Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,904 members, 7,802,931 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:58 AM

The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us (45564 Views)

Nigerian Student In UK Drowns In Canada While On School Trip (Photos) / Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) / Nigerian Student's In Philipines, How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by wazobiann: 11:11am On Mar 31, 2011
topwise, thanx
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by SHOOLAH: 11:13am On Mar 31, 2011
How possible is it to go to the US with an F-1 visa and decide to do some menial job to survive and save some token just so as to be able to establish a small buisiness back home after like two years of stay, instead of enrolling to the school. Will that person be allowed to work legally or illegally. . . .

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by wazobiann: 11:14am On Mar 31, 2011
topwise, thanx
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by SHOOLAH: 11:15am On Mar 31, 2011
What i meant is '' Can you decide to abandone the admission and start a menial job on getting the US''
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 12:30pm On Mar 31, 2011
wazobiann:

topwise, thanx

No worries
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by MOM1(m): 2:24pm On Mar 31, 2011
@ norrisman,i feel you mehn, American aint easy neither is it easy in Nigeria or anywhere else and many people who move out of nigeria find the student visa as the easiest way out, Nobody wanna suffer or do ish that they aint prepared for but America is worth the pain,task and love, Just imagine starting your youthful life out here and having your kids here, Definitely those kids are made by God's grace, IF YOU WANNA COME AMERICA IS BIG ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE JUST BE PREPARED BECAUSE WE AS AFRICANS WE GOT A LOT TO DO AND IN MOST CASES OUT HERE WE START FROM THE SCRATCH BECAUSE WHAT WE CALL EDUCATION OUT THERE IS GOOD BUT NOT BETTER THAN WHAT IT IS OUT HERE, AMERICA IS WAITING ON Y'ALL IF YOU WANNA COME, THERE IS ALWAYS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL FOR PEOPLE WHO GOT THE RIGHT STATE OF MIND, ABEGI

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by comechop(m): 2:27pm On Mar 31, 2011
SHOOLAH:

How possible is it to go to the US with an F-1 visa and decide to do some menial job to survive and save some token just so as to be able to establish a small buisiness back home after like two years of stay, instead of enrolling to the school. Will that person be allowed to work legally or illegally. . . .

no cant do, legally at least. the system is clamping down even harder these days.

With an F1 - your work hours and choices are EXTREMELY limited - trust me, whatever peanuts you're making wont be enough for just YOU to survive on, talk less of opening up a biz back home in 2 years.

And an F1 visa is specifically to go to school - if you're not in school, you're there illegally.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by MOM1(m): 2:32pm On Mar 31, 2011
@ SHOOLAH, HOW CAN YOU BE IN THE USA FOR 2YRS AND START THINKING OF OPENING A BIZNESS IN NIGERIA? IT TAKES AWHILE BEFORE YOU CAN DO THINGS LIKE THAT, EVEN IN NIGERIA CAN THAT HAPPEN WHEN YOU LIVE LEGALLY,
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 2:42pm On Mar 31, 2011
@poster u are 100% right. It is not easy abroad as a foreign student more especially when you have to foot you bills yourself. I still believe that if what you actually had in mind before leaving Naija is to come and school not to use school as a front you won't feel bad about the whole thing. I had my first degree in Naija, worked before shipping out for my master. But it is still not easy, the truth is that despite the hard times I am glad I left, the education I am receiving is worth every stress and hardship that came with it. If you would be fair enough to rule out the hard times you had you will acknowledge that the education in U.S is worth it. I must confess I have a friend who is in Naija right now doing the same program I am doing out here and I can tell you that their syllabus is no where near what we have got. If only I had schooled abroad before working in Naija the first time it would have been a different experience coz by now maybe I would have set up my own firm. The bottom line is that schooling oversees could be very very challenging, if you are in for the education bros it is worth it. After all there is price to pay for everything.

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by benlay(m): 3:10pm On Mar 31, 2011
@ Beowulf, pls hit me up on ayobami625@yahoo.com.
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by SHOOLAH: 3:27pm On Mar 31, 2011
M.O.M:

@ SHOOLAH, HOW CAN YOU BE IN THE USA FOR 2YRS AND START THINKING OF OPENING A BIZNESS IN NIGERIA? IT TAKES AWHILE BEFORE YOU CAN DO THINGS LIKE THAT, EVEN IN NIGERIA CAN THAT HAPPEN WHEN YOU LIVE LEGALLY,

Noted

comechop:

no cant do, legally at least. the system is clamping down even harder these days.

