Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,870 members, 7,802,802 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing (19010 Views)

Renting A House? 5 Things To Consider / Cost Of Renting A 1 Bedroom Apartment In Abuja | Co-tenant / Cost Of Renting A 1 Bedroom Apartment In Lagos | Co-tenant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 2:09pm On Nov 03, 2016
[size=14pt]What is comfortable housing?[/size]

Lets pick our definition from the dictionary: 'That which shelters or covers' while comfort summarily is a 'state of quiet enjoyment'

Since this is not an English class (who would attempt teaching a 'guru' like you English anyway.... lol) lets give the major factors we consider necessary in choosing a comfortable housing.

1. LOCATION: The location of your house is important; as important as the kitchen is to the woman. By location we're referring to the street or as far as the local government area you plan to live in. 'Class' of people around you and their level of exposure must be similar to yours. A kid who grew up in the 'big' city suburb would find it difficult relocating as an adult to the slum areas. (No disrespect to this areas).

2. TYPE/SIZE OF HOUSING: Now that we have our location sorted out, what type of house are you trying to acquire / rent? You can argue that any 'big' house should do, once you can afford it, however if its important to factor in the size of your family. A bachelor who has no plan of marrying in years time but rents a 3 bedroom flat cannot be said to have a comfortable house, comfort is not sleeping in multiple rooms but a balance between what you get and what you eventually pay for it. Our aim here is to decide on a particular type of housing e.g 2 bedroom flat, duplex or a mini flat.

3. INTERNAL SPACES: It is common to find say 2-bedroom flats with rooms as small as say 2.1m by 2.4m, this bedroom space would hardly contain a standard 6 ft by 6ft bed, in such cases the purpose of acquiring a 2-bedroom flat has been forfeited as there would hardly be enough space for wardrobes and other stuffs intended for the bedroom. It is also important to ensure the rooms are well lit, ventilated and well spaced from adjoining properties. You would agree that our exercise in No2 is defeated if the internal spaces are far below standards obtainable.

4. COST: The last on our list is cost, how much am I paying for the house / space? The price paid should be relative to the value given, a duplex belonging to Mr A with standard rooms and decent finishing should cost more than an adjoining property belonging to Mr B on the same street with 'normal' finishing or less standard rooms and vice versa. It is possible to find to find Mr B price his property in-line with Mr A's cost; in such situation the house cannot be said to be comfortable 100% even when the that cost difference is overlooked.

Share your idea of a comfortable house with us using the comment box..
Culled from www.palmchatnow.com

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Thepasserby(m): 2:14pm On Nov 03, 2016
Yeah, I also think provision of social amenities should be a factor to consider.

7 Likes

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Teewhy2: 4:09pm On Nov 03, 2016
Something not too big or small but that can be easily maintained even where someone is old. A comfortable house also depends on the stage of life of someone

4 Likes

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Teewhy2: 9:30am On Nov 10, 2016
I noticed some old big houses in Ikea gra, that the owners are old and can't maintain it. Some try to sell it but they always fInd it had to sell especially in this recession period. Na only politicians and enterainers I know that finds big houses comfortable for them, because of the way they make money, but at the long run most can't maintain it.
Na lawyer fit talk more on this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 10:23am On Nov 10, 2016
Teewhy2:
I noticed some old big houses in Ikea gra, that the owners are old and can't maintain it. Some try to sell it but they always fInd it had to sell especially in this recession period. Na only politicians and enterainers I know that finds big houses comfortable for them, because of the way they make money, but at the long run most can't maintain it.
Na lawyer fit talk more on this.

you've spoken well, its important to build according to your size. thanks

2 Likes

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 6:39am On Nov 11, 2016
Well, I think first thing first, the town is important. For those living in urban areas like Lagos and other big cities, they can consider the above. But for some living in sub urban regions and downright rural areas, finding a modern built house is paramount.
I had an experince while searching for house in Bida, Niger State. My dear, these guys aren't up to date with reality

4 Likes

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by beautiful232(f): 6:41am On Nov 11, 2016
I think a small house with good maintenance is better than a big house with no good maintenance

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by wildchild1: 6:43am On Nov 11, 2016
Location is the most important factor to me

Check my signature
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by madridguy(m): 6:44am On Nov 11, 2016
Nice write up.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by ikeonyeka(f): 6:45am On Nov 11, 2016
Power supply is an important factor to consider.

3 Likes

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Henrygreat212(m): 6:47am On Nov 11, 2016
The road network....Security , etc...

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by jaheymezz(m): 6:48am On Nov 11, 2016
I think this thread is for dem boys coming back home from the states!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by paulo220(m): 6:49am On Nov 11, 2016
Road should also be another factor to consider..
Adequate power supply should also be considered....

