Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,332 members, 7,780,868 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:17 AM

Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) (51682 Views)

Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor / Is Ugu Farming This Useless? / Dry Season Ugu Farming With Pictures.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by olaide68(m): 8:26am On Nov 07, 2016
Ejulafarm:
SWOT Analysis

Strength: In ugu farming, there's alot of vantage point for the farmer. Some of the strengths will be highlighted here.

- It is not a perennial or bi-annual crop. In just as little as 2 months, one can start seeing his/her investment yielding fruit.

- It is the most demanded vegetable in Nigeria compared to water leaf, soko or ewedu

- It has a strong export value. Already states like anambra and other individuals are tapping into it

- It is easy to farm, all that is needed is commitment and passion.

- Its ROI is over 100% in a space of 4 months if properly farmed.

There's quite a lot when it comes to Ugu farming. As the thread progress, I will make additions.

Happy Sunday All.

Ejula Farm
Good morning Ejula farms,how was your weekend?Hope we are still on the lesson this week?God we be your strenght.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by olaide68(m): 2:56pm On Nov 07, 2016
olaide68:
Good morning Ejula farms,how was your weekend?Hope we are still on the lesson this week?God will be your strenght.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by funstufz: 4:24pm On Nov 07, 2016
Ejulafarms, please where do you based?
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 7:08pm On Nov 07, 2016
[quote author=olaide68 post=50841152][/quote]

I will try as much as I can to live up to my word i.e. by updating my progress and shortcomings. Majorly to empower someone out there, Technically.

Today, I felt the harmattan breeze and the chill as well. I hope it is not what I am thinking cos I really want the rain to help the ugu sprout out before welcoming the dry season proper. Anyway, all things work for good.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 7:09pm On Nov 07, 2016
funstufz:
Ejulafarms, please where do you based?

In ogun but close to lagos. I will be specific with time.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 7:24pm On Nov 07, 2016
Okay. Time for some progress report.

Good news is that some of my ugu seed started sprouting after just 4 days. But please do realize that it is those that are already germinating right inside the pod.

I entered into Phase B Land of my project as at yesterday and it is about 80 percent completed as at this evening.

Phase B

Size: 149 square meter

Seeds planted: 325 as at this evening

No of beds: 4

Picture: To be available soon.

I did manual irrigation this evening because of the scorching sun this afternoon and lack of rain. I got water from the nearby dug up well.

I propose to use mechanical irrigation by the end of this month. The mechanical irrigation is simply using water hose attached to a GP tank and thereby achieve flow by gravity. I will pump water from the well into the tank.

The mechanical irrigation was projected to be installed at the end of this month believing the rain will go in december but since I have started experiencing harmattan, I guess I have to act fast.

Note: Apology for no pictorial representation, Hopefully plenty pics tomorrow. I am really tired. Remember, I'm presently far from the mechanized farming concept for now but I hope to join the league soon by God's grace. Really sick of this hole and cutlass farming.. grin grin

But hey, Proud Team hole and cutlass. Afterall, It helps build a solid foundation in my opinion. But don't end up in that category for too long. Unless you want to repeat the same success story of our fore fathers. wink wink

Ejula Farm

3 Likes

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Juliana7: 10:45pm On Nov 07, 2016
@ejulafarms, thanks for dis thread,i will be following dis thread bumper to bumper. Keep it up sir. I am learning a lot from u, i'm ur e- student lol. Thanks
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ugole2013(m): 11:43pm On Nov 07, 2016
Ejulafarm:

Sorry I don't have seeds for sale. And even presently, I am still scouting for more seeds.

I will be specific of my location as the thread mature. But know I am in ogun part close to lagos.

I have good seeds for sale. I will attach pics from my farm soon.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by olaide68(m): 5:30am On Nov 08, 2016
[color=#000000][/color]
Ugole2013:

how do you sell?At what prise.I am in need.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 6:10pm On Nov 08, 2016
Ugole2013:

Ok. I will let you know as soon as I need some which is by the corner. But I have to come to see the farm or leaves that beget the said seeds. I will foot my bill of coming down where you are. If you are okay with this, then we have a deal. And pricing would be a huge factor since I need many.

EJULA Farm
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 6:22pm On Nov 08, 2016
SWOT Analysis

Weakness

Okay. There is suppose to be balance in life. Balance between Good and Evil, male and female. Guess this contrast makes life what it is; Fun.

One major weakness in ugu farming is the Irrigation factor: Ugu need water especially doing the dry season. Recall we farm it especially for its leaves . And the freshness of the leave is tantamount to the availability and sufficiency of water.

Mechanization: Planting ugu from my research will still have to be done manually because of the positioning of the seed doing planting. There's yet to be a planter that will accurately sow ugu seed.

Cost of seed: Ugu seed is one of the most expensive among its pairs. Imagine a single seed going for N50-N70. And the probability of it germinating is not even 100%.

Bad seed: The market women will do anything to promote their sale by telling you this seed or that seed is igbo or calabar or portharcourt seed (Note: These are the names for the good seed). Well, I have threaded that part and I have decided to get my seeds directly from the farm.

Setup cost: No matter how you see it, the setup cost is "risk-ly" high. I mean despite a good ROI, any mistake on the part of the farmer or investor may lead to a huge loss due to the high startup cost.

If I come across any addition, I will add it up.

EJULA Farm.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 6:25pm On Nov 08, 2016
Update on Phase B

By God's Phase B was completed today evening.

Seeds planted: 388 as at this evening

Picture is attached.