With an F1 - your work hours and choices are EXTREMELY limited - trust me, whatever peanuts you're making wont be enough for just YOU to survive on, talk less of opening up a biz back home in 2 years.

And an F1 visa is specifically to go to school - if you're not in school, you're there illegally.

Okay. The truth is that; I have been granted the F-1 VISA and am in the process of applying for a two years study leave in my place of work, just to taste the other side of the world. what advice do u have for me ?
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by MOM1(m): 3:41pm On Mar 31, 2011
@ SHOOLAH, Now i feel you just be prepared for anything you come across, Families disappoint out here aswell as friends, But every humna on earth got his/her own Angel walking with them, Atleast you got a job in 9ja and you smart to ask for a study leave, If you find the struggle here to hard you can always go back to your job but i tell you, it like a journey and if you keep looking back you get distracted, Congrats mehn, Welcome to the land of opportunities,like my friend always say out here,there is free money in America but you just have to look for it, INFORMATION IS IMPORTANT IN LIFE
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by VPersiee: 3:44pm On Mar 31, 2011
@those who asked

My email is iandexter007@yahoo.com
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by SHOOLAH: 4:15pm On Mar 31, 2011
M.O.M:

@ SHOOLAH, Now i feel you just be prepared for anything you come across, Families disappoint out here aswell as friends, But every humna on earth got his/her own Angel walking with them, Atleast you got a job in 9ja and you smart to ask for a study leave, If you find the struggle here to hard you can always go back to your job but i tell you, it like a journey and if you keep looking back you get distracted, Congrats mehn, Welcome to the land of opportunities,like my friend always say out here,there is free money in America but you just have to look for it, INFORMATION IS IMPORTANT IN LIFE

Thanks a million . . . a word is enough for the wise . . . !
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by mikeapollo: 4:21pm On Mar 31, 2011
There is something missing here, I am yet to see any analysis/opinion on what happens after successfully completing your studies in Europe/US/Canada with good grades.
Do people make good grades in Undergraduate, Postgraduate or PhD and still go about without jobs for months, years and ages after securing a permit, no matter how difficult it could be to get one?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by DisGuy: 4:42pm On Mar 31, 2011
mikeapollo:

There is something missing here, I am yet to see any analysis/opinion on what happens after successfully completing your studies in Europe/US/Canada with good grades.
Do people make good grades in Undergraduate, Postgraduate or PhD and still go about without jobs for months, years and ages after securing a permit, no matter how difficult it could be to get one?

yes most especially now there is a recession, though most with have to make do with other job sectors or make do with any job usually unskilled or 'below' their qualification/experience

not as worse as it was back in the early 2000s, very competitive esp in Europe

ps there's more emphasis on your experience/competency than your grade
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by anfanio: 5:17pm On Mar 31, 2011
mikeapollo,
Nothing is guaranteed.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Beowulf(m): 6:10pm On Mar 31, 2011
@norrisman: I see no need for you to brand me a "loser". I just related my story and if you do not agree with me then civilly put your point across. If you read my post I took time to apologise to people like you who may be offended by my story. Do not say anything about anybody unless you walk in their shoes. I came up hard in life and I still have a long way to go but it has been a worthwhile journey. I have made very dumb decisions in my life which I was not proud of but they have been in the minority so far. Yes, I had a job in Nigeria and worked for three years before coming here. Being admitted to an Ivy league school here was once in a lifetime opportunity for me. At least the school did not see me as a loser before admitting me. I even said in my post that what I did was borne out of folly! Thank you.

@Drossy: I am in New York @ Columbia. I am doing okay now. Things are looking up. My email is nwa.ikenga@yahoo.com

Genius100: That is the plan. I already worked for 3 years in my field back home before coming here. What I have learned so far has real practical applications because of my work experience.

Inkednerd: Am at Columbia. Thanks for your kind words.

Hermosa: I agree with you. The buck stopped at my table. Though I had some relations that promised to co-sign a tuition loan and all that. It is all in the past now. I take all the blame and that is why I am advising others to look before they leap. The danger is that when people like us are out of the woods and finally make it, some people will look at us and want to take the kind of silly risk that we took not knowing that destiny can be very different.

