Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) (51906 Views)

Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor / Is Ugu Farming This Useless? / Dry Season Ugu Farming With Pictures.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 8:36pm On Nov 02, 2016
Hello All,

I am starting this thread basically for the following objectives

- To properly document the process of dry season Ugu farming.
- To pinpoint my challenges and process
- To help validate the viability of The SIF Project (I will talk about this project much later)
- To source professional contribution during the course of this process
- To show proven financial index (whether profit or loss) during the course of this process

These objectives outlined are not all inclusive but I hope it gives a thorough concept of what I aim to achieve.

I pray the thread will be beneficial to someone out there especially the unemployed youths who have passion for the agribusiness.

The teaching methodology will have a lot to do with pictorial statements so has to help drive the points better.

Starting tomorrow by God's grace, The process should be in top gear.

NOTE: I started this year's dry season ugu farming on the 1st November, 2016.

Do have a good rest.

Ejula Farm.

UPDATE 11/14/2016

How to Plant Ugu seed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_C58UO43m0

UPDATE 11/26/2016

SURVEY

Hello house, it has been a great journey so far. In other to make this learning process concrete, I will like everyone especially the experienced ugu farmers to help take this 1 min survey so has to ascertain the pricing methodology for Ugu leaves.

I will greatly appreciate your input. I will share the survey with only the respondents. So please kindly respond.

Please you don't have to be an existing farmer to fill this survey out but you should have concrete information on how Ugu leaves is sold in your location.

Survey link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc6vJZCG71OC6b5SgN7SUbM-PPHdQdlqSxYfBnRKxZ7ymWY7w/viewform

Thank you.

Ejula Farm

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Dadanoah(m): 9:29pm On Nov 02, 2016
Ejulafarm:
Hello All,

I am starting this thread basically for the following objectives

- To properly document the process of dry season Ugu farming.
- To pinpoint my challenges and process
- To help validate the viability of The SIF Project (I will talk about this project much later)
- To source professional contribution during the course of this process
- To show proven financial index (whether profit or loss) during the course of this process

These objectives outlined are not all inclusive but I hope it gives a thorough concept of what I aim to achieve.

I pray the thread will be beneficial to someone out there especially the unemployed youths who have passion for the agribusiness.

The teaching methodology will have a lot to do with pictorial statements so has to help drive the points better.

Starting tomorrow by God's grace, The process should be in top gear.

NOTE: I started this year's dry season ugu farming on the 1st November, 2016.

Do have a good rest.

Ejula Farm.
Am waiting

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Neduzze5(m): 9:44pm On Nov 02, 2016
Following
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Emempaul(m): 10:49pm On Nov 02, 2016
Following. Try adding pics
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by SUPERPACK: 12:46am On Nov 03, 2016
hmm, my partner in crime.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by aboutbiz: 9:39am On Nov 03, 2016
am interested and following.
Please try to talk on the marketing of it also
Thank you
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 7:32pm On Nov 03, 2016
Thank you all for showing interest. I pray I do justice to this topic.

So without further a due, let's drive straight to the topic before us.

I will like to give the SCOPE of this project before commencing.

Target Farm Size: 8 - 10 Plots.

Duration of Project: 3 - 5 months

Season of Project: Dry season

Targeted ROI : 120%

Estimated setup cost: Inconclusive for Now

I will approach this project discourse with the agile methodology in mind. Meaning I will be jumping from one point to another without a coordinated approach but not obtuse.

Note: I prefer to use range in my description because nothing is too exact in the agribusiness world. I hope you bear with me.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 7:41pm On Nov 03, 2016
UGU Seeds

This single factor can make or mar your investment. Talking from experience.

My Advice: Go directly to the farmer and see how well his/her ugu leave is doing before making a purchase. Thank me later cheesy

Seed Dormancy

It measures the time the seed takes before it can germinate. Read more here www.sproutnet.com/seed-dormancy

How do one break or shorten this time? You can dry for like say 24-48 hours. I will advice, you put it under a moderate sunlight. I dried mine in the room because I just aim to reduce the moisture content.

Picture of seed planted.

2 Likes

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 7:45pm On Nov 03, 2016
What about seeds showing sign of germination?

