Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,561 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:28 PM

D - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / D (1249 Views)

Revival Tonic Daily Devotional : Anointing Versus Skills / US Embassy Reacts To Bishop Oyedepo Visa Denial Report. Says It's Fake News / Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

D by Nobody: 1:20pm On Nov 07, 2016
"

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: D by LiberaDeus: 4:06pm On Nov 07, 2016
Lennycool:
Hell is real

The above has become something of a mantra in most Christian circles.

Hell. The personal torture chamber of an all loving God.

Hell though being a New testament Invention is one of the most efficient tools used by Christianity to subjugate its followers.

The message is clear
Accept Jesus as your lord and saviour or burn forever in unquenchable fire.

Hell is nothing more than psychological bullying to force people into Christianity.
And it works, the fear of hell is so strong that when properly impacted and received no sane human would not accept Jesus Christ even a follower of another religion will start to have doubts.

But such fear cannot be maintained by the human mind and Christians slip into a steady state of denial of hell and its severity, its not forgetting hell per say its more like not maintain the fear, they push its prospect to the back of their mind and only think about it when it has been brought up extensively.

That is why during Christian programs when the fear of hell has been properly renewed and intensified in the mind of Christian, do we see people becoming born again and once again giving their life to Christ.
Not one of them thinks about the unstable logic behind an all loving God torturing his children forever. For transgressions committed in just one life time.
So effective is the fear that it even overrides logic.

But as I said before the mind cannot maintain this fear, as it serves the person no purpose. So a state of denial is necessary for a Christian to live a normal life.

The facts about hell are these and most Christian accept this
* Most of the Christians will go to hell
* Most of the people they love will go to hell
* Small transgressions will take you to hell

No one can truly have the fear of hell and not go mad

Imagine if you knew your best friend was going to burn forever in unquenchable fire. Wouldn't you do what ever you could to stop the person from going? And I'm not talking about preaching to the friend when its comfortable. If you were completely certain this person would suffer for eternity you would preach to the person always. Non stop until the friend repented and was no longer going to hell.

If you truly believed in hell, you would minimise human contact or cease it all together as they can lead you to hell. If you had a family you would probably move with them to an uninhabited location where it would be almost impossible to sin.
You would not have a radio or TV or mobile phone as all these can lead you to sin.
In fact any Christian that truly wanted to avoid hell would be by default Insane.

Most Christians erroneously state, when arguing with atheist, that they lose nothing by just believing in God. But the truth is that belief alone is not a criteria for heaven, odds are even if Yahweh is real the Christians
will still wind up in hell along side the atheists. As all sins are equal.

But the good news is that hell isn't real. As hard as it might be for the Christians to accept, I once wouldn't believe it myself, but it is the truth.

Hell is not real, it is simply a tool for control.

My brother from my interest in psychology I can honestly say that no existing Christian believes their stories up to 50%.
Not just hell, consider other aspects of Christian doctrines like the fact that the Pioneer of the universe lives in you and you can talk to him anytime but prayer is such a chore for them. Or even the fact that the so called creator wrote a book, reading the bible seems like the most uninspiring task for most of them.

Even the desire for an eternity and the champions and guardians of their institution[ pastors] live as if life on earth is the only thing ever, they strive to make their every moment flamboyant and expensive, they basically live lives like there is no heaven by acquiring all the wealth possible for themselves and striving to enjoy it.
Compare the lives of world billionaires like bill gates, zuckerberg, buffet to the lives of Pentecostal preachers. These preachers ain't even billionaires but they strive to milk every possible form of enjoyment from life including using all sorts of bodyguards, convoys, lodging in presidential suites of 5 star hotels and the like.

I think most freethinkers did not eventually stop believing but just moved their logical and natural unbelief in the ridiculous stories to the forefront of their conscious mind more like moving a card to the top of the stack. We freethinkers are just more honest. The psychological battle in Christendom involves villifying rational thought and reason when it exposes the fraud in religion, then the rational thinking is called a took of Satan, a work of the flesh while faith which is actually blind stupidity and credulity is glorified. Because of this mind games, religious people suppress logic to the bottom or subconscious mind.

But one can't cheat nature, even if they don't confess their unbelief and fight against reason, their actions motivations show what their mind actually accepts but they just have to suppress it and bring faith to the foreground esp when threatened with eternal torture. For them a risk they can't take.

