Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:29 PM

How To Identify Fake Naira Notes - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Identify Fake Naira Notes (40096 Views)

CBN Clean Note Policy: Mutilated Naira Notes May Be Useless After September 2 / 5 Ways To Identify Fake Currency Notes / How I Was Duped With Fake Naira Currency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by Smoke2015: 11:02am On Nov 03, 2016
Con men cannot produce a real naira note. That's a fact. Even if they can, they can't produce real note without bloating overhead cost. In view of this, there is always obvious differences between a real naira note and it's counterfeit. These differences are not hidden; they are there only if you look well enough, even for an untrained eye. You should also avail yourself of the fact that the use of counterfeits is punishable under the Nigerian constitution whether you're aware or note because "ignorance is not an excuse in the court of law".

Taking advantage of the marked differences between real and counterfeit naira notes, I'm going to list ways you can identity counterfeits.

1. Through Mercury Bulbs

In the real paper naira notes (₦100, ₦200, ₦500, ₦1000), they are some texts that are not visible to the naked eye; they are only visible through the rays from a mercury bulb. So, to verify the authenticity of a naira note, bring the said note in contact with rays from a mercury bulb. If it's real, you'll see a greenish-yellow glow of the note's denomination across it. For example if it's a ₦1000 note, you'll see a glowing 1000 (in numbers) written across the note and smaller 1000 written on specific spots on it. The same goes for other paper denominations.

If the money is in a stack or bundle and you want to test for counterfeits, arrange the monies (it should be the same denomination all-through) properly (i.e. the front of each note in the bundle in contact with the back of the next note and top to top and bottom to bottom) and subject a side of it to rays from the mercury lamp, the greenish-yellow glow should be visible on the first and last note in the bundle if no counterfeit(s) is hiding in it. In either the single note and the bundle (if properly arranged), absence of this greenish-yellow glow means the note or a note in the bundle is fake.

Sorry, I couldn't get you the picture but the glow is very visible. Make sure to switch-off other light sources so as not to hamper the result. While mercury bulb is available at shops where electrical materials are sold, this method is preferable for business owners or people who handle bulk cash.

2. Through Water Or Other Liquids

The colours used in printing counterfeits are soluble in water and some other liquids while that of real money is not. Wet the suspected money or a part of it with water or any other liquid—I have only tried water and petrol—and scrub the wet part with your thumb. Counterfeits will wash-off their colours as you do this but real will not. Do you notice the way the colours of an artwork painted with water-colours wash-off when water touches it? That's the kind of wash-off I mean.

3. Through The Ribbons

On every paper money on the naira is a thin silvery ribbon running from the top to the bottom of the note; it's roppy on old notes.

In real note, you can feel and even pull-out this ribbon on some old notes.
However, in counterfeits, there's something that looks like a ribbon but it's not—just paint. Try scratching that ribbon, it come off like the silver panel on a recharge card.

4. Paper And Colour Quality

While counterfeits are made of ordinary papers, real money is made of a special kind of paper. Fealing the paper-quality of counterfeits, you'll find out that it's just like that of paper found on the street.
The colours of counterfeits also betrays it. The drawings on counterfeits are more blurry, blotchy and sometimes more darker than real paper money.

Of the four methods listed above, the first, second and third is more reliable.

Comments are welcome.
http://mojidelano.com/2016/11/how-to-identify-fake-naira-notes/

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by afanide: 11:30am On Nov 03, 2016
Great.....
Topics like these should make front page.....

8 Likes

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by Benjom(m): 11:34am On Nov 03, 2016
Nice... At least I know of the 'mercury bulb method'
Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by Turks: 2:42pm On Nov 03, 2016
Just use the good ol' method

*Squeeze the note

*If e rise, na fake

*If e no rise, na original

grin

26 Likes

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 03, 2016
What's the difference between Fake and Real Naira notes? They are practically worthless to me...Thanks Buhari.