Well, go ahead and plant without bothering yourself with drying up the moisture content.

And Yes, some of my seeds where already germinating right inside the pod before breaking the pod.

I have attached a pic to give you a good idea of seeds already germinating

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 7:54pm On Nov 03, 2016
I will delve more into seeds soon. Please bear with me. I have worked for close to 7 hours today (4 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening hours) and with my farm manager as my only assistance.

I will cover the following next:

Ugu seed type

Ugu seed Pricing

Ugu seed plant spacing

Ugu seed treatment

And hopefully show more pics as we go along.

Do have a great rest.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by youngzoologist: 9:12pm On Nov 03, 2016
Great job....I like to find out...what's the average seeds you got per pod...its the size of pods a factor to good yield...
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by dejia(m): 11:09pm On Nov 03, 2016
Ejulafarm,

Am following closely..

How much did you buy your seeds for?

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by bizz(m): 5:33am On Nov 04, 2016
following
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by aboutbiz: 7:06am On Nov 04, 2016
Mr. Eluja Good morning sir
Thank you so much for thid thread may GOD help be with you.
Please help us on the marketing aspect also.
Thank you sir
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by loneytunes(m): 10:38am On Nov 04, 2016
Ejulafarm:
UGU Seeds

This single factor can make or mar your investment. Talking from experience.

My Advice: Go directly to the farmer and see how well his/her ugu leave is doing before making a purchase. Thank me later cheesy

Seed Dormancy

It measures the time the seed takes before it can germinate. Read more here www.sproutnet.com/seed-dormancy

How do one break or shorten this time? You can dry for like say 24-48 hours. I will advice, you put it under a moderate sunlight. I dried mine in the room because I just aim to reduce the moisture content.

Picture of seed planted.

Good project! Please where is your farm located? Do you have ugu fruits for sale?
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 10:46am On Nov 04, 2016
dejia:
Ejulafarm,

Am following closely..

How much did you buy your seeds for?

I booked the seeds earlier from a farmer friend. The average cost is about #25 (considering we are closely acquainted). But budget #50 for a good seed from a farmer. A pod can be priced at #1500-1800. Hope this helps

Ejula Farm

2 Likes

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 10:49am On Nov 04, 2016
youngzoologist:
Great job....I like to find out...what's the average seeds you got per pod...its the size of pods a factor to good yield...
Thanks

Average of 60 seeds per big pod.

Yesterday, this is the range I got from 9 pods.

Minimum seed per pod - 42
Maximum seed per pod - 101
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 10:52am On Nov 04, 2016
aboutbiz:
Mr. Eluja Good morning sir
Thank you so much for thid thread may GOD help be with you.
Please help us on the marketing aspect also.
Thank you sir

Honestly, Ugu don't need all the marketing like other vegetables. The only issue of concern is to bargain well.

I already have standby buyers for my Ugu leaves. I hope by God's grace to export my farmed ugu before second quarter of next year.

I will deal on general marketing much later on the thread

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 10:55am On Nov 04, 2016
loneytunes:

Good project! Please where is your farm located? Do you have ugu fruits for sale?

Sorry I don't have seeds for sale. And even presently, I am still scouting for more seeds.

I will be specific of my location as the thread mature. But know I am in ogun part close to lagos.

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 11:20am On Nov 04, 2016
I am replying the thread this morning because I took the morning hours off but will resume on the farm when the sun is down. So Lets get started

Seed Spacing:

This is a big factor when it comes to yield. The textbook and ideal recommendation is 1m * 0.5m Spacing. Ideally, this spacing is recommended so as to help plant root get the required nutrients without much fight.

Demerit of this spacing method:
- Much land is required
- Weed control is more pronounced compared to small spacing
- More laborous

Merit
- Better yield when compared to tight spacing

So Let me talk about the other spacing which is usually adopted by most farmers I have come across. Let's call this "Management Spacing".

The Management spacing is roughly 1.5ft by 1ft. I am adopting this for my planting. As you already know, we have demerit and merit for this.

Merit
- Easy and better management of Land
- Easy control of weed compared to the "ideal" spacing
- Less labour

Demerit
- High competition for soil nutrients between plant roots

This demerit can be effectively managed by making sure there's no lack of nutrients in the soil by the effective application of organic or inorganic fertilizer.