But even with that, there are still the extremists that believe the load of crap to at least 30%. You can find them in the lowest rungs of the societal ladder, mostly uninformed, superstitious, inexposed folks. This group make up the bulk of ministries like The Lord's chosen, deeper life etc. But the average Christian can hardly swallow 15% of the horseshit in his religion. That's why they can't accept some biblical stories literally, they must find a way to rationalize or turn them into allegories.

Why is it easy for them to believe john 3:16 without batting an eyelid but when you show them Elishas infanticide in the OT, they squirm and wiggle round it cause deep down they know its morally horrendous for god to accept such nonsense.

The funny thing is that religion is like a living organism that can adapt to its immediate environments and can strategize to survive. Which modern day church will ever preach about genocide in the OT, or the painstaking voluminous 613 laws in Leviticus or even about avoiding marriage which is encouraged by Paul. Religion realizes society has evolved and it adapts to that to stay relevant.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: D by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 07, 2016
LiberaDeus:

My brother from my interest in psychology I can honestly say that no existing Christian believes their stories up to 50%.
Not just hell, consider other aspects of Christian doctrines like the fact that the Pioneer of the universe lives in you and you can talk to him anytime but prayer is such a chore for them. Or even the fact that the so called creator wrote a book, reading the bible seems like the most uninspiring task for most of them.
Even the desire for an eternity and the champions and guardians of their institution[ pastors] live as if life on earth is the only thing ever, they strive to make their every moment flamboyant and expensive, they basically live lives like there is no heaven by acquiring all the wealth possible for themselves and striving to enjoy it.
Compare the lives of world billionaires like bill gates, zuckerberg, buffet to the lives of Pentecostal preachers. These preachers ain't even billionaires but they strive to milk every possible form of enjoyment from life including using all sorts of bodyguards, convoys, lodging in presidential suites of 5 star hotels and the like.
I think most freethinkers did not eventually stop believing but just moved their logical and natural unbelief in the ridiculous stories to the forefront of their conscious mind more like moving a card to the top of the stack. We freethinkers are just more honest. The psychological battle in Christendom involves villifying rational thought and reason when it exposes the fraud in religion, then the rational thinking is called a took of Satan, a work of the flesh while faith which is actually blind stupidity and credulity is glorified. Because of this mind games, religious people suppress logic to the bottom or subconscious mind.
But one can't cheat nature, even if they don't confess their unbelief and fight against reason, their actions motivations show what their mind actually accepts but they just have to suppress it and bring faith to the foreground esp when threatened with eternal torture. For them a risk they can't take.
Nice one. The pastors are even the worse, how can someone believe this life is worth less than heaven. Yet own mansions and jets?
Even atheists such as mark zuckeberg and agnostics like bill gates and warren buffet have pledged to give more than 90% of their net worth to charity. This is billions of dollars we are talking about.
How many nigerian pastors have done this?
Yet Christians here will say atheist have no morals.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: D by jonbellion(m): 4:25pm On Nov 07, 2016
Lol don't forget Lennycool this is a God that is so egoistical so insecure that even if you so much as insult his alter-ego( the holy spirit) it is coined as the unforgivable sin

The summary of Christian salvation is basically
GOD: you are scum you are a worthless piece of sh*t basically what ever you think you do and think you are righteous is basically like horse sh*t before my eyes. You can't stand before me with your repulsive stench of iniquity no matter how good you have ever been or will ever be is not good enough. The only way you can even CONSIDER redemption is if you accept the human blood sacrifice I made for you 2000 years ago so you can receive salvation and if you do so much as lack a belief in it I will burn you for all eternity in a fire that the worms will eat your putrid flesh while the rest of your pathetic human race that accepted my ultimatum would continue to kiss my ass for all eternity cuz kissing my ass on earth was not enough
CHRISTIAN: *pause*.....sounds great! smiley smiley

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: D by LiberaDeus: 4:28pm On Nov 07, 2016
Lennycool:

Nice one. The pastors are even the worse, his can someone believe this life is worth less than heaven. Yet own mansions and jets?
Even atheist such as mark zuckeberg and agnostics like bill gates and warren buffet have pledged to give more than 90% of their net worth to charity. This is billions of dollars we are talking about.
How many nigerian pastor has done this?

That's true, religion is like planet earth, the farther an astronaut goes from earth the more beautiful and spherical it looks.

But in religion its the opposite. The farther I live religion the more horrendous I see it when I look back. Similar to leaving a smelly toilet, when you are in the toilet you can adjust to it but when you leave for a while and step back in the difference is clear.

