2016
And somebdy will tell me we have a presidnt full of integrity. Now we can just imagine were Nigeria is heading to wre, judges are afraid of hearing cases because dey are afraid of being picked up by the DSS. Ebay kind if country are we living in.

1 Like

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by falxx: 9:00am On Nov 02, 2016
So, this is how this country is being melted away by this Buhari's government abi? Is this how this country that was built over the years and just few seconds, is going down just like that because we have a president who does not know his left from his right? Am asking is this how this country will melt like salt. Everything under Buhari is just to disorganise and not to build? This Buhari refused to change his team including Adeosun, the junior account clerk who is supposed to be working in one man business, the budget adviser, another minister who does not know keft from his left is still there abi? So this nonsesnse and foolish Buhari has indeed come with his empty coconut brain just to pull down this country within two years? God dey sha. What is really happening?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by falxx: 9:18am On Nov 02, 2016
Olasco93:
If the present so "called leaders" and those venturing for Power were the ones we have during Colonial Era, there is no way Nigeria would have attain her Independence, because their mentality, motive and purpose(s) is not just inhuman and selfish, they are also very dangerous.
I weep for those Fighting for power in our Wonderful Nation Nigeria.
If some one had told me that as at today, this country will become so useless and aimless like as it is now, I would have doubted it. Buhari had been like this. He is never a good man that can being about development. His first coming was like this. Am sure many people are aware of that time. Heis never a trained leader that can move a country forward. Imagine where we are just within two years. Everything appear to be falling backward. Judges withdrawing left and right. Fake petisions everywhere and all this will earn the support of Buharo because all of them are in his favour. Are we not moving toward one party system? Sha, no problems. Nigerians will cry openly for voting Buhari and apc.

1 Like

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by awayeyebundle: 9:21am On Nov 02, 2016
When the Judge called on Sheriff to announce himself or introduce himself...he said National Chairman of PDP but when they called Markaffi to introduce himself he said "Markaffi of PDP later after rowdy voice from those of his supporter he said Caretaker of PDP...this is simple English.Read the statement and tell who suppose to produce the governor in Ondo state if not for Sheriff....Abeg Mimiko buried ur pride and reconcile with Jimoh Ibrahim and let Peace reign.....

2 Likes

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by vestyne: 10:51am On Nov 02, 2016
ajoskele:
.The report is not complete.

When the Judges asked Poroye to step out and defend the petition and was nowhere to be found, a young lawyer stepped out and finally nailed the judges to the coffin.

Why set special appeal panel for this case? What is different? Who is special here?
Again, the speed with which the case is being heard is unprecedented.

The judges had no option than to hands off the case.
Mimiko is a goner!

Are you not aware that the election which is the crux of the suit is slated for November? Accelerated hearing can be ordered and special panel can indeed be set up in matters of urgency.
Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by omenka(m): 10:54am On Nov 02, 2016
Kikikiki. Too many bad news for the enemies of Nigeria this morning! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by ajoskele(m): 11:00am On Nov 02, 2016
vestyne:

Are you not aware that the election which is the crux of the suit is slated for November? Accelerated hearing can be ordered and special panel can indeed be set up in matters of urgency.
Matters of urgency, you say?

I am not a lawyer but the order was first given around June. There was no urgency then?
Another one was given in September. No urgency then?
They now went to court after the 27th october INEC deadline and it is being accelerated and you think something is not fishy?
Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by Pidggin(f): 11:03am On Nov 02, 2016
The fear of DSS and Buhari is beginning of partisan judgement.

Obviously our judiciary has been compromised, smh

1 Like

Re: Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws by Justiceleague1: 11:34am On Nov 02, 2016
Pidggin:
The fear of DSS and Buhari is beginning of partisan judgement.

Obviously our judiciary has been compromised, smh

its so unfortunate. We are now in a banana republic. The judges and the courts are now like little frightened pups with their tail under,afraid of buhari and dss.

That resident methuselan grumpus should tell us how this is bad news to 'certain ppl'..grumpus de la solomon grundy of a by force minister of ipob affairs.. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

EFCC Vs Saraki: An Unending Saga / Real Fulani By Photos / Abia Resident Doctors On Strike For Almost A Year – NARD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.