I prefer organic because of longer shelf live for ugu leaves. More on this later.

Food for thought:

4000 seeds is needed to fully cover an acre of Land using the ideal spacing method

But it is good to note that 4000 seeds can be effectively managed in just two plots by employing the management spacing technique. And the same yield will be achieved if you reduce the competition for soil nutrients by plant roots.

I hope this help. Any addition will be made as we progress.

Mind blown Segment

An acre of Ugu farm can yield over 600,000 Naira with setup cost of #250,000 in a space of 3 months in the raining season. What do you think will be the yield in the DRY season?

4 Likes

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by stagger: 12:57pm On Nov 04, 2016
Ejulafarm:
I am replying the thread this morning because I took the morning hours off but will resume on the farm when the sun is down. So Lets get started

Seed Spacing:

This is a big factor when it comes to yield. The textbook and ideal recommendation is 1m * 0.5m Spacing. Ideally, this spacing is recommended so as to help plant root get the required nutrients without much fight.

- Much land is required
- More laborous

Merit

So Let me talk about the other spacing which is usually adopted by most farmers I have come across. Let's call this "Management Spacing".

The Management spacing is roughly 1.5ft by 1ft. I am adopting this for my planting. As you already know, we have demerit and merit for this.

Merit
- Less labour

Demerit

This demerit can be effectively managed by making sure there's no lack of nutrients in the soil by the effective application of organic or inorganic fertilizer.

I prefer organic because of longer shelf live for ugu leaves. More on this later.

Food for thought:

4000 seeds is needed to fully cover an acre of Land using the ideal spacing method

But it is good to note that 4000 seeds can be effectively managed in just two plots by employing the management spacing technique. And the same yield will be achieved if you reduce the competition for soil nutrients by plant roots.

Mind blown Segment

An acre of Ugu farm can yield over 600,000 Naira with setup cost of #250,000 in a space of 3 months in the raining season. What do you think will be the yield in the DRY season?

I can't wait to find out more about your irrigation techniques and how much it costs to set this up. Kudos.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by youngzoologist: 3:34pm On Nov 04, 2016
Ejulafarm:

Average of 60 seeds per big pod.

Yesterday, this is the range I got from 9 pods.

Minimum seed per pod - 42
Maximum seed per pod - 101
Thanks greatly great agropreneurs....I have no doubt in my mind that with time this country will change for the better most especially at the leadership stage.....I'm also working on an hectare of land for ugu as a group this dry season...will equally share the success stories.
I'm proud of you....I'm located in Lagos...my whatsapp is 08077523538

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by olaide68(m): 7:22pm On Nov 04, 2016
[color=#000000][/color]
Ejulafarm:

Seed Spacing:

- Much land is required
- More laborous

Merit

Merit
- Less labour

Demerit

Food for thought:

Mind blown Segment

Good job welldone,this an encouragement for me as I am about to acquire a piece of land in Ososa Ijebu for the purpose.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Emempaul(m): 7:38pm On Nov 04, 2016
I agree with all u said. I used d rainy season to raise ugu for client solely for d seeds in prep for dry season farming and wud b starting d dry season farming soon. Will b following u closely
Ejulafarm:

Seed Spacing:

- Much land is required
- More laborous

Merit

Merit
- Less labour

Demerit

Food for thought:

Mind blown Segment

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by aboutbiz: 11:15pm On Nov 04, 2016
Mr. Ejula Thank you so much sir
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 6:01am On Nov 05, 2016
@youngzoologist, It's good to see your group is delving into this lucrative and ofcourse demanding farming project.

Seed Treatment

Much debate on this subject matter. In the general role of thumb, a proportionate mixture of fungicide and insecticide is good for ugu seed treatment.

I prefer to rather break the dormancy of the seed, this will help reduce the time it will take for it to be in the soil prior to germination. This invariable helps to promote the seed germination before insect attack. And you should also note that the probability of a seed to be attacked by fungi is greatly reduced if the seed is properly dried.

Ofcourse, treatment of seed by chemicals is a way to go if you know the ins and outs. I just prefer the natural way (sunning) since it has worked for me in the past.