The more you leave it, the more similar they appear and the less unique your former religion is, the more you leave religion the clearer your mind shall be towards the egotistical and megalomaniac nature of the leaders, the more you leave religion, the more you realize that your rational thinking was actually the good guy in that mental battle and blind faith was the prison warden.
I just look at religious people and laugh.

But one good thing about religion is that for now it's actually the most heartfelt honest expression of human stupidity, this makes it so funny to observe and really entertaining.
Few things are funnier than seeing end time nutjobs talk about how Jesus might come next year and the funny thing is that when it doesn't happen grin grin instead of the fools to keep quiet, they recalibrate their prediction tool which is stupidity and get another date.

Or just imagine that your gateman that goes to living faith that gives his 2k tithe and sows 500 naira seed every Sunday hoping to ride a jeep very soon.

Or imagine the fools blabbering rubbish repeatedly and claiming to be speaking a language, there is a Pentecostal pastor I know that has basically 6 phrases that he repeats every prayer time and he calls it tongues but the stupid congregants can't even ask questions to themselves.

Well this comedy can only be possible because the power of religion has been tamed in this era. Living in medieval Europe as a freethinkers won't have been fun

6 Likes

Re: D by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 07, 2016
jonbellion:
Lol don't forget Lennycool this is a God that is so egoistical so insecure that even if you so much as insult his alter-ego( the holy spirit) it is coined as the unforgivable sin

The summary of Christian salvation is basically
GOD: you are scum you are a worthless piece of sh*t basically what ever you think you do and think you are righteous is basically like horse sh*t before my eyes. You can't stand before me with your repulsive stench of iniquity no matter how good you have ever been or will ever be is not good enough. The only way you can even CONSIDER redemption is if you accept the human blood sacrifice I made for you 2000 years ago so you can receive salvation and if you do so much as lack a belief in it I will burn you for all eternity in a fire that the worms will eat your putrid flesh while the rest of your pathetic human race that accepted my ultimatum would continue to kiss my ass for all eternity cuz kissing my ass on earth was not enough
CHRISTIAN: *pause*.....sounds great! smiley smiley

grin And they say free thinkers have an inferiority complex and their lives have no purpose.
But it is them that will readily claim that they are nothing before God and that this physical world has no meaning.
grin
The hypocrisy is maddening
Re: D by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 07, 2016
LiberaDeus:

That's true, religion is like planet earth, the farther an astronaut goes from earth the more beautiful and spherical it looks.

But in religion its the opposite. The farther I live religion the more horrendous I see it when I look back. Similar to leaving a smelly toilet, when you are in the toilet you can adjust to it but when you leave for a while and step back in the difference is clear.

The more you leave it, the more similar they appear and the less unique your former religion is, the more you leave religion the clearer your mind shall be towards the egotistical and megalomaniac nature of the leaders, the more you leave religion, the more you realize that your rational thinking was actually the good guy in that mental battle and blind faith was the prison warden.
I just look at religious people and laugh.

But one good thing about religion is that for now it's actually the most heartfelt honest expression of human stupidity, this makes it so funny to observe and really entertaining.
Few things are funnier than seeing end time nutjobs talk about how Jesus might come next year and the funny thing is that when it doesn't happen grin grin instead of the fools to keep quiet, they recalibrate their prediction tool which is stupidity and get another date.

Or just imagine that your gateman that goes to living faith that gives his 2k tithe and sows 500 naira seed every Sunday hoping to ride a jeep very soon.

Or imagine the fools blabbering rubbish repeatedly and claiming to be speaking a language, there is a Pentecostal pastor I know that has basically 6 phrases that he repeats every prayer time and he calls it tongues but the stupid congregants can't even ask questions to themselves.

Well this comedy can only be possible because the power of religion has been tamed in this era. Living in medieval Europe as a freethinkers won't have been fun
Free thinkers in medieval Europe were burned at the stake. Those guys completely forgot Jesus's teachings on love and forgiveness. You can shape Christianity into anything you want and find support for it in the bible.
But seriously religion makes people very lazy. Both intellectually and physically.
Can't you see all the threads opened about supernatural events on Nairaland. Simple chewing of razor blades and sounds in the night are linked without any prior investigation as supernatural.
A guy opened a thread about a madman that called his full name, and he linked it to the supernatural.
This is too bad. If all humans were like this we wouldn't have known the cause of diseases or even how rain fell.