3 Likes

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 6:49am On Nov 11, 2016
beautiful232:
I think a small house with good maintenance is better than a big house with no good maintenance
It goes without saying, that is simple algebra grin
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by eezeribe(m): 6:49am On Nov 11, 2016
Meaningless
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by perfectwazobia1: 6:52am On Nov 11, 2016
If you have the money build a big and well furnished house and enjoy it with your children ,that automatically gives them a choice for good taste later in life.

When the couples are aged they can build a good 2bedroom bungalow and enjoy it for the rest of their life. Unless you always have stream of visitors regularly that's when you can keep a big house even at old age.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Dsrooftiles: 6:59am On Nov 11, 2016
Ok

Current Price of Roofing Sheet in Nigeria.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3364135/roofing-sheets-cost-various-types

See Samples of Roofing Tiles.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3357472/collection-sample-stone-coated-roofing
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by shark003: 6:59am On Nov 11, 2016
Check out the facilities in the house,

Most especially the power holding bill, it might be frustrating seeing some accumulated figures which ain't explainable.

Wash hand basin and water closet... just to avoid additional expenses in calling plumber to change it

# shineyoureyes#

4 Likes

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 7:05am On Nov 11, 2016
@ saydfact,

In terms of location, I'm looking at building a house in Ogun state. Although, I work in Lagos, but I believe I'll get more value for my money in Ogun state compared to Lagos. A plot of land in a typical Lagos mainland is hovering around 20 million. With this same amount, I can build a super structure in Ogun state.

Must the location where one choose to build a house have to be in proximity to where one works?

Please advise. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Batlan01: 7:07am On Nov 11, 2016
ok
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by lawsbanks: 7:10am On Nov 11, 2016
Check the 3G or 4Gnetwork in d area... If u land where there is only 2G or no network at all...... U will put this in consideration next time. I'm a victim actually.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Thepasserby(m): 7:14am On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:
@ saydfact,

In terms of location, I'm looking at building a house in Ogun state. Although, I work in Lagos, but I believe I'll get more value for my money in Ogun state compared to Lagos. A plot of land in a typical Lagos mainland is hovering around 20 million. With this same amount, I can build a super structure in Ogun state.

Must the location where one choose to build a house have to be in proximity to where one works?

Please advise. Thanks

I don't think so but it should be where you can get value for your money.

2 Likes

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by ojay72(m): 7:16am On Nov 11, 2016
MOST IMPORTANT IS....

NETWORK.

IMAGINE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING ABOVE BUT CAN ONLY GO TO THE ROOF FOR BROWSING AND PHONE CALLS.

KOLEWERK ABEG.

NO NETWORK?... OGA LANDLORD CHOP YOUR HOUSE O.

2 Likes

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 7:17am On Nov 11, 2016
Thepasserby:

I don't think so but it should be where you can get value for your money.
Thanks.
I was just wondering if it makes sense building a house in Ogun while still paying rent in the tune of #700k here in Lagos.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by dangotesmummy: 7:18am On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:
@ saydfact,

Please advise. Thanks
its a two way thing. The issue is that if you buying land in Lagos and build a house in it you will still spend on transportation however at a reduced cost compared to living in ogun.fine you're right about ogun being relatively cheaper but it won't be cheaper at the long run when you have to be shuttling from ogun to Lagos every day of the week.do you know how much that will cost in a week or a month?

You and I know we live in an unpredictable society. Today there's fuel tomorrow there's fuel scarcity. How do you want to cope?traffic on ibafo redeem camp area nko?

The bottonline is you will spend more living in ogun on transportation and at the end of the day you'll see it's not worth it

3 Likes

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Thepasserby(m): 7:20am On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:

Thanks.
I was just wondering if it makes sense building a house in Ogun while still paying rent in the tune of #700k here in Lagos.

Mehn I will disagree. 700K is a whole lot of cash. Just count your cost and see What's the most important thing. Everything in life comes with a sacrifice
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 7:20am On Nov 11, 2016
There is hardly a village or location with network access.. If one provider isn't there, another would.. But yes, it's a factor except it's a solved one in Nigeria today
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Tunmmyzhe: 7:21am On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:
@ saydfact,

Please advise. Thanks

we build in Ogun..ijoko precisely, and me and my hubby work in Lagos

The area is OK with at least 10hours electricity daily

is gud to be in ones house bro.

we spent like 4 million on the 2 bedroom flat and its easy to maintain.

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Niyinficient(m): 7:23am On Nov 11, 2016
Please i need a room sef con accommodation around ogudu, estate, iyana-oworo side asap. Any help is appreciated.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 7:23am On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:

Thanks.

700k is high, but depending on your income level thou. However if u can pay that high then u can afford a decent accommodation built somewhere decent too..
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by MilesLamar(m): 7:24am On Nov 11, 2016
Nice one
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by sakalisis(m): 7:26am On Nov 11, 2016
grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

4 Bedroom Duplex At Agege Lagos State,design & constructed by archaran / Fire Consumes Part Of Newly Built Block Of Flats In East London (Photos) / Residential Building On Fire In Ojota Area Of Lagos - Pictured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.