Vpersiee: You are right. I will mail you

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by InkedNerd(f): 6:33pm On Mar 31, 2011
Beowulf:

Inkednerd: Am at Columbia. Thanks for your kind words.

No problem. I had a feeling you might say you were a Columbia student. I have some friends that to go to school there. Do you live off or on campus?
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Beowulf(m): 6:52pm On Mar 31, 2011
@inknerd: Yea I stay off campus. It is much cheaper than University Housing
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by InkedNerd(f): 7:23pm On Mar 31, 2011
Beowulf:

@inknerd: Yea I stay off campus. It is much cheaper than University Housing

Yeah. Living on campus can be very costly. Do you live around Morningside Heights?

Sorry, I hope I'm not asking too many questions embarassed
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Beowulf(m): 7:39pm On Mar 31, 2011
@inkednerd: lol! You want to track me right cheesy No wahala. You are not asking 2 many questions. Actually I stay off Broadway close 2 d 1 train around Morning Heights. You can send me an email at nwa.ikenga@yahoo.com. Noticed you are from 042. Same here.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Araboy(m): 8:07pm On Mar 31, 2011
@Beowulf
I felt so touched by your story and I m glad your situation is getting 
better I am not sure if you still intersted in having a part time  job
With more hours let me know I might be able to help Good luck
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Beowulf(m): 8:18pm On Mar 31, 2011
Gee Araboy! Thanks. You can send me an email. my address is already on the thread. I appreciate
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 8:55pm On Mar 31, 2011
@ lioness

can we talk? am interested in the poultry milling business. i need some information please. my email add is tinu62000@yahoo.com
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by InkedNerd(f): 11:23pm On Mar 31, 2011
Beowulf:

@inkednerd: lol! You want to track me right  cheesy No wahala. You are not asking 2 many questions. Actually I stay off Broadway close 2 d 1 train around Morning Heights. You can send me an email at nwa.ikenga@yahoo.com. Noticed you are from 042. Same here.

lol lol sorry o!! I didn't mean to sound like a stalker. Please forgive me. Gee, I feel so silly now  embarassed. Its just that I don't come across too many Nigerian students here in New York [unless they are the children of my parent's friends]. Majority of the African people [both friends and non-friends] I know in New York are non-Nigerians.

Ok, I'll send you an e-mail tonight wink

And yes, I am from 042. That's my hometown [woop woop] grin
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by stmarc32(m): 4:32am On Apr 01, 2011
Good post but thing is that we travel to these countries believeing everything will be easy, the best advise is if u know u want to work and live comfortably in any foreign country, STUDY WHAT THEY NEED, carry out a detailed research into what professional skills they lack in that country, Simple, I made the same mistake when i got here thinking Oh Business business, Truth of the matter is most companies in foreign countries prefer to employ their fellow countrymen, so best thing is study what they want there, earn some cash then study what u personally want in the future, nothing wrong in having 2degrees,
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by fstranger3(m): 5:09am On Apr 01, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

lol lol sorry o!! I didn't mean to sound like a stalker. Please forgive me. Gee, I feel so silly now  embarassed. Its just that I don't come across too many Nigerian students here in New York [unless they are the children of my parent's friends]. Majority of the African people [both friends and non-friends] I know in New York are non-Nigerians.

Ok, I'll send you an e-mail tonight wink

And yes, I am from 042. That's my hometown [woop woop] grin

Inky Inky inkyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by cold(m): 7:18am On Apr 01, 2011
Do not,i repeat,do not leave Naija with half ur tuition fee hopin to make up the rest whilst workin & schoolin. Might just be the greatest mistake you'll ever make in your life. Nuff said
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by InkedNerd(f): 7:34am On Apr 01, 2011
fstranger3:

Inky Inky inkyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

MYOB tongue tongue tongue
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by DisGuy: 7:44am On Apr 01, 2011
blushing online caught red faced handed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Truck Crushes Nissan Bus, Toyota Sienna & Keke At Upper Iweka, Onitsha (Pics) / Residents Loot Noodles From An Accident Scene In Omotosho, Ondo State (Video) / Lagos Road Sweeper Killed On Duty (Disturbing Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.