7 Likes

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 03, 2016
grin grin grin grin

I wonder how they do it in Zimbabwe?
Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by souljaboi51(m): 2:44pm On Nov 03, 2016
loads of the people who spend fake notes do so at night (mum has been a victim) besides how many people wan dey get mercury bulb? there is no light grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by tintingz(m): 2:44pm On Nov 03, 2016
In addition:

# In N1000 notes there is a shiny green rectangle shape, if it is not shiny, the note is fake.

# Feeling the notes : Real notes are not always that smooth, fake money does.

# There are some images, text(CBN) that can't be seen with your naked eyes, just place the money on a light ray and look for the images and CBN text. And also note that many fake monies does have images but the drawing is poor and sketchy.

8 Likes

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by Lagusta(m): 2:46pm On Nov 03, 2016
I once opened a thread like this and it didn't reach front page....

Nairaland could be biased at times.....

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by LUV1: 2:46pm On Nov 03, 2016
Except one is born again he can not see thee kingdom of God

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by abatisegun: 2:46pm On Nov 03, 2016
Let m check if am not holding fake money

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by OkwuruOKARISIA(m): 2:46pm On Nov 03, 2016
hi like this!
Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by rabex123(m): 2:46pm On Nov 03, 2016
OK oh..
But what about if you don't even have money not to talk of checking fake ones..
Good info to those who have sha

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by Deeypeey(m): 2:46pm On Nov 03, 2016
If dem spend am for me before I con identify am…..abeg wetin I go do?..go throway am abi?...
Na to just pass it to the next unlucky person oo

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by OkwuruOKARISIA(m): 2:48pm On Nov 03, 2016
what of through squeezing?..... this has been the method
Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by Vaxt(m): 2:48pm On Nov 03, 2016
Central bank self na fake all money na fake
Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by oluFELAxy(m): 2:48pm On Nov 03, 2016
I don't think Nigerians want to recognize fake money in this recession period.
Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by S2kluv: 2:48pm On Nov 03, 2016
Turks:
Just usw the good ol' method

*Squeeze the note

*If e rise, na fake

*If e no rise, na original

grin
I don catch u 2day

Na ur type dey abuse Naira since

4 Likes

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by dashing123: 2:49pm On Nov 03, 2016
Hmmm
Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by merits(m): 2:51pm On Nov 03, 2016
I wil know by squeesing it na.
Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by uwagimboo: 2:52pm On Nov 03, 2016
Any banker around 2012/2013 will know that these guyz perfected the 1000 naira notes that the UV light was a learner but there mistake was around those 2 useless head we ve on that note...

When fake mints re mixed with mint original, u need the extra eye to find out..

Identifying a well produced fake note when that denomination is newly introduced is like a husband identifying the wife's pussy was not in the same condition he left it last night..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by yinkslinks(m): 2:53pm On Nov 03, 2016
So we should walk about with mecury bulb and water? thanks op grin grin grin grin grin grin
Smoke2015:

Comments are welcome.
http://mojidelano.com/2016/11/how-to-identify-fake-naira-notes/

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by Chuknovski(m): 2:53pm On Nov 03, 2016
Economy don make people dey issue fake notes....bubu u try sha undecided

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by Turks: 2:55pm On Nov 03, 2016
My type no mwan say na me wink
S2kluv:
I don catch u 2day

Na ur kind dey abuse Naira since

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by shakablaiize(m): 2:56pm On Nov 03, 2016
i don go soak my last 1k for water ....lai lai i must use am like that... it's better ignorant of it than using it with heavy guilt on your mind
Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by snazzy5050(m): 3:01pm On Nov 03, 2016
not as informative as this!!
Lagusta:
I once opened a thread like this and it didn't reach front page....

Nairaland could be biased at times.....
Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by Collins0609(m): 3:03pm On Nov 03, 2016
Sexy and true piece
Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by rezzy: 3:06pm On Nov 03, 2016
Ff
Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by Scatterscatter(m): 3:10pm On Nov 03, 2016
Oga just raise the money up and look for Awolowo's head, shikena!
Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by omoadeleye(m): 3:16pm On Nov 03, 2016
What about how to Identify used cucumber ?

3 Likes

Re: How To Identify Fake Naira Notes by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 03, 2016
like teaching me how to spot my mother land genuine currency, is like teaching me how to speak my own mother land language.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Naira Exchange Rates Today / "5k Is Not Small Money In This Buhari Weather"- Angry First Bank Customer / Diamond Bank: Birthed By The Father Buried By The Son - Mazi Obioma Ezenwobodo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.