A lazy poor taxi driver in my area, prophecied that he would get a brand new car by December this year.
I asked how could it be possible, and he said with visceral passion, that God would do it for him. I asked him how and he said someone might dash him the car for free.
Just like that
So he's not even bothering to think about getting it himself.
How will this man progress when he keeps waiting for blessings from above?
When he sows seed for success rather than working hard.
Sometimes people don't think
Did Zuckerberg sow seed? Or bill gates? Or seun?

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: D by taurus25(m): 5:54pm On Nov 07, 2016
Imagine religion without hell or heaven. There would be no reward to those who believe in a particular god and live a certain way, no punishment to those who dont believe regardless or whether they satify the moral standard of the said religion.

Basically, whether hell is logical or not to them, it is the ultimate tool that drives belief, it is a means of control that at the time it was invented, was necessary to ensure conformity to rules and laws, of which the utmost reward, a paradise.

The idea of a god was a geniune plight for early man to understand the world, but religion abused this god idea in all the various forms it has taken, ascibing complete human attributes and highly illogical concepts to a supposed supreme intelligence.

It was very easy for me to become agnostic by comparing this complex universe to most god ideas conceived.

3 Likes

Re: D by taurus25(m): 6:01pm On Nov 07, 2016
Hell made sense when it was needed the most. Atleast to some extent, humans can now maintain a level of control without being scared of eternal punishment.
Re: D by EyeHateGod: 7:05pm On Nov 07, 2016
Nice thread bro..

1 Like

Re: D by hopefulLandlord: 7:22pm On Nov 07, 2016
I love this thread
from OP to the comments
atheism is spreading

1 Like

Re: D by EyeHateGod: 7:26pm On Nov 07, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
I love this thread

from OP to the comments

atheism is spreading
NL day Help Sha grin

It Is said in the book of nairaland 4:5 That people Eyes Would start To open.. After reading intellectual threads cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: D by LiberaDeus: 7:27pm On Nov 07, 2016
taurus25:
Hell made sense when it was needed the most. Atleast to some extent, humans can now maintain a level of control without being scared of eternal punishment.

I think the only control hell achieved was the control over the profits and power the medieval Catholic church exercised over Europe. I don't believe we need a doctrine of eternal torment to exercise moral restraint.

The Greeks didn't have that doctrine but they were a model of ancient civilisation.
Look at untouched natives in the northern part of the country, even in the Brazilian Amazon, without any hellish belief, they still manage to live with peace and love, its now the European idiots with their so called hellish civilisation that actually brought hell to American natives.

If gorillas, prides of lions and packs of hyenas can maintain peace among themselves without any defined belief then I think we humans can do it without hell.
Just my opinion

4 Likes

Re: D by taurus25(m): 7:53pm On Nov 07, 2016
LiberaDeus:

I think the only control hell achieved was the control over the profits and power the medieval Catholic church exercised over Europe. I don't believe we need a doctrine of eternal torment to exercise moral restraint.

The Greeks didn't have that doctrine but they were a model of ancient civilisation.
Look at untouched natives in the northern part of the country, even in the Brazilian Amazon, without any hellish belief, they still manage to live with peace and love, its now the European idiots with their so called hellish civilisation that actually brought hell to American natives.

If gorillas, prides of lions and packs of hyenas can maintain peace among themselves without any defined belief then I think we humans can do it without hell.
Just my opinion

I agree with most of your points but, a belief in hell has always been a part of most mythological and religious traditions throughout history.

Albeit in most cultures hell might not necessary be a place of
eternal torment as Abrahanism teaches.

1 Like

Re: D by EyeHateGod: 8:08pm On Nov 07, 2016
taurus25:

I agree with most of your points but, a belief in hell has always been a part of most mythological and religious traditions throughout history.

In The OT Hell[Sheol] was Not...
Re: D by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 07, 2016
taurus25:

Even local Nigerian religions didn't have a torture chamber for the evil dead and yet we maintained peace.

2 Likes

Re: D by taurus25(m): 8:15pm On Nov 07, 2016
Lennycool:

Even local Nigerian religions didn't have a torture chamber for the evil dead and yet we maintained peace.

Yes, hell as a chamber of torture was mostly a product of Abrahamic religions.

1 Like

Re: D by Wilgrea7(m): 8:25pm On Nov 07, 2016
so no christian has come to refute what this guy said

isorite...

but OP.... sincerely asking tho... i mean no insults or harm... but why do you guys attack the hell doctrine.. no atheist's description of God is complete without adding hell.. why?
Re: D by Yungkid101(m): 9:11pm On Nov 07, 2016
Lennycool:

Nice one. The pastors are even the worse, how can someone believe this life is worth less than heaven. Yet own mansions and jets?
Even atheists such as mark zuckeberg and agnostics like bill gates and warren buffet have pledged to give more than 90% of their net worth to charity. This is billions of dollars we are talking about.
How many nigerian pastors have done this?