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by aboutbiz: 10:48pm On Nov 08, 2016
Mr. Eluja Farm Thank you so much for this
i will keep on following this thread and make something great from it
Thank you so much sir

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by olaide68(m): 5:51pm On Nov 09, 2016
[color=#000000][/color]
Ejulafarm:
Update on Phase B

Picture is attached.
Thanks for your enlightments on this aspect of farming.Sir,I want to ask the following questions.How long can I keep the seeds after draying?Can I use liquid insectiside and powder fungicide to preserve the seed?How can one identify healthy Ugwu pod that may have good seeds?thanks

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by SUPERPACK: 8:56am On Nov 10, 2016
Ejulafarm:
Update on Phase B

Picture is attached.

pls how many hours did u sun dry ur seeds, how did u place them while planting and how deep. pls rply.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by loneytunes(m): 10:35am On Nov 10, 2016
Ejulafarm:
Update on Phase B

Picture is attached.

Good job sir! Since you are based in Ogun close to Lagos can we network? My farm is based in Epe. Burnt the bush yesterday & will start ridges before weekend. Seeds already available but need more.

You can reach me on loneytunez80@gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing from you while I keep following your thread.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 8:14pm On Nov 10, 2016
Juliana7:
@ejulafarms, thanks for dis thread,i will be following dis thread bumper to bumper. Keep it up sir. I am learning a lot from u, i'm ur e- student lol. Thanks

Glad you are learning a lot. I will keep on dishing out the best I have.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 8:20pm On Nov 10, 2016
SUPERPACK:
pls how many hours did u sun dry ur seeds, how did u place them while planting and how deep. pls rply.

You basically sun dry To discourage fungi growth.
To break seed dormancy (check first page)
To preserve the seed so you can plant at a later time.

How long?

I know it is completely dry when I see little or no moist or fungi on the seed. Usually on a sunny day, I dry it for 2 consecutive days and achieve my result.

Please I usually have in mind to plant this seed in a space of 4-10 days after drying.

EJULA Farm
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ugole2013(m): 8:24pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ejulafarm:

Ok. I will let you know as soon as I need some which is by the corner. But I have to come to see the farm or leaves that beget the said seeds. I will foot my bill of coming down where you are. If you are okay with this, then we have a deal. And pricing would be a huge factor since I need many.

EJULA Farm

These are pictures of my new farms

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 8:25pm On Nov 10, 2016
@ olaide68,

You can use recommended fungicide. Since I do organic, I don't really know which to recommend. I prefer to dry the seed (this reduce the rate of fungi attack) and plant as soon as I can.

This have worked for me. But it is also a good thing to preserve one's seed while it is in the soil.

If I see proven and recommended insecticides and fungicide, I will post it here.

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ugole2013(m): 8:27pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ejulafarm:

EJULA Farm

These are pictures of my old farms

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 8:28pm On Nov 10, 2016
loneytunes:

Good job sir! Since you are based in Ogun close to Lagos can we network? My farm is based in Epe. Burnt the bush yesterday & will start ridges before weekend. Seeds already available but need more.

You can reach me on loneytunez80@gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing from you while I keep following your thread.

Sure. The power of networking can not be over emphasized.

My email is in my signature...

Are doing ridges because it is a water logged area or for effective weeding?
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 8:30pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ugole2013:

These are pictures of my old farms

I like what I see. Where are u located?... And is it calabar, portharcourt or igbo seed? or the mixture?
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ugole2013(m): 8:32pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ejulafarm:

EJULA Farm

Seeds and bunches ready for sale

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 8:33pm On Nov 10, 2016
I completed Phase C yesterday by God's grace.

The germination rate of Phase A have been so impressive also.

I will update with pictures of Phase C by tomorrow, God willing.

Total seed planted for phase C is 430.

EJULA FARM

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 8:36pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ugole2013:

Seeds and bunches ready for sale

Good Quantity. Prefer bunches smiley . Let me finish my planting this week (Remaining about 800 to plant) . I will place a call to you.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ugole2013(m): 8:41pm On Nov 10, 2016
olaide68:
[color=#000000][/color]how do you sell?At what prise.I am in need.

The biggest size is #1500 a bunch
The medium size is #1400 a bunch
The smallest is #1200 a bunch. If you want to buy already processed seeds, it's #35000 a pale of paint (that is 20litres).
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ugole2013(m): 8:56pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ejulafarm:

I like what I see. Where are u located?... And is it calabar, portharcourt or igbo seed? or the mixture?

I'm in uyo, Akwa Ibom state. These are new improved seeds that doesn't need bamboo tree before bearing fruits. You only pollinate it and leave it to grow on the ground. You can see it on the pictures from my old farms.

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ugole2013(m): 9:01pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ejulafarm:

Good Quantity. Prefer bunches smiley . Let me finish my planting this week (Remaining about 800 to plant) . I will place a call to you.

My number is 08064474072. You can WhatsApp me on 08026525310.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by olaide68(m): 9:44pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ugole2013:

The biggest size is #1500 a bunch
The medium size is #1400 a bunch
The smallest is #1200 a bunch. If you want to buy already processed seeds, it's #35000 a pale of paint (that is 20litres).
How long can the proxessed seeds could be kept?Like how many seeds can one get in a 20litres paint burket?Can you sell 4litres paint burket?How much?thnks
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ugole2013(m): 7:51am On Nov 11, 2016
olaide68:
How long can the proxessed seeds could be kept?Like how many seeds can one get in a 20litres paint burket?Can you sell 4litres paint burket?How much?thnks

It can be kept for one week in a cool dry place. 4litres pale is #9000
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ugole2013(m): 7:56am On Nov 11, 2016
olaide68:

It can be kept for one week in a cool dry place. 4litres pale is #9000. It is not a local seed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Muhammadu Sarki Builds Tomato Paste Factory In Katsina / Ajifa Rice Processed In Idah Kogi, State (Pictures & Price) / The 2nd Most Prolific Animals!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.