@stagger, I will be having about 3 different location where I will be running this project. 2 of these locations is close to the water body and partly it is a wet land. But the total of this land close to the water is roughly 2 to 3 plots. And note that there is a well already dunged up. It will be mechanical watering.

For the other 6-8 plots not close to the water, a borehole will be dunged soon. But I will not be incorporating drip or sprinkler but rather I will use water hose that will flow water due to gravity. I will be using a high overhead tank.

All this will be showed while the thread progress.

@All, below is Phase A of the water land that is planted fully. I adopted the idea of phasing the project to easily manageable segments.

The pic below is just roughly 120 square meter but it contains 575 seeds. Recall, I am adopting manageable spacing method as against the idea method.

So as the thread progress, I will be able to tell the house what revenue each phase was able to accrue.

Ready to go the farm. See you all soon by God's grace

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by olaide68(m): 10:46am On Nov 05, 2016
Ejulafarm:
@youngzoologist, It's good to see your group is delving into this lucrative and ofcourse demanding farming project.

Seed Treatment

Much debate on this subject matter. In the general role of thumb, a proportionate mixture of fungicide and insecticide is good for ugu seed treatment.

I prefer to rather break the dormancy of the seed, this will help reduce the time it will take for it to be in the soil prior to germination. This invariable helps to promote the seed germination before insect attack. And you should also note that the probability of a seed to be attacked by fungi is greatly reduced if the seed is properly dried.

Ofcourse, treatment of seed by chemicals is a way to go if you know the ins and outs. I just prefer the natural way (sunning) since it has worked for me in the past.

@stagger, I will be having about 3 different location where I will be running this project. 2 of these locations is close to the water body and partly it is a wet land. But the total of this land close to the water is roughly 2 to 3 plots. And note that there is a well already dunged up. It will be mechanical watering.

For the other 6-8 plots not close to the water, a borehole will be dunged soon. But I will not be incorporating drip or sprinkler but rather I will use water hose that will flow water due to gravity. I will be using a high overhead tank.

All this will be showed while the thread progress.

@All, below is Phase A of the water land that is planted fully. I adopted the idea of phasing the project to easily manageable segments.

The pic below is just roughly 120 square meter but it contains 575 seeds. Recall, I am adopting manageable spacing method as against the idea method.

So as the thread progress, I will be able to tell the house what revenue each phase was able to accrue.

Ready to go the farm. See you all soon by God's grace

welldone, G0d bless
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by stagger: 1:22pm On Nov 05, 2016
Another question: what protectionist measures can one take against these herdsmen, seeing that in the dry season, they will be looking for vegetation more than ever before?

I would like to have ideas for the cheapest and most effective fencing method for securing 10 plots of land for ugu farming.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Emempaul(m): 9:59pm On Nov 05, 2016
Even if u use brick, i cin herdsmen delibrately pull down a fence to feed their cow while just a few meters away was an open field of cassava but dey didnt dear go near. D cheapest and effective way of fencing is bamboo and branches of oil palm as it is done in my area.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by lexicot: 8:05am On Nov 06, 2016
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 8:07am On Nov 06, 2016
For security concern, the method I proposed is not cheap but worth while. I intend using an animal barrier made up of iron rod which is cemented to the ground. I am making the investment since the ugu farming will be year round. The pics below is meshed but the proposed one would not need any mesh.

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 8:18am On Nov 06, 2016
SWOT Analysis

Strength: In ugu farming, there's alot of vantage point for the farmer. Some of the strengths will be highlighted here.

- It is not a perennial or bi-annual crop. In just as little as 2 months, one can start seeing his/her investment yielding fruit.

- It is the most demanded vegetable in Nigeria compared to water leaf, soko or ewedu

- It has a strong export value. Already states like anambra and other individuals are tapping into it

- It is easy to farm, all that is needed is commitment and passion.

- Its ROI is over 100% in a space of 4 months if properly farmed.

There's quite a lot when it comes to Ugu farming. As the thread progress, I will make additions.

Happy Sunday All.

Ejula Farm

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Woman Shows Off The Big Cassava She Harvested (Photos) / Some Popular Species Of Chickens We Eat In Nigeria [PHOTOS] / The 2nd Most Prolific Animals!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.