Don't be surprise when you find out that Bill gates and Mark Zuckberg are servants of Satan in the Illumanati occultic court
Re: D by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 07, 2016
Wilgrea7:
so no christian has come to refute what this guy said

isorite...

but OP.... sincerely asking tho... i mean no insults or harm... but why do you guys attack the hell doctrine.. no atheist's description of God is complete without adding hell.. why?
Because an all loving God cannot torture his children for eternity.
Would you punish your children the way God plans to do to most humans?
It's even worse when christians now claim that God loves you more than your earthly parents.
Re: D by Nobody: 9:45pm On Nov 07, 2016
Yungkid101:

Don't be surprise when you find out that Bill gates and Mark Zuckberg are servants of Satan in the Illumanati occultic court
You mean bill gates that contributes billions to help the poor?
Mark Zuckerberg that is helping poor countries with free internet and technological support?
Both of these men plan on giving more than 90% of their net worth to charity. How can children of the devil do so much good. Especially when our so called men of God haven't done as much good as they have.
Your theory is flawed my friend.

1 Like

Re: D by Wilgrea7(m): 10:05pm On Nov 07, 2016
Lennycool:

Because an all loving God cannot torture his children for eternity.
Would you punish your children the way God plans to do to most humans?
It's even worse when christians now claim that God loves you more than your earthly parents.

you agree with me that Abraham served Yahweh whom the Muslims call Allah . ok then why do the three books of the abrahamic faiths say different things and all claim to be the word of God? either one or all of them are lying.. i don't preach an eternal hell or hell at all, be it annihilation or universalism or eternal torment or purgatory anymore.. I've seen the truth.. because i know that there is so much i don't know.. I've not read the torah, koran, taknah, talmud, dead sea scrolls and some other apocryphal books not to talk of books of other religions.. so i am no one to decide just because of one book.
ignorance is taking a cup out of the ocean and claiming you have the ocean in a cup.. all this hell you're preaching against... its just what some people believe in ... we don't know.. believing isn't knowing.

when we die we will all know
till then....

1 Like

Re: D by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 07, 2016
Wilgrea7:

you agree with me that Abraham served Yahweh whom the Muslims call Allah . ok then why do the three books of the abrahamic faiths say different things and all claim to be the word of God? either one or all of them are lying.. i don't preach an eternal hell or hell at all, be it annihilation or universalism or eternal torment or purgatory anymore.. I've seen the truth.. because i know that there is so much i don't know.. I've not read the torah, koran, taknah, talmud, dead sea scrolls and some other apocryphal books not to talk of books of other religions.. so i am no one to decide just because of one book.
ignorance is taking a cup out of the ocean and claiming you have the ocean in a cup.. all this hell you're preaching against... its just what some people believe in ... we don't know.. believing isn't knowing.

when we die we will all know
till then....
Till then my friend
Re: D by ujiriukiri(m): 11:07pm On Nov 10, 2016
Yungkid101:

"servants of satan". You have to prove that satan exists in the first place! Since you can do that, God, heaven, hell, just like satan are myths that would soon be turn to video games and movies like thor and zeus are now! More entertainment for us. woot woot!

2 Likes

Re: D by EyeHateGod: 12:05am On Nov 23, 2016
ujiriukiri:

"servants of satan". You have to prove that satan exists in the first place! Since you can do that, God, heaven, hell, just like satan are myths that would soon be turn to video games and movies like thor and zeus are now! More entertainment for us. woot woot!
That's Christianity for You... If you Don't Understand it Demonize It!
Re: D by phlio666(m): 7:14am On Nov 23, 2016
no wonder jesus said to peter will i still meet faith when i return?he saw ds generation
Re: D by hopefulLandlord: 4:10am On Nov 30, 2016
phlio666:
no wonder jesus said to peter will i still meet faith when i return?he saw ds generation

see talk o!

so he was seeing Nigerians when he said that? who gives a sheet about Peter?

(1) (Reply)

MM Praise 2018 -How To Download Or Watch Live 76hourspraise Online / The Moment Former Pres. Olusegun Obasanjo Arrived Sharon Oyakhilome's Wedding / Desiring To Go To Heaven Is A Sin!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.